ADVERTISEMENT

Round #1 -- Pens at Isles

I'm trying to stay awake.

First spring in years I haven't been behind schedule wise with baseball games due to weather.

interesting to see what happens in the third, I predict one of two scenarios...

1. they play it safe and responsible and tie it up with the goalie pulled and go into ot.

2. they gamble all over the place and give up odd man rush after odd man rush. lose badly. then they throw a temper tantrum and try to fight over dumb sh*t.

I'm trying to stay awake.

First spring in years I haven't been behind schedule wise with baseball games due to weather.

interesting to see what happens in the third, I predict one of two scenarios...

1. they play it safe and responsible and tie it up with the goalie pulled and go into ot.

2. they gamble all over the place and give up odd man rush after odd man rush. lose badly. then they throw a temper tantrum and try to fight over dumb sh*t.
Both plausible...stay with us. If we go down, you are watching with us...we all deserve this fate for continuing to watch lol. Shoulda left long ago...

Reactions: Irwineer2
Both plausible...stay with us. If we go down, you are watching with us...we all deserve this fate for continuing to watch lol. Shoulda left long ago...

I'm trying. took a line drive in the right cheek today off a dugout. took some liquid pain killer lol

Reactions: torontoeers
Pens scored 1st in 3 games and led for 4 minutes. Thanks Murray for making a big save when it mattered. He didn’t play poorly but his lack of a key save was huge the last 2. And his puke of a goal in game 3 was weak as any

Pens scored 1st in 3 games and led for 4 minutes. Thanks Murray for making a big save when it mattered. He didn’t play poorly but his lack of a key save was huge the last 2. And his puke of a goal in game 3 was weak as any

And the NYI’s 2nd goal was a disaster. I watched it again. The pass should have been stopped by Murray as it went through the middle of the blue paint. However, his ass was so deep in the goal that he could not make a play. Just hideous.

Well...I've been all over the chat boards and all the 'experts 'have me with @Irwineer2 ...tear it down and give THEM a real feel of what actual hockey is...the struggle.... We have unequivocally the WORST fan base of all time...bunch of front running no nothing pukes, not that I didn't know that before. It is no point in even engaging...pathetic.

Reactions: Irwineer2
I will come back to these points...we as Pens fans have had two if not three of the most generational players in the history of the game. Right now still with two of em, not to mention a decent goalie, and one before him, a great young star in Jake, great supporting casts over the years, if that...all of that, all of those Cups doesn't light your lamp and you are bitching about how this guy or that one didn't perform this year, because at one point after 16 games then another 16 games then another 16 games? You are a front runner...and I can't but help you...not a lick. We all bitch...but just think back recent....I know 20 someodd fanbases that would KILL for what we OWN. END of this year and end of that rant... #spoiled.

I will come back to these points...we as Pens fans have had two if not three of the most generational players in the history of the game. Right now still with two of em, not to mention a decent goalie, and one before him, a great young star in Jake, great supporting casts over the years, if that...all of that, all of those Cups doesn't light your lamp and you are bitching about how this guy or that one didn't perform this year, because at one point after 16 games then another 16 games then another 16 games? You are a front runner...and I can't but help you...not a lick. We all bitch...but just think back recent....I know 20 someodd fanbases that would KILL for what we OWN. END of this year and end of that rant... #spoiled.
If I was a Pens fan I would pin this on Rutherford. Going Back to the caps series last year it was pretty clear that The Pens 6 man D core was below average. Not much has been done to adress this. They seem more concerned about trying to figure out whos' going to be their 3rd line center. These are secondary needs they need 2-3 enforcer type defensemen. They need the type of guys who stand up on the blue line and smack fowards when they try and enter the zone. If you listen to the talking heads they tell you the Letang, Josi and burns are the gold standard of D men. These guys are great puck handlers they provide offense but how well do they really defend? Burns looked like a fool at the end of the 1st period when he got beat by Theodore at the end of the 1st. Letang was backing up to much in the series against the islanders. When the pens won the cup in 2016 teams were not not used to seeing these types of D man but the league has adapted its good to have this guys but you also need the positionally sound guys and the guys who bang and push people around and the pens clearly dont have these types of D man at the moment.

I'll preface by saying I'm NO fan of 8, and he probably should have skated away laughing, AND it was tough to watch somebody get badly hurt...but the kid seemed pretty intent on having a go with him. Not sure if he was aiming to make a name for himself as the one who took down 8 or not...in saying that, what I really have to laugh about is Brind'amours comments about maybe it's time to get the fighting out of the game...really Rod? We all KNOW if the whipper snapper hadda been the one to land the big punch, you and everyone else woulda hailed him as hero for the 'Bunch Of Jerks'...
The kid made a decision to go who knows what was said but he didn't try and skate away from it.

If I was a Pens fan I would pin this on Rutherford. Going Back to the caps series last year it was pretty clear that The Pens 6 man D core was below average. Not much has been done to adress this. They seem more concerned about trying to figure out whos' going to be their 3rd line center. These are secondary needs they need 2-3 enforcer type defensemen. They need the type of guys who stand up on the blue line and smack fowards when they try and enter the zone. If you listen to the talking heads they tell you the Letang, Josi and burns are the gold standard of D men. These guys are great puck handlers they provide offense but how well do they really defend? Burns looked like a fool at the end of the 1st period when he got beat by Theodore at the end of the 1st. Letang was backing up to much in the series against the islanders. When the pens won the cup in 2016 teams were not not used to seeing these types of D man but the league has adapted its good to have this guys but you also need the positionally sound guys and the guys who bang and push people around and the pens clearly dont have these types of D man at the moment.

agree completely with your assessment of the d corps. however, its the baby forwards that want it that way. this franchise has been obsessed with "puck moving defensemen" for 40 years. forget about defending, forget about separating man from puck, forget about protecting the front of your own net, the most important quality of a penguin dman for the last 40 years has been his ability to pass to 87 or 71.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
Well...I've been all over the chat boards and all the 'experts 'have me with @Irwineer2 ...tear it down and give THEM a real feel of what actual hockey is...the struggle.... We have unequivocally the WORST fan base of all time...bunch of front running no nothing pukes, not that I didn't know that before. It is no point in even engaging...pathetic.

agree completely. my social media is full of angry posts from guys who didn't like hockey in the 90s.

and yes burn it down. I have been waiting for this since the series vs philly in 12 and boston in 13.

JR has done a poor job building to what once was our strength and that being speed. He’s brought in slugs for defensemen and let key contributors go. I’m not sure I trust him with perhaps our biggest off season in many years. Might be time Mario puts the old man out to pasture and brings in a fresh set of eyes. I’m just sick about how it ended but am glad it’s over. I couldn’t take another game watching them turn the puck over and flail the puck around aimlessly. Goodbye Pens, hello summer! And can you imagine being a Lightning fan? Holy crap Batman!

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
JR has done a poor job building to what once was our strength and that being speed. He’s brought in slugs for defensemen and let key contributors go. I’m not sure I trust him with perhaps our biggest off season in many years. Might be time Mario puts the old man out to pasture and brings in a fresh set of eyes. I’m just sick about how it ended but am glad it’s over. I couldn’t take another game watching them turn the puck over and flail the puck around aimlessly. Goodbye Pens, hello summer! And can you imagine being a Lightning fan? Holy crap Batman!

blaming this on anyone but 87, 71, 81 and 58 is absurd.

The other thing you have to wonder is are these guys tuning Sully out now? The lifespan of an NHL coach is usually shorter than the other major sports. I’d hate to think this is the case as I love Sully’s style as a coach and think he’s done an outstanding job. I can’t imagine Sully wanting him gone.

The other thing you have to wonder is are these guys tuning Sully out now? The lifespan of an NHL coach is usually shorter than the other major sports. I’d hate to think this is the case as I love Sully’s style as a coach and think he’s done an outstanding job. I can’t imagine Sully wanting him gone.

that's why they have to keep hiring a no name coach every time.

also to be fair to sully, I don't blame him or other coaches one bit. they knew what they needed to do to win, its not hard to figure out.

The star players ignored him.

I'm not so angry anymore lol...what a day and less booze can bring...my diatribe was not directed at anyone here...it's really just the $hit I see on the other boards...we've done 'ok' the last decade compared to others. In saying that we need a shakeup. It's warranted....maybe as @WVRON mentions...in the front office too. Not sure there...

Although he committed a fatal error last game I will take 6 Schultzie's on my back end...he is a damned good D man...my issue is not with Maatta (yes he is weak often) or the riverboat gambler Tanger (turnover machine), it's Pettersson...he has no f'n business getting the minutes he does...I would rather have seen Trotman out there. JJ was honestly imo adequate for what he brings to the table. Perhaps one too many penalties outta him trying to compensate.
In saying that...6 goals in 4 games is absofreakinlutely abysmal. I don't care who is defending you. This was an offense bent on pretty plays afraid to skate it in to the zone...get dirty.

Although he committed a fatal error last game I will take 6 Schultzie's on my back end...he is a damned good D man...my issue is not with Maatta (yes he is weak often) or the riverboat gambler Tanger (turnover machine), it's Pettersson...he has no f'n business getting the minutes he does...I would rather have seen Trotman out there. JJ was honestly imo adequate for what he brings to the table. Perhaps one too many penalties outta him trying to compensate.
In saying that...6 goals in 4 games is absofreakinlutely abysmal. I don't care who is defending you. This was an offense bent on pretty plays afraid to skate it in to the zone...get dirty.
giphy.gif

lets be real, the nhl has known the secret to this team for awhile now.
Well for 2 years yes lol...the flip pass is gone, don't have the speed to excute it nor the forecheck to make it successful. And other D's/ forwards have advanced plenty in defending it. PRESS high for the turnover...and oh did those turnovers ever come in droves...

Well for 2 years yes lol...the flip pass is gone, don't have the speed to excute it nor the forecheck to make it successful. And other D's/ forwards have advanced plenty in defending it. PRESS high for the turnover...and oh did those turnovers ever come in droves...

we were talking about this on the mb today... with the bolts and pens out,it seems all the speed got knocked out by d. nhl playoffs regressing to its originial form. structure, structure, structure.

Yes...All summer long...I don't watch the baseball as much as I used to...I now have plenty of time to overanalyze Mountaineer football till Sept...I will be wandering back over to the Blue Lot very soon...

as much as I love baseball/softball, I'm just done with it by the middle of june or so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT