ADVERTISEMENT

Texas AD-expansion in the future?

Its strange how some go out of their way to spin things so they can personally attack others and once again use negativity and lies to somehow feel better about themselves. Above, Again, I posted relevant Information that didn't come from me, it came straight from the mouth of the athletic director at the University of Texas. I simply posted this real news,

WVU is in Texas' conference. Hard to imagine why UTs AD would suggest this if all is dead behind the scenes and the conference has put the matter permanently to rest.

Therefore it's something that can have an impact on the future success of WVU athletics.

Sorry! Let it go! I won't beat up your expansion threads again. Negatively.

Buck, can you expand on your thoughts in regard to expansion?

My thoughts re: expansion are that, despite calls (and hopes from some) that the issue is dead, Texas, which doesn't lead the pro expansion pack most definitely, has stated that the issue is not dead by any means. Important because other than OU they hold the biggest pull in the conference from a leadership perspective.

Despite cries from those on the outside and those with an agenda for the BIG 12 to collapse, the actual members of the BIG 12 aren't on board with collapsing the league or moving elsewhere for a variety of reasons and want to make their conference as strong as possible.

The BIG 12 must be working on ways to generate more revenue and also improve their on field situation in regards to recruiting and winning and making the playoff.

Expansion is the only thing that will address these needs. Some form of conference network is going to be a must -especially once the ACC has one in a couple of years. A network brings schools 24/7 exposure and recruits. You can't have a network without more inventory (whether streaming, on Hulu or Netflix, with a broadcast partner or whatever form it might take).

Making the playoff is a major priority and they've left their best opportunity on the table knowing that (at least) a 12 team conference is their best chance to actually make playoff games, not having a 10 team rematch.

There's too much revenue and too many schools that several states are supporting to sit back until the mid 20's to see who may stay or leave based on what other conferences or entities want to be. Don't think they'll do that.

There are things on the fringes that may affect in conference decisions. Such as schools in the PAC 12 very upset with the revenues distributed and PACnets. A push for those in the G5 to have their own playoff which some will not agree to. UConn investigating moving basketball and other sports into the BE (which they'ved denied again) if they can find a football home. New bowl contracts to be signed in 2019 (meaning revenue possibilities) as well as the AAC contract expiring in the 2018-2019 time frame. Also can't overlook poor overall recruiting and being left out of the playoff two of three years so far. The Big Ten schools are getting a major financial jump soon and others will be trying as best they can to keep pace with that.

Next years 10 team CCG outcome (as well as playoff berth or not) will play a major role in things coming down the pike for the conference most likely.

Last edited:
Reactions: still5-0vstarheels
David Ubben chimes in on the matter about possible steps forward as he sees things:

With Big 12 expansion talk refusing to go away, here’s a look at two possible scenarios

excerpt:
The Big 12 would expand if it had a suitable candidate. For now, it doesn’t, but nobody is more equipped to ignite an expansion discussion than Texas’ athletic director.

For now, that’s Mike Perrin, who told the Austin American-Statesman he “wouldn’t be surprised to see something happen” in Big 12 expansion before his tenure is up in August 2018.....

Two scenarios stand out.

The first is a waiting game for the Big 12....

.If the Big 12 continues to prove it will be closer to the Big Ten and SEC in revenue, it gains a foothold in convincing Pac-12 members to make a cash grab. That’s what realignment decisions are. Arizona and Arizona State have only been Pac-12 members since 1978.

The Big 12 has enjoyed a relatively calm period of stability since Texas A&M and Missouri left, and no longer faces annual questions in the offseason about conference implosion, even if Texas and Oklahoma remaining in the league isn’t a given. Still, bringing in two Power 5 programs would further cement the league’s future.

If there’s a “wow” move to be made for the Big 12 in expansion, that’s the one....

Is it that unrealistic to wonder if another school with a new-ish face on the sidelines– hey there, Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF or USF– got on a run, it could be viewed very differently if the league revisited the expansion conversation?

The league’s recruiting and NFL talent production is down as the Texas talent pool gets more crowded. Adding a new territory — like Florida — would be welcomed for coaches and could only help the financial bottom line.
Ok, I'll point out the obvious. Sure would be enjoyable to beat the living crap out of Frod. Oh, the look on his face...

My thoughts re: expansion are that, despite calls (and hopes from some) that the issue is dead, Texas, which doesn't lead the pro expansion pack most definitely, has stated that the issue is not dead by any means. Important because other than OU they hold the biggest pull in the conference from a leadership perspective.

Despite cries from those on the outside and those with an agenda for the BIG 12 to collapse, the actual members of the BIG 12 aren't on board with collapsing the league or moving elsewhere for a variety of reasons and want to make their conference as strong as possible.

The BIG 12 must be working on ways to generate more revenue and also improve their on field situation in regards to recruiting and winning and making the playoff.

Expansion is the only thing that will address these needs. Some form of conference network is going to be a must -especially once the ACC has one in a couple of years. A network brings schools 24/7 exposure and recruits. You can't have a network without more inventory (whether streaming, on Hulu or Netflix, with a broadcast partner or whatever form it might take).

Making the playoff is a major priority and they've left their best opportunity on the table knowing that (at least) a 12 team conference is their best chance to actually make playoff games, not having a 10 team rematch.

There's too much revenue and too many schools that several states are supporting to sit back until the mid 20's to see who may stay or leave based on what other conferences or entities want to be. Don't think they'll do that.

There are things on the fringes that may affect in conference decisions. Such as schools in the PAC 12 very upset with the revenues distributed and PACnets. A push for those in the G5 to have their own playoff which some will not agree to. UConn investigating moving basketball and other sports into the BE (which they'ved denied again) if they can find a football home. New bowl contracts to be signed in 2019 (meaning revenue possibilities) as well as the AAC contract expiring in the 2018-2019 time frame. Also can't overlook poor overall recruiting and being left out of the playoff two of three years so far. The Big Ten schools are getting a major financial jump soon and others will be trying as best they can to keep pace with that.

Next years 10 team CCG outcome (as well as playoff berth or not) will play a major role in things coming down the pike for the conference most likely.
PRFM-107560.jpg

I've read many of your postings. Seriously, you should just go away.
Well here is the problem as I see it. I am a WVU fan and WVU graduate on a WVU sports board. You are a Marshal fan and may have graduated from somewhere, on a WVU sports board. I am not going anywhere. So you could just not log on to a WVU sports board and solve the problem.

Anyone with any common sense knows the big 12 missed the boat on expansion and its not gonna happen anytime soon unless you want non power five left over scrubs.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Well here is the problem as I see it. I am a WVU fan and WVU graduate on a WVU sports board. You are a Marshal fan and may have graduated from somewhere, on a WVU sports board. I am not going anywhere. So you could just not log on to a WVU sports board and solve the problem.

You're not very good at this internet tough guy thing. You've basically become the site mascot. Congrats!

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
Repost to get the thread back where it belongs with a restart:

Here's what Texas' AD Perrin told Kirk Bohls this week:

"Perrin also said he “wouldn’t be surprised to see something happen” with future Big 12 expansion"
I think the majority of fans care about expansion but at this time most have expansion fatigue. we have been hearing rumors for years now and nothing ever comes of it. The statement might have come from the Texas ad but in the end its the presidents and board of regents that have the final say and he is not bound to his word. If sources are correct the current Big 12 GOR runs through 2025 so no decision has to be made anytime soon. The big 12 we eventually have to seriously address this before the expiration of the current GOR but with 7 years until that date they can continue to drag their feet which the have currently done to this point.

I think the majority of fans care about expansion but at this time most have expansion fatigue. we have been hearing rumors for years now and nothing ever comes of it. The statement might have come from the Texas ad but in the end its the presidents and board of regents that have the final say and he is not bound to his word. If sources are correct the current Big 12 GOR runs through 2025 so no decision has to be made anytime soon. The big 12 we eventually have to seriously address this before the expiration of the current GOR but with 7 years until that date they can continue to drag their feet which the have currently done to this point.

There are several things taking place prior to 2025 that push up the timeframe the BIG 12 has to take action.

First of course is that in 2 of 3 years the BIG 12 has been left out of the playoff. This makes action in the near term of some sort critical.

Next, the Big Ten schools are getting a large increase in revenues as soon as next year. This puts pressure on other conferences to keep pace as several schools won't be ok with falling behind the Purdues and Northwesterns of the world for long.

In 2019 the ACC starts getting more money from their network--further putting pressure on others to maintain advantage or keep pace.

In 2022 the Big Ten will negotiate new TV contracts and in 2023 the Pac 12 will. This may be close enough to GORs to buy them out depending on revenues gained in the new contract.

Sitting back for 7 years isn't really an option--and surely some in the conference realize this. We don't know what they'll do, but the Texas AD at least believes they'll revisit expansion in the near term.

Just to add to the above-- the Big Ten's next new contract will take effect in 2023-2024. They'll be negotiating with networks by 2022 at the latest. This means if they are trying to grow bigger, they'll be approaching new members by 2021 so that if someone accepts an invitation the money can be worked out for that new contract beginning in 2024.

2017-18
2018-19
2019-20
2020-21

That's how long the BIG 12 has until taking action may be too late. It's now nearly March 2017.

Is this nothing more than a publicity stunt? Are they expanding because they have already chosen their teams 3 years ago. Is it a plead by Texas to keep OU from leaving the conference. If OU decides to leave, the conference will tumble and fall. Then Texas becomes independent. WVU goes on the search and beg for another P5 conference.
Not likely. Texas likes being kingpin in a Texas centric league, and in spite of opinions to the contrary, Texas and OU are joined at the hip like Ohio State and Michigan. It is more likely a couple of Pac 12 programs jump to the XII, and sensing stability Florida State, which has never been happy in the ACC, makes the move. That could bring Georgia Tech along for the ride. It would help greatly if Texas takes the Longhorn Network, and converts it into a conference network.

I don't believe he realized I was making fun of him, so he blessed me with a 500 word essay reply. Maybe it was a 1,000 word essay. Not sure, didn't read it.
Perhaps you should have. It would sure make a lot more sense than anybody with a heartbeat supporting Marshall.

I heard a guy at the supermarket talking to the assistant butcher who has a friend who is dating someone from the athletic department at a Div II school in the midwest corner of Alaska who said a source close to him had heard that the wife of the athletic director at a Big 12 school was having an affair with a member of the staff at another Big 12 school who confirmed that expansion is not dead...probably.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT