ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- 2020 Off-season

If he has intention of bringing in another guy with the same toughness and jam, for same number or less I'm fine with it... BUT, I have serious doubt that will happen. This team will get drilled out of the building more often than not next year without some semblance of pushback and force applied to the opposition

In saying that, IF Matheson turns into the better rather than crap version of Schultzie for majority of term, I will happily eat my words

Last edited:
Reactions: COOL MAN
Was looking this up; while I could be convinced I'm wrong, I think the Pens traded Oleksiak back to Dallas for a #4 pick......which they turned around and sent to Florida with other assets (including Brassard, Sheahan, and additional picks) in the Bjugstad/McCann deal.
Not much return on that deal then it seems...ugh.

Kingerski reporting the following this morning:

--No confirm no deny thus far that Horndog has, in fact, waived his NTC
--Supppsedly, reaching Horndog for his approval was an issue for the Pens, as was his insurability for the Panthers
---"Multiple sources" were said to be claiming last night the deal was "off" but not "dead"

I take that last comment to mean the deal, as currently reported, may well not happen.....but perhaps the two sides will continue to work toward something more amenable to all parties.

My opinion only, this sounds like one of those cases where the media's.....and I guess that means Kevin Weekes, who I believe was credited with originally breaking the story.....obsession to break the story became much of the problem.

Of course, that doesn't mean LeBrun or Friedman wouldn't have done the same thing here given the chance (though my own guess is they'd have been less likely to do so). Or not......

Whille I understand Florida's concerns.....in light of their apparently getting burned on the Nathan Horton deal...... about insuring Horndog's contract, I myself wonder what it is about his current physical condition that makes this such an issue.

Is it possible he was injured in the Habs series.......or might a previous injury have been seriously aggravated ???

Reactions: torontoeers
Kingerski reporting the following this morning:

--No confirm no deny thus far that Horndog has, in fact, waived his NTC
--Supppsedly, reaching Horndog for his approval was an issue for the Pens, as was his insurability for the Panthers
---"Multiple sources" were said to be claiming last night the deal was "off" but not "dead"

I take that last comment to mean the deal, as currently reported, may well not happen.....but perhaps the two sides will continue to work toward something more amenable to all parties.

My opinion only, this sounds like one of those cases where the media's.....and I guess that means Kevin Weekes, who I believe was credited with originally breaking the story.....obsession to break the story became much of the problem.

Of course, that doesn't mean LeBrun or Friedman wouldn't have done the same thing here given the chance (though my own guess is they'd have been less likely to do so). Or not......
It's a challenge to keep a lid on things in today's media world most definitely...and these things happen by the minute. However this really strikes me as a bit of amateur hour... Horny doesnt have a cellphone? He was camping in the wilds of Northern Sweden? Now what if the deal is dead? The Pens likely have a rather disgruntled Viking on their hands I would think...

Here’s something fresh, new and exciting never before posted here...

I liked Hags a lot... but was plain to see his play dropping off in his last year in The Burgh. If his mates in the dressing room couldn't see that, then they are blind and I don't know anyone they'd likely listen to. I hear JJ is a really nice fella too, and the team likes him....but, let's hope they can deal him any way possible...it's time for the inmates to quit running the asylum. Of course that will never happen though...

Also re: this deal in limbo...if it doesn't go through? They have just informed every other team in the league their percieved value on Hornqvist. You are now dealing from a decided point of weakness...it's not good imo.

Also re: this deal in limbo...if it doesn't go through? They have just informed every other team in the league their percieved value on Hornqvist. You are now dealing from a decided point of weakness...it's not good imo.

just get his salary off the books.

And take on one (of a guy who is a huge question mark) for 6 years almost 5 mil per? That's bad math if you ask me.... or perhaps you are speaking of dealing him elsewhere for a better return I dunno...

what are you really going to get for him? this is the kind of deal they can make. I like the idea of a guy coming in that's been thought as an underachiever. its worked here before.

Obviously, i often repeat......but essentially never copy/paste......information from Kingerski's site, mostly because of V's rules about people doing so from other subscription sites. But, I'm going to copy the following three paragraphs to provide some perspective on what's supposedly happening behind the scenes.

In other words, communication was an issue but not the insurmountable obstacle (we didn’t report that it was, but we fear some interpreted our Tweet in that way).

Unfortunately, our initial reporting took on a life of its own. By the end of the day, it was being reported that we reported Patric Hornqvist wouldn’t take the Penguins calls on Wednesday. We don’t believe that is true.

Believe me, I have never been a part of or chased a story with so much conflicting information from people on the inside. The players were talking amongst themselves, and they too were wondering what was coming next.

If some reporter......any reporter......decides to go public with a trade before it's finalized, I'm not altogether sure how Rutherford can be blamed for something on which he'd presumably never go public.

All I know is that Kevin Weekes' picture is probably on the wall already at the PPG Paints parking garage attendant's booth with a caption that says "don't admit" (and I like Weekes, so I'm sorry this has come down in this manner).

what are you really going to get for him? this is the kind of deal they can make. I like the idea of a guy coming in that's been thought as an underachiever. its worked here before.
Yes, I agree re: underachiever sometimes you hit lightning in a bottle a la Schultzie, and often ya dont. I hope it works out, if it doesnt this will make the JJ contract look like a steal by comparison... I'd rather the flexibility of future cap space than handcuffs yet again. As you say who knows maybe other teams view Horny as a bigger problem than I realize, but his term is 3 left, still moderately effective, and no trade gets modified for them next year.... plenty of risk here tied to the future. I guess if he's a dud then bury him somewhere a few years down the road....

Yes, I agree re: underachiever sometimes you hit lightning in a bottle a la Schultzie, and often ya dont. I hope it works out, if it doesnt this will make the JJ contract look like a steal by comparison... I'd rather the flexibility of future cap space than handcuffs yet again. As you say who knows maybe other teams view Horny as a bigger problem than I realize, but his term is 3 left, still moderately effective, and no trade gets modified for them next year.... plenty of risk here tied to the future. I guess if he's a dud then bury him somewhere a few years down the road....

hornquist isn't getting any faster.

perhaps the other guy could have straightened his game out and made himself valuable or at least earned his term. perhaps now we will never know.

just get his salary off the books.

I do think he is over paid but we have no one else on the roster that has his particular skill set. If we do end up trading him I hope we can bring in a younger and cheaper version of PH. Lack of grit is why the Pens have failed the past couple of years.

I do think he is over paid but we have no one else on the roster that has his particular skill set. If we do end up trading him I hope we can bring in a younger and cheaper version of PH. Lack of grit is why the Pens have failed the past couple of years.

I'd say it was more of a want to thing...

I'd say it was more of a want to thing...

Yea lack of wanting to make the sacrifices necessary to winning a cup. I think the Pens were too happy with what they had already accomplished and weren’t hungry enough to duplicate that effort. Plus we lost several guys that were key to winning those cups. I honestly don’t see Sid or Geno hoisting another cup in their careers especially with JR running the show.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irwineer2
Yea lack of wanting to make the sacrifices necessary to winning a cup. I think the Pens were too happy withbehest they had already accomplished and weren’t hungry enough to duplicate that effort. Plus we lost several guys that were key to winning those cups. I honestly don’t see Sid or Geno hoisting another cup in their careers especially with JR running the show.

I could see it if they were willing to make some hard changes... but i digress.

The essential problem remains that the only way to get rid of a bad contract (Horndog, Johnson, Matheson, Brent Seabrook, Justin Abdelkater, Milan Lucic, etc)......especially in 2020.......is by taking a bad contract back in return and simply pray to Gawd it works out for you.

Sceviour is a 6ft , non physical, 4th line , plug. Brilliant... just what we needed to sweeten the deal! Something tells me this was Zito dictating, we can still do this , but due to insurance issues you'll take 1.2 mil of (insert useless guys name here)....oh well, it's done, let's see if Matheson becomes the latest whipping boy, or a half decent D man in a new locale....

Reactions: WVRON
I will say one thing positive at least.... Thanks for the consistent EFFORT Horndog, it was fun to watch the melees in front of net and overall jam he brought. GMJR brought him to the Burgh so thanks there too, one of his steals from the past....

Reactions: WVRON
so another lefty dman... hmmm

i don't think ol jr is done. lets see what the finished product looks like before we make judgements.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT