ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- Summer 2017

The NHL out to be ashamed of that awards show. Horrible. Can't they afford to pay for a real host and joke writers that actually have a little bit of a resume? And how does Sully finish 8th in the Admas voting? GMJR finished 6Th for GM of the year....his masterful use of the salary cap allowed for the repeat. Incredible they finished so low.

From what I'm reading, Schultzie may be able to command a new deal of $5 million+ per season. I was originally thinking the team might have something more like $4 million in mind. Regardless, this guy should (IMO) shoot for the biggest deal he can get after the one he voluntarily signed this past season. He bet on himself, and ended up on the fringe of Norris Trophy talk.....can't roll sevens much better than that, or at a better time.

As for Dumoulin, it's said he may be looking for a new annual deal in the $4 million+ range. I'm personally not sure he's worth THAT much, but I do believe the two parties WILL eventually get together. I don't think he wants to go anywhere, but it doesn't seem too likely the 4 years $12 million I was previously thinking about will be very close. But man, $4 million+ a year sounds like a lot of kash for a virtually pure stay-at-home type.

Probably the biggest problem the Pens have (as an organization) with resigning their FA's is why should a guy take a hometown discount after having already been delivered as many as two rings ?? Meanwhile, be aware the Pens have no picks tonight in the 2nd (traded for Ron Hainsey) or 4th (traded with Eric Fehr) rounds, but have an extra 5th (for Mike Condon).

Team is generally considered to be in need of centers and defensemen (but not wingers nor goaltenders).

The NHL out to be ashamed of that awards show. Horrible. Can't they afford to pay for a real host and joke writers that actually have a little bit of a resume? And how does Sully finish 8th in the Admas voting? GMJR finished 6Th for GM of the year....his masterful use of the salary cap allowed for the repeat. Incredible they finished so low.

I didn't watch the other night, but every other one I've seen has been borderline painful to watch.

The League tries so damned hard to align the production with the fact it's in Las Vegas, but it simply can't turn a bunch of generally unfunny people.....most of whom are uncomfortable on stage to being with, and adding the fact they're all before a live audience....into comedians using cue cards/teleprompters. I know the League gets a lot of self-generated mileage out of the Las Vegas setting, but I think they horribly overstate the value the city and venue delivers to the affair itself beyond the actual attendees.

I myself think the League should just rotate the damned thing between local theatres in Montreal and Toronto (and maybe Vancouver) and shit-can the uber-hokey Vegas production once and for all. Meanwhile, the awards themselves are just the latest display of the disdain the Penguins have among the League's media snobs.

One more thing; all this talk about McPhee holding teams hostage in the Expansion Draft is some of the biggest malarkey I've ever heard. He never held a gun to anyone's head; he simply took advantage of a situation presented to him where those GM's were willing to deal.

The notion he should have agreed to take (for example) a Mark-Andre Fleury simply because the Pens, in essence, made him available is downright silly. Why he should do that without some form of incentive is something nobody can rationally explain. For me, I'm way more PO'd (in this case) at GMJR for agreeing to delay the pick for 4 drafts.....when that 2020 2nd rounder might be far more important to a declining Pens team than it might be in 2017 or 2018.

Meanwhile, if some of those GM's decide in the future they don't want to deal with McPhee because he insisted on compensation, that's entirely their decision.

I didn't watch the other night, but every other one I've seen has been borderline painful to watch.

The League tries so damned hard to align the production with the fact it's in Las Vegas, but it simply can't turn a bunch of generally unfunny people.....most of whom are uncomfortable on stage to being with, and adding the fact they're all before a live audience....into comedians using cue cards/teleprompters. I know the League gets a lot of self-generated mileage out of the Las Vegas setting, but I think they horribly overstate the value the city and venue delivers to the affair itself beyond the actual attendees.

I myself think the League should just rotate the damned thing between local theatres in Montreal and Toronto (and maybe Vancouver) and shit-can the uber-hokey Vegas production once and for all. Meanwhile, the awards themselves are just the latest display of the disdain the Penguins have among the League's media snobs.
I was covering my eyes and rubbing my forehead for the first hour and half then finally decided to say...enough of this junk, it's embarrassing...what did you guys think of those jerseys? The logo is neither here nor there for me, I do like the colour scheme except ruining it with that red stripe on the arm...what the hell is it even there for? Looks like it was just slapped on their cause they were bored...Awful IMO...

I don't think much of the Knights' unis either; I myself don't like the shade of grey.....or perhaps it's the texture of the fabric I don't like......and I think the logo is way too small. I doubt anyone can figure out that red stripe. but hey......

Meanwhile, Blojax and Hawks make a big deal today, swapping Brandon Saad for Artemi Panerin (and other pieces). I'm not shocked Columbus moved Saad......as I never got the impression Torts was fond of him.....but I'm really surprised the Hawks are placing so much blame from last season on Panerin (and Hjalmarsson, who got moved to Arizona).

Of course, theyre not going to blame Kane, Toews (though I think he deserves as much as anyone else), and Sharp. And they can't find a taker for Seabrook; and now that Arizona has also taken on that asinine Derek Stepan deal from the Rangers, that may have been the Hawks last chance to flush it.

Meanwhile, some like Saad, some love Panerin.....I myself view it basically as a swap of similar assets for teams (especially Chicago) looking to make some kind of move for movement's sake. I do find myself wondering if Panerin and Bobrovsky are pals.

traded 31st pick to St Louis

remaining picks
round pick overall

..2 .......20 ......51 .....PIT STL-PIT
..3 .......31 ......93 .....PIT
..5 .......28 ......152 ....PIT OTT-PIT
..5 .......31 ......155 ....PIT
..6 .......31 ......186 ....PIT
..7 .......31 ......217 ....PIT

Last edited:
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/pag...ade-2016-17-season-earlier-nhl-trade-deadline

i
2020 2nd-round pick
i
Future considerations

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pittsburgh-penguins-2017-draft-recap/c-290134910

General manager Jim Rutherford's scouting staff added six players to the organization's prospect pool on Saturday, beginning with defenseman Zachary Lauzon.

For the second-straight year, the Penguins chose four defensemen. Over the past two drafts, eight of the 12 players selected by Pittsburgh have been blueliners.

Pittsburgh made Lauzon, who won the Kevin Lowe Trophy as the best defensive defenseman in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, its first pick with the 51st overall selection of the second round.

Lauzon, whose profile can be viewed here, wasn't the only blueliner added to the Pens' stable on the back end. The Penguins also went with a defenseman with their second choice, nabbing American-born Clayton Phillips in the third round (93rd overall). Later, the club added Finn Antti Palojarvi in the sixth round (186th overall) and William Reilly with the final pick of the draft in the seventh round (217th overall).

In Round 5, the Penguins chose a pair of European forwards. Slovenian-born Jan Drozg was selected with the 152nd pick, followed by Swedish native Linus Olund at 155th overall.

Phillips, 17, spent the past season with Fargo in the United States Hockey League. He was named to that circuit's All-Rookie Team after compiling 20 points (7G-13A) in 56 games. Phillips is slated to join the University of Minnesota, where he was recruited by Mike Guentzel, father of the Pens' Jake Guentzel.

A 5-10, 180-pound blueliner, Phillips was ranked 72nd overall among all prospects by The Hockey News, which described him as a "smart, puck-moving D-man made for (the) modern NHL." The Edina, Minnesota native was the 99th-ranked North American prospect by NHL Central Scouting. This year, he suited up for Team USA at both the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament and the World Junior-A Challenge.

Drozg, 18, enjoyed a stellar offensive season in 2016-17 competing for several clubs in Leksand's minor-league system in the Swedish League. In a combined total of 39 games split between three different leagues, he had 22 goals, 32 assists and 54 points.

Drozg, who stands 6-foot, 174 pounds, and hails from Maribor, Slovenia, starred for Slovenia at both the Under-18 and Under-20 World Junior Championships, both of which Slovenia competed in the 'B' division. In the U-18 tournament, Drozg helped Slovenia take gold, winning "Best Forward" and "Top Player on Team" honors after leading the tournament in assists (8), points (13) and faceoff percentage (83.3%).

Back in 2016, Drozg also won "Best Forward" and "Top Player on Team" U-18 WJC 'B' division honors, producing three goals and seven points, with a 71.6% faceoff percentage, in five games. Drozg is the only two-time winner of the "Best Forward" award in the 'B' division of the U-18 WJC.

Olund, 20, was the 57th-ranked European skater this year by NHL Central Scouting. A native of Gavle, Sweden, Olund just finished his second year skating with Brynas in Sweden's top professional league. He had eight goals, 15 points and was plus-9 in 39 regular-season games. Olund broke out offensively in the playoffs, contributing 10 points (6G-4A) in 20 postseason contests, as Brynas finished as the league's runner-up.

During the 2016-17 campaign, Olund also skated in 12 games with Brynas' minor-league club, registering 17 points (8G-9A). Olund served as captain of Brynas' minor-league club in '15-16, where he finished as the team's second-leading scorer with 34 points (18G-16A) despite skating in only 27 contests.

Olund was an alternate captain for Sweden's entry into the 2015 Under-18 World Junior Championship, picking up five assists in five games. That same year, he made his Swedish Hockey League (top league) debut at age 18.

Pittsburgh further enhanced its defensive depth in the sixth round when it chose the 6-foot-1, 176-pound Palojarvi from Kuovola, Finland with the 186th-overall selection. He split the season between minor-league clubs for Lukko of the Finnish League, compiling 14 points (1G-13A) in 52 games. Palojarvi also logged action with Finland's national team throughout the season.

Reilly, 19, brings size to the group of prospects added on defense, as the Toronto, Ontario native stands 6-foot-2, 197 pounds. He just completed his freshman season at RPI of the ECAC, where he had 15 points (2G-13A) and 68 penalty minutes in 35 contests.

Love this deal...essentialy moving down a bit for some pretty serious muscle, who can play, and at 1.25 per.... well done GMJR. And welcome aboard Mr. Reaves!

Me too......

Immediately after the deal was announced, the social media peanut gallery absolutely took GMJR to the woodshed for both bringing in a non-skating load like Reaves, but giving up am almighty #1 PLUS a "great" prospect like Sundqvist. I, obviously, took the entirely opposite view.

Only a rank idiot would deny the extent to which the team needed someone to stand up to the Tom Wilsons and Dion Phaneufs and Mattias Ekholms of the world. And, it's not just Sid who needs the defense; it's their other squirts like Guentzel, Rusty, and Sheary. As for bailing on Sundqvist, he sure never showed me personally he was destined to be anything more than Kuhnhackl-type journeyman.....and I think we already have one of them. Of course, I could end up being wrong about that.

Meanwhile, I think GMJR and his Staff didn't think a whole lot more of the players still available at #31 than he did those who were likely to be available 20-30 picks later. So, why NOT make this kind of move. And while I don't follow the Blues closely, I get the impression Reaves has earned a reputation as pretty close to THE baddest ass in the League. I can't wait until meathead Wilson takes his first run at a black and gold jersey next season.

Is this a landmark deal...... I doubt it. But this is a guy who I personally believe can and will play a VERY effective (and needed) bottom 6 role on a team without.....at least outside cement-head Sestito.....a single similar resource in the entire organization. And on those occasions where Sid needs a bodyguard for a couple shifts, I'll be quite happy to this Robocop on his wing,

Last edited:
Reactions: torontoeers
HHOF nom's today...any names jump off the page to anyone?....I have to say that being the only guy looking in from the outside as a member of the 500/1500 club should finally get Mr. Recchi in? 3 Cups, but only one all star appearance....Al Mo as a career ppg player? Kariya and his stint which was cut short? Maybe not....Alfredsson's first year eligible...Cujo?
IMO the NHL has finally dialed it back the last few years from the 'very good club' to more of the 'great club' which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned...

I'd be curious to know what the rest of you think...who deserves the nod this year?

Reactions: COOL MAN
HHOF nom's today...any names jump off the page to anyone?....I have to say that being the only guy looking in from the outside as a member of the 500/1500 club should finally get Mr. Recchi in? 3 Cups, but only one all star appearance....Al Mo as a career ppg player? Kariya and his stint which was cut short? Maybe not....Alfredsson's first year eligible...Cujo?
IMO the NHL has finally dialed it back the last few years from the 'very good club' to more of the 'great club' which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned...

I'd be curious to know what the rest of you think...who deserves the nod this year?

Hey guys, greetings from Glendale CA.......

The family and I have been traisping around SoCal this past week, and I'm a little behind (probably thankfully to all of you) with my latest on the Pens and the League. BTW, we were coincidentally down at Hollywood and Vine last night for the world premiere of the new Spiderman at the TCL Chinese Theatre. The crowds were such we couldn't see anything.....and I don't know anyone in the flick anyway.....so it really didn't matter we didn't hang around.

Anyway, I was frankly surprised Mark Recchi made HOF; but after double checking his numbers.....#12 all time with 500+ goals, 1500+ points and 3 Cups (as a player)......it's clear his selection was far more straight-forward than I realized. In any event, heartiest congrats to a guy who actually deserved it without much discussion.

Meanwhile, I've been reading accounts that the Pens continue to try and enter the Matt Duchesne derby. I find it hard to believe the Avs can't do better than Olli Maatta, Danny Sprong, and a #1.......but if the Pens can actually make that kind of deal, they ought to do it yesterday. I realize a deal of that geometry creates holes on defense, but I'll take my chances with filling those holes with the 30+ goals Duchesne would presumably add.

Well, we're getting a late start from the hotel today but are headed up to Malibu for the afternoon......if we happen across Kylie or Kendall (or Caitlyn, for that matter) Jenner bee-bopping around town, I'll be sure to send your regards :D

Reactions: torontoeers
Passing thru Denver on the way home to Cincinnati, and just saw some of today's developments. Nothing on DKs site yet on Duchesne to the Pens; but aside that I'd prefer they not give up on Sprong, that'd be a pretty easy deal to make. I agree with DK that $9 million for 3 years wouldn't have been too unreasonable for Daley. Will be curious to see what the Laffy are paying Hainsey.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT