ADVERTISEMENT

Pens/ rest of the League -- Summer 2021

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
Well, figure I might just as well start the summer thread.......I've had enough regurgitation of the last series (even though I can't forget it).
  • Was good to hear Jake and (to a somewhat lesser extent) Sid take a measure of ownership for the 1st round loss, though Jarry sure didn't seem very upset. I myself think he's been a little too reassured of his ongoing status by his bosses.

• Meanwhile, Geno seems to be getting the hero treatment from Pens' media for playing the Islanders series on one leg......which I guess is reasonable if his injury is really as severe as it's being represented.

• I'm not as much for a full scale teardown as Irwin; but I also didn't like Hexy's (and Burkie's for that matter) more-or-less blanket no-big-changes statements either.

• But, I'm quite surprised how differently they're playing this than Rutherford. It's beginning, in some regard, to sound as though Rutherford may actually have been more open previously to a teardown than we thought (and perhaps that's why he and Mario finally had their falling out).

• I know I'm glad the Leafs got ejected, though I'm not as glad that the Habs are rolling over the Jets......I still can't stand either team playing for the Eastern title......and I wish one of these teams from the West would at least show decent on the road (like they're showing in the East and South) rather than getting rolled over.

• I thought Scheifele freight-trained that Canadiens' kid with some seriousness, but didn't think the hit was any dirtier than that any that any other guy his size in the League would have dished out

• I've had my fill of the shills telling me how great/loud all these home crowds have been in the 2nd round.

And one more tidbit; Pensburgh (at least I think that's where this originated) suggested a couple days ago that the Pens should offer up Jake and Marino to Columbus for Seth Jones. Something tells me that Jones won't be moving solo from Columbus in a deal, and I doubt the Pens have sufficient assets (to add to a Jake and Marino) to sweeten a proposed deal enough to make it happen. Something also tells me, after so many years listening to Torts, that Jones might not be in favor of a trade to Pittsburgh.

But I think I probably would support a deal around those general parameters

Well, figure I might just as well start the summer thread.......I've had enough regurgitation of the last series (even though I can't forget it).
  • Was good to hear Jake and (to a somewhat lesser extent) Sid take a measure of ownership for the 1st round loss, though Jarry sure didn't seem very upset. I myself think he's been a little too reassured of his ongoing status by his bosses.

• Meanwhile, Geno seems to be getting the hero treatment from Pens' media for playing the Islanders series on one leg......which I guess is reasonable if his injury is really as severe as it's being represented.

• I'm not as much for a full scale teardown as Irwin; but I also didn't like Hexy's (and Burkie's for that matter) more-or-less blanket no-big-changes statements either.

• But, I'm quite surprised how differently they're playing this than Rutherford. It's beginning, in some regard, to sound as though Rutherford may actually have been more open previously to a teardown than we thought (and perhaps that's why he and Mario finally had their falling out).

• I know I'm glad the Leafs got ejected, though I'm not as glad that the Habs are rolling over the Jets......I still can't stand either team playing for the Eastern title......and I wish one of these teams from the West would at least show decent on the road (like they're showing in the East and South) rather than getting rolled over.

• I thought Scheifele freight-trained that Canadiens' kid with some seriousness, but didn't think the hit was any dirtier than that any that any other guy his size in the League would have dished out

• I've had my fill of the shills telling me how great/loud all these home crowds have been in the 2nd round.

And one more tidbit; Pensburgh (at least I think that's where this originated) suggested a couple days ago that the Pens should offer up Jake and Marino to Columbus for Seth Jones. Something tells me that Jones won't be moving solo from Columbus in a deal, and I doubt the Pens have sufficient assets (to add to a Jake and Marino) to sweeten a proposed deal enough to make it happen. Something also tells me, after so many years listening to Torts, that Jones might not be in favor of a trade to Pittsburgh.

But I think I probably would support a deal around those general parameters
They reseed after every round. Montreal gets winner from Vegas/Avs. Islanders/Bruins will face Tampa/Carolina

Finally, I wonder if they actually might leave Jarry unprotected in favor of DeSmith......I'd consider that a pretty big shock; but coming off the playoffs, who knows how much his personal reputation has been damaged.

Not according to Kingerski; he's reporting this morning that an internal Team source says Jarry will be protected, and DeSmith will be left unprotected. Also, the source claims the Team is looking at veteran goalies, and they're currently focused on Freddy Andersen.

Finally, he's saying Geno reportedly has no interest in Seattle.....which I guess means nobody has to worry about the team trying to swing something with the Kraken in order to have them select Malkin in the Draft.

I don't know about you guys, but I thought the B's (who really weren't given that much of a chance to win in the media) would play the Isles tough last night.......shows you what I know. I know they were down two defensemen, but still.

OTOH, I was pleased to finally quit hearing about the great Taylor Hall trade to Boston......

BIggest story in the League this summer is/will be Jack Eichel (with Seth Jones relatively close behind). Simple question then......if you were a League GM (I don't necessarily mean for the Guins).......and assuming you had the assets in hand to make such a deal.....how interested would you be, if you really needed a kid of his specific profile, in Eichel ??

Just me talking, but I myself have never been the biggest Eichel fan (and always thought the Sabres were collecively insane to have signed him to his current deal)......though maybe I'd think more highly of him if he were playing for someone other than the Sabres (and wasn't stuck with the spotlight on him every single time he steps on the ice).

No clue if you're rooting for Tampa or the Isles (if either) in their series.......

But either way, the series reminds me once again there's nothing in hockey more painful than being forced to deal with Dave Myshkin (TBL) or, worse, squeak-master Chris King (NYI) scream at the top of their respective lungs when a goal......or worse, an OT game-winner, as was the case last night......is scored by their respective team.

These two......though I myself will grudgingly admit Myshkin (especially when Phil Esposito isn't talking) is otherwise a pretty good P-b-P guy......are enough on their own to turn you against the friggin game (at least on radio). Of course, unless you listen to team P-b-P on XM (or audio replays on NHLN Radio), you're fortunate not to be subject to either of these characters (King, especially).

I learned this morning that King been doing Isles' radio......on their "flagship" network station out of friggin' Hofstra University, for crying out loud.....since 1994; I myself find hard to believe his act ever gotten out of the ECHL.

• Just read that ESPN has gone public with their P-b-P broadcasting lineup.......Sean McDonough, Leah Hextall (yes, Ron's cousin), John Buccigross, and Bob Wischusen.

• The studio team will be Steve Levy (who will also do some P-b-P), Mark Messier, and Barry Melrose.

• On-air analysts include Hilary Knight, Cassie C Pascal, AJ Mleczko (shit), Ryan Callahan, Chris Chelios, Rick DePietro, and Kevin Weekes.

• Off-ice reporters will include Blake Bolden, Emily Kaplan, and old Puck Daddy Greg Wyshynski, while Linda Cohn will evidently host a nightly highlight show.

Obviously, no word on Gary Thorne (who I myself am wondering if he's viewed, at 73 years old, to be too old).

From the FWIW file, Vegas Hockey Now.....VGK's equivalent to Kingerski's Pens site.......calls it 40% that the Knights move Flower, and most likely to the Penguins. That's not exactly a prediction, but more their adding of 2 and 2 with hopes it equals 4.

The reports persist, however, that VGK owner Bill Foley's (not to mention Knights' fans) love for Flower remains a hindrance, along with what's left of his $7 million/season deal.

If you didn't see this, here is ESPN's guess as to the Pens protection list for the expansion Draft:

F: Sidney Crosby (NMC)
F: Evgeni Malkin (NMC)
F: Jake Guentzel
F: Kasperi Kapanen
F: Jeff Carter
F: Bryan Rust
F: Teddy Blueger
D: Kris Letang (NMC)
D: Brian Dumoulin
D: Mark Friedman
G: Casey DeSmith

Originally, I was thinking they had to protect Carter (because he's so critical to them in light of Malkin's injury).

But the more I think about it, the more I doubt that Seattle will waste a pick on a guy who may only play 1 year max (with no guarantee that will even happen). I assume Teddy's new deal pretty much guarantees he'll make the list......personally, I'm not terribly conflicted about leaving McCann unprotected. I assume the team is hoping/praying either Matheson or Zucker are selected, though I doubt too many folks really expect that to happen.

I myself would rather lose McCann than Tanev ......not sure about protecting Friedman; this must assume they like him way more than I realize. It would also seem to assume that Ceci will be leaving as a FA.

You may vaguely recall the Pens signing D Yannick Weber last season as a FA; apparently, he dressed for 2 games (which I myself was not aware) after which he was said to have spent the rest of the season on the taxi squad. Well, I read this morning that Weber has retired after 13 seasons in the League.

Just read Seattle has selected Tanev from the Pens (and McCann from the Leaves) in the expansion Draft. That would leave the Pens with $7.4 million in cap space; probably enough to re-sign Cody Ceci......maybe a couple of their other RFAs/UFAs.......and possibly another FA or two.

Just read Seattle has selected Tanev from the Pens (and McCann from the Leaves) in the expansion Draft. That would leave the Pens with $7.4 million in cap space; probably enough to re-sign Cody Ceci......maybe a couple of their other RFAs/UFAs.......and possibly another FA or two.
How much will it cost for a veteran goalie?

How much will it cost for a veteran goalie?
Fair question......depending on the player, I'd guess somewhere loosely in a range from $3-5 million.

The next question then is whether the individual they bring in will mean the end of Jarry. If it's someone on the higher end of that range, I assume the answer will pretty much have to be YES.

FWIW, I'm personally not sold on the notion that GMRH is definitely going to bring in someone else.

Last edited:
I'm now almost 2 months post-surgery (with the accompanying short term disability) and I guess I should be getting excited for the new season.

Except, I'm not sure I'd be all that charged even if Sid and Geno were tearing up Cranberry.......without them, and all the blahs coming from the keyboards of Pens media, I probably haven't been this disconnected with hockey/the NHL (not just the Guins) since the pre-Mario days. Hell, I haven't even listened to NHLN Radio on XM the past few weeks, as I've switched to the pre- and post- Ryder Cup coverage on PGA Tour Radio.

Anyone enthused about anything associated with the Pens these days ???

244257762_10160992638573765_1918946372752847091_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT