ADVERTISEMENT

Round #1 -- Pens at Isles

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
From Pierre LeBrun, here is The Athletic's assessment of the series through the lens of two unidentified head coaches:

No question there was clear hesitance from both coaches in figuring out who they liked in this series.

I’m similarly torn on this one.

“The Isles don’t have an elite group, (Barry Trotz) has done a hell of a job to get them where they’re at,” said head coach No. 1. “Their goalies have played elite but they’re not elite. But something’s not right with Pittsburgh.

“Their secondary guys aren’t as good as they used to be. I’ll pick the Islanders because I love their mojo right now, that barn will be going. It’s a real home-ice advantage. But it’s really a toss-up of a series.’’

Head coach No. 2 went the other way, but not with any real conviction.

“I’m going to go with Pitt,” he said. “I think that playoff experience, I think the star power they have, I think when Pitt is dialed in, Mike (Sullivan) will have them going.

“My concern with the Islanders is that they overachieved this year, they bought in to the defensive part of the game, their goalies have been excellent. I think if the other team checks them just as well, I don’t know if they’ll be able to score enough. This is a tough one for me because I think they actually could check Pittsburgh out of the series but I just don’t have that feeling. I think Pittsburgh has been better down the stretch.’’

But again, it’s close for him.

“I do think Matt Murray will have to be the difference in the series,” said coach No. 2. “I don’t think Pittsburgh is that strong defensively. But I just don’t know if the Islanders have enough high-end talent to pull it off.’’

My pick: One could actually make the argument Sidney Crosby is having one of his most impressive seasons if you consider how he’s carried this squad at times. Overall, the Penguins have lacked consistency but No. 87 has been there every night to pull them into the fight. Kris Letang, too, has been all-world. But I, too, see a fading Penguins team overall. The Isles’ work ethic and defensive commitment is second to none this season. They just suffocate the opposition. Imagine being the league’s 31st team in goals against a year ago and then winning the Jennings 12 months later. Barry Trotz magic. But can they score enough to win a playoff series? I struggle with that. They’re the lowest-scoring team among the eight Eastern playoff teams.

I have very little feel for this series. I can easily be talked into why each side would prevail. When in doubt, the tiebreaker goes to the team with the guy who has done a lot of winning in his life.

Penguins in 7. Game 7 goes to double OT.

Reactions: torontoeers
DK reporting that while both Dumo and ZAR practiced today, neither currently appears likely to play in Game #1.

@COOL MAN .... these imo are two very solid picks. Centremen both...top line with Butler and Robertson in a year or two could be deadly. High hopes I guess after being summarily drummed out by the deGenerates again...
https://globalnews.ca/news/5137057/...vish-with-5th-overall-pick-in-2019-ohl-draft/

I read the piece, and the GM (in so many words) said there's little guys like him can do if a draftee doesn't want to report.....and just as notably, said this problem was "not unique to Peterborough". If that's the case, it leads me to wonder from a distance if that Draft has lost.....or, at the very least, is beginning to lose......its usefulness/purpose, and perhaps all kids should be free agents as they approach the Canadian juniors.

I read the piece, and the GM (in so many words) said there's little guys like him can do if a draftee doesn't want to report.....and just as notably, said this problem was "not unique to Peterborough". If that's the case, it leads me to wonder from a distance if that Draft has lost.....or, at the very least, is beginning to lose......its usefulness/purpose, and perhaps all kids should be free agents as they approach the Canadian juniors.
Could be...if that happens however the Petes are 100% doomed, not that they aren't headed that way in the near future. The loans or grants from the city are not gonna last forever. Private investment and a shiny new facility will be needed very damn soon regardless imo...sigh....

On another side note...my Sens buddies around here are losing their freakin minds at the possibility Colorado gets That #1 pick...18.5 % chance for Hughes! Lmao....all hell will break lose amongst that fan base tonight if so...although it's basically there already.

New toy coming tomorrow too boys...just in time. Not sure if they sell this In US? I assume they do? Sets up through your WiFi apparently with any of the 32 scoreboards/ teams around the league...damn thing better work... and I mean the Pens better make it work...bright f'n red often!!!
Budweiser-RED-NHL-Goal-Light-WIFI-US.jpg

Reactions: COOL MAN and Euell
Could be...if that happens however the Petes are 100% doomed, not that they aren't headed that way in the near future. The loans or grants from the city are not gonna last forever. Private investment and a shiny new facility will be needed very damn soon regardless imo...sigh....

We've jointly exchanged a bit previously on the overall state of the OHL, but I'm not sure I know (or can recall) your personal take on the following.....how many OHL teams would you estimate fall in the same boat at Peterborough; that is, who might view their futures (for whatever reason) as something less than totally established/secure ??

BTW, if you didn't see this previously, Games 1, 2, & 4 will be on NBCSN, while Game 3 on Sunday will be on NBC. In Canada, Games 1-4 will be on CBC. Everything beyond Game 4 (in every series) is TBA

On another side note...my Sens buddies around here are losing their freakin minds at the possibility Colorado gets That #1 pick...18.5 % chance for Hughes! Lmao....all hell will break lose amongst that fan base tonight if so...although it's basically there already.

Funny how good Ottawa is presumably feeling about their (I mean, Colorado's) pick falling out of the lottery altogether.....meanwhile, the Devils get their 2nd #1 in the past 3 seasons......almost Oil (and Pens) like. From what I can tell, Shero is pretty much locked into Hughes.

But, if I were the Rangers, I'm as happy picking 2nd as 1st, since I'd be perfectly delighted being "left" with the Kakko kid (and not being forced to make a choice).

We've jointly exchanged a bit previously on the overall state of the OHL, but I'm not sure I know (or can recall) your personal take on the following.....how many OHL teams would you estimate fall in the same boat at Peterborough; that is, who might view their futures (for whatever reason) as something less than totally established/secure ??
My best guesstimate would be bout -30 40 %? I know one thing, the numbers aren't good...The Shwa's, London's and Kitcheners of the league will always be there. One just needs to look at the consistency of payoff er um sorry playoff performers year over year...and sure the league will try and snow some owners into moving to another small market or GTA over the next few years but ultimately that is a fail as we have seen countless times, league wants to stay strong? Then refuse the move requests and say either improve your facilities or fold. Not sure they are making the kind of percentages the NHL is on adding teams with the ability to prop up false markets...ah hell of course they aren't...

Now...tick tock lets drop the puck already!!!!

Reactions: COOL MAN
kind of nervous for this game. I'm sure this team will start poorly vs the islander d.

You're not the only one... just get us the first one for now...I'll feel a lot better...

Not sure why ANY Pens fan should reasonably expect a big performance on what's probably the biggest night for the Islanders franchise in a full generation......or at least since Johnny T's return earlier this season to Long Island.

Not sure why ANY Pens fan should reasonably expect a big performance on what's probably the biggest night for the Islanders franchise in a full generation......or at least since Johnny T's return earlier this season to Long Island.
Still...inflict them with a dagger...start the slow bleed out....pacing...pacing here.....as usual. I intend to get a lot of exercise this spring...

because they are the islanders...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT