ADVERTISEMENT

Round #1 -- Pens at Isles

It’s goijg to be an interesting summer for sure. I just hope we don’t give Phil away just for the sake of trading him. It’s going to be difficult to replace those 82 points if we do move him. I think the rebuild needs to start with the defense. Let’s get back to having fast, puck moving defensemen. And yes, a few more Shultz like guys would be fine by me!

we were talking about this on the mb today... with the bolts and pens out,it seems all the speed got knocked out by d. nhl playoffs regressing to its originial form. structure, structure, structure.
What kinda shocked me a bit by that one however was how the Bolts seemed to be able to adapt to any brand you wanna play. Maybe the injuries, or maybe the fact they simply choke when it matters over the last few years...can we go in reverse and select Tampa first round now???

What kinda shocked me a bit by that one however was how the Bolts seemed to be able to adapt to any brand you wanna play. Maybe the injuries, or maybe the fact they simply choke when it matters over the last few years...can we go in reverse and select Tampa first round now???

the jackets threw the old 1-2-2 at the bolts and they never adjusted. sounds familiar huh?

Reactions: torontoeers
It’s goijg to be an interesting summer for sure. I just hope we don’t give Phil away just for the sake of trading him. It’s going to be difficult to replace those 82 points if we do move him. I think the rebuild needs to start with the defense. Let’s get back to having fast, puck moving defensemen. And yes, a few more Shultz like guys would be fine by me!
I think his limited term and number will actually be attractive to some teams...they may look for lightning in a bottle like we did. I'll take a few drafts eat some coin in process and give one or two young guys a shot. Jake didn't come from nowhere but his ceiling was never predicted this high...

JR has done a poor job building to what once was our strength and that being speed. He’s brought in slugs for defensemen and let key contributors go. I’m not sure I trust him with perhaps our biggest off season in many years. Might be time Mario puts the old man out to pasture and brings in a fresh set of eyes. I’m just sick about how it ended but am glad it’s over. I couldn’t take another game watching them turn the puck over and flail the puck around aimlessly. Goodbye Pens, hello summer! And can you imagine being a Lightning fan? Holy crap Batman!
I think JR has been terrible in the last 2 years for the Pens. It was clear after the Caps series in 2018 that changes needed to be be made to the D core. Buy hey lets go out and sign a 41 year old center. Nothing against Cullen but he is the past. He was only making 650K but why not give some young guy a try who actually may be part of the future. This type of move pretty much sums up JR's follies after the cup run ended.

The Bolts got physically manhandled. Columbus did to Tampa what the Islanders did to the Pens they played straight up in your face defensive Hockey. Over the last few seasons we have got used to teams with the free wheeling defenses having the most playoff success I think were starting to go back the other way. The kings were the last truly defensive team to win it and it seems like ages ago with the way the game has been played lately.

The good thing about getting swept is it sends a message that changes need to be made. This is the 2nd consecutive series were the Pens gave up a ton of odd man rushes. Its pretty clear the decisions being made and what there trying to do is no longer working. You can just hope that someone in the front office will get down to solving the real problems.

agree completely with your assessment of the d corps. however, its the baby forwards that want it that way. this franchise has been obsessed with "puck moving defensemen" for 40 years. forget about defending, forget about separating man from puck, forget about protecting the front of your own net, the most important quality of a penguin dman for the last 40 years has been his ability to pass to 87 or 71.
This is a critical offseason for the Pens. Geno and Sid aren't getting any younger. Depending on what type of rebuild is needed and the amount of time needed these two might only get 1 more chance at the cup. Another problem is for years the Metro conference was ruled By the Pens and Caps. Now you have a Carolina team which is the youngest in the playoffs. They also have stable ownership now. You have and Islander Team with a Hall of fame Gm and a great coach.you have a Columbus team that finally is showing life. Columbus will have a busy offseason with some high profile UFA'a. Will have to see if a long playoff run helps them keep their core Together. What was once a 2 team race has all of a sudden become a hornets nest.

Although he committed a fatal error last game I will take 6 Schultzie's on my back end...he is a damned good D man...my issue is not with Maatta (yes he is weak often) or the riverboat gambler Tanger (turnover machine), it's Pettersson...he has no f'n business getting the minutes he does...I would rather have seen Trotman out there. JJ was honestly imo adequate for what he brings to the table. Perhaps one too many penalties outta him trying to compensate.
In saying that...6 goals in 4 games is absofreakinlutely abysmal. I don't care who is defending you. This was an offense bent on pretty plays afraid to skate it in to the zone...get dirty.
I think Pulock and Pelech had alot to do with the Pens offense not wanting to skate in and get dirty. Those 2 are big boys. I watched both the avs Islanders games and the Islanders nailed landeskog about 3-4 times in one game. They took him down hard and Landeskogs a Big dude. They also got a good lick on Mackinnon. I think players around the league know the Isles have some heavy hitters on the blue line.

we were talking about this on the mb today... with the bolts and pens out,it seems all the speed got knocked out by d. nhl playoffs regressing to its originial form. structure, structure, structure.
It will be interesting to see what way the league goes but I want to see more heavy hitting from the Blue liners. The game has to many prima donna D man who have great offensive skill but can't hit or defend for sh%t

And thankfully for me The Leaves are also experiencing this difficulty tonight at hands of the B's...
I don't like what Im seeing out of my preds. I know they are tied 2-2 in their series but to be honest Dallas has been the better team in 3 of the 4 games. I think the stars are gonna take the series. As much as I hate to say it it might be a good thing if they lose because they need a shake up as well.

Here is and article about the Pens offseason take it for what its worth.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nh...touchable-for-pens-on-trade-market/ar-BBW26bG

I would love to see them move letang and kessel but I'll go on record and say its not happening.

lets start with 58, he makes so many mistakes and so much money who would want him? when you take in his injury situation and the fact that he may not have a functioning brain I don't see anyone wanting to pay him. his cap hit is 7.25 million which is absurd for all the mistakes he makes.

Then there is kessel, he had his big ironman streak for the pens and won 2 cups. He was completely irrelevant after february this year. He's been known as a team cancer and had other issues in his previous stops. Now I think some teams may value him but why would he want to leave pittsburgh? there's no media pressure here, coaching is non existent, and the fans seem to like him.

Reactions: torontoeers
I’d also add Dumo and Shultz to the “untouchable” list. Perhaps even McCann. Other than that blue light special on aisle 4!

I also wonder if Rossi views Geno as untouchable only because of his no trade clause or because the organization feels that strongly about him?

I can't even think about how to respond to the 1st statement so I'll just leave it alone.

the pens feel strongly about geno because he helps them sell tickets, remember the crowds from 01 to 04? Rob is a wvu guy.

I can't even think about how to respond to the 1st statement so I'll just leave it alone.

the pens feel strongly about geno because he helps them sell tickets, remember the crowds from 01 to 04? Rob is a wvu guy.

You don’t think those guys are top notch defensemen? I don’t think we can get rid of all our D so those two are obviously our best. And I know you hate Letang but he was having a career season until the goonery in Philly. That aside I’d trade him if we could find a sucker. I think our top two guys are what we build around.

https://theathletic.com/931734/2019...hnhackl-helped-show-the-islanders-how-to-win/

PITTSBURGH — A few inches to the right and Tom Kuhnhackl might still be a Penguin.

At the very least, his tenure with the franchise would have been extended for at least one more game.

Less than a year ago — May 7, 2018 — Kuhnhackl and the Penguins were battling the rival Capitals in Game 6 of a second-round series at PPG Paints Arena. Off a feed from left winger Carl Hagelin, Kuhnhackl uncorked a wrister from the right circle that beat Capitals goaltender Braden Holtby’s blocker on the far side then clunked off the far post.

The Capitals would score later in the period to claim the series en route to the franchise’s first Stanley Cup title.

“Oh … you’re going to bring that up again with the post?” Kuhnhackl said on Tuesday, after his current team, the Islanders, dispatched the Penguins 3-1 in Pittsburgh to earn a stunning sweep of their first-round series. “‘Trotzy’ reminds me of that too.”

“Trotzy” would be Barry Trotz, the former head coach of the Capitals who departed Washington last offseason to take on the same role with the Islanders, the team Kuhnhackl joined as a free agent in July.

A mere 338 days after that non-goal against the Capitals, another goal Kuhnhackl didn’t score set the tone for his former team’s quick exit from the postseason.

Just 33 seconds into Game 1 of their series against the Penguins on April 10, Kuhnhackl raced in off the bench and snapped a wrister from the left circle past the glove hand of Penguins goaltender Matt Murray. Clinking in off the crossbar, the score whipped an already rambunctious crowd at Nassau Veterans Memorial into pandemonium.

A video review nullified the goal, however, after it was ruled the Islanders had a player offside. But in many ways, that non-score showed the Penguins were never truly ready to face what these Islanders brought to the table. It allowed New York to set a tone for the series.

“I mean, it’s true,” said Kuhnhackl. “I don’t think anybody expected us to even make the playoffs. We’re just playing for each other. We’re just playing the way we’re supposed to, the way (Trotz) taught us from Day 1. If we can continue to do that, we can be successful.”

In Game 4, Kuhnhackl helped set up the series-clinching goal.

Pursuing a loose puck dumped into the Penguins’ end boards, Pittsburgh defenseman Marcus Pettersson was unable to claim it after being nudged into the boards by the left hand of a forechecking Kuhnhackl. That allowed Islanders right wing Josh Bailey to claim the loose puck, skate to the right corner and draw in Penguins defenseman Erik Gudbranson, leaving the slot vacant. Islanders center Brock Nelson drifted toward the crease, received a pass from Bailey and jabbed the puck past Murray’s blocker.

In many ways, it was the type of goal these Islanders could trademark.

“That’s part of our game,” Kuhnhackl said. “Getting pucks in, creating turnovers on the forecheck. We had a pretty good chip there. I went in there being physical, tried to create the turnover. Obviously, (Bailey) and (Nelson) made a hell of a play and put it in the net.”

Kuhnhackl appeared in all four games and finished with two assists (to say nothing of his non-goal). He also finished this series with a much different feeling than the last time he completed a postseason round in this building.

“Obviously, it was an exciting series facing my former team, a team I have a lot of great memories with. We’ve been through the same exact thing. It was an intense series. We’re just happy to move on to the next one.”

A member of the Penguins’ Stanley Cup teams in 2016 and 2017, Kuhnhackl left last offseason as a free agent. After failing to reach a contract extension with him as a restricted free agent, the Penguins declined to formally tender him a qualifying offer and allowed him to become an unrestricted free agent. Despite being a contributor to two championship squads, he had to settle for a one-year offer from the Islanders worth $700,000. According to Capfriendly, Kuhnhackl, along with defensemen Devon Toews and Dennis Seidenberg, has the smallest contract on the Islanders’ NHL roster.

Kuhnhackl’s value was reflected during the regular season as he was a healthy scratch for nearly as many games (33) as he played (36). He even spent some time in the AHL in Bridgeport during parts of October and November.

“For me, it’s tough when you’re not playing every game, but you have to support your teammates, stay positive, and that’s just part of being part of the team,” Kuhnhackl told Arthur Staple of The Athletic. “Whether bocyyou’re in or out, you always gotta stay positive.”

That outlook is what appealed to Islanders management when it pursued Kuhnhackl, especially given his exposure to the Penguins’ successful Stanley Cup runs.

“It’s important to have that,” Trotz said earlier this season “Part of winning, when you don’t have anybody surrounding you who has won, it’s hard to explain to the next guy. When you’ve won, players see what it takes. We’ve added some guys. All the guys that we’ve added have pretty good pedigree. Maybe they’re not the highest-end players, but they’re high-character guys, Tommy being one of them who has won, and he knows. You see it in their game. Those guys know how to win. They find a way to win. We try to add as many of those guys as we can.”

The only other Islanders players with Stanley Cup rings are defensemen Seidenberg, Nick Leddy and Johnny Boychuk, center Valtteri Filppula and left winger Andrew Ladd, sidelined for the remainder of the season due to a torn ACL. Kuhnhackl and Ladd are the only ones with multiple titles on their resumes.

“The people that have won, people like Tommy, even if he was a regular or a guy that was coming in and out of the lineup, he had been around a great culture and a winning program,” Trotz said. “That’s so important for our growth as an organization and a (management) group coming in. You look for character people. (General manager) Lou (Lamoriello) did a great job of finding the Tommy Kuhnhackls.”

While the Islanders swept the Penguins, they didn’t escape without incurring some damage. Boychuk and right winger Cal Clutterbuck both left Game 4 early with undisclosed injuries. Kuhnhackl had an ice bag affixed to a tender left shoulder after the contest.

“It’s physical out there. Everybody is a little banged up. That’s a part of hockey.

“That’s playoffs. They’re intense. It’s physical out there. Everybody is banged up: their team, our team, all the other teams. It’s just part of the playoffs.”

Thanks to Kuhnhackl’s contributions, the Islanders are still a part of these playoffs.

You don’t think those guys are top notch defensemen? I don’t think we can get rid of all our D so those two are obviously our best. And I know you hate Letang but he was having a career season until the goonery in Philly. That aside I’d trade him if we could find a sucker. I think our top two guys are what we build around.

my bad, I read your post incorrectly. I think dumo and schultz are the best the pens got. sucks that 58 takes minutes from schultz. especially on the powerplay.

lets be real about 58 he was scoring this year but he was terrible positionally the entire season.

I’d also add Dumo and Shultz to the “untouchable” list. Perhaps even McCann. Other than that blue light special on aisle 4!

I also wonder if Rossi views Geno as untouchable only because of his no trade clause or because the organization feels that strongly about him?
I think theres quite a few teams that would like to have Geno but to be real he's not cheap. He is a big cap hit and he is not a 1 to 1 trade. He is more like a 1 to 3 ratio. Most contenders would not be able to part with 3 key assests and remain contenders. If Geno was a UFA they might consider letting him walk and using the extra cash but for now I think He remains in the Black and gold.

my bad, I read your post incorrectly. I think dumo and schultz are the best the pens got. sucks that 58 takes minutes from schultz. especially on the powerplay.

lets be real about 58 he was scoring this year but he was terrible positionally the entire season.
I think its a general problem with these scoring D Man. They provide offense but get beat on the back end all the time. Some say Burns is the best but he gets beat all the time.

I would love to see them move letang and kessel but I'll go on record and say its not happening.

lets start with 58, he makes so many mistakes and so much money who would want him? when you take in his injury situation and the fact that he may not have a functioning brain I don't see anyone wanting to pay him. his cap hit is 7.25 million which is absurd for all the mistakes he makes.

Then there is kessel, he had his big ironman streak for the pens and won 2 cups. He was completely irrelevant after february this year. He's been known as a team cancer and had other issues in his previous stops. Now I think some teams may value him but why would he want to leave pittsburgh? there's no media pressure here, coaching is non existent, and the fans seem to like him.
Kessel's name always seems to pop up in trade rumours. I believe he made around 6mil this season. I think he would bring value to teams that lack size in there top 6 Nashville, Calgary if the prce was right.

I disagree on 58. I think he was playing some damn good hockey on both ends until he was injured. He was way better than he was in 17-18.

I disagree on 58. I think he was playing some damn good hockey on both ends until he was injured. He was way better than he was in 17-18.

disagree completely, while he was putting up those points he was still all over the ice. and this is what is supposed to be impressive. please.

the guy just isn't capable of being where he's supposed to be. probably an hour late for everything in his personal life as well.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
Lol...oh my!
YPO2Iuo.jpg

"What, you don't want me to make a mistake,” Letang sarcastically questioned. “I’ll try that. Next year I'll try to make no mistakes at all.”

“Maybe next year, you’ll say ‘hey, we have Kris in our lineup and he doesn’t do anything offensively.’ So then you’re going to rip me apart because I don’t produce anything.

“I totally assume that sometimes I make mistakes. I wish I could take those back. At the end of the day, yeah, I wish I could have done something else at different times.

Letang remained adamant that, despite his flaws, he doesn’t need to alter this aggressive traits.

“I don’t think the question of ‘should I change my whole game’ is going to be the answer to that. I’m not going to change, (because of) three plays in my whole year, the type of game I play.”

wow, way to double down 58.

you don't need to gamble to put up points.

Reactions: WVRON
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT