ADVERTISEMENT

Stanley Cup Champ Pens ...October

Outside the Cryers....and Craps....and maybe the Rangers....there's nobody in the League I dislike more than whoever John Tortorella is coaching. That said, did you happen to notice Columbus just wrapped up their West Coast swing + Dallas with 5 points (and a 4-0 win last night in Anaheim) ??

Admittedly, none of those teams (aside San Jose, at least) are playing THAT well thus far this season. Still, that's not a bad stretch for ANYONE in the League against that group on the road.

Who knows, maybe all those CBJ cement heads are finally beginning to hear Torts' message......while Bob out there pitching shutouts, you'd think, typically WILL help their cause.

Of course, the Pens started their own West Coast swing last night in Philly......and like the CBJ in Dallas a week ago Friday, they kicked off this road trip with 2 points. I myself am expecting......or perhaps HOPING is a better word....they can come home in a week with a minimum 6 points in these 4 games.

Maybe that's a lot to ask; after all, the LAK, SJS, and Ducks will be SLIGHTLY more prepared for the Cup Champs than the team they just played who finished last season in the conference basement. And, it's no secret the Pens have NOT been a very good road team thus far this season.

I'm particularly anxious to see Matt Murray back in goal; not sure if he'll play WED in Anaheim or THU in LA. I also find myself wondering if HCMS already has him penciled in for next Saturday's early season rematch in San Jose.

ADDENDUM: I'M ALSO NOT VERY FOND OF THE ISLANDERS.......OR THE BRUINS OR RED WINGS......IN THAT LISTING ABOVE OF TEAMS I DON'T LIKE VERY MUCH.

Reactions: torontoeers
Oh, big (non-Pens) news for COOL MAN here early on a Monday morning......just learned I'll be attending a 3-day meeting in Tampa in early January, and it appears our group will be spending our last night in town at the Sabres/Lightning game on 1/12 :cool2:

Reactions: torontoeers
One last hockey-related issue (not applying strictly to the Penguins).....

I just re-upped this morning for NHL Center Ice and learned today (OCT 31) is the last day for the early bird special which I believe.....and I could be wrong about this.....saves something like $30US off the standard rate which kicks-in tomorrow. I believe t buys Center Ice up in GTA, though I don't know who else around here wants/needs it as we do. This promotional package is 4 monthly installments of $34.99US/month ($139.96 total).

Typically, I watch the Center Ice Free Preview until pretty much the last minute....which is either tomorrow or Wednesday (depending upon whose website you're reading). I always question if I should buy the package.......and I've ended up saying yes for the past several seasons......though I expect to be away from home much more this season than last (when I was on the sidelines thru January).

Unfortunately, it's never appeared as though this specific programming is available to me through a remote login on my computer, which would help when I'm in a hotel room. But who knows; maybe that will change this season.

One last hockey-related issue (not applying strictly to the Penguins).....

I just re-upped this morning for NHL Center Ice and learned today (OCT 31) is the last day for the early bird special which I believe.....and I could be wrong about this.....saves something like $30US off the standard rate which kicks-in tomorrow. I believe t buys Center Ice up in GTA, though I don't know who else around here wants/needs it as we do. This promotional package is 4 monthly installments of $34.99US/month ($139.96 total).

Typically, I watch the Center Ice Free Preview until pretty much the last minute....which is either tomorrow or Wednesday (depending upon whose website you're reading). I always question if I should buy the package.......and I've ended up saying yes for the past several seasons......though I expect to be away from home much more this season than last (when I was on the sidelines thru January).

Unfortunately, it's never appeared as though this specific programming is available to me through a remote login on my computer, which would help when I'm in a hotel room. But who knows; maybe that will change this season.
Seems you're pretty damn close to the price point I'm at here...so at least I know I'm not getting it completely up the hoop lol...

And now that you mention it i'm a bit shocked they aren't more on the ball with the remote log in by now? I don't have too much need for it as I don't travel for work, but there are obviously thousands like yourself who would surely appreciate the option! I seem to recall from a few CM posts last year your wondering on whether or not you'd be able to get the Pens game...this is surely a no brainer on their part nowadays no???

Last edited:
Outside the Cryers....and Craps....and maybe the Rangers....there's nobody in the League I dislike more than whoever John Tortorella is coaching. That said, did you happen to notice Columbus just wrapped up their West Coast swing + Dallas with 5 points (and a 4-0 win last night in Anaheim) ??

Admittedly, none of those teams (aside San Jose, at least) are playing THAT well thus far this season. Still, that's not a bad stretch for ANYONE in the League against that group on the road.

Who knows, maybe all those CBJ cement heads are finally beginning to hear Torts' message......while Bob out there pitching shutouts, you'd think, typically WILL help their cause.
They BJ's over the last few years have become my most hated team(Leaves aside)...and the real knee slapper is...THEY'RE SHIT (until this past week apparently ), and well there is the jackass Torts factor. A bigger group of headhunters I'm not sure i've seen around the league. I seriously hope they are past that idiot stage by now....I honestly worry every time the Pens hit the ice vs them that someone will be irreparably maimed.

Hey t, is there much talk in GTA about this notion that teams (like the Pens) will be trying to cut deals with Las Vegas NOT to pick available unprotected players like Matt Murray) ?? I haven't heard specifically if the League (or the Union) is OK with this idea.

But the Flower/Murray situation simply CAN'T be the only one out there like this as we approach the expansion draft next summer. And you'd think there are deals out there for George McPhee to turn his cheek on specific players in return for possibly decent picks (or even established pros who could probably play for Vegas on Day 1).

Anyway, what would YOU offer McPhee to forget about Murray under such circumstances ?? And if you were McPhee, what would you demand from Pittsburgh......would you just say "what have I got to lose" and demand a #1 pick ?? For THAT reason alone, I seriously doubt GMJR can run the risk being at McPhee's mercy, and will (if necessary) have a fire sale for Flower at the trade deadline.....or more likely, much earlier.
Wow...first...what would I offer....thinking lol...........I am a bit muddy on the rules as to what would be allowed by league rules on this...are picks or cash allowed for such a request? 'future considerations ' which can be a broad term in itself, you likely more than I would have more knowledge on the business end of these sort of dealings ...I would definitely shoot him some cash to go elsewhere should MAF be on the books, a first? yikes...I suppose that depends on where the Pens are come February . ...I really hope GMJR is doing his level best to shop and pump up the tires on MAF...So long as Murray is the man, which I would expect him to be...
However this certainly will be an interesting few months should Flower remain on the roster late. He will want to showcase him for potential trade (and he's looked pretty good thus far), yet still ensure MM is his man in the meat of this season...I guess this expansion really is starting to add some drama into this year's league...can't wait till it unfolds big time come Feb/March!

Oh and yes...it is getting HUGE traction on radio (my early morning/ late afternoon source) here!

I leave it to you CM to start the November thread with the Ducks looming large on Wed...and LA following. Which BTW...with Quick on the shelf seemingly long term it is becoming painfully obvious the Kings need a quality netminder right now . ...will GMJR make the trip to chat in person? I suggest he does!!!

BTW. ..did you see Sutter's comments re: Kings goaltending a couple days after the Quick injury by chance CM? 'We have some goalies ready waiting in the wings , real good one's'...LMFAO. Campbell (completely and totally unproven), Zatkoff (as we know a back up/minor leager with limitations), and Budaj . ...I mean this one's really the best, a journeyman and nothing more ever...I know he doesn't want to disparage them but...is he F'N serious? [roll]

Last edited:
Here's another query for you fellas....it is still VERY early but...seeing as the Habs are currently on top, and the Preds are effectively in the basement...just let me throw this one out there......
Should the Habs make the post season, the Preds don't and Weber wins the Norris...Poile ? After all these years...on the chopping block? This was a blockbuster in an age where we seldom see them anymore....yours truly's vision of the deal was an immediate WIN for Montreal and Nashville winning on the back end ...I admit I am a much bigger Weber fan than Subban (although I 100% commend him for putting his money where his fairly big mouth is).....so what do ya think? :popcorn:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT