ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- Summer 2017

Go away and quit plugging up yet another thread...nothing to offer.....

Put the jackass on Ignore, and you never have to look at another of his thread-pluggers again (and yes, I know exactly to whom you refer without even seeing it/them).

You'll be downright amazed how much the OT Board shrinks when you use that functionality. What's hysterical about the guy is that he evidently hasn't the foggiest idea that literally nobody has the remotest shred of interest in anything he posts, regardless of the subject.
He's always been one ot those types who gets off on seeing his post count increase.

Reactions: torontoeers
Put the jackass on Ignore, and you never have to look at another of his thread-pluggers again (and yes, I know exactly to whom you refer without even seeing it/them).

You'll be downright amazed how much the OT Board shrinks when you use that functionality. What's hysterical about the guy is that he evidently hasn't the foggiest idea that literally nobody has the remotest shred of interest in anything he posts, regardless of the subject.
He's always been one ot those types who gets off on seeing his post count increase.
I guess I'm gonna have to it seems...and ya know the really sad thing about it is, I'd actually like to hear his opinion about the game,...the team etc, the more the better, and it's sport, an escape from the everyday... I thought was supposed to be a message board for discussion?...you , I or anyone else doesn't always agree all the time, and it opens one's mind imo which is great... Instead it's a bunch of useless Twit links. It makes me wonder if he even watches or cares about the sport whatsoever? So odd...

From the Much-ado-about-nothing wing of the Pens front office, I read a piece the other day about another theoretical candidate that GMJR could have on his radar as a #3 center candidate, and that's the Dead Wings' Riley Sheahan.

I think the basic thought process here surrounding Sheahan is more about the Wings' cap issues than any sincere desire to get rid of him. Wings evidently have cap problems as bad as virtually anyone else in the League; and while he's only got a $2.1 million AAV, the Wings simply have to clear some cap space to operate this year.

I heard a discussion on NHLN a week or so ago about their current cap problems. Keeping in mind the Wings are probably in the bottom 5 (if not the bottom 3) in the League these days, they have a borderline incredible 11 players with cap hits of $4 million or more this year (Zetterberg, Tatar, Neilsen, Nyquist, Abdelkater, Green, Kronwall, DeKeyser, Ericsson, Howard, and Mrazek). And that doesn't include the combined almost $8 million they're paying Darren Helm and Johan Franzen.

Kenny Holland......employed on reputation as much as any GM in the business these days......should be canned for the Abdelkater contract alone (and that's before the Ericsson and Green contracts HE wrote). But while moving Sheahan obviously doesn't solve their problem, but every little bit theoretically helps. Anyway, just a little more grist for our off-season mill.

Meanwhile, in looking up the Wings salaries for 17/18, I see they're paying Trevor Daley $4.0 million this season (then $3.3 million in Year 2 then $2.2 million in Year 3 of his new deal). Why is it I won't be shocked if his $3.167 million cap hit is dead money by the last year of his new contract ?? And speaking of dead money, did you realize Holland still has $7.5 million to pay (over the next 4 years) from the ludicrous Stephen Weiss deal he flushed a couple years ago.

Was listening to NHLN Radio yesterday and heard a name that could be a fallback for GMJR if he's desperate for a 3rd line center, or else if Cullen hangs it up.....Eric Fehr.

I assume he'd be available for a low round pick.....

Was listening to NHLN Radio yesterday and heard a name that could be a fallback for GMJR if he's desperate for a 3rd line center, or else if Cullen hangs it up.....Eric Fehr.

I assume he'd be available for a low round pick.....
Hmmm....that is interesting...not sure if I'm in favour or against it...just give us Cullen lol!

Reactions: torontoeers
I did think about you the other day, t, when I first saw the Murray newf pic. Since MM is about the most laid back dude in all of Ontario, a newf would seem to be the perfect pooch for him.
This is true...I sometimes like to think I'm laid back...but then I get fiesty from time to time...especially on the off topic board when I should steer clear lol...thank goodness the Newf keeps me from going over the edge! :wink:

Not long now and the boys of winter are back on blades! No rest for the wicked....looking forward to the opener football wise vs. V Tech, will be there to cheer em on, and for the first time see DC for a few days! Euell there as well...LGM!!! [WVU]

I gotta' admit I'm not at all happy with Matt Cullen. Obviously, as a free agent, he's 100% free to make whatever decision he chooses. And it's not like the $1 million/season he was making in Pittsburgh.....and what GMJR was evidently prepared to pay him again this season......is an "unrefusable" deal.

But, it's not like Minnesota's deal.....at the same salary plus a possible $700K in bonuses......should make that much a difference to a guy who's earned $35 million over his career, especially for one supposedly on record of having told GMJR that if he played next season, it'd be in PIttsburgh. Of course, as I've stated in the past, guys who have already won 2 rings in PIttsburgh have little incentive to give the team a discount.

And it's no secret Minnesota has been in on Cullen for some time, as they tried to sign him last season. Frankly, he could have easily played the "I want to play my last season at home" card before the 4th of July if this decision was about his wife (though he'll always claim it's about his kids). This way, GMJR could have been making alternative plans all the while.

What PO's me is that I myself don't think he had any intention.....or at least very little intention.....to retire this summer. For that reason, I absolutely think this was 100% calculated; he wanted to wait until the deadest time of the summer to make the announcement hoping it was fly under the radar. Well, it's not flying under the radar for me, especially as a fan of a team who really needed him this season coming off the Bonino departure.

I'm also PO'd enough that I hope the team doesn't even consider a scoreboard tribute when he comes to Pittsburgh next season. Meanwhile, now that the team is officially down two centers from last season....GMJR may well be forced to make a bigger deal than he might prefer; meaning Jordan Staal.

Of course, he can't even consider this without moving at least $4 million back to Carolina. That means Hagelin, Maatta (who Carolina doesn't need), or Sheary (plus maybe Rusty) have to be part of the deal. I don't think GMJR will move ZAR or Sprong, but I could be wrong (no pun intended) about that. But I wonder if someone like FIlip Gustavsson could be of interest to Ronnie Francis.

Even though he doesn't have any history with GMJR, another name I'm all of a sudden thinking about (along with Eric Fehr) as a trade possibility is former Pens center Mark Letestu, currently playing on the 4th line in Edmonton.

So, GMJR is bringing in Jay McClement for a PTO at center.

From what I've read, he'd deliver pretty much exactly what Matt Cullen was asked to do when he was brought in; and that's win faceoffs and kill penalties. I don't get the impression he has anywhere near the offensive upside of Cullen who, to my way of thinking, proved a FAR more effective scorer on the 4th line than I myself ever expected.

I guess the current smart money is that he's being viewed as a possible replacement for Cullen on the 4th line.

If you haven't seen it, the following is a piece from yesterday's Pitt Post Gazette with the latest on former Pens bust Eric Tangradi.

I had no idea he was still playing the game.....sounds like he's become a solid contributor to Grand Rapids in the AHL.......and was honestly surprised to see he remains only 28 years old. I hope the kid can burrow his way back to the League and earn a reasonable contract before he's eventually forced to give it up. Almost 10 years later, I freely admit ET was the source of my personal excitement as the unknown prospect Anaheim threw into the Ryan Whitney for Chris Kunitz deal;

I convinced myself he'd be the Top 6 power forward the team desperately needed (and still has essentially never found) to deal with all the horses the Craps and Flyers had on their rosters.

Despite his flop with the Penguins, Eric Tangradi hasn't given up hope

August 28, 2017 7:00 AM
By Jason Mackey / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The trade that brought Eric Tangradi to Pittsburgh occurred in February 2009, when Twitter was still gaining steam and social media was at least relatively new. Back then, Tangradi would routinely search his name to see what people were saying.

It wasn’t always good.

“I let the little things eat me up,” Tangradi said recently following an informal workout at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex.

Getting too wrapped up in the hype surrounding that trade — which was primarily a Chris Kunitz-for-Ryan Whitney swap with Anaheim — was something that changed the course of Tangradi’s NHL career, he admitted.

When Tangradi looks back at that trade, it’s hard for him to not feel a twinge of remorse. He wishes he could offer advice to his younger self. But even though Tangradi’s now 28 and still searching for another NHL shot, he does realize there was some good to come out of it as well.

“You never want to have regrets, but there’s a lot of things I would have liked to have done differently,” Tangradi said. “I feel like if I had the mindset and the mentality I do at 28, with the youth and confidence I had then, I think it would have been a lot different than it turned out.

“You can’t look back on the negatives. It’s groomed me into the player that I am now. I almost wish that I had another shot at it. But you can’t go back. I have some good memories here. I met my wife here. The city has been amazing to me. It obviously didn’t work in Pittsburgh as I had hoped.”

The Penguins traded Tangradi to Winnipeg for a seventh-round pick in 2013, pulling the plug on an experiment that lasted 45 NHL
games with the Penguins from 2009-13, where Tangradi produced just one goal and five points.

Tangradi stuck with the Jets through the following season before he was traded to Montreal in October 2014 and assigned to the Hamilton Bulldogs, the Canadiens’ AHL affiliate.

Dropping down a level did wonders for Tangradi’s game. He scored 14 goals in 48 games that season, earning a seven-game cup of coffee in the NHL. The next year, after signing with the Grand River Griffins, Tangradi scored 28 times and contributed 56 points for the Red Wings’ minor league team.

In 2016-17, in the first year of a two-year extension, Tangradi helped the Griffins win the Calder Cup with 17 goals and 44 points during the regular season, plus two goals and 19 points in 19 playoff contests.

“We thought we could do it,” Tangradi said of the team’s Cup run. “We just needed all the right pieces to kind of align with injuries and stuff like that. It did. It was an exciting time.”

Tangradi is one of the oldest players on the ice at these informal workouts. The only others his age are NHL regulars. Tangradi is not that, although he hasn’t given up hope that can he become one soon.

“I definitely feel like I have something to offer,” Tangradi said. “I’ve been able to score at the AHL level. Whether that can translate to the NHL level ... I believe it can. I just need to get an opportunity. I’m trying to go into camp with a positive mindset and do what I do well and let the rest take care of itself.”

An opportunity could definitely be available this season on a rebuilding Red Wings team, and it wouldn’t be a stretch to see Tangradi get another shot at nailing down regular NHL work.

If it doesn’t, though, Tangradi has zero plans to stop trying.

“I go into every training camp trying to earn an NHL spot,” Tangradi said. “If I ever get to a point where I don’t have that mindset, that’s when the fire goes away.

“I’d like to play for 10 more years. I’d like to play in North America for 10 more years. I know how competitive it is; you need to offer something at the AHL level and the NHL level to keep yourself around. With how competitive veteran spots are in the minors, I have to bring more off the ice than I do on the ice.”

Such perspective would have been beneficial to young Tangradi, who admitted his head grew way too large after he was anointed some sort of can’t-miss prospect in the trade.

Tangradi called the past four years “the best hockey I’ve played at the pro level,” and the numbers bear that out. He routinely sees a sports psychiatrist and has chilled out quite a bit, something that didn’t happen in Pittsburgh.

“I think I got caught up in what I was supposed to be and people telling me how I was supposed to play,” Tangradi said. “There’s a reason why I got to this level, a reason why I’ve played 144 NHL games. If I could have told my younger self then and went out and played and didn’t try to please everybody, I think I would have been much more effective at the NHL level.

“I know getting another opportunity might be hard, but I’m ready if that chance ever comes.”

Jason Mackey: jmackey@post-gazette.com and Twitter @JMackeyPG.

NHLN was doing the latest of the zillion analysis I've heard this summer on Vegas, and Alex Tanguay was talking about James Neal and his possibility as a late season candidate (as a 2018 free agent) for trade. And guess who he theorized could be a trading partner for the Knights......none other than YOUR Pittsburgh Penguins.

NHLN was doing the latest of the zillion analysis I've heard this summer on Vegas, and Alex Tanguay was talking about James Neal and his possibility as a late season candidate (as a 2018 free agent) for trade. And guess who he theorized could be a trading partner for the Knights......none other than YOUR Pittsburgh Penguins.
NOOOOO!!!!!
Not sure why I haven't been getting the flags on this thread for at least a few weeks till now? See a fair amount of chatter! ......more from me tomorrow...not that there is anything particularly thrilling bout that lol...

Ok...late back on this and more on that within seconds...but why JN? I'd be curious as to your feel on it CM? No secret I f'n hate the clown, he's been linked to taking drugs at a problematic pace and type(since verified by my local pals here...and I trust them), and quite frankly he simply isn't as good as he thinks he is imo....

Anyway...gearing up for an early AM departure Saturday for DC...can't wait, both to see the surrounding environs (first time there and always wanted to go) and to get into FedEx on Sunday night! Damn the good guys need to wax these turkeys! I'll be the guy in Gold...the lovely wife in Blue...look for us LOL!!!! LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!!!....I'm now cheering for Euell too...my lungs will be hoarse by the end of the first I imagine!

Have fun in DC, t.....bring us back a BIG win !!!

The idea of Neal back in Pittsburgh doesn't do much for me; but I really wouldn't care if they brought him in as a rental if he helped them beat the Metro in the playoffs. But truthfully, he looks more like someone who a team like Washington or Columbus (or Philly) would bring in to beat the Pens.

Meanwhile t, I don't believe you chimed-in at FA time about the Hunwick signing. Not sure anyone views him as a difference maker, but he's sure penciled in for the Top 6; I;m wondering if he might end up getting paired with Schultz. If he can take a regular shift......and play maybe 16-18 minutes/game, I'd be happy.

What your take on him ??

Have fun in DC, t.....bring us back a BIG win !!!

The idea of Neal back in Pittsburgh doesn't do much for me; but I really wouldn't care if they brought him in as a rental if he helped them beat the Metro in the playoffs. But truthfully, he looks more like someone who a team like Washington or Columbus (or Philly) would bring in to beat the Pens.

Meanwhile t, I don't believe you chimed-in at FA time about the Hunwick signing. Not sure anyone views him as a difference maker, but he's sure penciled in for the Top 6; I;m wondering if he might end up getting paired with Schultz. If he can take a regular shift......and play maybe 16-18 minutes/game, I'd be happy.

What your take on him ??
The book I got on him here, and take it with a grain or 2 of salt is...'a good 5-6 who can get the job done in that role. Move him to 3-4 and you'll be cursing him at least once or twice a game.'....as you know salt is required for digestion of Leaves fan drivel. The irony in them evaluating or even mentioning defence is really quite something to behold!

Something I realized last night while packing my Root Sports Pens backpack....it may not be cHokie fans I need to worry about lol....those Craps fans may have significant butthurt aimed in my direction! [roll]

Something I realized last night while packing my Root Sports Pens backpack....it may not be cHokie fans I need to worry about lol....those Craps fans may have significant butthurt aimed in my direction! [roll]

Funny you mention that.....I heard/read a discussion (don't remember where) on the Craps' local popularity at some point last season. While Greater DC is obviously (and easily) big enough to regularly fill the Capital One (aka Verizon) Center, the perspective I heard/read at the time was that the Craps are some distance down the DC sports food chain......certainly from the Redskins (who I think essentially own the town), and I presume from the Nats.

Which, if true, would seem to imply few at the game would be affected by your backpack. BTW, I have absolutely no clue (and don't care) where the Craps stand versus the Wizards, but they averaged 100% of capacity (18,506) while the Wiz averaged 83.8% (17,002). For the record, the Wiz had a good 2016/17 (49-33, 1st in the Southeast Division, and 4th in the East).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT