ADVERTISEMENT

Texas AD-expansion in the future?

Maybe the Big 12 could invite Ohio State to give Oklahoma and Texas some company at the bottom of the basketball standings.

David Ubben chimes in on the matter about possible steps forward as he sees things:

With Big 12 expansion talk refusing to go away, here’s a look at two possible scenarios

excerpt:
The Big 12 would expand if it had a suitable candidate. For now, it doesn’t, but nobody is more equipped to ignite an expansion discussion than Texas’ athletic director.

For now, that’s Mike Perrin, who told the Austin American-Statesman he “wouldn’t be surprised to see something happen” in Big 12 expansion before his tenure is up in August 2018.....

Two scenarios stand out.

The first is a waiting game for the Big 12....

.If the Big 12 continues to prove it will be closer to the Big Ten and SEC in revenue, it gains a foothold in convincing Pac-12 members to make a cash grab. That’s what realignment decisions are. Arizona and Arizona State have only been Pac-12 members since 1978.

The Big 12 has enjoyed a relatively calm period of stability since Texas A&M and Missouri left, and no longer faces annual questions in the offseason about conference implosion, even if Texas and Oklahoma remaining in the league isn’t a given. Still, bringing in two Power 5 programs would further cement the league’s future.

If there’s a “wow” move to be made for the Big 12 in expansion, that’s the one....

Is it that unrealistic to wonder if another school with a new-ish face on the sidelines– hey there, Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF or USF– got on a run, it could be viewed very differently if the league revisited the expansion conversation?

The league’s recruiting and NFL talent production is down as the Texas talent pool gets more crowded. Adding a new territory — like Florida — would be welcomed for coaches and could only help the financial bottom line.

Is this nothing more than a publicity stunt? Are they expanding because they have already chosen their teams 3 years ago. Is it a plead by Texas to keep OU from leaving the conference. If OU decides to leave, the conference will tumble and fall. Then Texas becomes independent. WVU goes on the search and beg for another P5 conference.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Maybe the Big 12 could invite Ohio State to give Oklahoma and Texas some company at the bottom of the basketball standings.
Wow, Ohio State, which has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion (now or ever), is embedded deeply in your thick skull, isn't it? Mike Carey objects to your suggestion, as the Lady Mountaineers are 0-13 vs. the Lady Buckeyes all-time. Have a nice day.

Is this nothing more than a publicity stunt? Are they expanding because they have already chosen their teams 3 years ago. Is it a plead by Texas to keep OU from leaving the conference. If OU decides to leave, the conference will tumble and fall. Then Texas becomes independent. WVU goes on the search and beg for another P5 conference.

The conference isn't expanding at this moment nor does it have open active committees working on that.
The Texas AD discussing that he sees it as possible in the future shows the issue isn't dead among members however.

The reasons they would expand are the same as for anyone-better exposure, better recruiting, more success and more money. Right now they are at a disadvantage to other P5 conferences and expansion is the only means to keep pace long term. No one in the conference such as OU is trying to leave but if the conference is still disadvantaged when the Big Ten comes up for renewal?

The real question is will the Big 12 membership sit by like sheep until that time, or will they become proactive. Texas AD seems to believe they very well might become proactive

Wow, Ohio State, which has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion (now or ever), is embedded deeply in your thick skull, isn't it? Mike Carey objects to your suggestion, as the Lady Mountaineers are 0-13 vs. the Lady Buckeyes all-time. Have a nice day.
Now that was below the belt and uncalled for.

What does this have to do with anything?

Is there a computer glich or are you a little off in the head?

btw have a nice day to you too.

What does this have to do with anything?

Is there a computer glich or are you a little off in the head?

btw have a nice day to you too.
Ask the guy who is so obsessed with the Buckeyes that he decided to drag Ohio State into a Big 12 expansion discussion, and take a cheap shot at tOSU. If you truly are an engineer, then you should be able to figure out why I responded in the manner that I did.

I don't know who you're talking About

Btw I'm putting you on ignore. It eliminates the problem. It's what engineers do.

You Still have a nice day though

I don't know who you're talking About

Btw I'm putting you on ignore. It eliminates the problem. It's what engineers do.

You Still have a nice day though
The OSU dude is a total troll, never adds anything to a discussion and his only smack is calling people names. Typical delusional MVU fan. By putting him on ignore you miss nothing of value.

Last edited:
What does Arizona and Arizona State do for WVU in the Big 12?

Yes they are a Power 5 conference and would broaden the market but going to 12 with them makes us more of an odd man out.

If you go to 14 with AZ, ASU, BYU and Cincy - then that make it more doable for us.

Arizona and ASU were born from a couple of places. 1st, the idea that ONLY P5 schools could possibly be worth anything in BIG 12 expansion scenario---that means you'd have to identify some P5 schools that legitimately could be seen willing to move one day to the BIG 12. Someone wrote an article that maybe Arizona should consider moving and voila there it was.

The other thing is the failure of the PAC to generate money for its members. Even the lowest payouts to BIG 12 members of tier 3 TV money is double what schools like Oregon and USC are getting from the PACnets--and so that gives media writers and those that have determined the BIG 12 must have P5 schools to expand possible candidates for that.

But what PAC and BIG 12 members receive as a whole for media rights is similar.

The only thing for sure is that the BIG 12 is at a growing disadvantage, and that simply playing a 10 team CCG rematch isn't going to address any of their future needs.

The OSU dude is a total troll, never adds anything to a discussion and his only smack is calling people names. Typical delusional MVU fan. By putting him on ignore you miss nothing of value.
So says the clown who is stuck in the 1960s and beating his frail chest about peach-basket victories. People in Chapel Hill must pee their pants laughing at you, as they compare UNC's resume to yours or 95% of other programs.

Lol, women's basketball smack!

David Ubben chimes in on the matter about possible steps forward as he sees things:

With Big 12 expansion talk refusing to go away, here’s a look at two possible scenarios

excerpt:
The Big 12 would expand if it had a suitable candidate. For now, it doesn’t, but nobody is more equipped to ignite an expansion discussion than Texas’ athletic director.

For now, that’s Mike Perrin, who told the Austin American-Statesman he “wouldn’t be surprised to see something happen” in Big 12 expansion before his tenure is up in August 2018.....

Two scenarios stand out.

The first is a waiting game for the Big 12....

.If the Big 12 continues to prove it will be closer to the Big Ten and SEC in revenue, it gains a foothold in convincing Pac-12 members to make a cash grab. That’s what realignment decisions are. Arizona and Arizona State have only been Pac-12 members since 1978.

The Big 12 has enjoyed a relatively calm period of stability since Texas A&M and Missouri left, and no longer faces annual questions in the offseason about conference implosion, even if Texas and Oklahoma remaining in the league isn’t a given. Still, bringing in two Power 5 programs would further cement the league’s future.

If there’s a “wow” move to be made for the Big 12 in expansion, that’s the one....

Is it that unrealistic to wonder if another school with a new-ish face on the sidelines– hey there, Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF or USF– got on a run, it could be viewed very differently if the league revisited the expansion conversation?

The league’s recruiting and NFL talent production is down as the Texas talent pool gets more crowded. Adding a new territory — like Florida — would be welcomed for coaches and could only help the financial bottom line.

You're such a loser man. Expansion is and has been summed up with one fact. The Big12 missed the boat!!!! Embrace that and own that and then you'll see a little more clearly. So, if Texas/Oklahoma stay Big12 stays at 10 or finally brings on two garbage programs. If either program aleaves bye bye Big12. Why do you waste so much time doing this crap? Because you're a loser that's why haha.

Texas Big10 or ACC. Simple math

So says the clown who is stuck in the 1960s and beating his frail chest about peach-basket victories. People in Chapel Hill must pee their pants laughing at you, as they compare UNC's resume to yours or 95% of other programs.

Funny!!!

Reality: Texas' AD says he believes expansion could be in the BIG 12s future after all.

Fantasy: Buckaineer is crazy, etc. etc. for discussing this news, and Texas is moving to the Big Ten or ACC.

Reality: Texas' AD says he believes expansion could be in the BIG 12s future after all.

Fantasy: Buckaineer is crazy, etc. etc. for discussing this news, and Texas is moving to the Big Ten or ACC.
Reality is you've been posting this garbage for the last 3 years and nothing ever happens. The future doesn't have a definite time limit. It could mean one minute or millions of years. The Big 12 Gor doesn't expire until 2025 so they don't exactly have to make a decision any time soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rootmaster
I have never said you are crazy. You are Definitely laser focused on a single issue that is likely to not ever happen or for at least 5-8 more years. And I believe it's a good thing (unless there are better and "more cultural fit" schools to choose from).

But I have never said you are crazy. At least not out loud.

You're such a loser man. Expansion is and has been summed up with one fact. The Big12 missed the boat!!!! Embrace that and own that and then you'll see a little more clearly. So, if Texas/Oklahoma stay Big12 stays at 10 or finally brings on two garbage programs. If either program aleaves bye bye Big12. Why do you waste so much time doing this crap? Because you're a loser that's why haha.
You can make your point without getting personal.

Reactions: Woody in Helvetia
Texas Big10 or ACC. Simple math

counting-money-3.gif

Texas has money and can pull off independent.

Simple math of Texas is big money. Ranked 25th as the most wealthy alumni. Notre Dame not listed in top 25. Most of the top 25 were Yale, Harvard, Boston U....you know the Ivy League schools. One thing that surprised me was Stanford at #2.

Texas in Big 10 not a good move for them. ACC possibility. Hope WVU can go with them.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
counting-money-3.gif

Texas has money and can pull off independent.

Simple math of Texas is big money. Ranked 25th as the most wealthy alumni. Notre Dame not listed in top 25. Most of the top 25 were Yale, Harvard, Boston U....you know the Ivy League schools. One thing that surprised me was Stanford at #2.

Texas in Big 10 not a good move for them. ACC possibility. Hope WVU can go with them.

Funny gif. Saved it!!!

You can make your point without getting personal.

Fair Vernon and I'll clean it up but some of the posts that are directed at me are disgraceful. I just give it back without reporting it. No worries I'll clean it up. You run a good site. I'll be on pay site this summer.

I pick Fantasy but you may want to move this into a poll.

Fair Vernon and I'll clean it up but some of the posts that are directed at me are disgraceful. I just give it back without reporting it. No worries I'll clean it up. You run a good site. I'll be on pay site this summer.
Thank you. I know things get a little crazy in these threads and I don't mind a little shot at each other here and there but when it starts to get nasty things need to be toned down a little.

Vernon...I am not defending any "personal" attacks but folks who post here are well versed in these attacks...quite often from the Buck. Can't speak for Greg but I know I have been on the receiving end...from Buck. The words moron pop in his descriptions often lol. Keep up the good work though. Great forum.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
There is scarcely a thread I've posted in where posters such as Rootmaster and Greg Jacobs and others haven't rushed to personally attack myself or others, or otherwise troll the thread with no information or discussion provided. Just nonsense and vitriol and derailing bunk.

Very odd. Very wasteful of everyones time and energy.

Take out the trolling posts and here you'll have some serious real information that will impact the future of WVU athletics and the beginnings of some discussion about that.

I'm certain there are at least a few people here concerned about the future of WVU athletics and the makeup of WVU's conference. If so feel free to post your thoughts. If on the other hand you are here to stoke your ego and or troll? Go somewhere else to deal with your ego problems.

The ACC would love to rid themselves of BC and spitt...they now realize that BC doesn't bring the Boston market with them and well...spitt...brings nothing either...mediocrity with a fan base that cares more about the Steelers and Pens than anything that happens in Oakland.

Ok, I'll bite. I could see U Colorado coming back to the Big 12 if the finances are better. There are some past rivalries that are pretty natural, and I think their fan base would go along if the $$ made sense.

And the ND tie-in with the ACC to make 17 teams is awkward. I. The long haul, I could see ND getting into the Big 12 due to the way Tier 3 rights are handled. Or maybe the ACC will eventually take in ND and find a way to graciously kick one of their lower revenue producers to the curb. The Big 12 would be better off taking that leftover (Pitt/Wake/BC/Cuse) than a non power 5 team.

Lgm!

There is scarcely a thread I've posted in where posters such as Rootmaster and Greg Jacobs and others haven't rushed to personally attack myself or others, or otherwise troll the thread with no information or discussion provided. Just nonsense and vitriol and derailing bunk.

Very odd. Very wasteful of everyones time and energy.

Take out the trolling posts and here you'll have some serious real information that will impact the future of WVU athletics and the beginnings of some discussion about that.

I'm certain there are at least a few people here concerned about the future of WVU athletics and the makeup of WVU's conference. If so feel free to post your thoughts. If on the other hand you are here to stoke your ego and or troll? Go somewhere else to deal with your ego problems.

Buck the reason why I bust your balls is because you just flip crap on here that isn't news. Nothing relevant. You're obsessed with all things expansion and your conjectures are a joke. You add no value with these threads. Only lame regurgitated conjectures. No worries man I'll leave you and your expansion threads alone. Carry on.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
Buck the reason why I bust your balls is because you just flip crap on here that isn't news. Nothing relevant. You're obsessed with all things expansion and your conjectures are a joke. You add no value with these threads. Only lame regurgitated conjectures. No worries man I'll leave you and your expansion threads alone. Carry on.
Its funny how buck continues to fall for this articles. You would think he would wise up considering he's spent years posting the same old nonsense.

Its strange how some go out of their way to spin things so they can personally attack others and once again use negativity and lies to somehow feel better about themselves. Above, Again, I posted relevant Information that didn't come from me, it came straight from the mouth of the athletic director at the University of Texas. I simply posted this real news,

WVU is in Texas' conference. Hard to imagine why UTs AD would suggest this if all is dead behind the scenes and the conference has put the matter permanently to rest.

Therefore it's something that can have an impact on the future success of WVU athletics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT