ADVERTISEMENT

People need to realize one specific detail.

VaultHunter

All-Conference
Gold Member
Apr 16, 2014
It will take a long time for WVU to build a winning successful football program in the Big 12. Kansas State has 1 Big12 championship in the entire time they have been a member. Anyone that is old enough that you could speak with would tell you that WVU went through a growing period when they moved up from playing Independent schedules and only (AA) schools to playing in the Big East conference. It took WVU 28 times to beat Penn State at one point in WVU history.

I'm sure coaches Like Saban, Meyer, Stoops could do it in 2-3 years maybe even sooner but WVU is not going to pull Nick Saban away from Alabama right now unless Saban decides he want to come back to West Virginia to end his career. Point is no matter who the coach is this is going to be a process and you can either accept that or I guess root for Marshall.

All we as WVU fans can do is hope WVU continues to stay winning enough bowl games to keep money coming in and better recruits as well. Top 25 seasons will do it and the reality is that is where WVU's program is at.

Point is its gonna take time for WVU to become a football program that is capable of winning a Big 12 championship every year. If WVU was in Dallas Texas it would probably be sooner but its not so that is the reality of this situation.

Kansas State has 1 Big12 championship in the entire time they have been a member.
Which one of the two they've won doesn't count--2003 or 2012?

Considering this is only the 20th season of Big 12 play, I'd say 2 titles in 20 years is just about right for a program like theirs.
All we as WVU fans can do is hope WVU continues to stay winning enough bowl games to keep money coming in and better recruits as well.
Well, we're not winning enough bowl games.
Top 25 seasons will do it and the reality is that is where WVU's program is at.
It is? We haven't even come close to a Top 25 finish since joining the Big 12. If we had, there wouldn't be a discussion about Holgorsen's job status.
Point is its gonna take time for WVU to become a football program that is capable of winning a Big 12 championship every year.
Stop trotting out this dusty canard to deflect criticism away from Holgorsen.

No one has ever seriously demanded that WVU be capable of winning a Big 12 championship every year. What we do have a right to expect is that WVU be capable of winning it in the peak years.

However, that can't ever happen when the coach's ceiling in this conference is 7-6.

I don't think it needs to take a long time. Just imagine if we had OSU's quarterback running our offense Saturday night.
This team only needs a steady quarterback to be better than most teams and competitive with the best.

Vault .... I loved your post taking aim at the Drama Queens. But there are just a few things that would make a huge difference with this team. And one adjustment, just having a steady quarterback, would make a huge difference. At worst, with a steady QB, this team would be 4-1.

I think we're a good QB away from being able to win this conference. If we are, that shows Dana's actually done a great job at building. If his demise is our lack of QB play, that will fall on him, however.

I think we're a good QB away from being able to win this conference. If we are, that shows Dana's actually done a great job at building. If his demise is our lack of QB play, that will fall on him, however.
Exactly. Aside from our weakness on the OL, namely LT, this year's team has the ability to compete with anyone in the conference and solid QB play will win most games. And I agree that Dana has positioned good athletes at most positions. We just need the right QB at this point.

I agree - overall he has recruited well. We were good enough to win the past 2 weeks....lack of discipline and iffy QB play and some play calling is what is holding us down. But as you said that's on him to find a QB.

I read defeatist posts like the OP and all I hear is blah, blah blah.....blah blah blah..........don't tell TCU it takes time to compete in the Big 12

Tell TCU this because they were a mid major before the Big 12

Hell, we ARE competing, we just ain't winning. If we had stopped them on fourth down in OT and kicked a field goal and won the only thing different would be that W.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT