ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- Summer 2017

Toronto you asked me awhile back if there was dissatisfaction at the gate of avalanche games. They are running a special this season were you can get 2 tickets in the upper sections behind the goal were the avs shoot once for $1000 bucks. It shows how much disapproval there is of late about the product they have put out. When the avs 1st came to town they sold out every game for 10 years straight and now they are selling 2 seasons tickets for a grand. How times have changed. The predators success this season has made me want to get back in the game in some capacity. I was thinking of getting a partial season ticket package or maybe a 10 game plan. I will be meeting with the avalanche reps at the beginning of August. I will be leaving on the 10th for Hawaii. 3 weeks of R and R.
Hawaii for 3 weeks!?! Well...ALRIGHT! Let me know what you thought of the pitch ...seriously. No question there is talent up front, although it doesn't seem to be gelling that well from my eyes way out East here in the limited amount I have seen them. I honestly hope this mgmt group can re-capture the fanbase for the coming season. Imo it is a good hockey market...I have wondered ...were the fans spoiled too early with the move of a very solid team early on, only to suffer at length the last number of years? Although the suffering was also there with the Rockies all those years ago too...I am one who is prepared to suffer for greatness for a certain length of time (perhaps I should say competitiveness...The Pens have also had a certain element of luck too over the years), those days between the second cup and the third one were damned lean, and frustrating to be certain. The key is a management team to warrant faith. Haven't seen that last few in Colo but , perhaps the time is neigh...I would think Joe better figure it out soon or it's trouble. I do in the be all and end all hope you buy in, in some capacity truthfully...the game with all of it's warts is still so fun to go watch live...no matter who's playing.
Now you have Ukelele's sounding in my head too...and it's nice there I bet. Enjoy the time in paradise...on my bucket list!

Some updates surrounding the Tocchet departure.....

• He reportedly was offered the 'Yotes job some time ago; maybe a few weeks. Whether he held off solely because of the Cup (and its aftermath) or some simple reservations on actually taking the job, he obviously made the final decision to go.
  • I saw this in other non-Pittsburgh outlets in the past week, but Ron Cook from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette is now throwing around the local notion that Kessel in fact is a candidate to be shopped......this taking more credence with with Tocchet now in Phoenix. He brings up the notion that pretty much everyone in the organization was disappointed as to how he fell off the earth late in the playoffs (the game winner against Ottawa being a notable exception), and also that he's got zero (Cook's term) chemistry with Crosby. Not sure if that means on the ice, off the ice, or both.
  • However, the main aspect of this talk is that Kessel was apparently on record previously as saying Tocchet was the best assistant coach for whom he's even played. They've evidently become pretty close personally, and PK's theoretical move to Phoenix could therefore be in the best interests of everyone involved. There don't appear to be any ideas thus far on a proposed return to the Pens, and I'm not sure I myself would bet on this given Kessel's reputation and cap number. But it doesn't sound like any secret Tocchet was the guy who kept HCMS away from Kessel's throat this year.
  • I thinking Kessel isn't viewed as an especially attractive trade candidate to too many other teams; but given the right circumstances, it wouldn't surprise me at all......and I don't think to too many others......if the Pens pulled the trigger. If I were making a bet, however, I'd put my money on him playing next season for the Pens (though things could obviously change behind the scenes quickly if both Kessel and Tocchet decide they really want to be together).

Some updates surrounding the Tocchet departure.....

• He reportedly was offered the 'Yotes job some time ago; maybe a few weeks. Whether he held off solely because of the Cup (and its aftermath) or some simple reservations on actually taking the job, he obviously made the final decision to go.
  • I saw this in other non-Pittsburgh outlets in the past week, but Ron Cook from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette is now throwing around the local notion that Kessel in fact is a candidate to be shopped......this taking more credence with with Tocchet now in Phoenix. He brings up the notion that pretty much everyone in the organization was disappointed as to how he fell off the earth late in the playoffs (the game winner against Ottawa being a notable exception), and also that he's got zero (Cook's term) chemistry with Crosby. Not sure if that means on the ice, off the ice, or both.
  • However, the main aspect of this talk is that Kessel was apparently on record previously as saying Tocchet was the best assistant coach for whom he's even played. They've evidently become pretty close personally, and PK's theoretical move to Phoenix could therefore be in the best interests of everyone involved. There don't appear to be any ideas thus far on a proposed return to the Pens, and I'm not sure I myself would bet on this given Kessel's reputation and cap number. But it doesn't sound like any secret Tocchet was the guy who kept HCMS away from Kessel's throat this year.
  • I thinking Kessel isn't viewed as an especially attractive trade candidate to too many other teams; but given the right circumstances, it wouldn't surprise me at all......and I don't think to too many others......if the Pens pulled the trigger. If I were making a bet, however, I'd put my money on him playing next season for the Pens (though things could obviously change behind the scenes quickly if both Kessel and Tocchet decide they really want to be together).
Just finished that brief Cook article...Interesting development...or I guess possible development. If they are going to deal him perhaps now is the time? Phil seems to really have a shelf life wherever he lands doesn't he...I knew of his attachment to Tocchet but didn't know or suppose it was that in depth. There is no doubt in my mind his value in winning that 4th cup...the 5th? Yes the goal vs Ottawa was key, but really not much else as Cook alludes to...is Phoenix one of the World Poker tour stops? I hear he is quite good in that dept lol...close enough to Vegas anyway I guess...what do we all think the Pens get or perhaps give up (gulp) in a trade?

Just finished that brief Cook article...Interesting development...or I guess possible development. If they are going to deal him perhaps now is the time? Phil seems to really have a shelf life wherever he lands doesn't he...I knew of his attachment to Tocchet but didn't know or suppose it was that in depth. There is no doubt in my mind his value in winning that 4th cup...the 5th? Yes the goal vs Ottawa was key, but really not much else as Cook alludes to...is Phoenix one of the World Poker tour stops? I hear he is quite good in that dept lol...close enough to Vegas anyway I guess...what do we all think the Pens get or perhaps give up (gulp) in a trade?

I didn't know about it either; in fact, I'd characterize the news as surprising in the extreme. Perhaps those who follow the team in Pitttsburgh/Western PA have known this all along (perhaps through discussions on talk radio), but I haven't read a single word about it in any Pittsburgh rag (or on DK's site) before now.

I also never knew Phil liked cards......meanwhile, it's damned tough to come up with a player/package for Kessel. Arizona has all kinds of cap space, but it's not like they're going to give up Max Domi. Just throwing out a couple names for shits and giggles......and in a move to level out Arizona's cap hit somewhat.......what about Kessel for Alex Gologoski or Derek Stepan ???

Strictly speaking, the Pens could use either player.....meanwhile, DK is reporting today that Jordan Staal is said to be interested in the idea of returning to Pittsburgh. This "news" is said to be courtesy of his good buddy, Tyler Kennedy. Guess we'll see if GMJR is interested in paying a 3rd line center $6 million/season; we'll also have to see what Ronnie Francis wants in exchange.

Reactions: torontoeers
Not sure if everyone caught that the Pens re-upped Derrick Pouliot for a year at $800K (and also Josh Archibald for 2 years at $600K/season). I myself didn't at all expect DP to re-sign with the team; perhaps it's simply indicative of the level of interest other teams had......though he might well have been an RFA's which would obviously have limited his flexibility.

Regardless, what probably surprises me most is DP's new contract is one-way, which (I guess) means he can't be sent to the minors......or at least be sent there at a lower salary. In any event, that would seem to indicate he's going to be given every possible opportunity to make the team next season.

I finally read the PG's Jason Mackey's piece on what GMJR said on Pittsburgh radio the other day regarding what he's got to spend for #3 center. He reportedly said he expected to spend $2 million; essentially exactly what he was paying Bonino the past 2 seasons.

Supposedly, he's got $10.38 million available right now. Regarding his RFA's, Sheary is believed to be in line for $3.8 million/season which (to me) still sounds crazy high. OTOH, the same analysts believe Dumoulin is looking at $2.6 million/season, which sounds low to me given the number to which Schultz just agreed (along with how much he was depended upon). But perhaps his no-offense/pure defense game will cost him more than I expected.

Then, assuming GMJR is saving $1 million for Matt Cullen......which I'm not sure I'd agree to if I were Cullen.....plus a little cap buffer......that leaves Rutherford about $2.0 million for the #3 center, which obviously isn't going to earn him Duchene, Staal, or any other candidate we (as a fan base) can probably get very excited about.

Hey t, what's your take on the latest from GTA regarding a Maatta for Tyler Bozak deal ??

Hey t, what's your take on the latest from GTA regarding a Maatta for Tyler Bozak deal ??
Hmmm....a few things on this...makes sense now that one of my Leaves buddies was inquiring on Maatta. First I will say it makes me a bit stand offish as they seem to be all for it, but hey WTF DO THEY KNOW? Second...I assume the 'goal' is to re-unite PK with Bozo, this is how I currently refer to him (understandable imo)....third I have ALWAYS found Bozo to be overrated. Fourth can the good guys really afford to trade Maatta at this point? IMO this team is really quite a bit weaker on the back end, with Daley's , and to an extent Hainsey's departure with Hunwick as the answer? That 3 for 3 on Daley still angers me a bit, surely they could have matched that...who knows maybe he himself elected for a different avenue period. Fifth...I have heard here or there that in their last year together PK and Bozo had quite the falling out and no longer are 'best buds'....Sixth, their salaries and cap hits are quite similar, and at that price I would certainly take a decent 3/4 D at 22 yo with a few warts over a 3rd and god forbid 4th line C ...GMJR, work that blower overtime in getting Cullen on board for one more go!
Sorry for the novel...I could likely add a seventh chapter lol...

Reactions: COOL MAN
I heard today on NHLN Radio that Cullen has supposedly told GMJR that if he plays in 2017/18, it'll be with the Pens.

I heard today on NHLN Radio that Cullen has supposedly told GMJR that if he plays in 2017/18, it'll be with the Pens.
Curious CM...would you rather the scenario of hangin in with Maatta, thus imo keeping a capable D man, Cullen re-sign , and avoiding this trade altogether? This is my preference, as I/we know this parade isn't going to last forever...god willing win or at least compete for a 3rd in a row and thus an undeniable dynasty imo, is much more probable with a solid D core....given Letang comes back gangbusters....

Curious CM...would you rather the scenario of hangin in with Maatta, thus imo keeping a capable D man, Cullen re-sign , and avoiding this trade altogether? This is my preference, as I/we know this parade isn't going to last forever...god willing win or at least compete for a 3rd in a row and thus an undeniable dynasty imo, is much more probable with a solid D core....given Letang comes back gangbusters....

Everyone keeps saying how bad the Pens need a 3rd line C, but I worry the team isn't deep enough at defense to give up Maatta. I don't care terribly if they do trade him, but admit I'm not dying to see him go. I have a feeling he'll be a better, more consistent defenseman in 2017/18.

Have you guys heard/read any of the early pre-season assessments on the upcoming season from the hacks ?? While most reluctantly acknowledge the 2-time defending SCC's, far more time is spent fawning over the Fleury, Bonino, and Daley losses (Hanisey and Kunitz not so much).....and especially, Tocchet leaving town.

Not sure I've ever heard so much discussion in my life on the impact of an assistant leaving a team; of course, seldom is it reported.....well, at least beginning about 3 weeks ago, while I never heard anything about it before......how much a given player relied on an assistant. As for the others, the media has spent the last 5 years making fun of Fleury, and the most we've heard about Bonino this year was when Grapes went ballistic after his sold penalty in the playoffs. And of course, Daley is all of a sudden going to be a key to the Dead Wings resurgence.

Meanwhile, even though they've done nothing the last 2 seasons......and after losing their 2nd best defensemen and their best goaltender......the hacks are right back in there selling the Black Hawks as the greatest thing since sliced bread. New season, same old script.......

Have you guys heard/read any of the early pre-season assessments on the upcoming season from the hacks ?? While most reluctantly acknowledge the 2-time defending SCC's, far more time is spent fawning over the Fleury, Bonino, and Daley losses (Hanisey and Kunitz not so much).....and especially, Tocchet leaving town.

Not sure I've ever heard so much discussion in my life on the impact of an assistant leaving a team; of course, seldom is it reported.....well, at least beginning about 3 weeks ago, while I never heard anything about it before......how much a given player relied on an assistant. As for the others, the media has spent the last 5 years making fun of Fleury, and the most we've heard about Bonino this year was when Grapes went ballistic after his sold penalty in the playoffs. And of course, Daley is all of a sudden going to be a key to the Dead Wings resurgence.

Meanwhile, even though they've done nothing the last 2 seasons......and after losing their 2nd best defensemen and their best goaltender......the hacks are right back in there selling the Black Hawks as the greatest thing since sliced bread. New season, same old script.......
I have been hearing the same inane chatter about the Hawks Lol! Not to mention an awful lot on the Oil...ok they're young and quick, but really? What has this group ever won together? It's still early yet, let them get to a final minimum before they are annointed as juggernauts please....and talk of THE CHAMPS? Very little other than the Crosby parade with Cup in Halifax on his 30th Birthday/ Halifax day which I admit I quite enjoy :smiley:....actually wish I could go to see that truthfully...my fave city, well outside of The Burgh of course :wink:
https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/sidney-crosby-an-intimate-portrait-native-son/c-290453626

Elliotte Friedman is reporting on Twitter the Pens are offering Brian Dumoulin $1.95 million, and the Dumoulin camp is asking for $4.35 million.

Elliotte Friedman is reporting on Twitter the Pens are offering Brian Dumoulin $1.95 million, and the Dumoulin camp is asking for $4.35 million.
https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/brian-dumoulin-resigns/c-290481986
Well this number seems a lot closer to the Dumo camp one but....I'm not overly opposed to it. He has been a fairly integral part over the last 2 seasons and puts up pretty good numbers for a big D man. I'd ideally like to see him slotted in at 3/4 and perhaps occasionally with Letang, but then who skates with Kris on a regular basis? Maatta? Hmmm....happy to have it resolved regardless. Welcome back Dumo!

Been tied up this morning......and didn't have NHLN Radio playing on the computer......so thanks to t for that good news about Dumoulin.

I agree the AAV for the deal sounds on the high side.....to me, something on the order of perhaps a half-million/season.....but it's likely not an out-of-line number over the course of the next 6 years. That's especially true if 1) he continues his generally upward early-career trend over the first couple years of the deal......2) the salary cap remains firm or increases......and 3) he remains healthy.

While he's in no danger of morphing into a Karlsson or Letang type, my gut feeling his currently low offensive numbers may trend upward. I suspect midway through this deal he could end up a 25-30 point guy, especially if he becomes Letang's full-time partner on the top pairing (assuming, of course, Letang shakes his injury woes). Speaking of injury woes, he thus far seems to be fairly durable, having played 79 games in 15/16 before falling back to 70 games this past season. But he also seems to be the kind of guy......if this year's playoffs are any indication.....who tries his best to get back in the lineup after missing games due to injury.

Still, this looks like a pretty favorable deal for the player; but there's really little reason for most any current Pens' free agent to give the team any appreciable hometown discount with 2 rings already in hand. So, now we see what happens with Sheary..

DK is reporting that Dumouln played the Finals with a broken hand. It also sounds like the Pens arbitration offer was little more than a basic requirement, and GMJR had every intention of negotiating a long-term deal with Dumo from the get-go.

It does not currently sound as though GMJR is anywhere near as committed to Sheary as he was to Dumoulin. If Sheary is indeed looking for the $3-4 million the Web hacks are talking about, I myself get the impression the parties will go to arbitration. Since so few arbitration cases go all the way to the hearing, I myself think Sheary will ultimately agree to a 1 year deal largely at the Pens' number, and roll the dice he has a good 2016/17.

I also don't believe....when everything comes out in the wash......CS wants an arbirator to hear the Pens argue all his stats are the sole result of playing with Sid. But to me, Sheary is looking less and less like a long-term Penguin.

As is the case for any team who wins a Cup, there are a legion of exciting plays.

But, considering the way this year's Finals went.....especially in light of all the fawning over everything Nashville from pretty much every corner of the friggin' universe.....I'm not altogether sure this wasn't the single most exciting play personally for me the entire series. Not because it was criitical.....it most certainly was not.....and not that it was a spectacular play.....again, it wasn't.

But what it did was give a guy.....who most, if not all, of us generally like.....who had a pretty rough playoff a chance to remind people at a fairly key moment exactly what he's all about. And the fact he did it while leaving the League's biggest grandstander in the dust made it all the more satisfying for yours truly.

http://www.nhltv.net/video/carl-hagelin-scores-an-empty-net-goal-to/L9QmzB6bSD0+cFMHMlf93FY

Sheary signs $9 million for 3 years.....my guess is that CS's camp moved more than GMJR. On balance, I figure the AAV probably offsets a bit of the number Dumoulin received, and keeps CS on Sid's line (where he was smart enough to realize is a pretty good place for him to be).

IMO, a reasonably fair deal for both sides.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT