ADVERTISEMENT

Pens vs Music City....

This is gonna be good....at least on paper.....Let's do this!!!! Whoa yes!!!
As I posted on the other thread my hope (not a prediction) is win two in the Burgh, split in Nashville and then only need to win 1 of final three. Of course if they just want to go ahead and sweep I am fine with that. I hope Horny is back for Monday's clash.

Glad it's not a quick turn around and the guys have a few days to rest up. The guys on NHL network think rinne will be tougher to crack than Andersen for the pens. Andersen was a major pain in the butt, I hope with the long layoff he loses some of his sharpness.

Reactions: Euell
Glad it's not a quick turn around and the guys have a few days to rest up. The guys on NHL network think rinne will be tougher to crack than Andersen for the pens. Andersen was a major pain in the butt, I hope with the long layoff he loses some of his sharpness.

I saw a stat somewhere that Rinne has the lowest save % of all playoff goalies versus "danger" shots. I think if the Pens get traffic in front we will get to Rinne much like we did Bobvrosky and Holtby. Horny, if he makes it back, could have a huge series. Let's go Pens!

Reactions: Euell and hbeacheer
I'm starting to get jacked about this series and it's only Saturday. Is that bad?
I'm worried about rinne in net. He's a 6'5" 220 dude similar to Murray. The free flowing game should benefit the pens right? I can't imagine the guys will have a tougher time with Nashville than the sens. The sens played shut down D, I don't think Nashville will play that way.

I'm starting to get jacked about this series and it's only Saturday. Is that bad?
I'm worried about rinne in net. He's a 6'5" 220 dude similar to Murray. The free flowing game should benefit the pens right? I can't imagine the guys will have a tougher time with Nashville than the sens. The sens played shut down D, I don't think Nashville will play that way.

To my personal recollection, Rinne has NOT caused the Pens much trouble the past few years in the infrequent times they've been matched up.

Now, exactly what that has to do with the next 2 weeks is something I don't know, particularly in light of the fact this may be THE single best streak of his career. Of course, the operative word there is STREAK; and the only thing everyone knows about them..... just like our upcoming summer vacations..... is that they eventually come to an end.

The NHL Network Television guys have really jumped on the Preds bandwagon; perhaps with total justification. They've concluded largely that the Preds defensive Top 4 have already neutralized the Crosby and Malkin lines, and will generate an offensive thrust the Pens pedestrian defense can't possibly envision coming off their first 3 rounds.

As I said, that may be 100% true. But something tells me......perhaps mistakenly......that the defending Cup Champs just might show up and make a reasonable showing. And at least nobody is denying the borderline incredible advantage they have in playoff experience. Plus, I get the impression the Rinne v Murray match-up is being viewed largely as a wash.

Interestingly, the Preds are being represented largely as unbeatable at home, even though I'm pretty sure both the Blues AND Ducks won in Nashville during these playoffs. Conversely, the Preds have been VERY good on the road thus far; so it's not hard to envision them splitting the first two games.

Reactions: hbeacheer and Euell
On Sunday afternoon, it appears as though Horndog is ready......or perhaps just about ready.....to play again.

On DK this afternoon, I kind of feel like HCMS might be a little more enthused about his prospects for Game 1 than Horndog himself. Reading between the lines, I feel maybe he'd like one more practice before re-entering the lineup; he was evidently skating on the #4 line today with Cullen and Hags. In any event, he's still being called a game time decision.

Schultz was said to be in some pain after Game 7 after having fallen on it in the 2nd period, but he evidently felt as though it was manageable.....and he appears to be a full GO for Game 1. Surprisingly, it looks like Ruhwedel has been medically cleared and will be available for Game 1 if needed. However,
he still looks like the #7 D-man and won't be asked to play without another injury (or re-injury).

But it's no secret Dumoulin has been playing hurt the last 2 weeks, and I find myself wondering if Ruhwedel's return might make it a little more likely he gets sat one game soon.

Also, Sheary......as I theorized after Game 7.....was back skating with Sid and CK on the 1st line.

Guentzel was NOT skating on a regular line (only on the #2 PP unit): line combos were Geno-Wilson-Kessel, Bonino-Rust-Rowney, and Cullen-Hags-Horndog. In other words, he appears to be a decent candidate for healthy scratch IF Horndog goes.

Also, Sheary......as I theorized after Game 7.....was back skating with Sid and CK on the 1st line.

Guentzel was NOT skating on a regular line (only on the #2 PP unit): line combos were Geno-Wilson-Kessel, Bonino-Rust-Rowney, and Cullen-Hags-Horndog. In other words, he appears to be a decent candidate for healthy scratch IF Horndog goes.

I'd have a hard time sitting Guentzel. If Horny is a go I'd rather sit Hags.

At least Guentzel is generating chances. He seems to be gripping the stick a little tightly and the post has not been kind to him recently. But the effort seems to be there

From what I remember......and my memory is admittedly garbage these days......Guentzel seemingly has never fully recovered from the freight train (don't recall who made the hit) he ran into mid-series versus the Craps.

I agree he's been getting good chances, which he SHOULD be getting on Sid's wing. But if he's getting feeds from Sid, he's simply GOT to find a way to finish, because he's simply not a well-rounded enough player......at least not yet......to help the team in other ways. And his size......he's even smaller than a somewhat stockier Conor Sheary......will always work to his detriment.

At this point, given a choice between the two as the 8th winger, I'm probably in favor of dressing the uber-experienced Hagelin (who seems FINALLY to be getting his wheels back) over Jake G. And who knows; maybe sitting a game or two helps him as it seems to have done to Sheary.

Afternoon thoughts from DK are that Horndog IS in tonight, and Guentzel will get the nod over Hagelin for the last forward spot. Nothing is official until game time, and it doesn't sound as though anyone has been formally advised of the final decision as of the time of the report.

Reactions: torontoeers
And then there is this from media day...
https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2017/05/28/the-stage-has-found-pk-subban-again-arthur.html

And if there were any wonder why this guy was jettisoned by the Habs, now that its on the big stage, its even more about HIM. How long till his act with teammates wears thin? I would suggest that WHEN they lose is a good starting point. The whole PK interviewer thing was even pre staged (perhaps obviously), he just happened to have a mic battery pack attached? It will be satisfying to see him lose...although I'll feel bad for ColoradoMountaineer...he's been waiting awhile for this breakthough, and I imagine is pretty ecstatic...
And the whole Phil heartbreak for PK thing? Is that Phil talking about PK or is it Phil talking about...Phil? Quit the yip yap and get to the damn game already...

Lets Go Pens!!!

Through a screen, but not a good GA by Murray, IMO.

Meanwhile, I think the Pens got a gift on the overturned call. Sometimes you get 'em and sometimes you don't....

Did Murray get his crotch jammed into the post by his own man??

That was an awful 5 on 3, but Geno bails them out by overpowering Rinne.

Well....the Neal penalty was at least legit! And BOOM!!!....BTW have I mentioned how much I hate that asshat? Well done James! Ya dick!

Are there two shorter fuses in the League than Malkin and Neal ?? Amazing they not only both played for the Pens, but on the same line.

Meanwhile, get ready for the avalanche of criticism tomorrow from the peanut gallery as to how the League constantly protects Sid.

Guess that's a nice bounce off Ekholm......meanwhile, not sure how a team who gets outskated that badly early goes to the room up 3-0. Add to that the overturned goal, and we apparently have a Lord who (for now, at least) is pretty clearly pulling for the Pens.

Guess that's a nice bounce off Ekholm......meanwhile, not sure how a team who gets outskated that badly early goes to the room up 3-0. Add to that the overturned goal, and we apparently have a Lord who (for now, at least) is pretty clearly pulling for the Pens.
Do we EVER! ....AND BTW CM....get a load of this. After the 'Canadian' idiots diatribe vs American hockey players the other night ? He is wearing his stars and stripes jacket ! Oh my! The F'n asshat! .....I've got a few more adjectives to add but wont...damn do I HATE HIM....

Reactions: COOL MAN
Would be REALLY nice if we're seeing evidence that Conor Sheary is officially rediscovering his magic touch from January and February.......

Does Murray come out for the 2nd, or will we see Flower ?? I think he left the ice generally in one piece, but who knows......we know he's not exactly a physical Ironman.

Do we EVER! ....AND BTW CM....get a load of this. After the 'Canadian' idiots diatribe vs American hockey players the other night ? He is wearing his stars and stripes jacket ! Oh my! The F'n asshat! .....I've got a few more adjectives to add but wont...damn do I HATE HIM....

Knowing Grapes, he's pulling SO hard for Nashville that he's completely forgotten the Penguins are also American......or he's just letting everyone know that the Pens are the one American team he can't root for.

Could somebody at Rogers have gotten to Grapes and told him he crossed the line the other night, and this is how he attempts to dig his way out that shithole HE created ???

Hoping the Pens don't snooze their way through this period and give up two (or more)......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT