ADVERTISEMENT

Pens December

I give the guys credit in breaking down what has been a very good Blues D thusfar this year. The puck pursuit has been great, and the lazy behind back passes are not happening...

Reactions: COOL MAN
I liked that "It's never I, it's always WE" ad for Mass Mutual......[thumb2][thumb2]

IMO After this one it's clear...enough of the mixed messages. Give Jarry the bulk of the work over next 10/ till Christmas. I want to see a full length stretch from him, before anointing him as a potential or a full time starter. Murr can play in Detroit on Saturday and then right back to Tristan no matter the result. It gives us all a more in depth body of work to look at and it sends the message to 30 that the job is not automatically yours....

Both PHN and DK reporting that Rusty and Schultizie full practiced today, and are considered game time decisions tomorrow night. Meanwhile, it appears that Noesen has been elevated to the 2nd line with McCann and Kahun, while Simon has finally been demoted to the 4th line with Lafferty and Yuk. Pretty bad for Simon when Yuk seems hot by comparison.

DK says Schultzie has missed 7 games......sure seems like more than that.

Reactions: torontoeers
Both PHN and DK reporting that Rusty and Schultizie full practiced today, and are considered game time decisions tomorrow night. Meanwhile, it appears that Noesen has been elevated to the 2nd line with McCann and Kahun, while Simon has finally been demoted to the 4th line with Lafferty and Yuk. Pretty bad for Simon when Yuk seems hot by comparison.

DK says Schultzie has missed 7 games......sure seems like more than that.
It does...he is a solid part of the core, and all I keep hearing is he won't get re-signed because of Cap implications and the play of Marino. This imo was GMJR's best deal, even better than PK ... the guy has really been our horse last few years, and Marino is not the same type D man, he's a bit more free wheeling...I wish there was a way but the more I read he is gonzo, perhaps for the better as he will want term that handcuffs them a year or 2 down the road...

Reactions: Irwineer2
It does...he is a solid part of the core, and all I keep hearing is he won't get re-signed because of Cap implications and the play of Marino. This imo was GMJR's best deal, even better than PK ... the guy has really been our horse last few years, and Marino is not the same type D man, he's a bit more free wheeling...I wish there was a way but the more I read he is gonzo, perhaps for the better as he will want term that handcuffs them a year or 2 down the road...

pens got/are going to get the best hockey of his career out of shultz while he was here. I agree, I share the sentiment that I wish he could somehow stay but on the other hand marino has been/will be good.

Speaking of Schulzie, I distinctly recall read a piece about him earlier......I think......this season where he made it a point to mention how much he likes Pittsburgh, and made noises indicating he was not looking for reasons to leave as a FA. However, I've never read anything else on this subject since; and can't seem to locate the piece.

Did anyone else see that ??

Speaking of Schulzie, I distinctly recall read a piece about him earlier......I think......this season where he made it a point to mention how much he likes Pittsburgh, and made noises indicating he was not looking for reasons to leave as a FA. However, I've never read anything else on this subject since; and can't seem to locate the piece.

Did anyone else see that ??
Did not? Some good news however...he's been activated off IR!

Reactions: Irwineer2
So, what is Justin Schultz worth (meaning salary) as a UFA to the Pens in 2020....or for that matter, to anyone else ??

For the record, his current cap hit is $5.5 million. I myself thought the team overpaid to keep him back in 2017; but it's no secret the team felt they owed him after he resigned on the comparative cheap in 2016 (after which he, more importantly, played well).

Not that my opinion counts, but I don't personally think Schultz has ever re-approached the quality we saw before he signed his current deal.

So, what is Justin Schultz worth (meaning salary) as a UFA to the Pens in 2020....or for that matter, to anyone else ??

For the record, his current cap hit is $5.5 million. I myself thought the team overpaid to keep him back in 2017; but it's no secret the team felt they owed him after he resigned on the comparative cheap in 2016 (after which he, more importantly, played well).

Not that my opinion counts, but I don't personally think Schultz has ever re-approached the quality we saw before he signed his current deal.
Being that he's the kinda D man that quietly gets the job done imo...I don't think I've ever screamed 'Damn you Schultzie' lol like I have at a few others, without looking around I'd still peg him in that 5.5 range? His play has dipped maybe a bit imo, but I'd likely blame it on injuries somewhat. If I have one (albeit very minor) knock on the guy I'd like him to shoot a bit more.
He's the kinda D man that EVERYONE wants on their roster but often overpays for. If we can get him on short term maybe 2 years and same number? I'd certainly take it, no matter how well Marino is doing...you can never have enough quality D men imo. Likely have to jettison more than just JJ to do it though.
Who knows if he really does want to stay, and is comfortable in The Burgh maybe he gives the hometown discount...

Being that he's the kinda D man that quietly gets the job done imo...I don't think I've ever screamed 'Damn you Schultzie' lol like I have at a few others, without looking around I'd still peg him in that 5.5 range? His play has dipped maybe a bit imo, but I'd likely blame it on injuries somewhat. If I have one (albeit very minor) knock on the guy I'd like him to shoot a bit more.
He's the kinda D man that EVERYONE wants on their roster but often overpays for. If we can get him on short term maybe 2 years and same number? I'd certainly take it, no matter how well Marino is doing...you can never have enough quality D men imo. Likely have to jettison more than just JJ to do it though.
Who knows if he really does want to stay, and is comfortable in The Burgh maybe he gives the hometown discount...

For the record, he's still only 29.....which means somebody could probably justify offering him 4-5 years if they though he was the right guy. And he just might be able to squeeze $7 million/season from somebody with cap space, even though I myself would consider that a major overpay. OTOH, that might not be the case if someone viewed him as a legitmate #1.

I'm with you, t; I'd be in favor of re-signing him for $16-18 milllion for (maybe) 3 years max......which I personally don't think he'd accept unless nobody else is in the derby. But if he's looking for something on the order of 5 years (or more)....and we all know term becomes more important for players once they reach 30......it's hard not to envision that he'll have to get that somewhere else like, say, his hometown Canucks.

According to DK, Jarry, Rusty, and Schultz all in the lineup tonight.....and PHN says JJ will likely dress as well. Meanwhile, Trotman has been sent to WB/S.

If you didn't know, Phat scored 2 in Philly last night (including one ENG).....let's hope that wasn't/isn't the beginning of the inevitable hot streak he's destined to have at some point.

For the record, he's still only 29.....which means somebody could probably justify offering him 4-5 years if they though he was the right guy. And he just might be able to squeeze $7 million/season from somebody with cap space, even though I myself would consider that a major overpay. OTOH, that might not be the case if someone viewed him as a legitmate #1.

I'm with you, t; I'd be in favor of re-signing him for $16-18 milllion for (maybe) 3 years max......which I personally don't think he'd accept unless nobody else is in the derby. But if he's looking for something on the order of 5 years (or more)....and we all know term becomes more important for players once they reach 30......it's hard not to envision that he'll have to get that somewhere else like, say, his hometown Canucks.
I would bet those Canucks would be hot on his trail if he goes F/A.

That was well done for PK...he liked it quite a bit you could tell. Caught me in the feels there a bit too lol...Through whatever happened afterward he helped bring 2 Cups. Grateful for that. [thumb2]

Been hearing all season how well the Yotes skate......could definitely see it that period, where I thought they had the better of the play.

Game remains pretty even.....would like to think the Guins have the advantage with the Yotes in the second night of the back-to-back, but Raanta is clearly capable of winning the game himself (even though Kuemper is better yet).

Hey t, I presume you've seen this......but if not, for last week (I think) in the O:

1ST STAR: TY DELLANDREA (FLINT FIREBIRDS) – 3G, 1A
Ty Dellandrea’s four-point night and third career hat-trick guided the Firebirds to a dominant 5-2 performance in Barrie. Dellandrea, who was drafted by the Dallas Stars 13th overall in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft, scored twice in the first period to lift his team to a 3-0 lead. The 6-foot-1 centreman completed the hat-trick with just a minute and a half to go in the game, scoring the Firebirds’ fifth goal on the night. In his fourth year with the Firebirds, Dellandrea currently sits second in team scoring with 30 points (14-16-30) so far on the year. He’ll be attending Hockey Canada’s National Junior Team Selection Camp next week.

Hey t, I presume you've seen this......but if not, for last week (I think) in the O:

1ST STAR: TY DELLANDREA (FLINT FIREBIRDS) – 3G, 1A
Ty Dellandrea’s four-point night and third career hat-trick guided the Firebirds to a dominant 5-2 performance in Barrie. Dellandrea, who was drafted by the Dallas Stars 13th overall in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft, scored twice in the first period to lift his team to a 3-0 lead. The 6-foot-1 centreman completed the hat-trick with just a minute and a half to go in the game, scoring the Firebirds’ fifth goal on the night. In his fourth year with the Firebirds, Dellandrea currently sits second in team scoring with 30 points (14-16-30) so far on the year. He’ll be attending Hockey Canada’s National Junior Team Selection Camp next week.
I didn't...its really quite something how the Firebirds did a complete 180 from 2 years ago... all the BS with the owner forcing to play his kid, players demanding trade etc....complete turnaround.

Any of you lugheads done the trip to Stillwater? We are looking at doing it (guys road trip) next year... The Stadium is one I've always been interested in seeing. Looks like not a bad seat in the house....do a Stars game maybe the other Cowboys as well if at home while down in the area....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT