ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- Summer 2017

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
So, with the victory parade now complete, it's time to begin turning our attention toward this incredibly interesting off-season. It's no secret the team is simply unable to remain as static as it did 12 months ago. For the record, here is the team's list of most notable RFA's and UFA's.....

RFA's
  • Josh Archibald
  • Brian Dumoulin
  • Derrick Pouliot
  • Conor Sheary
  • Justin Schultz
  • Oscar Sundqvist
UFA's
  • Nick Bonino
  • Matt Cullen
  • Trevor Daley
  • Cameron Gaunce
  • Ron Hainsey
  • Chris Kunitz
  • Chad Ruhwedel
  • Tom Sestito
  • Mark Streit
  • David Warsofsky
COOL MAN's opinions:
  • No doubt their goal is to re-sign Dumoulin, Sheary, and Schultz
  • Archibald, Sundqvist, and perhaps Gaunce will each return at the team's number (close to the League minimum)
  • The team will consider re-signing Daley, Ruhwedel, Kunitz, and perhaps even Hainsey at their number. I think it equally possible that Daley, Kunitz, and Hainsey (though Ruhwedel, less so) will leave should they decide simply to chase the biggest number, a la Jaromir Jagr.
  • Bonino and Pouliot are gone.....Cullen will retire this time.....and nobody will care about the rest.
  • Meanwhile, I have no clue who will be protected in the expansion draft, nor which RFA's might be targets for Vegas during the exclusive negotiating period.

An interesting deal is being reported this afternoon; Tampa Bay trades Jonathan Drouin plus a conditional 2018 #6 pick to Montreal for defense super-prospect MIkhail Sergachev and a conditional 2018 #2 pick.

Canadiens fans will be uber-pissed at Bergevin's flipping a prospect of Sergachev's promise, but they need goal scoring in a serious way......and we know as well as anyone how Drouin can fill the net. For me, a very interesting deal.

General manager Jim Rutherford was able to successfully enter Pittsburgh in 2014 and create a team that was capable of winning a Stanley Cup championship. Two, in fact. Back-to-back.

As the Cup hype dies down and the off-season begins, the Pens will start discussing changes in the lineup that include a handful of impactful players' contracts being up for discussion and negotiation.

"I just went through this this morning with these guys," Rutherford said. "All of the unrestricted free agents, I have met with them and told them that we are not going to close the door on any of them. With the cap, the way it is, it is tight fitting guys in. We are not going to be able to fit everyone in.

"What I suggested is they get their agent to go to market on July 1 and see what is out there. Then, if they want to come back to the Penguins, come back and say here is what we got. Can you get to that number? Can you get close to that number? Then they can make a decision."

Some of the bigger names on the list include forwards Nick Bonino, Matt Cullen and Chris Kunitz and defensemen Ron Hainsey and Trevor Daley - all unrestricted free agents who have played a huge role on the team over the years.

Bonino:

At 29-years, Bonino is coming off of a three year contact as a UFA and says that he would start meeting with Rutherford after Thursday's locker cleanout."We'll see," Bonino said about what decision would be made for him. "I think it's a little different this year with the expansion draft. There are a lot of scenarios and things going on. I've made it pretty clear that I love Pittsburgh, I love the team here. We'll see if we can get something done."

Bonino, who arrived in Pittsburgh via trade in 2015, has become a staple player on the team. He has scored some big goals - think Game 6 in overtime against Washington in Game 6 of 2016 - and has been integral part of the team's back-to-back Cups.

But as he enters unrestricted free agency for the first time in his career, there are many things he will have to consider.

"You take everything into account, family, team, money. At the end of the day I've never been in a position to choose where I play, which is nice as a player," Bonino said. "For most of our careers we don't have much say in that. The chance to choose is obviously alluring. We have 14 days to see what happens. I really like it here."

Kunitz:

Despite rumors about retirement, this is not it for Kunitz. He feels good on the ice, but in terms of where next he will be next season, he said that he would never want to close the door on any opportunity.

"I don't really know," Kunitz said. "We definitely enjoyed our time, but I would never want to close the door on anything. So, you have to understand what we do as a business. We go out there and see what your interest is in other teams and on this team. It is not all about the dollar amount. It is the situation for some of us who are older, have families, to worry about and schools and how important that stuff is to us. It is something you will know more around July 1."

Kunitz has four Stanley Cups titles on his resume, three with the Pens. He brings valuable experience, grit and tenacity that is a welcomed asset on any team.

"You know what, he's the ultimate teammate for a lot of different reasons," captain Sidney Crosby said about Kunitz. "I think just the way he treats people, the way he handles himself, the way he plays every single night-I think that's no fluke that he's won four Stanley Cups. I think he's another guy that there's some uncertainty there, but trying to think positive that he'll be back. Just a great person and great teammate."

Other changes:

The Penguins would love to have everyone back and keep the group together, but this is the harsh reality of the salary cap era. It is a difficult process each passing season, but something that the team as a whole understands.

"Even though we had a lot of returning players this year, it was a new team," head coach Mike Sullivan said. "Obviously, it is going to be harder for us to keep the semblance of the group that we have this year, but inevitably it is going to be a new challenge once again and we are going to have to find a way when Jim assembles our team, like he will over the next couple of months. We will have to start from Day One of training camp and try to become a team once again."

I would be ecstatic with back-to-back Cups...

Knowing your $$$ would skew someone else from returning...

Cullen knows better...

he's done...

Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury waived the no-movement clause in his contract for the purposes of being exposed in the June 21 expansion draft, according to multiple reports Monday.

Each team is allowed to protect only one goaltender from being selected by the expansion Vegas Golden Knights. If Fleury had not waived, the Penguins would have had to protect him and expose 23-year-old two-time Stanley Cup champion Matt Murray to selection.

Now that Fleury has waived, the situation could play out in a number of ways.

In the simplest scenario, Vegas could select Fleury in the expansion draft.

If Vegas does not choose Fleury, the Penguins could negotiate a trade with another team, as long as the 32-year-old goaltender is agreeable. Fleury still has a limited no-trade clause in his contract, which is not affected by his decision to waive the no-movement clause for the expansion draft.

There's an outside chance Fleury could go unselected by Vegas and stay with the Penguins, though that is unlikely because he has indicated he does not wish to be a backup at this stage of his career. He has two years left on a contract that pays him $5.75 million annually.

Teams have until 5 p.m. Saturday to finalize their protected lists for the expansion draft. Teams may protect seven forwards, three defensemen and a goalie or a combination of eight skaters and a goalie. Protected lists will be released to the public Sunday.

Last edited:
19030455_10209587884519212_6069834273793758403_n.jpg

Carolina has hired Pens goaltending coach Mike Bales to the same position......not sure exactly what that means for the Pens or Bales.

I have to assume the Canes gave him a fairly nice raise; and besides, I'm not sure what he's got left to prove in Pittsburgh. And maybe he likes the idea of mentoring the incoming Scott Darling, who's taking over the Carolina cage next season. It does, however, occur to me Bales might have decided he was done with the Pens once they decided they were done with Flower.

Regardless, he's been replaced by Mike Buckley.....I admit I've never heard of him......who's been the Pens' "goaltending development coach" (whatever that is) the last 4 years. BTW, it's also occurred to me that Murray may not (for whatever reason) be a Bales supporter, and perhaps is more connected (or loyal) to Buckley who he presumably knows pretty well.

Here are a few more interesting (not involving the Pens) pre-expansion Draft tidbits...
  • Ottawa reportedly will protect D Cody Ceci. Along with Erik Karlsson.....and in conjunction with Dion Phaneuf's critical refusal to waive his NMC (as Flower did in Pittsburgh).....the Sens will likely be forced to leave Marc Methot unprotected. They could, of course, make some kind of separate deal; but if not, IMO, Methot represents a pretty nice potential cornerstone for the Knights' D......and that's an equally big loss for Ottawa. I myself would be delighted to get Methot out of the East.....and if the Islanders end up moving Travis Hamonic (as he's rumored to be on their trading block), that'd be yet another tough D-man out of Sid and Geno's hair.
  • The Blojax are reportedly trading their #1 pick this season (#24) and a TBD prospect to Vegas in return for the Knights' agreement to select either Matt Calvert, William Karlsson, or Ryan Murray in the Draft......and not to select C Josh Anderson or G Joonas Korpisalo (or D Jack Johnson or D David Savard) . My guess is Vegas will fairly gladly take Ryan Murray, though I don't think they'd be making a mistake taking Karlsson. Puck Daddy probably said it best in assessing the proposed deal in this manner; Blojax trade a #1, a prospect, and Ryan Murray so the Knights DON'T select Jack Johnson.....what a world.
AMENDMENT: THE KNIGHTS ARE SUPPOSEDLY TAKING DAVID CLARKSON'S CONTRACT AS WELL AS PART OF THE DEAL......
  • Anaheim cuts their losses on the concussion-ravaged Simon Despres by waiving him, which will lead to a buyout. He has 3 years remaining on the 5 year $18 million deal he signed with the Ducks after the deal for Ben Lovejoy (who, incidentally, I believe is expected to be left unprotected by Jersey)

Last edited:
It's official; Bales was losing his stripes as Fleury's guy.....Pens apparently were going to keep him at a lesser position......while Buckley was clearly being elevated, and is being represented as Murray's (and Jarry's) guy. According to DK, there were no problems between Bales and Murray or with the team; just the way the world was turning.

So, that's that.......

Pens have reportedly gone the following 8 skaters/1 goal route for Expansion Draft protection, as I think most ultimately expected:

F - - Sid, Geno, Kessel, Horndog
D - - Letang, Dumoulin, Schultz, Maatta
G - - Murray

The only question now is whether GMJR in fact HAS some kind of agreement with McPhee to take Fleury.......

If I were McPhee, I wouldn't guarantee that without some kind of incentive. For that reason, I myself believe you'll see some kind of deal eventually announced. Meanwhile, Flower's wife has reportedly already gone house shopping in LV.

Draft aside, I'm still worried about Vegas making Conor Sheary a far nicer RFA offer than the Pens have any intention of paying, with a cap number well in excess of $2 million/season.....perhaps as high as $2.5 million. I'd guess GMJR is probably thinking about his new cap number at closer to $1.5 million/season.

IMO, that'd be a deal CS would have a great deal of difficulty turning down, especially with two rings already in hand.

Arguably, a bigger story today than the Protected Lists is news that the Union has evidently agreed to a $2 million escalator to the Cap, establishing it at $75 million for 2017/18. That's good news for everyone in the League......including the Pens......but it's especially good for a team like the Craps, who now have another $2 million this season to sign TJ Oshie.

Well, the Blojax ended up protecting Ryan Murray after all, so that trade I mentioned above may not happen at all. I suspect they're praying the Knights decide to take Jack Johnson off their hands......though Anderson, Calvert,
Karlsson, and Korpisalo are out there unprotected......which I myself think is unlikely.

On NHLN Radio this morning, Calgary Sun-Herald/Sportsnet NHL Reporter Eric Francis was talking about the Flames' acquisition of Mike Smith over the weekend.

He was very pointed at saying Flower would have been a "perfect" fit for the Flames for the 2-year duration of his contract, while their goaltending prospects continued to develop in the minors. However, Francis was very matter-of-fact in reporting that Flower wanted no part of Calgary.....and it's therefore equally clear GMJR (under the circumstances) has no intention to send him anywhere he didn't want to go.

In other words, Calgary simply was never in play for him.....and for whatever reason, he must be amenable to the Vegas idea. I wonder if it's simply because he figures there's no pressure on him to win.

Just reminding everyone that.....without confirmation of a deal between McPhee and GMJR to ensure the Knights select Fleury.....there's no guarantee this actually happens. So, keep your eyes on this as we approach the selections.

Just reminding everyone that.....without confirmation of a deal between McPhee and GMJR to ensure the Knights select Fleury.....there's no guarantee this actually happens. So, keep your eyes on this as we approach the selections.
Just saw this thread CM....and hard to sift through all the Twit hashtag crap on here...anyway...I see McJesus has taken the Hart , fair enough based on regular season stats, however when is this league gonna wake up and realize that a full season and the most important season includes the playoffs, voting should matter in that respect. Burns over Karlsson no matter the stats on even strength goals is an F'n crime imo...Karlsson over the last 2 years has become a complete player all around, his D presence has increased markedly, he is simply the best in the game. Leaves fans are over the moon it seems...apparently they won the Cup! LMAO...the production of this whole event imo was a complete joke. The two hosts were stumbling and bumbling Millard and Kathryn whomever...and Mangewhomever the host was as fun as paint drying, not to mention the comic 'relief' was painful...NHL should be embarassed with the whole shebang...

In closing...THANKS Flower...even though I would every so often yell and scream at you to stay in the bloody net, rather than handle that puck, I truly realize how much you meant to The Burgh and to the Penguins franchise over the years. All the while with class and a great attitude. You WILL be missed in this house on game nights 100%.

One more...has an expansion team ever done so well in terms of actual futures? Numerous draft picks, many of them high ones...I have 2 answers...ZERO competition in terms of another expansion team to compete against makes it pretty damned easy that way, and 500 MILLION DOLLARS....

ADVERTISEMENT