ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- 2020 Off-season

So we got a poor man's Bjugstad today... at least it's only for one year, Rod is back, well I guess that is ok, and some guy.... then I saw his (GMJR) reported line combos....a whopping 3 natural C's on the 3rd line and Tanev relegated to 4th line because he works too hard I guess at 3.5 mil? You all following yet? Any of you alive? The ONLY saving grace is the rest of Metro either stood pat or went laterally....any of them land a big fish look out. Imo we struggle to make a playoff position. He should have torn it down and ripped it to shreds instead of the bullshit jammed down our throats, he is obtuse to what stares him in the face. Sold a bill of goods that some of us knew was a total load....fire this man. He actually thinks what we all watched last 3 years can turn into chicken salad, same country club running the show....he was fired in Carolina....fire him again, oh no wait...shoulda fired him before the draft. Damn

Last edited:
One more...apparently there is chatter amongst the Yinzer idiot brigade that Gruden is the next Horney....ignore that notion if you know what is good for you... He is far from that level.....unless you want to swallow the koolaid.....must be tasty stuff.

I'll go ahead and put this out there.

matt murray was boned by the fans of this franchise. the guy wins two cups and in return most of this franchise's fans sided with the loser who gave up his job in the first place. I bet murray plays well in ottawa. once fluery left and he stayed he never stood a chance. every mistake was magnified. such crap from dipsh!ts.

Reactions: torontoeers
I'll go ahead and put this out there.

matt murray was boned by the fans of this franchise. the guy wins two cups and in return most of this franchise's fans sided with the loser who gave up his job in the first place. I bet murray plays well in ottawa. once fluery left and he stayed he never stood a chance. every mistake was magnified. such crap from dipsh!ts.
Well....hallafreakinlujah....

Was vacationing last week; got home fairly late last evening. From a distance, the Draft and FA looked to me like much ado about nothing......which was about all that could have happened.

They stocked up on bodies.....especially in goal (though the draftees may never make it to NA, let alone Pittsburgh).....which I believe they needed, and little more. I wasn't enthused with the Murray deal, but felt it was about the best they could have done given the marketplace (and I also thought he signed a deal with Ottawa worth a good 20% more than he deserved). For yours truly, little happened to get too excited or PO'd about......the team remains in relatively clear decline, but I'm also not going to quit rooting for them simply because I'm not happy with the GM.

Meanwhile......and this is something which has been bugging me for awhile.......for all our joint bitching about Rutherford, am I the only one who figures he's never made a single move in Pittsburgh without first getting Mario's blessing ??

Was vacationing last week; got home fairly late last evening. From a distance, the Draft and FA looked to me like much ado about nothing......which was about all that could have happened.

They stocked up on bodies.....especially in goal (though the draftees may never make it to NA, let alone Pittsburgh).....which I believe they needed, and little more. I wasn't enthused with the Murray deal, but felt it was about the best they could have done given the marketplace (and I also thought he signed a deal with Ottawa worth a good 20% more than he deserved). For yours truly, little happened to get too excited or PO'd about......the team remains in relatively clear decline, but I'm also not going to quit rooting for them simply because I'm not happy with the GM.

Meanwhile......and this is something which has been bugging me for awhile.......for all our joint bitching about Rutherford, am I the only one who figures he's never made a single move in Pittsburgh without first getting Mario's blessing ??

I do agree we got the most we could for Murr. And I’m ecstatic that JJ is gone and sad Horny is gone but I do realize we were over paying and we needed cap space.

What disappoints me is seeing players like Hinostroza and Stecher that could clearly help us and we can clearly afford sign elsewhere. We still lack a net presence and would like another defenseman not to mention a vet backup goalie not named Fleury. All in all I feel we’re a fringe playoff team dependent on our stars staying healthy and producing. Let’s Go Pens!

I do agree we got the most we could for Murr. And I’m ecstatic that JJ is gone and sad Horny is gone but I do realize we were over paying and we needed cap space.

What disappoints me is seeing players like Hinostroza and Stecher that could clearly help us and we can clearly afford sign elsewhere. We still lack a net presence and would like another defenseman not to mention a vet backup goalie not named Fleury. All in all I feel we’re a fringe playoff team dependent on our stars staying healthy and producing. Let’s Go Pens!

I have to wonder about the murray trade, there was reported interest from the hawks in murray and they just traded saad to colorado. have to wonder.

I have to wonder about the murray trade, there was reported interest from the hawks in murray and they just traded saad to colorado. have to wonder.

Yea not sore what the offer was from the Hawks but JR said he took the best deal. Perhaps he didn’t want to take on Saad’s contract although I’m not even sure what his deal is worth.

One guy still out there I’d love to snag is Erik Haula. JR had had interest before so maybe he still does.

Yea not sore what the offer was from the Hawks but JR said he took the best deal. Perhaps he didn’t want to take on Saad’s contract although I’m not even sure what his deal is worth.

One guy still out there I’d love to snag is Erik Haula. JR had had interest before so maybe he still does.

My opinion, only; but if the Pens had any willingness (or ability) to take on Saad's contract.....among the worst in the League, at $6 million AAV.....they could have had him a year ago (though the CBH would likely have held out for a sweeter deal than what Colorado paid them last week). For the record, the Hawks retained $1 million of Saad's current deal (which only has 1 year to go)_

Meanwhile, unless they move another deal (like McCann's), they can't take on another FA deal of any legitmate size (like Haula's)

My opinion, only; but if the Pens had any willingness (or ability) to take on Saad's contract.....among the worst in the League, at $6 million AAV.....they could have had him a year ago (though the CBH would likely have held out for a sweeter deal than what Colorado paid them last week). For the record, the Hawks retained $1 million of Saad's current deal (which only has 1 year to go)_

Meanwhile, unless they move another deal (like McCann's), they can't take on another FA deal of any legitmate size (like Haula's)
Do you feel warm and fuzzy about Casey backing up Jars? I dont in fact.... imo, it is the most glaring error of this FA campaign. Goalies today need the push. There is no push happening. Sad. I'll support the team, but hell man, this is not what I expected when he said he wanted to compete .

Reactions: COOL MAN
Jars will feel the heat right soon from the vultures based on an ill equipped D, and no push to be better. Mark it down. This is based on Yinzer logic....Yinzers are awesome....lol

Do you feel warm and fuzzy about Casey backing up Jars? I dont in fact.... imo, it is the most glaring error of this FA campaign. Goalies today need the push. There is no push happening. Sad. I'll support the team, but hell man, this is not what I expected when he said he wanted to compete .

Actually, I myself honestly don't feel too bad about the current goal situation.....but get back to me in the middle of January with that same question.

I think you make a fair point about the need for goaltenders to be pushed, especially those who are less established. For now, there's clearly no way (at least for us fans) to know how much the competition to beat out Murray was a factor in Jarry's improvement last season. Meanwhile, if Jarry doesn't come out of the gate so well next season, how much will be due to the (sort of) sophomore slump versus the lack of push.

All that said.......and while I'm not sure this is a "prediction"....... I myself would be surprised if GMJR enters next season with Jarry and DeSmith as the only professionals available on (or near) the roster to play legtimate minutes. That is, unless he figures he can actually get something useful from the Lagace kid (which I think would be a fairly dangerous assumption).

Catching up on few things tonight; but if you didn't hear, the Sabres decided NOT to qualify Dominik Kahun, making him a FA. Evidently, the early smart money is for him to either return to Chicago, or else join his good buddy Leon Draisaitl in Edmonton.

Read something else this morning......I was commenting earlier that I thought Ottawa overpaid Murray by at least 20%. Of course, we all know overpayment is the basic rule when the subject is free agency.

But what I didn't realize is that not only does Ottawa have the cap space to afford that deal, they're still $6 million+ under the cap floor. So, they've got plenty more to spend. And that includes Bobby Ryan's new buyout money, plus what's left of Dion Phaneuf's buyout. And they apparently still owe Marian Gaborik $4.875 million in injured reserve money (which I don't believe is part of the cap).

According to Cap Friendly, they're still 7 short of a full 23 man roster.....so they're signing at least that many players pretty much no matter what. The only remaining question, therefore, is who wants their money.

There was a piece last night in The Athletic regarding the upcoming new US TV contract......it said that even with some the League's worst ratings ever, it still gave NBCSN one of it's best ever third-quarters. Apparently, talks are ongoing for the contract which expires after the 2021 season.

Regarding sheer numbers, the Bolts/Stars averaged 2.15 million viewers/game versus the 5.47 million per game for the Blues/Broons last season. Game 6 of the series drew 2.8 million (said to be the lowest viewership in at least 20 years); it also went against the Chiefs/Ravens, which drew 14 million viewers.

Even with all that, an industry analyst predicts the League will get "a nice solid bump in their rights fees" in the new deal. The NHL currently gets $200 million/season from NBC, while the NBA earns $2.7 billion from ESPN, ABC, and Turner (and MLB just re-upped their deal at $3.7 billion).

Supposedly, Gary Bettman has "signaled" the League may split its deal among multiple networks, much like the NFL, MLB, and NBA.....and might include streaming along with cable. The story also says that ESPN, Fox, and Turner are "reportedly interested" in a piece of the deal.

Actually, I myself honestly don't feel too bad about the current goal situation.....but get back to me in the middle of January with that same question.

I think you make a fair point about the need for goaltenders to be pushed, especially those who are less established. For now, there's clearly no way (at least for us fans) to know how much the competition to beat out Murray was a factor in Jarry's improvement last season. Meanwhile, if Jarry doesn't come out of the gate so well next season, how much will be due to the (sort of) sophomore slump versus the lack of push.

All that said.......and while I'm not sure this is a "prediction"....... I myself would be surprised if GMJR enters next season with Jarry and DeSmith as the only professionals available on (or near) the roster to play legtimate minutes. That is, unless he figures he can actually get something useful from the Lagace kid (which I think would be a fairly dangerous assumption).
One more thing that does concern me somewhat about the current combo is....there is little doubt this upcoming schedule will be heavily compressed. Many times with 4 games in 7 nights including travel. Seeing an awful lot of teams going the 1 and 1A route, to both allow for rest and should one go down with injury, you aren't neccesarily dead in the water. Not that I would go to the extreme Vegas route of paying 2 guys over 12 mil....there were guys available that have done the job of taking a sizable load for reasonable term and $ (Talbot, Crawford, Griess?) Those mentioned by my calculations would have put the Pens in the 7 mil range for 2 capable guys, for a few years, reasonable IMO ....can Jarry handle a much larger load under the upcoming schedule? Maybe, but if he either takes a dip play wise, or a slip literally? That is BIG trouble...I guess GMJR didn't have the money to play with, much of which can be layed squarely at his feet over the last few years regardless....I guess we'll see.

Read something else this morning......I was commenting earlier that I thought Ottawa overpaid Murray by at least 20%. Of course, we all know overpayment is the basic rule when the subject is free agency.

But what I didn't realize is that not only does Ottawa have the cap space to afford that deal, they're still $6 million+ under the cap floor. So, they've got plenty more to spend. And that includes Bobby Ryan's new buyout money, plus what's left of Dion Phaneuf's buyout. And they apparently still owe Marian Gaborik $4.875 million in injured reserve money (which I don't believe is part of the cap).

According to Cap Friendly, they're still 7 short of a full 23 man roster.....so they're signing at least that many players pretty much no matter what. The only remaining question, therefore, is who wants their money.
I pegged Murray at about 4 years 5-6 mil. He got just over that so definitely did well that way. One thing I do find curious is they backloaded it, somewhere in the ,4,5.5, 6, 7.5 range if I recall. Seems odd to me rather than front load since they will have numerous players coming due for $$$ in a few years....
They do (fans) however seem happy up there on the whole with what has transpired roster wise....although I did see yesterday Stutz had surgery for a broken arm which has given a few of em a scare...
At start of tenure I would think Murray simply needs to be better than the departing Anderson and backup Hogburg, which shouldn't be that hard imo. Where the pressure will start to mount is in year 2,3 and 4 with several young goalies (one of whom is Pens former pick Gustavsson), breathing down his neck, and a most likely more mature / better hockey team on the whole. He will need to perform at a high level....Should be interesting....

Vegas owner Foley lets it slip today on Lawless radio show when asked if he was concerned about playing Schmidt with Vancouver. 'We won't be playing them this year, so it doesn't matter'....
Looks like this is the plan....the one Cdn division and 3 US ones....

I pegged Murray at about 4 years 5-6 mil. He got just over that so definitely did well that way. One thing I do find curious is they backloaded it, somewhere in the ,4,5.5, 6, 7.5 range if I recall. Seems odd to me rather than front load since they will have numerous players coming due for $$$ in a few years....
They do (fans) however seem happy up there on the whole with what has transpired roster wise....although I did see yesterday Stutz had surgery for a broken arm which has given a few of em a scare...
At start of tenure I would think Murray simply needs to be better than the departing Anderson and backup Hogburg, which shouldn't be that hard imo. Where the pressure will start to mount is in year 2,3 and 4 with several young goalies (one of whom is Pens former pick Gustavsson), breathing down his neck, and a most likely more mature / better hockey team on the whole. He will need to perform at a high level....Should be interesting....

I heard recently that Ottawa is viewed to have something 6 goaltender prospects in their System, so it stands to reason they need a placeholder until some of them are ready to enter the League......which would seem to make the Murray deal sensical if he can successfully turn things around.

But like everyone else, I never truly understood the source of his recent problems. Guess I figured they were mostly (if perhaps not exclusively) between his ears.....though I myself never believed it was about Fleury,......but I'm not sure Ottawa is the best place to straighten that out. But assuming he simply had his fill of Pittsburgh, perhaps anyplace was a better landing spot.

I do worry that, on a young team, he'll be looked at for leadership; and I'm not sure he's got that kind of personality. Anyway, not that it matters......and while I admit I was personally behind the commitment to Jarry......I do hope the kid re-discovers his game in Ottawa.

I heard recently that Ottawa is viewed to have something 6 goaltender prospects in their System, so it stands to reason they need a placeholder until some of them are ready to enter the League......which would seem to make the Murray deal sensical if he can successfully turn things around.

But like everyone else, I never truly understood the source of his recent problems. Guess I figured they were mostly (if perhaps not exclusively) between his ears.....though I myself never believed it was about Fleury,......but I'm not sure Ottawa is the best place to straighten that out. But assuming he simply had his fill of Pittsburgh, perhaps anyplace was a better landing spot.

I do worry that, on a young team, he'll be looked at for leadership; and I'm not sure he's got that kind of personality. Anyway, not that it matters......and while I admit I was personally behind the commitment to Jarry......I do hope the kid re-discovers his game in Ottawa.

not that it excuses his drop in play but how would you feel being in this town (after you were in net for two cup wins) to have fans coming up to you, bitching about fluery being gone. had to affect his game.

matt murray probably hates penguins fans guts and I dont't blame him.

IMO , which is mostly pure conjecture, I'd bet it had to do with a few things... Fleury factor I do think was there, in a few different ways, probably too many to list lol...fanbase love / hate in regards to what transpired was definitely prevalent. In saying that he's a big boy, and has to handle criticism. His father's passing was right around the time his play started to dip, and although I do feel that was overplayed a bit, it probably contributed. Being young and having the world at your feet literally for a few years, then subject to adversity a few years later? Yep a lot of it between the ears I would bet. Especially with the fact that most goaltenders are a bit of a different breed to begin with, somewhat outliers in the dressing room in a lot of cases. What sort of tweaking Pens goaltending staff attempted I really have no idea, nor whether or not he listened to it, or just couldn't bring it to the form they wanted....
As you mention, I do root for him to comeback to form as well. One thing I can say is his wife Christina is a super nice person, always volunteering and willing to assist with our dog rescue and humane society. And hey, she really ain't to shabby looking either now is she... 😍
tumblr_oq8lt1KrUe1wolaqho1_400.jpg

IMO , which is mostly pure conjecture, I'd bet it had to do with a few things... Fleury factor I do think was there, in a few different ways, probably too many to list lol...fanbase love / hate in regards to what transpired was definitely prevalent. In saying that he's a big boy, and has to handle criticism. His father's passing was right around the time his play started to dip, and although I do feel that was overplayed a bit, it probably contributed. Being young and having the world at your feet literally for a few years, then subject to adversity a few years later? Yep a lot of it between the ears I would bet. Especially with the fact that most goaltenders are a bit of a different breed to begin with, somewhat outliers in the dressing room in a lot of cases. What sort of tweaking Pens goaltending staff attempted I really have no idea, nor whether or not he listened to it, or just couldn't bring it to the form they wanted....
As you mention, I do root for him to comeback to form as well. One thing I can say is his wife Christina is a super nice person, always volunteering and willing to assist with our dog rescue and humane society. And hey, she really ain't to shabby looking either now is she... 😍

you know how they pick who plays goalie, right? when all the 5 year old are in the room together for the first time, the coach gives that stuff to the weirdest goofball in the room.

not that it excuses his drop in play but how would you feel being in this town (after you were in net for two cup wins) to have fans coming up to you, bitching about fluery being gone. had to affect his game.

Some ...perhaps quite a few... I think Ottawa fans will give him benefit of doubt to start, but they can easily turn on him as well if by year 2 or 3 of contract he is not playing up to par....they can be a moody little bunch. I think he will sort it just fine there though in the end...

Have you actually met her personally ?? No doubt, she's a sweetie (and I don't mean regarding her love of newfies)......

Have you actually met her personally ?? No doubt, she's a sweetie (and I don't mean regarding her love of newfies)......
Not as of yet, only via email, but I would imagine in near future, as she'll likely be in on a few more transfer/ pick up/ drop off of foster dogs...which we often take part in ourselves encompassing from Western Ontario over to Ottawa area....
Or perhaps not so soon come to think of it ,as I believe they have baby on route in Jan?

i'm not local, so I'm in no position to comment as to how often "fans were coming up to (him), bitching......." . And while he indeed won the 2 Cups, we all know his play dropped off noticably the last few seasons. When that happens, fans will (almost) always be fans.

Regardless, he's entitled to feel anyway he chooses about them; I also distinctly recall thinking particularly after that Sunday afternoon game against the Broons (where he had the lousy first period)......and the fans let him have it.....that his future in Pittsburgh had probably come to an end.

i'm not local, so I'm in no position to comment as to how often "fans were coming up to (him), bitching......." . And while he indeed won the 2 Cups, we all know his play dropped off noticably the last few seasons. When that happens, fans will (almost) always be fans.

Regardless, he's entitled to feel anyway he chooses about them; I also distinctly recall thinking particularly after that Sunday afternoon game against the Broons (where he had the lousy first period)......and the fans let him have it.....that his future in Pittsburgh had probably come to an end.
Yup, that game sure did seem a watershed moment....
I can't speak to the fact of whether people accosted him or not publicly, but I do know one thing... the social media (Twit, FB , Insta) attacks were relentless and numerous, and imo way offside ' Get this piece of trash outta here' would be some of the tamer stuff. Maybe it's just how it is nowadays, but I dont recall such anger directed at athletes/ personalities etc as soon as a decade ago? Either way you've got to develop a thick skin I guess...
In a somewhat related matter, this has me thinking back to a few decades ago. It wasn't social media obviously but the boo birds in the flesh. Larry Murphy, Maple Leaf Gardens...booed mercilessly every damn game, every freakin time he touched the puck! It perplexed me greatly. No rhyme or reason to it... I remember thinking 'Do these lugheads even have a clue who they are booing here?' Just totally bizarre....needless to say he wasn't long in Blue and White before on to greener pastures....
For reference if curious https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl...e-leafs-detroit-red-wings-mike-babcock-trade/

Last edited:
It's hardly a secret that Buffalo has been a train wreck pretty much ever since Terry Pegula bought the team. Whether that's solely his fault or not, I suppose, is open for debate.....but what I myself didn't realize is that since Pegula's first year as owner in 2011 (which was the Sabres's last year in the playoffs), the team has had six head coaches and four GM's.

Jeezus.......

It's hardly a secret that Buffalo has been a train wreck pretty much ever since Terry Pegula bought the team. Whether that's solely his fault or not, I suppose, is open for debate.....but what I myself didn't realize is that since Pegula's first year as owner in 2011 (which was the Sabres's last year in the playoffs), the team has had six head coaches and four GM's.

Jeezus.......
Yup which leads me to believe the Hall 1 year sign is purely for purpose of a stats pad in playing with Eichel. Then test market afterward....but man, seriously, that guy has played with some total loser franchises over his years. Edmonton at the time, Jersey, Zona.... and now why not shuffle off to Buffalo???
In regards to the GM scenario , I think they would have been better served sticking with Botterill, but then what the hell do I know, other than being impressed with his talent evaluations in The Burgh before departing...
The new GM Adams gets glowing reviews as far as work ethic and smarts ,however he has had ZERO experience in management as an assistant. Which kinda shocks me a bit more as to why Hall would sign there....

Looking at Hall's stats for the first time; aside his MVP year with Jersey........which obviously can't be taken away from him......and an 80 point year he had with the Oil back in 13/14.......his best years were 65 points with the Oil in 15/16 and four 50 point years with Edmonton, Jersey (and Jersey/Arizona this past year).

Obviously, that's a pretty solid career for a kid who's yet to turn 30 years old......but that's honestly nowhere near the numbers I myself thought he had.

Looking at Hall's stats for the first time; aside his MVP year with Jersey........which obviously can't be taken away from him......and an 80 point year he had with the Oil back in 13/14.......his best years were 65 points with the Oil in 15/16 and four 50 point years with Edmonton, Jersey (and Jersey/Arizona this past year).

Obviously, that's a pretty solid career for a kid who's yet to turn 30 years old......but that's honestly nowhere near the numbers I myself thought he had.

Indeed his O is hit and miss, his D play for what is thought of as a borderline (imo) star, is what separates him a bit from any other mid range upper echelon player....he seems like one of those guys you'd love to have for an all around hockey player with little to no weakness, but not for 8 mil a season....I'd throw 4 or 5 years at him for 6 per at his age and feel comfortable....maybe that's all his offer really was?

Speaking of the Sens.......3/15 for Dadonov.
Meant to address this in a roundabout way yesterday .... I'm not sure I have seen a team amassing so much young talent in quite a few years. A few Sens pals are rather excited for their future rhyming off names to me within their farm system, not to mention the recent draft picks and trades. I decided to do some digging in their prospects and this teams D COULD end up being an absolute monster to play against in the future. BIG , fast and ugly when you include a few young guys on roster ( obviously Chabot for one). They have quite the mix of big and mid sized, skill up front in pipeline. Add in a few of their acquisitions recent, I see why they are a pretty jacked up fanbase. Of course all this could turn out to be nothing...but on paper? Yikes.
Looking back at how they stockpiled all this future, it seems they raped teams of picks combined with their own. Good decision in retrospect, to dump Karl, and lucky for them him and SJ melting down into oblivion...amongst several other player dumps ....
Other than Vegas recently with expansion, any other comparables out there in cap era you can think of? I'm racking my brain here a bit...Carolina?

In other news The Leaves sign Joe asshat Thornton for one year lmfao! So they have decided on Spezza, Bogosian, Simmonds, and Thornton...essentially NHL 2005! 🤣.... local media currently ripping their mgmt to shreds , awesome theatre....better renovate the medical room stat and invest in a few tubs of bengay....

Meant to address this in a roundabout way yesterday .... I'm not sure I have seen a team amassing so much young talent in quite a few years. A few Sens pals are rather excited for their future rhyming off names to me within their farm system, not to mention the recent draft picks and trades. I decided to do some digging in their prospects and this teams D COULD end up being an absolute monster to play against in the future. BIG , fast and ugly when you include a few young guys on roster ( obviously Chabot for one). They have quite the mix of big and mid sized, skill up front in pipeline. Add in a few of their acquisitions recent, I see why they are a pretty jacked up fanbase. Of course all this could turn out to be nothing...but on paper? Yikes.
Looking back at how they stockpiled all this future, it seems they raped teams of picks combined with their own. Good decision in retrospect, to dump Karl, and lucky for them him and SJ melting down into oblivion...amongst several other player dumps ....
Other than Vegas recently with expansion, any other comparables out there in cap era you can think of? I'm racking my brain here a bit...Carolina?

Assuming their kids develop in the expected manner, then I agree they have a chance to be a reasonably exceptional team. But what you can't discount is Gene's long term impact on whatever his team eventually becomes.....he's got to prove that he won't short-circuit (for whatever reason) what Dorion is building.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT