ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- 2020 Off-season

No matter what happens, what I don't want to hear is anything about how PO'd Horndog is with the Penguins (or GMJR)......I mean, who else would have given him 5/26.5 two years ago ??

That said, I'm golng to miss the absolute hell out of this guy everytime I see him on the ice......and regrettably, I'll just as quickly forget about him the next time (or presumably, times) he's on the injured list.

Meanwhile, the reviews on Matheson are so awful that I'm already keeping my fingers crossed he can simply settle in as a rank-and-file, 17-19 minute 3rd pairing guy......not sure anyone can/should reasonably expect anything more, no matter what he's making.

Presumably, the hope/prayer is that he becomes the next Schultz (well that is, the one before he signed his now-expiring deal).

Reactions: torontoeers
One more thing.....since Matheson is being panned universally by pretty much anyone even remotely associated with Pens media (even guys like DK who are typically kind to JR), I guess the only one who'll eventually go public with anything positive about the deal is/will be Mr. Contrarian, Mark Madden.

Written reports this afternoon seem to be implying that any notion Hornqvist was seriously considering exercising his NTC was badly overreported.

According to what I've read......while he freely admitted he didn't want to leave......Horndog's attitude ultimately was that as soon as he found out the Pens "didn't want him".....and that Florida did.....he quickly decided in favor of the deal. It therefore begs the question, then, why did he (presumably) insist on the NTC to begin with ???

Of course, perhaps he (and his wife) were a little more personally amenable about going to Miami than to somewhere like, say, Calgary or Ottawa or Phoenix. Meanwhile, at first blush, all indicators are that Matheson (understandably) is extremely pleased with the deal.

Written reports this afternoon seem to be implying that any notion Hornqvist was seriously considering exercising his NTC was badly overreported.

According to what I've read......while he freely admitted he didn't want to leave......Horndog's attitude ultimately was that as soon as he found out the Pens "didn't want him".....and that Florida did.....he quickly decided in favor of the deal. It therefore begs the question, then, why did he (presumably) insist on the NTC to begin with ???

Of course, perhaps he (and his wife) were a little more personally amenable about going to Miami than to somewhere like, say, Calgary or Ottawa or Phoenix. Meanwhile, at first blush, all indicators are that Matheson (understandably) is extremely pleased with the deal.
Well...I guess he is...he may of course not feel so delighted in a few years, I guess we'll see...

Reactions: COOL MAN

Do you, or anyone else for that matter here, feel we need to replace this jam that he (Honrny) brought, at minimum? Where will the aggressiveness or at least push back come from? I see it nowhere up and down the roster...ya Tanev can play a tenacious game, with a bit of attitude but he certainly is overmatched either in front of net or if needed to deliver a well timed cross check. Some say Lafferty? Uh no, not near convinced he has that sort of mean streak to his game, nor a consistent game at all... let's face facts here, in watching this final 4 teams in playoff both this year AND last, every single team has a guy or two that strikes fear into opponents, whether that is a punishing body check or a cross check, combined with don't **** with me/us look...Sid and Geno doing this job? That's a recipe for success in early/mid 30's right? If GMJR wants to hang on, he damnwell is going to have to assign some aggressive into this squad. Who is you guys preferred get...cause we need to get somebody in some capacity.....give me some names.... mine would be on the cheap Watson out of Nashville. Another reclamation project that they'd likely be happy to deal. He has speed, toughness, delivers a sound body check and will drop the gloves. He has issues, but also promise, fairly young... plus he was a Peterborough Pete, so that works for me...

Last edited:
In and out in the anals of this final game 🙃 ....pretty close to the vest but good hockey imo....whoa...Pavelski, Hedman looked awful on that play and how often do ya hear that 2-0 Stars! And wow Point with the answer? Patient play by him there...guess not close to vest now....
In saying that, we all have some skin in the game tomorrow, it'll be fun. 3.30 I'll be pacing as usual, no seat needed. It's a big one. Look for our local here Pickering Ontario 🇨🇦 boy Addae in that backfield, I have a feeling....and stuff that other Canuck Chuba for less than 100....

Reactions: COOL MAN and Euell
Do you, or anyone else for that matter here, feel we need to replace this jam that he (Honrny) brought, at minimum? Where will the aggressiveness or at least push back come from? I see it nowhere up and down the roster...ya Tanev can play a tenacious game, with a bit of attitude but he certainly is overmatched either in front of net or if needed to deliver a well timed cross check. Some say Lafferty? Uh no, not near convinced he has that sort of mean streak to his game, nor a consistent game at all... let's face facts here, in watching this final 4 teams in playoff both this year AND last, every single team has a guy or two that strikes fear into opponents, whether that is a punishing body check or a cross check, combined with don't **** with me/us look...Sid and Geno doing this job? That's a recipe for success in early/mid 30's right? If GMJR wants to hang on, he damnwell is going to have to assign some aggressive into this squad. Who is you guys preferred get...cause we need to get somebody in some capacity.....give me some names.... mine would be on the cheap Watson out of Nashville. Another reclamation project that they'd likely be happy to deal. He has speed, toughness, delivers a sound body check and will drop the gloves. He has issues, but also promise, fairly young... plus he was a Peterborough Pete, so that works for me...

This team no longer has any net front "jam" (which isn't Tanev's game anyway, IMO).......and nothing currently leads me to believe any is coming anytime soon.

This team no longer has any net front "jam" (which isn't Tanev's game anyway, IMO).......and nothing currently leads me to believe any is coming anytime soon.
So we are screwed then ....get ready to scream at your tv next season....or perhaps not....well I know you are more mild mannered than I most of the time...

So we are screwed then ....get ready to scream at your tv next season....or perhaps not....well I know you are more mild mannered than I most of the time...

Heh heh......while my wife will certainly dispute this claim :smiley: I'm light years calmer than in my younger days.

Meanwhile, Kingerski posted his current proposed line combinations/D-pairings if the season started today:

Jason Zucker — Sidney Crosby — Kasperi Kapanen

Jake Guentzel — Evgeni Malkin — Bryan Rust

Brandon Tanev — Jared McCann — Sam Lafferty

Zach Aston-Reese — Teddy Blueger — Colton Sceviour

Brian Dumoulin – Kris Letang

Marcus Petterson — John Marino

Mike Matheson – Jack Johnson

He definitely doesn't like Zucker with Geno, and he's putting KK with Sid for no particular reason aside current gut feeling. As for Johnson over Ruhwedel on the 3rd pairing, it doesn't appear to be due to much more than an hyper-analysis of stats which he feels lean mildly toward JJ.

Heh heh......while my wife will certainly dispute this claim :smiley: I'm light years calmer than in my younger days.

Meanwhile, Kingerski posted his current proposed line combinations/D-pairings if the season started today:

Jason Zucker — Sidney Crosby — Kasperi Kapanen

Jake Guentzel — Evgeni Malkin — Bryan Rust

Brandon Tanev — Jared McCann — Sam Lafferty

Zach Aston-Reese — Teddy Blueger — Colton Sceviour

Brian Dumoulin – Kris Letang

Marcus Petterson — John Marino

Mike Matheson – Jack Johnson

He definitely doesn't like Zucker with Geno, and he's putting KK with Sid for no particular reason aside current gut feeling. As for Johnson over Ruhwedel on the 3rd pairing, it doesn't appear to be due to much more than an hyper-analysis of stats which he feels lean mildly toward JJ.
Seeing these combos on paper?....well I'm just a wee bit concerned. The 3rd line is rather meh, imo depending on if McCann can regain form. And I'm not sold at all on Laff...yet.
The 4th line although it is just that a 4th deeply concerns me. Teddy is just fine in his role the other 2 dont inspire me with confidence whatsoever.
As for that 3rd pairing on D. YIKES! If the metrics I see on Matheson, and the eyeball test we've all seen on Jack 'hold up' , it's a recipe for disaster imo. Perhaps as you mention he's inserting Jack in there re this hyper analysis on stats....
I will continue to assume GMJR is not done, which both scares me and leaves me with a modicum of hope, and thus things will change from what we see here....
I'd rather see Jake with Sid, but things are often switched about that way throughout a season so ok.

Separately, congrats to the Bolts. I was pulling for Dallas but oh well....at start of playoff I was wondering about placing an asterisk on this Cup. I no longer think that way. To last long term through the bubble the way constructed was quite a feat.

Reactions: Euell
Seeing these combos on paper?....well I'm just a wee bit concerned. The 3rd line is rather meh, imo depending on if McCann can regain form. And I'm not sold at all on Laff...yet.
The 4th line although it is just that a 4th deeply concerns me. Teddy is just fine in his role the other 2 dont inspire me with confidence whatsoever.
As for that 3rd pairing on D. YIKES! If the metrics I see on Matheson, and the eyeball test we've all seen on Jack 'hold up' , it's a recipe for disaster imo. Perhaps as you mention he's inserting Jack in there re this hyper analysis on stats....
I will continue to assume GMJR is not done, which both scares me and leaves me with a modicum of hope, and thus things will change from what we see here....
I'd rather see Jake with Sid, but things are often switched about that way throughout a season so ok.

Separately, congrats to the Bolts. I was pulling for Dallas but oh well....at start of playoff I was wondering about placing an asterisk on this Cup. I no longer think that way. To last long term through the bubble the way constructed was quite a feat.

Was thinking about your comment regarding the 3rd and 4th lines....and i thought there's no talent depth in the organization, so what can they do. Which then prompted my recollection of Sammie Poulin, who obviously is not shown on this listing......and who may well make the team.

Not sure on which line he'd play if he made the roster.....

Was thinking about your comment regarding the 3rd and 4th lines....and i thought there's no talent depth in the organization, so what can they do. Which then prompted my recollection of Sammie Poulin, who obviously is not shown on this listing......and who may well make the team.

Not sure on which line he'd play if he made the roster.....
For certain... if he can make the transition sooner than later it'd be awesome for a bit of depth. If he can stick with the big club in a 4th line role I'd be happy, if he can make his way up to line 3 in his first (potential ) season, and knock one of the other guys down, display some of the grit we've heard of, I'd be overjoyed.

I've not been listening to NHLN Radio much recently.....nor watching the now-completed playoffs, for that matter......so I'm wondering what's the latest estimate of when 2020/21 will start. I thought I was previously hearing something like DEC 1, but I just can't see restarting the game in only 60 days (including camp). Maybe that proposed start date has already been pushed back

I also realize that changes in the COVID situation could short-circuit almost any current plans.....

I've not been listening to NHLN Radio much recently.....nor watching the now-completed playoffs, for that matter......so I'm wondering what's the latest estimate of when 2020/21 will start. I thought I was previously hearing something like DEC 1, but I just can't see restarting the game in only 60 days (including camp). Maybe that proposed start date has already been pushed back

I also realize that changes in the COVID situation could short-circuit almost any current plans.....
I am of the opinion Dec 1st is a pipe dream right now. Main reason being the border closure. The Blue Jays attempted to convince Gov't here to play their games with teams travelling in and out to no avail. They were playing in Buffalo before the playoffs... speaking of which could we have two pro sports franchises with champs from Tampa? Maybe.... anyway, I dont see them playing in any sort of bubble scenario for regular season, and unless the case count goes down considerably before Dec (it's back on the rise in Toronto and Ottawa), I can't even see some kind of modified border opening.
In saying that, for certain the NHL will pressure to have it happen..... one idea however may be to modify the schedule into 1 Canadian and 3 or 4 US divisions, exclusively playing each other for a shortened season or until things settle down appreciably? If they wanna get going early this winter, I don't see why this idea wouldn't be a very viable option. Longer travel for the Cdn teams in some cases but I think they'd still jump at the opportunity....

He sucks...nearly as bad as JJ.
Care to actually explain why you feel this way, maybe with some stats ? They can even be bullshit Harry Potter style analytics if you like, or I've seen him play or whatever.... just some actual reasoning. I'll give you age factor (in terms of a longer term contract) but that's about it to be honest imo....
You really don't have to worry at this point anyway. GMJR managed to get a 6 year possible lead anchor to 'supplement' the corps that he figures can be taught ... Tanev is gone from the radar quite likely....

Calling on @Original Mountaineer1 as well ! I know you wanted him gone....was THIS the return you expected?

looks like it was exchange of bad contracts and GMJR lost unless the 4th like guy can help. I mean lost in the sense that the pens took a bigger cap hit I’m indifferent on the talent exchanged.
Jarry was signed! I’m happy with that.

looks like it was exchange of bad contracts and GMJR lost unless the 4th like guy can help. I mean lost in the sense that the pens took a bigger cap hit I’m indifferent on the talent exchanged.
Jarry was signed! I’m happy with that.
I like the term and number on Jars....although I am not totally sold on him YET. The sample size is minimal. Hopefully it works out over the term.
Yes an exchange of bad contracts, if Matheson can manage to even become a half assed D man I think it's a win, if he can't it is a MASSIVE error imo.

I honestly thought Horny played great in the playoffs. Not sure why but he and Sid appeared to be the only two wanting to play. After seeing Malkins wife, I know why he played so shitty. I wouldn’t want to be in a bubble either if that was waiting lady was waiting home for me.

I honestly thought Horny played great in the playoffs. Not sure why but he and Sid appeared to be the only two wanting to play. After seeing Malkins wife, I know why he played so shitty. I wouldn’t want to be in a bubble either if that was waiting lady was waiting home for me.
If I am trading anybody right now? It's that guy.... I have had it with him. Get something for him. Then again he has always pissed me right the **** off.... so be it.

Maatta to Kings for someone named Brad Morrison. Hawks rumored to be withholding $750K of OMs salary each of the next 2 years........beyond that, looks like the latest of the League's pure salary dumps to me (though I admit I know nothing about the Morrison kid).

Maatta to Kings for someone named Brad Morrison. Hawks rumored to be withholding $750K of OMs salary each of the next 2 years........beyond that, looks like the latest of the League's pure salary dumps to me (though I admit I know nothing about the Morrison kid).
I think he was playing in ECHL? Yup, just a dump.

Another thing... they dont deal Murray by 5pm tomorrow they have to qualify offer him. Likely a year at 3 point whatever but.... this could make things interesting...

So apparently the Pens have qualified Murray... this may end up quite the cat and mouse scenario after all... from Hooks ...

'Murray, though, also has an important ace up his sleeve in this whole process. The Pens have sent him a qualifying offer, meaning barring a trade Pittsburgh will retain his rights on Friday as a restricted free agent, if it comes to that. Murray can file for arbitration and seek what could be a lucrative short-term contract. Having this edge lessens a reason to accept a long-term deal on a bargain rate from a team like Chicago if he can get that same money on a short deal and then hit unrestricted free agency and look for a raise.

But here’s where the game of chicken comes in. Murray and his reps also know the Pens have neither the cap room nor much inclination to want to keep him. Pittsburgh might not honor any arbitration award (their right if the award is over $4.5 million, which it surely would be). Then Murray would become an unrestricted free agent late in the process when all those other free agent goalies will have gobbled up the jobs.'

Interesting....draft night, UFA's 72 hrs away....

Well at least the Leaves wasted our onetime pick on a young softer Kapanen LMFAO! I love it.... Pens to Leaves...'sure we'll give you a first for him but only if you promise to throw it in the trash' ....say no more! Where do we sign?!? Oh my, they are going apeshit here over the wasted pick. Awesome theatre! [banana]
tenor.gif

Last edited:
pens trade murray to ottawa for jonathan gruden and a second round pick.

Ok, I'm posting it cause to be frank I can't believe my ****in ears. 'We'll get a 3rd goalie to keep our eye on'? Lmfao, oldtimer, there was a reason you were turfed on your ass outta Carolina. You have NO concept of how to build a team, only the way to supplement one that is young enough and majority way there. Which everyone gives you credit for...You are prolonging the upcoming pain by saying shit like this. NO FELLA, if you are serious to compete you will get a bonafide backup, not your shitsack AHL guy. There is a reason you deposited him there Jimmy. The more this guy talks the more he sounds ridiculous of late. Get him the hell OUT .
https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/

Reactions: quinnjj
Here are my top 3 tomorrow....I expect none of them because we have an all of a sudden cheapskate who THINKS he knows the rebuild on fly.
Stecher #1. Sign him short term at 4 mil per, fleet of foot and misused in VCR
#2 and this is important, as bottom 6 Hinostroza. He is cheap and effective
#3 Crawford or Talbot at around 3 mil Talbot or 3.5 Crawford, I dont care which, enough of this bullshit about trotting DeSmith out there.

Honourable mention, Hoffman, Fast, Haula....for a cheap rate. Anyone else? You prove yourself as a freakin wishing well fool Jimmy who prolongs the pain, if you say we can win it ACT LIKE IT....that's all....other than the fact this guy will go sign Wayne Simmonds 3 years too late...see Marleau.
None of you are engaging anyway because you just dont give a **** when you see this....I assume. Don't blame you.

ADVERTISEMENT