ADVERTISEMENT

Pens vs Music City....

Here I sit, 19 hrs removed from watching my 5th Cup clinching Pens win. A couple of things stand out 21 different skaters had points in these 25 games with all of those having at least 2. 18 different players scored goals. MAF in 200 more minutes faced a whopping 169 more shots. That is nuts. And the save % between MAF and MM was separated by just 0.13%. MM faced a shot every 2.2 minutes. MAF once ever 1.8 minutes. I have thought since last year that the team played more responsibly with MM in goal for some odd reason. Some of that has to do with Ottawa's style of play too. Maatta was plus 8 in the playoffs.....Who would have guessed that? Carter Rowney played in 20 games and Tom Kuhnhackle just 11. Who would have guessed that in early April. This is my opinion, but I thought Hagelin was the worst player on either roster before game 5....he was very good in games 5 and 6 IMO. Brian Dumoulin was never mention for the Conn Smyth ....that is a travesty. He was steady on a D corp that needed steady. I thought Sid was a beast for most of the playoffs. In fact I thought this was his best playoffs since 2009. But my Conn Smythe winner is Jake Guentzel. 5 game winning goals including 2 in the finals. 13 goals overall. That is my vote.

Reactions: Euell
Here I sit, 19 hrs removed from watching my 5th Cup clinching Pens win. A couple of things stand out 21 different skaters had points in these 25 games with all of those having at least 2. 18 different players scored goals. MAF in 200 more minutes faced a whopping 169 more shots. That is nuts. And the save % between MAF and MM was separated by just 0.13%. MM faced a shot every 2.2 minutes. MAF once ever 1.8 minutes. I have thought since last year that the team played more responsibly with MM in goal for some odd reason. Some of that has to do with Ottawa's style of play too. Maatta was plus 8 in the playoffs.....Who would have guessed that? Carter Rowney played in 20 games and Tom Kuhnhackle just 11. Who would have guessed that in early April. This is my opinion, but I thought Hagelin was the worst player on either roster before game 5....he was very good in games 5 and 6 IMO. Brian Dumoulin was never mention for the Conn Smyth ....that is a travesty. He was steady on a D corp that needed steady. I thought Sid was a beast for most of the playoffs. In fact I thought this was his best playoffs since 2009. But my Conn Smythe winner is Jake Guentzel. 5 game winning goals including 2 in the finals. 13 goals overall. That is my vote.

Good stuff OM. I'm gonna miss Fleury next season. Hard to imagine the Pens without his smiling face. One of my all time favorite Penguins. I wish him the best.

Dumoulin was easily our best and most consistent defenseman. He doesn't play a flashy game though and he often gets over looked. I just can't believe our motley crew of a defense held together and got it done. Outstanding job!

Hags was clearly struggling in his recovery from his broken ankle. I read today he also had a cracked bone in the other ankle. Seems like he was just starting to get close to a 100%. I just hope he's back next season as I love his speed and moxie.

I gotta say this is perhaps my favorite of the teams five Stanley Cup runs. Last year we were healthy and dominate. This year we had to battle injuries and over come so much. I never doubted we could do it but wondered if or when we might run out of gas or healthy bodies. A total team effort and hats of to each and every player and the entire staff. What Sully has done in his first two seasons as head coach will go down in history. Truly amazing! And the best part, we may not be done yet. For now, I'm gonna savor this one all summer and basque in all its glory. Lord Stanley, Lord Stanley pass me the brandy! Let's Go Pens!

Parade tomorrow......I'm in Chattanooga TN, so it doesn't appear as though I'll be able to make the festivities :wink: However, I'm downright shocked to see that Comcast cable here at the Chattanooga Hilton Garden Inn actually carries NHL Network, so maybe I can catch some of it tomorrow night.

Was in meetings most of the day today; meanwhile, at least all the moaning and hand wringing about the no-goal call had begun to subside on NHLN Radio. Oh, and this may not be a scoop, but the evidence still seems to indicate a fair number of folks associated with the Preds had their fill of Subban's big mouth by the time they finally stuffed the rag in his yap after Game 5.

Also, regarding the Preds, NHLN Radio was reporting today that the Preds will likely leave James Neal unprotected in the expansion draft......which doesn't mean he'll be taken. OTOH, probably THE single biggest problem new teams have is scoring goals. And while Neal will never again scare the 40 goal mark which earned him his current 6/30 deal, he's still considered a goal scorer. And they'll have more than enough cap room to handle his deal.

I personally think Vegas WILL grab Neal if he's made available.

Just finished watching the Game 6 replay, and TWO things hit me in particular:

1-Carl Hagelin finally seemed to get back his legs/feet 100% in the game, exemplified by his ENG where he left PK Subban......a player with some decent wheels in his own right......absolutely in his vapor trail.

2-It was amazing to note how much happier Flower looked in the post game celebration this year versus last year. Of course, no reason why he shouldn't have been happy; everyone knows this team never makes the conference finals against Ottawa without him.

Parade tomorrow......I'm in Chattanooga TN, so it doesn't appear as though I'll be able to make the festivities :wink: However, I'm downright shocked to see that Comcast cable here at the Chattanooga Hilton Garden Inn actually carries NHL Network, so maybe I can catch some of it tomorrow night.

Was in meetings most of the day today; meanwhile, at least all the moaning and hand wringing about the no-goal call had begun to subside on NHLN Radio. Oh, and this may not be a scoop, but the evidence still seems to indicate a fair number of folks associated with the Preds had their fill of Subban's big mouth by the time they finally stuffed the rag in his yap after Game 5.

Also, regarding the Preds, NHLN Radio was reporting today that the Preds will likely leave James Neal unprotected in the expansion draft......which doesn't mean he'll be taken. OTOH, probably THE single biggest problem new teams have is scoring goals. And while Neal will never again scare the 40 goal mark which earned him his current 6/30 deal, he's still considered a goal scorer. And they'll have more than enough cap room to handle his deal.

I personally think Vegas WILL grab Neal if he's made available.
Take this as you will CM....Sent to me by my friend who is certainly no fan of Mr. Neal based on past interactions...the NHL admitted they had a significant problem in 2015, couple that with the issues Mr. Johanssen had in Columbus? Looks like they're saying 'we're gonna PARTY tonight' after that series win...perhaps not surprising good ole James will be left unprotected? Vegas seems a suitable fit for such habits...they may be wise to avoid !

Reactions: COOL MAN
I just read that Neal reportedly played the Finals with a broken hand.......I myself can't believe he did anything (like put his hand in front of a shot) that would result in his hand actually being broken. But we know Horndog played with a broken hand (or fingers), so it seems only right (and incredibly ironic) that the guy for whom he was traded had the same problem.

I just read that Neal reportedly played the Finals with a broken hand.......I myself can't believe he did anything (like put his hand in front of a shot) that would result in his hand actually being broken. But we know Horndog played with a broken hand (or fingers), so it seems only right (and incredibly ironic) that the guy for whom he was traded had the same problem.

So speaking of the expansion draft who aside from Fleury do you guys believe the Pens will leave unprotected? I've read rumors of Cole possible be one of the defenseman. Given Oli's shakey play might he be the other? And what about Rust and Hags? I'd hate to lose either.

At this point, Fleury is the most obvious X-factor; assuming he's not traded in advance of the Draft......and is selected by Vegas.....that solves essentially all the "who are we going to lose" questions.

Of course, it's possible the Knights take Fleury, and flip him to someone else....like (believe it or not) Philadelphia.....because they're probably going to select Grubauer from Washington and Raanta from the NYR. Of course, nothing keeping them from moving Raanta in the same manner as MAF if they can get a better perceived return.

Meanwhile, let's assume for a second the following are largely guaranteed for protection.....and remember they can protect either 7F/3D/1G (11 players) or 8 skaters/1G (9 players).
  • Crosby, Dumoulin, Kessel, Letang, Malkin, Murray, Schultz
  • Scenario #1 leaves the team with 4 more forwards to protect.....which I myself think would be Horndog, Rusty, and two choices between Hagelin, Sheary, and Sundqvist
  • Scenario #2 leaves them 2 more skaters to protect.....which I myself think would be Maatta and a choice between Horndog, Rusty, or Sheary.
I've read multiple online assessments who believe they'll go the 8S/1G route, because that's the only way to ensure a currently defense-shallow organization can return their Top 4 from this past season. I'm not sure I disagree with that in the abstract,

I'll leave it up to each of you to make your own decision as to which scenario you believe best for the team, and whether you agree or disagree with my choices.

One more question for each of you.......if he didn't have an NMC (which forces the team to protect him).....do you think GMJR would leave Kessel unprotected ??

He is grossly overpaid for his contribution level. So I would say yes

Phil the Thrill had 23 points in 25 playoff games. Averaging almost a point a game in the playoffs is no easy feat. His mere prescence on Geno's line makes life a lot easier for Geno. Kessel is a valuable part and a key ingredient in two Stanley Cup runs. I protect his ass everyday and twice on Sunday! Lol!

Phil the Thrill had 23 points in 25 playoff games. Averaging almost a point a game in the playoffs is no easy feat. His mere prescence on Geno's line makes life a lot easier for Geno. Kessel is a valuable part and a key ingredient in two Stanley Cup runs. I protect his ass everyday and twice on Sunday! Lol!

All I can say is that I have no stomach for him not particating for long stretches. He is a below average player defensively. He is a mediocre fore checker at best. When he goes into a funk and doesn't work hard on the offensive end or shoot when presented with a chance, he adds little.

All I can say is that I have no stomach for him not particating for long stretches. He is a below average player defensively. He is a mediocre fore checker at best. When he goes into a funk and doesn't work hard on the offensive end or shoot when presented with a chance, he adds little.

You didn't ask for my opinion, OM, but I honestly don't think too many folks would disagree with your assessment..... but then again, I don't think too many folks should be looking to him for defense or forechecking. As for those stretches where he refuses to pull the trigger, I don't think anyone can explain that.

If you watch him closely, you can see he's obsessed with open shooting lanes; something that, even on the PP, is in short supply to him on that half wall. In any event, I think he's kind of the hockey equivalent of a DH who's never going to bat over .250 but hits homers (and drives in runs). Players like that.....especially those in the lineup everyday......usually make more money than they probably should.

But there's no question he can be infuriating, and I don't think there's much doubt he's gotten HCMS' goat up any number of times over this past season. But Kessel's got the kind of persona where he just doesn't seem to give two shits what anyone thinks of him or his game, whether things are going good or bad.

He doesn't look for accolades, and doesn't care about criticism......to that extent, he really is (for good or bad) a fairly unique individual in professional sports these days.

I can't disagree with any of those things. Everyone knew what he was when we made the trade. I do think he's been an asset in both Stanley Cup runs though.

I can't disagree with any of those things. Everyone knew what he was when we made the trade. I do think he's been an asset in both Stanley Cup runs though.

What's so interesting to me is that at times, he can be one of the most dynamic offensive players in the league. (see first three rounds of 2016) Other times, he appears to not care about anything but his next meal. To be fair, there are games where Geno and Sid have their moments where they appear to just wait for the open skate, but for The Thrill, these funks can last weeks and achieve 4th line production. While it is fair to say that I am not The Thrill's #1 fan, I could tolerate him a lot more if he was making about $4.5 million :smiley:

What's so interesting to me is that at times, he can be one of the most dynamic offensive players in the league. (see first three rounds of 2016) Other times, he appears to not care about anything but his next meal. To be fair, there are games where Geno and Sid have their moments where they appear to just wait for the open skate, but for The Thrill, these funks can last weeks and achieve 4th line production. While it is fair to say that I am not The Thrill's #1 fan, I could tolerate him a lot more if he was making about $4.5 million :smiley:

I don't pay his salary so I enjoy the highlight moments. Lol!

Perhaps Kessel's biggest problem is that you/we simply can't have him both ways; meaning the 80 point guy we feel we deserve.....at the cap number he got from the Leafs.....or the 60 or so point guy (on average) he's probably destined generally to be in Pittsburgh playing behind Sid and Geno.

What I'll also say is, like it or not, the simple reality is that 60 point guy in today's NHL is making way more than $4.5 million per season.

@torontoeers

this you ?

DEU1WtgWsAEOQHa.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT