ADVERTISEMENT

Round one...Pens vs Cryers

The Caps are the more skilled team so give me the BJ’s.[/QUOTE}

Upon thinking further...home ice didnt mean squat last series, but I'll always take it...gimmie the the Blojax....

I'm wondering now if I'm pulling for the Craps solely because I can't stand the thought of dealing another 1-2 weeks with Torts the Bipolar King.....OTOH, nobody should really under-estimate the benefits of home ice; especially if the Pens can use it to knock Bob back off kilter.

Forgot to mention this but DK reported.....though perhaps it's also being/been reported elsewhere.....that, after the turd Murray gave up to MacDonald to make it 4-2 Flyers, DeSmith reportedly left the bench and went down the runway to stretch/prepare to enter the game

Evidently, that got waylaid for whatever reason.....possibly the Hornqvist goal which got them back within one.....and DK is saying Sully largely evaded the question in the postgame. But yesterday does (temporarily, at least) bring to an end all the talk of how huge Murray always plays after a loss.

Forgot to mention this but DK reported.....though perhaps it's also being/been reported elsewhere.....that, after the turd Murray gave up to MacDonald to make it 4-2 Flyers, DeSmith reportedly left the bench and went down the runway to stretch/prepare to enter the game

Evidently, that got waylaid for whatever reason.....possibly the Hornqvist goal which got them back within one.....and DK is saying Sully largely evaded the question in the postgame. But yesterday does (temporarily, at least) bring to an end all the talk of how huge Murray always plays after a loss.

I watched Sullys post game presser on the app and he said he was contemplating making the switch to Casey but his gut was telling him to stick with Matt and he was glad he did.

I watched Sullys post game presser on the app and he said he was contemplating making the switch to Casey but his gut was telling him to stick with Matt and he was glad he did.

I do have to wonder if the Pens can ride MM to another cup. He wasn't good in game 5 and honestly is wasn't good through the first 40 minutes yesterday. He was better in the 3rd period but still gave up a goal on 7 shots. 5 goals on 26 shots isn't very good no matter what league you play in.

I'd be curious as to how many SOG the Cryers got the rest of the way after the MacDonald goal......regardless, it's obviously always a good thing when you can find a way to win when your own goaltender is off his own game.

Care to re-evaluate Colo? Pens got it done and B's choked one up huge last night...Peg is just a damned DIRTY hockey team imo...ya they've got skill but they will be gone by West final playing the way they do. Teams just as skilled if not more so will take advantage of their hijinx and throttle them while they sit in the box.... Just my opinion...congrats on The Preds win.
Good wins by Pens and Preds that was more like it but both teams need to clean some issues up if they want to eye the prize. Preds need to bring and A+ effort every night if they want to beat the Jets. It took them awhile to get going in the colorado series. Pens need to plug up the holes on the blue line to have a chance at a 3rd cup. B's might have choked away a chance to close out the Leafs but I think they will end it tonight in toronto. In fairness to the Bruins the leafs are quite a bit better than the Flyers and Avalanche.

Reactions: torontoeers
Upon thinking further...home ice didnt mean squat last series, but I'll always take it...gimmie the the Blojax....
I think the pens would beat both the caps or CBJ but i would rather play the Caps. Bluejackets have more overall team speed and Caps are proven Bona fide playoff chokers. I think Jackets can cause the Pens more match up problems.

Yep...came up on my feed showing him warming...and in hindsight I dont mind the decision made , which he sat right back down after that 4-3 marker. In saying that I fully expected and thought it warranted to give DeSmith a shot.
One thing that drives me bananas and I know I keep harping on it BUT....The inability for a coach to take his time out early/midway through a contest because of this challenge setup. It is a completely bygone area now where a coach will pull the entire team to the bench for a serious tongue lashing , which often worked imo...In saying that (again lol) the Cryers took one late as I recall? Which seemed to make little difference thankfully, and really the 4th goal was not team responsibilty but the goaltenders...would just love to see that aspect brought back into play. Pipe dream at this point...

Good wins by Pens and Preds that was more like it but both teams need to clean some issues up if they want to eye the prize. Preds need to bring and A+ effort every night if they want to beat the Jets. It took them awhile to get going in the colorado series. Pens need to plug up the holes on the blue line to have a chance at a 3rd cup. B's might have choked away a chance to close out the Leafs but I think they will end it tonight in toronto. In fairness to the Bruins the leafs are quite a bit better than the Flyers and Avalanche.
Please do NOT give the asshat Leaves credit for ANYTHING :wink:....something pathetic for ya from the local base? I put up two congrats Pens posts on my social media feeds which were promptly infiltrated with aquaintence Leaves bitch/whine, Pens suck stuff...is that laughable or what? You come to MY KITCHEN and attempt to spread your Blue and White disease? While attempting pot shots at the Black and Gold?!? GTFO LOSERS!!! What a laugh riot...[roll]

Yep...came up on my feed showing him warming...and in hindsight I dont mind the decision made , which he sat right back down after that 4-3 marker. In saying that I fully expected and thought it warranted to give DeSmith a shot.
One thing that drives me bananas and I know I keep harping on it BUT....The inability for a coach to take his time out early/midway through a contest because of this challenge setup. It is a completely bygone area now where a coach will pull the entire team to the bench for a serious tongue lashing , which often worked imo...In saying that (again lol) the Cryers took one late as I recall? Which seemed to make little difference thankfully, and really the 4th goal was not team responsibilty but the goaltenders...would just love to see that aspect brought back into play. Pipe dream at this point...

From what I can tell from a distance, one coach who has no trouble calling the early timeout is Peter Laviolette......who, while I don't like him a whole lot more than Torts, is admittedly a pretty good coach (who keeps getting hired).

Meanwhile, Hakstol actually admitted in the postgame he made a mistake not taking his timeout in Game 3 after Geno made it 3-1 Pens (and immediately before Dumoulin's back-breaker.5 seconds later).

From what I can tell from a distance, one coach who has no trouble calling the early timeout is Peter Laviolette......who, while I don't like him a whole lot more than Torts, is admittedly a pretty good coach (who keeps getting hired).

Meanwhile, Hakstol actually admitted in the postgame he made a mistake not taking his timeout in Game 3 after Geno made it 3-1 Pens (and immediately before Dumoulin's back-breaker.5 seconds later).
Indeed good one there with Laviolette...definitely no issue in taking the early TO...

Flames hire Bill Peters as their new head coach who was just fired by Carolina after posting a .500 record there over 4 years???
Um....ok. The lot of them will be fired end next year...starting at the top with Jerkie Burkie. Does this make ANY sense to you guys, other than noone else was available or wanted it? Cause frankly it makes NONE to me, especially at this stage, with round 1 still on the go...
Nothing like swingin for the fences Flames...

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer

This isn't intended as any slam of the Aves, who surprised most of the hockey world (and yours truly) by extending their series. But let's be honest; you have to figure the Preds will take this upcoming matchup against the Jets significantly more seriously.

Meanwhile, the thing I probably most appreciated from the just completed series is the extent to which MacKinnon was almost universally acknowledged as the best player in the series.....which I wouldn't have expected frorm a media so possessed with their current all-Nashville-all-the-time love affair. If he wasn't there before, NMcK certainly jumped in most viewers eyes to now be solidly part of the League's true elite.

Last edited:
Flames hire Bill Peters as their new head coach who was just fired by Carolina after posting a .500 record there over 4 years???
Um....ok. The lot of them will be fired end next year...starting at the top with Jerkie Burkie. Does this make ANY sense to you guys, other than noone else was available or wanted it? Cause frankly it makes NONE to me, especially at this stage, with round 1 still on the go...

I was listening to the Flames PC on NHLN Radio, and Treliving was actng like he's hit the jackpot. Maybe so; but some of the NHLN guys last week (Boomer Gordon, in particular) were scratching their heads over the regard Peters was getting considering he's never even scared the NHL playoffs as a HC.

I understand he's a Calgary (or Alberta) guy; and we all know the "he's coming home" stories make for the best local Press. And, Peters does strike me as having the ability to be a taskmaster; and maybe that's what the Flames need. Lord knows, that wasn't going to work for any team who invited Jaromir Jagr to camp last season.

But he's got a lot of points to make up; and he damned well better figure out how to make sure Mike Smith doesn't get hurt again. Meanwhile, Minnesota just sacrificed GM Chuck Fletcher. While Billy Guerin is evidently thought to be an candidate......and likely will be viewed as one for almost every new opening.....I'm reading the early favorite is Poile-lieutenant Paul Fenton from Nashville.

As for Guerin, I assume he's already been quietly tagged as GMJR's replacement.....and for that reason, isn't going anywhere.

This isn't intended as any slam of the Aves, who surprised most of the hockey world (and yours truly) by extending their series. But let's be honest; you have to figure the Preds will take this upcoming matchup against the Jets significantly more seriously.

Meanwhile, the thing I probably most appreciated from the just completed series is the extent to which MacKinnon was almost universally acknowledged as the best player in the series.....which I wouldn't have expected frorm a media so possessed with their current all-Nashville-all-the-time love affair. If he wasn't there before, NC certainly jumped in most viewers eyes to now be solidly part of the League's true elite.
Most people acknowledged that Mackinnon was the best player in the series even before it started. The Mackinnon, Landeskog and Rantinin line was one of the best Lines in the NHL this year. These guys had more points than anyone on the Predators by far this season. The strength of the predators is their depth. I root for the Preds I was and original season ticket holder from 1998-2003. I was a partial season ticket holder for the avs this season. The series going to six might have surprised some but the predators had problems playing 60 minutes the last month of the season They had problems doing it for the 1st three games of this series. The current media love affair with Nashville has to do with the fact that they played in the cup last season and They won the presidents trophy. The media assumes that their poised to win it this season. If that's the case the will have to play the way they did in game 6. The big question is did the avs expose the preds or did the Preds not take them serious enough. We will find out the answer soon.

Enjoying Leafs leading Bruins in 3rd (sorry "T"). However, I almost puked hearing Leafs fans singing "Sweet Caroline." Uh oh, Toronto just got a 2 minute minor. Kill this bitch off, finish off the game, and take it back to Beantown for game 7!

Last edited:
Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
Enjoying Leafs leading Bruins in 3rd (sorry "T"). However, I almost puked hearing Leafs fans singing "Sweet Caroline." Uh oh, Toronto just got a 2 minute minor. Kill this bitch off, finish off the game, and take it back to Beantown for game 7!
I love game 7's I am glad we got 1 out of the 1st round.

Reactions: Euell
I saw the press conference they stated they liked him because he was knowledgeable about the modern NHL game. I would be skeptical but i guess they figured he would get more support from the front office in calgary then he would in a struggling franchise in Carolina.

Last edited:
Ugh....now I have to listen to them another 2 days...madness I say...MADNESS!!!!

I will HAPPILY watch us face the B's later if it comes to that...for a Leaves game 7 loss...yep!
Toronto I always associated him as a Flyer I forgot about his stops in LA and Pittsburgh
dave_schultz_2.jpg

Toronto I always associated him as a Flyer I forgot about his stops in LA and Pittsburgh
dave_schultz_2.jpg

I am the proud owner of a Dave Schultz throwback jersey in Navy and White with the Penguin crest attached!! I have a decent jersey collection that I rotate at games and get more responses from that one than any other I own. My favorite is the 1975 Pronovost jersey I have and nobody...I mean nobody ever comments on that one. He was actually a good player!

I am the proud owner of a Dave Schultz throwback jersey in Navy and White with the Penguin crest attached!! I have a decent jersey collection that I rotate at games and get more responses from that one than any other I own. My favorite is the 1975 Pronovost jersey I have and nobody...I mean nobody ever comments on that one. He was actually a good player!
Thats pretty cool...especially the Pronovost one! What others do you have if you dont mind my asking? My oldest is a white 66 from around 89 or so I think? Nowhere near those type classics.

Thats pretty cool...especially the Pronovost one! What others do you have if you dont mind my asking? My oldest is a white 66 from around 89 or so I think? Nowhere near those type classics.

My first was a Doug Bodger jersey from 87-ish. I can't get that one over my fat body. I have an old Andy Bathgate jersey. I have this blue shiny thing that I hate. I want to say that is a Bathgate too. I have a Lemieux Wales conference all-star jersey. That is too small now too!! I have a Crosby away in the last uniform iteration. A Malkin 1st winter classic jersey and a Malkin home jersey from the last iteration.

So Geno and Hags not practicing today but day-to-day. I would guess Hagelin was concussed based on how his head bounced off the ice. He might be questionable if game 1 is Thurs but I would think he would be ready of game 1 is Saturday.

Speaking of the timing of game 1......would the NHL really consider a game on Thursday considering this is Tuesday?

My first was a Doug Bodger jersey from 87-ish. I can't get that one over my fat body. I have an old Andy Bathgate jersey. I have this blue shiny thing that I hate. I want to say that is a Bathgate too. I have a Lemieux Wales conference all-star jersey. That is too small now too!! I have a Crosby away in the last uniform iteration. A Malkin 1st winter classic jersey and a Malkin home jersey from the last iteration.
Wow...sweet collection! Bodger, and Bathgate too!!! I have that 89 (I think, I know I had it for the first 2 Cup runs) purchased 66 in white, A vegas gold 66 in black, a post 92 cup win 66 with the re-styled logo in white (which was actually given to me by our pal here @Euell at a tailgate last year :smiley:), a Sid Team Canada in red from Vancouver Olympics, an autographed #71 in current black from one of the backpack auctions they did on RootSports a current #30 black with a homage to my and Murrays Newf dogs on the back (ya I'm a bit of a nut), which I actually like quite a bit as it has that new more flexible style logo and numbers, washes up much better. And finally yes I have a Blue and White Salming #21 (which actually does fit somewhat as it was bought in an adult size) , from my way early days before I wisened up on draft day in '84 lol. I would never get rid of it however as it was a gift from parents and I have too much respect for the name on the back. The dude was a pioneer for Euro's in the league and took a ton of abuse, all while being a pretty damned solid D man...
I need one more like a hole in the head, but yes...I do lol.
Eventually need a Sid one in the current rendition! Wife will kill me but oh well...

So Geno and Hags not practicing today but day-to-day. I would guess Hagelin was concussed based on how his head bounced off the ice. He might be questionable if game 1 is Thurs but I would think he would be ready of game 1 is Saturday.

Speaking of the timing of game 1......would the NHL really consider a game on Thursday considering this is Tuesday?
Good question...my gut says Friday but they dont want to have a night without hockey at this juncture I assume? Will be interesting to see when they announce all or partial...

Wow...sweet collection! Bodger, and Bathgate too!!! I have that 89 (I think, I know I had it for the first 2 Cup runs) purchased 66 in white, A vegas gold 66 in black, a post 92 cup win 66 with the re-styled logo in white (which was actually given to me by our pal here @Euell at a tailgate last year :smiley:), a Sid Team Canada in red from Vancouver Olympics, an autographed #71 in current black from one of the backpack auctions they did on RootSports a current #30 black with a homage to my and Murrays Newf dogs on the back (ya I'm a bit of a nut), which I actually like quite a bit as it has that new more flexible style logo and numbers, washes up much better. And finally yes I have a Blue and White Salming #21 (which actually does fit somewhat as it was bought in an adult size) , from my way early days before I wisened up on draft day in '84 lol. I would never get rid of it however as it was a gift from parents and I have too much respect for the name on the back. The dude was a pioneer for Euro's in the league and took a ton of abuse, all while being a pretty damned solid D man...
I need one more like a hole in the head, but yes...I do lol.
Eventually need a Sid one in the current rendition! Wife will kill me but oh well...

I loved Salming, Rod Langway, and a bunch of other defensemen of that era. I was a huge Randy Carlyle fan when he was with the Pens. In my floor hockey league, I always played defense and gravitated that way for my favorite players. That is why my first jersey was a defenseman. Back in the 78-85 years I attended all the games I could. Man I loved George Ferguson and Rick Kehoe too. In 86 I moved to the DC area and started attending lots of Caps game because the tickets were easy to scalp for not much money. The craziest game I ever attended was a Pens Caps game where the Pens had to win to keep their playoff hopes alive. Pierre Creamer was the coach. It was a tie game and the Pens had to score. Creamer was unaware and didn't pull the keeper.....Never mind, Mario carried 1 or 2 Caps to the goal and scored. I will never forget that one. They missed the playoff and Creamer got canned for being stupid.

I loved Salming, Rod Langway, and a bunch of other defensemen of that era. I was a huge Randy Carlyle fan when he was with the Pens. In my floor hockey league, I always played defense and gravitated that way for my favorite players. That is why my first jersey was a defenseman. Back in the 78-85 years I attended all the games I could. Man I loved George Ferguson and Rick Kehoe too. In 86 I moved to the DC area and started attending lots of Caps game because the tickets were easy to scalp for not much money. The craziest game I ever attended was a Pens Caps game where the Pens had to win to keep their playoff hopes alive. Pierre Creamer was the coach. It was a tie game and the Pens had to score. Creamer was unaware and didn't pull the keeper.....Never mind, Mario carried 1 or 2 Caps to the goal and scored. I will never forget that one. They missed the playoff and Creamer got canned for being stupid.
Indeed that was him wasn't it! One or two guys draped all over him and it was...'ok guys, guess you're comin along for the ride!' Power, skill, fluid skating...ah man, those were the days...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT