ADVERTISEMENT

Stanley Cup Champ Pens ...October

torontoeers

All-American
Nov 20, 2010
Port Perry Ontario
Well....it seems Maatta still has slow feet....and they pot one on Flower after the requisite recovery from our lads miss at the other end...Cmon fellas. Get the stars outta your eyes from that banner raising.

It was a short off season thankfully :smiley:....but ....did you fellas miss this as much as I did? Yes I know...of course!

Kid in the candy store again lol...

And it seems although I'm not huge Sestito fan...at least there is somebody on the ice to take care of that asshat Wilson!

I can't believe that from Williams on Geno?!?:WTF??? Talk about a blatant attempt to injure! 2 for roughing??? You should have a date with the league Mr. Williams...wow.

Wow! Big stones by Flower tonight! And....#81!....where was player 8 with a chance to extend it? Actually where was he all night as usual? Lmao. Poor feller...

Wow! Big stones by Flower tonight! And....#81!....where was player 8 with a chance to extend it? Actually where was he all night as usual? Lmao. Poor feller...
Awesome game! Loved seeing #29 stonewall Ovechkin on the final shot in the shootout! I agree with you completely about William's hit on #71. It warranted more than a two minute minor and he definitely should receive a fine and (or) suspension.

Last edited:
Awesome game! Loved seeing #29 stonewall Ovechkin on the final shot in the shootout! I agree with you completely about William's hit on #71. It warranted more than a two minute minor and he definitely should receive a fine and (or) suspension.

I was thinking that myself, though I'm not sure exactly what kind of call the stripes would make (and that's even though I agree that Williams was perfectly happy to take Geno out of the game).

Maybe a double roughing minor, but those are usually saved for borderline fights. Plus, we all know that lots of things are let go during scrums (which Williams self-created on the play). I also think Geno's size was a factor in the soft call....even though it shouldn't have been. Finally, the stripes presumably just flat didn't want the Pens to have an extended advantage at that point of a really close game. After 36 hours to evaluate, I know you all appreciate my informed assessment :wink:

But #8's no-show in that game was huge; I still can't figure out why a guy with his sheer firepower is screwing around with deking the goaltender in a shootout. You'd think if he just pulled the trigger in one manner or another.....like Kessel did.....he'd have the advantage over most anyone. Speaking of Kessel, his was a downright sick shot......come to think of it, every goal scored in that shootout (on both sides) was sah-weeeet.

But even if the Pens were outplayed, I'm always delighted taking the extra point from the Craps.

I was thinking that myself, though I'm not sure exactly what kind of call the stripes would make (and that's even though I agree that Williams was perfectly happy to take Geno out of the game).

Maybe a double roughing minor, but those are usually saved for borderline fights. Plus, we all know that lots of things are let go during scrums (which Williams self-created on the play). I also think Geno's size was a factor in the soft call....even though it shouldn't have been. Finally, the stripes presumably just flat didn't want the Pens to have an extended advantage at that point of a really close game. After 36 hours to evaluate, I know you all appreciate my informed assessment :wink:

But #8's no-show in that game was huge; I still can't figure out why a guy with his sheer firepower is screwing around with deking the goaltender in a shootout. You'd think if he just pulled the trigger in one manner or another.....like Kessel did.....he'd have the advantage over most anyone. Speaking of Kessel, his was a downright sick shot......come to think of it, every goal scored in that shootout (on both sides) was sah-weeeet.

But even if the Pens were outplayed, I'm always delighted taking the extra point from the Craps.

Did he get suspended? I wish somebody in the league would hurt him very badly

Did he get suspended? I wish somebody in the league would hurt him very badly
And I wish the league would start dealing with some of these headhunting Asshats in a firmer manner...then again I think you OM1 and the rest of us have said this before too many times...wouldn't every fan in the league rather watch Geno rather than Williams? I mean this example can be applied to numerous stars around the league! Fix it NHL!

Let's hope the boys stay pistol hot in these next few...would love to have a great start and create some early breathing room...

And....how bout those MOUNTAINEERS!!![banana]....yeah, I think we're all on cloud 9 at 5-0. Well done lads...really hoping Crawford is OK. We will need him....[WVU]

Reactions: Euell
Missed the first period and a half......but these two teams are flying tonight.

Pens have 4 games in the next 6 nights:
  • MON 10/17 -- Colorado
  • TUE 10/18 -- at Montreal
  • THU 10/20 -- San Jose
  • SAT 10/22 -- at Nashville
You have to figure Flower will play either tonight or tomorrow night, plus the THU and SAT games.....which begs the basic question as to who'll start tonight. I know Flower likes to play in Montreal.....but I also know that when the first night of a back-to-backer is a Home game, he typically gets that start.

I think I'd like to see Condon get his first start with the Pens against the Canadiens, if for no other reason than he should be fairly comfortable playing in the Bell Centre. But I don't know if his enthusiasm at getting a shot at his old team will overcome the nervousness he'd understandably feel.

Pens have 4 games in the next 6 nights:
  • MON 10/17 -- Colorado
  • TUE 10/18 -- at Montreal
  • THU 10/20 -- San Jose
  • SAT 10/22 -- at Nashville
You have to figure Flower will play either tonight or tomorrow night, plus the THU and SAT games.....which begs the basic question as to who'll start tonight. I know Flower likes to play in Montreal.....but I also know that when the first night of a back-to-backer is a Home game, he typically gets that start.

I think I'd like to see Condon get his first start with the Pens against the Canadiens, if for no other reason than he should be fairly comfortable playing in the Bell Centre. But I don't know if his enthusiasm at getting a shot at his old team will overcome the nervousness he'd understandably feel.

I hadn't thought about it but 6 games in the first 10 nights of the season is odd. I was surprised by the Condon signing and honestly don't expect much from him other than a warm body until Murray returns.

You guys may vaguely recall my complaints about the Pens' schedule last season, in which their conference schedule.....especially with Flyers, Islanders, and Rangers.....was virtually 100% back-ended until after the New Year. As it turned out, that proved to be very advantageous for a team who didn't start to play really well until the New Year.

With that in mind, I just took a look at this year's schedule and noticed they play fully half this season's conference schedule (14 games) before 1/1/17......whereas last season they played only 7 divisional games before New Year's Day.
  • CAR -- 1 game
  • CBJ -- 1 game
  • NJD -- 3 games
  • NYI -- 3 games
  • NYR -- 3 games
  • PHL -- 1 game
  • WAS -- 2 games
For the record.....in the last 30 days of the season (beginning 2/9/17)......the Pens play the Cryers, Devils, and Rangers twice.....and the Blue Jackets, Canes, and Islanders once each. Their season series with the Craps is done on JAN 16

I hadn't thought about it but 6 games in the first 10 nights of the season is odd. I was surprised by the Condon signing and honestly don't expect much from him other than a warm body until Murray returns.

I obviously haven't looked at everyone's schedule.....but from what I heard in the preseason, the entire League schedule was going to be condensed because of the WCH, and is the reason why you're seeing so many early games crammed together.

As for Murray, I don't believe I've read anything recently about his estimated time to return to the lineup. I also don't know if Condon is a send-to-WB/S candidate once that happens, or if he'll just be released.

For now, I'd like to see the team keep him.....if for no other reason than I don't think anyone associated with the Pens currently wants much to do with Tristan Jarry in the event of more injuries in goal (or at such time that Flower is traded).

I obviously haven't looked at everyone's schedule.....but from what I heard in the preseason, the entire League schedule was going to be condensed because of the WCH, and is the reason why you're seeing so many early games crammed together.

As for Murray, I don't believe I've read anything recently about his estimated time to return to the lineup. I also don't know if Condon is a send-to-WB/S candidate once that happens, or if he'll just be released.

For now, I'd like to see the team keep him.....if for no other reason than I don't think anyone associated with the Pens currently wants much to do with Tristan Jarry in the event of more injuries in goal (or at such time that Flower is traded).

MAF is making it tough for Murray to earn much net time when he returns. Other than the first Capital goal on Thursday, he has been a wall. But then again, the regular season hasn't been his issue since 2010......

Really impressed so far with Dumoulin and Sheary. Sheary is skating so much better and his nose for the net is outstanding.

MAF is making it tough for Murray to earn much net time when he returns. Other than the first Capital goal on Thursday, he has been a wall. But then again, the regular season hasn't been his issue since 2010......

Really impressed so far with Dumoulin and Sheary. Sheary is skating so much better and his nose for the net is outstanding.

Good point about Flower; going back to the preseason, he seemed to be having trouble protecting the 5 hole. But aside that.....and that still seems to be an issue early into the new season......it's hard to argue with his results. Pens are also allowing more SOG than I might have expected coming in; of course, they've played two pretty good opponents (with two pretty good offenses) in their first two games and have 4 points (and only 4 GA) to show for it.

Regarding Dumoulin, this is his contract year; and he's already got Olli Maatta's new $4.1 million AAV deal sitting out there as a target. Not sure his traditional game compares to OM.....who skates pretty well and can play the point on the second PP unit.....and supports that kind of deal, but who knows; especially if he remains one of their top pairing guys. Plus, something tells me he's going to score more this season than last.

But he's restricted (as was Maatta) which limits his options. But the geometry of his eventual new deal.....which presumably will be GMJR's priority over those needed for either Daley or Schultz......will be an interesting one to watch. Meanwhile, I just glanced at the standings on nhl.com and notice the entire League plays either tonight of tomorrow night except for Columbus, who doesn't play again until Friday 10/21

And speaking of the CBJ, that Friday game (home versus the Black Hawks) follows with a road game in Dallas next week.....and then 3-games-in-4 nights swing to the West Coast with LA, San Jose, and Anaheim :scream:

But he's restricted (as was Maatta) which limits his options. But the geometry of his eventual new deal.....which presumably will be GMJR's priority over those needed for either Daley or Schultz......will be an interesting one to watch

I just glanced at General Fanager, and was surprised to see that Schultz is still listed as an RFA after this season. I guess I was assuming.....after nobody qualified him last summer......that his FA status would have converted to unrestricted.

Here at the dinner hour on Monday, I heard that Carey Price has already been ruled out for tomorrow night's game with the Pens. Considering how long he was out last season.....and that tomorrow is the Canadiens home opener......he must be (or must have been) way sicker than anyone has thus far reported.

Also, DK was reporting that Flower is starting tonight versus Colorado.....which I assume means Condon will start in Montreal.

Here at the dinner hour on Monday, I heard that Carey Price has already been ruled out for tomorrow night's game with the Pens. Considering how long he was out last season.....and that tomorrow is the Canadiens home opener......he must be (or must have been) way sicker than anyone has thus far reported.

Also, DK was reporting that Flower is starting tonight versus Colorado.....which I assume means Condon will start in Montreal.
Wow...that is big! And Um...that Cullen goal even bigger lol!

I just wanted to actually comment on that reference to PPG as a 'Power Play Goal' lol...never thought of it till...well...I bet the sponsor likes that handle!

I know it is Oct 18 but the play in the Avs game last night was Gawd Awful. I just can't understand how quickly this team can revert to undisciplined play. And the two assistant captains led the way in that regard with their careless stick work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT