ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- 2020 Off-season

Kingerski reporting a rumor on Friday from Russian source, Sport Express, that the Pens are talking to the NYR about the #9 pick in the 2018 draft, F Vitali Kravtsov. Kingerski has no ideas as to the geometry of a deal, but says the kid's star has NOT dimmed......so nobody has a clue how this could conceivably come together given the Pens lack of trade capital.

But, the Pittsburgh-based Sport Express reporter supposedly asked Kravtsov directly about the notion of a trade.......specifically to Pittsburgh......and the kid responded with "I can't say anything about that". Evidently, some/much of this rumor owes to the fact the Rangers are thought to be loaded with kids at F and are in no hurry for the kid to come over (and therefore want him to remain in Chelabinsk this season) .

Reactions: torontoeers
Hey t, been wondering what the perspective is in your area of the world as to whether the League's recent ask of the players to accept an additional 13-16% deferral of their salaries this year may lead to a work stoppage.

Kingerski has been going crazy over this, claiming that.....along with other things the Union agreed to as part of the new Agreement back in June (including increasing escrow payments over the life of the deal)......the players will receive only 40% of their salaries this season.

What's being said in GTA ??
I saw this and meant to get back to it CM. I don't believe for a second the owners would or could (some of them) dare a 40% salary deal this year. Mutiny indeed . Yes it has been chatted, most seem to think things will get pushed further down the road in some fashion in terms of austerity. The league still has money to placate...they will do just that when players hold firm. No way they risk a season lost.

Reactions: COOL MAN
Penguins affiliate, the Wheeling Nailers will be starting their season December 12 with limited fan attendance.

I've always thought the name Nailers was one of the cooler handles for a minor league team....

At the time they were forced to give up their original nickname of Thunderbirds, Wheeling had one of two cut nail plants in the US. It has since closed.

Not that anyone gives a shit, but coming out of WVU in the 1978/79 timeframe, I worked (as a rookie Sales Rep) for the outfit that manufactured "cut nails", Wheeling Corrugating Company. The "famous" Labelle nail plant in Wheeling actually was still in operation at the time, though the product line was, by then, in fairly steep decline.

Lemme tell you, that was one old MF'ing plant........

At the time they were forced to give up their original nickname of Thunderbirds, Wheeling had one of two cut nail plants in the US. It has since closed.

I admit I myself have never heard of the Wheeling Thunderbirds; surprising as a kid (and hockey fan) born and raised only about 40 miles to the east off I-70.......

So, the idea of outdoor games is being bounced around in Anaheim, Boston, Los Angeles, and Pittsburgh as a means to accommodate fans in the stands in the new season (at such a point it actually happen).

Not many details seem to be following the story at this point.......but aside the obvious weather issue in at least the first couple months of the New Year in Boston and Pittsburgh (that is, assuming the schedule is actually underway by JAN or FEB 2021), I myself haven't the foggiest clue how the teams would even begin to manage the financial ramifications of something like that.

Maybe the Broons are in a little better position than the others from that standpoint, because I don't get the impression the Pens' team swimming pool is exactly filled with unused thousand dollar bills these days. Meanwhile, you'd think an outdoor ticket would presumably be at least a little easier sell in SoCal than most other places (even though the Kings and Ducks both suck these days).

However, Kingerski says the current COVID regs in CA would prohibit them from doing this anyway.

Last edited:
Just read a PIerre LeBrun story in The Athletic that the following teams (aside those listed above) have also indicated at least some interest to the League in possibly hosting perhaps a couple outdoor games:
  • Carolina
  • Dallas
  • Florida
  • Nashville
The following teams supposedly told the League they were not interested for various reasons:
  • Buffalo
  • Canada teams (local restrictions too difficult)
  • MInnesota (local restrictions outside aren't much different than inside)
  • New Jersey
  • NY Rangers
  • NY Islanders
  • Tampa (hosting this year's Super Bowl, which I didn't realize)
  • Philadelphia (also owing to "city capacity restrictions")
  • Washington
According to LeBrun, the League is middling on the entire idea; among other reasons, because it would dilute interest in the Winter Classic (which seems kinda silly to me personally). Additionally, those teams theoretically interested in hosting multiple games might develop unfair (my word) competitive advantages over the visiting teams.

If you haven't heard, former Wheeling and WB/S coach Clark Donatelli was twice accused of sexually harrassing the wife of his former Assistant, Jarrod Skalde, in a ride-share back late in 2018.

Skalde was supposedly separated from his wife and Donatelli at the moment when the first of the two incidents occurred. Reportedly, he was not aware of the attack(s) while they were being committed in the back seat of the ride share

Penguins claim not to have learned of the incident until Skalde finally reported it to Billy Guerin in June 2019 at the NHL Draft (7 months later). Guerin supposedly instructed Skalde to keep the situation quiet. Within days of this, Donatelli.....reported to be a big drunk......resigned.

Evidently, Skalde continued to coach until this past summer before being released, supposedly due to COVID. At that point, Skalde filed suit......while attempting to be awarded "whistleblower" status. Penguins are said to be trying to get the case dismissed due to the statute of limitations (6 months, in this case).

• Wow
If you haven't heard, former Wheeling and WB/S coach Clark Donatelli was twice accused of sexually harrassing the wife of his former Assistant, Jarrod Skalde, in a ride-share back late in 2018.

Skalde was supposedly separated from his wife and Donatelli at the moment when the first of the two incidents occurred. Reportedly, he was not aware of the attack(s) while they were being committed in the back seat of the ride share

Penguins claim not to have learned of the incident until Skalde finally reported it to Billy Guerin in June 2019 at the NHL Draft (7 months later). Guerin supposedly instructed Skalde to keep the situation quiet. Within days of this, Donatelli.....reported to be a big drunk......resigned.

Evidently, Skalde continued to coach until this past summer before being released, supposedly due to COVID. At that point, Skalde filed suit......while attempting to be awarded "whistleblower" status. Penguins are said to be trying to get the case dismissed due to the statute of limitations (6 months, in this case).
Do I read this right...Billy (allegedly) instructed Skalde to keep mum on the entire situation??? Damn man....if true that's a dumbass and low brow maneuver...wonder how long he has a job if proven to be factual...

In other news, it seems the WJHC in Alberta this year is going ahead! Teams landing in a few days for a bubble. I pray for you fine fellas down there that a fairly major network picks it up. One of the ESPN channels? TSN up here who is tied in with them owns the rights in Canada. It's some of the best hockey on the planet IMO. Hopefully no hiccups and it goes off as planned. Lord knows we are pretty starved for some hockey with the snow starting to fly....

Furthermore to the WJHC, I'm awfully hopeful Poulin can crack the Canada lineup. The experience would be invaluable for him. Final cuts announced later this afternoon...
Meanwhile I don't see our young acquisition Gruden on the US roster? From what I understand he had a pretty decent year with London when last on the ice... maybe it's an age factor , or the team is considerably deep this year?.... not sure...

Do I read this right...Billy (allegedly) instructed Skalde to keep mum on the entire situation??? Damn man....if true that's a dumbass and low brow maneuver...wonder how long he has a job if proven to be factual...

Yes.......and from what I can tell, this is considered the most compromsing aspect of the enire situation. I have no clue what the ramifications are for Guerin if this is somehow independently proven.

Furthermore to the WJHC, I'm awfully hopeful Poulin can crack the Canada lineup. The experience would be invaluable for him. Final cuts announced later this afternoon...
Meanwhile I don't see our young acquisition Gruden on the US roster? From what I understand he had a pretty decent year with London when last on the ice... maybe it's an age factor , or the team is considerably deep this year?.... not sure...

I'm sure with you on Poulin.......sure seems like the WJ would be very good and important for him (as I assume is the case for pretty much every kid who makes the team).

In other news, it seems the WJHC in Alberta this year is going ahead! Teams landing in a few days for a bubble. I pray for you fine fellas down there that a fairly major network picks it up. One of the ESPN channels? TSN up here who is tied in with them owns the rights in Canada. It's some of the best hockey on the planet IMO. Hopefully no hiccups and it goes off as planned. Lord knows we are pretty starved for some hockey with the snow starting to fly....

I assume the NHL Network will have the rights down here......hard to imagine ESPN choosing that over the bowls and college basketball (whatever either proves to be).

I'm sure with you on Poulin.......sure seems like the WJ would be very good and important for him (as I assume is the case for pretty much every kid who makes the team).

I assume the NHL Network will have the rights down here......hard to imagine ESPN choosing that over the bowls and college basketball (whatever either proves to be).
Poulin cut... damn....and yep just saw NHLN has it. Does that mean you'll get the games? Hope so...YOU NEED SOME HOCKEY LOL.

Poulin cut... damn....and yep just saw NHLN has it. Does that mean you'll get the games? Hope so...YOU NEED SOME HOCKEY LOL.

Gotta admit I'm not looking forward to hockey as much as I'd have expected.......the Pens for fairly obvious reasons, and the WJ because they flushed Poulin. I guess I'm hoping I can remember to look for games with Finland and Sweden so as to hopefully catch the Blomqvist and/or Clang kids in goal.

And maybe I'm looking forward to the Pens more than I think......guess I won't know for sure until a month from now.

Owing to Vernon's long time policy prohibiting cut-and-pasted subscription articles, I'm on record as simply repeating stuff here that I glean from sources like The Athletic and PHN (places where others around here, I believe, do subscribe). But I'm making an exception for this brief excerpt from one PHN piece from last week:

A rival team told us to watch Jim Rutherford and Vegas. Not for Pacioretty, but because the Marc-Andre Fleury rumors have persisted, and in a “Jinx,” both the source and this writer said when Rutherford wants a player… “Jim can be stubborn.”

Doesn't really mean anything concrete, but it is interesting.......still, for whatever my opinion is worth, I still haven't the foggiest clue how GMJR clears enough cap room to bring Flower back to town.

Two items from DK

--Pens draftee Calle Clang is thought/expected to be the #3 goaltender on Sweden's WJ team (which I presume means we won't see him play at all). The other Pens goaltender draftee, Joel Blomqvist, is evidently given a better shot at seeing actual game action for Finland. As for Poulin, I'm now reading he was thought to be no better than a long shot to make Canada.

--Brooks Orpik has joined Boston College as an Assistant Coach.......evidently, he'll keep his other job (which I myself was unaware he had) as a Development coach for the Craps

Last edited:
I finally tracked down that Forbes article with the updated franchise values......the highest valued teams (NYR, TOR, MTL, CHI, BOS) seem to have been faiirly well publicized, but how/where does Pittsburgh fit the equation ??
  • #7 -- PHL ($800 million)
  • #8 -- DET
  • #9 -- WAS
  • #10 -- VAN
  • #11 -- PIT ($650 million)
  • #12 -- DAL
  • #13 -- VGK
  • #14 -- EDM
  • #15 -- NJD ($530 million)
I was surprised the Kings were 6th, and that the Red Wings weren't in the Top 5 (though I'm not sure which they'd displace). I also might have expected TBL (at #23) to be a little higher up the ladder. The lowest valued teams (from #32) are ARI, FLA, and COL.

Owing to Vernon's long time policy prohibiting cut-and-pasted subscription articles, I'm on record as simply repeating stuff here that I glean from sources like The Athletic and PHN (places where others around here, I believe, do subscribe). But I'm making an exception for this brief excerpt from one PHN piece from last week:

A rival team told us to watch Jim Rutherford and Vegas. Not for Pacioretty, but because the Marc-Andre Fleury rumors have persisted, and in a “Jinx,” both the source and this writer said when Rutherford wants a player… “Jim can be stubborn.”

Doesn't really mean anything concrete, but it is interesting.......still, for whatever my opinion is worth, I still haven't the foggiest clue how GMJR clears enough cap room to bring Flower back to town.
Please no....As much as I think a legit quality vet is needed to push/ backup Jars...and to be truthful it totally pisses me the hell off there isn't .... not this guy again, just NO. I cannot listen to his fanclub anymore. And after all the bullshit with coaches swords piercing his equipment etc on Twit? I'm totally of the opinion **** this guy....get real GMJR, quit with the half measures and telling us how you want to compete.....ah whatever, you've heard that particular diatribe from me before....

Two items from DK

--Pens draftee Calle Clang is thought/expected to be the #3 goaltender on Sweden's WJ team (which I presume means we won't see him play at all). The other Pens goaltender draftee, Joel Blomqvist, is evidently given a better shot at seeing actual game action for Finland. As for Poulin, I'm now reading he was thought to be no better than a long shot to make Canada.

--Brooks Orpik has joined Boston College as an Assistant Coach.......evidently, he'll keep his other job (which I myself was unaware he had) as a Development coach for the Craps
DK is correct....outside shot on Poulin, but was seriously hopeful. If he is one of our relatively few top end prospects in the future and he can't crack the lineup as a more mature senior? What does that say? ....ah whatever (once again), I'm gonna go on a tirade about Mr. Let's Pretend and sell a bag of crap goods to the base.... FWIW, I think you know I don't expect anything down the near future road no matter what he does regardless....I love the fact we won, and did it with style, but can't do it forever vs some of this competition. This roster as constituted should not compete with the upper echelon big guns....so rip it apart. If I am proven wrong, I will eat my crow happily.

I've been crusty this last week and a bit....usually I am lol....reason being moreso , we lost our girl Newf Miya last Monday. She sat through every game with me, faithful, barking occasionally at Dad's dismay or excitement. 12 years and 3 months is pretty great for such a big lug. There will be another Newf eventually....so here she be anyway gents. Always loved, missed greatly....
N3T1cZc.jpg
kvZIesw.jpg
n0xHmB6.jpg

I've been crusty this last week and a bit....usually I am lol....reason being moreso , we lost our girl Newf Miya last Monday. She sat through every game with me, faithful, barking occasionally at Dad's dismay or excitement. 12 years and 3 months is pretty great for such a big lug. There will be another Newf eventually....so here she be anyway gents. Always loved, missed greatly....
N3T1cZc.jpg
kvZIesw.jpg
n0xHmB6.jpg

Condolences ol' buddy.......I admittedly know nothing about dogs (at least as an owner), but I've been reading recently that newfs are up there with Goldens and Labs as among the most affectionate and non-aggressive pups in the universe. Granted, it's hard to believe an otherwise benevolent Gawd would plant aggressive tendencies into a pooch that size, but they always seem to come off as just so relaxed.

Once one ultimately adjusts to their sheer size (and drool, presumably), it's fairly easy to envision how one might become pretty attached to the breed........

Condolences ol' buddy.......I admittedly know nothing about dogs (at least as an owner), but I've been reading recently that newfs are up there with Goldens and Labs as among the most affectionate and non-aggressive pups in the universe. Granted, it's hard to believe an otherwise benevolent Gawd would plant aggressive tendencies into a pooch that size, but they always seem to come off as just so relaxed.

Once one ultimately adjusts to their sheer size (and drool, presumably), it's fairly easy to envision how one might become pretty attached to the breed........
Thanks much. Yes indeed that is it...if you embrace the drool, fur and size. It's definitely hard to see them go. I can remember our first still vividly. Literally the size of a pop can when born, and gained poundage at a rate that amazed me lol. Nothing quite like a 1 year old 140 lb jackass to chase around. She settled by about 2 1/2 ...good dog!

Jan 13th looking very unlikely...
The latest on this proposed all Canadian division is the province of BC will likely nix any travel in or out for teams... next step would be moving the Canucks to Quebec City for time being...not sure that'll happen...

As for the WJHC 8 German players and 2 Swedes test positive. The Krauts are now mandated to lock down till 24th. Their first game sched vs Canada 26th. Looks like this tourney could turn into a hot mess as well....one question I do have...who was the supergenius that elected to put 3 teams (I think Germany, Sweden, Swiss) on the same charter flight over? Sound decision making right there....

Slow start tonight for team USA vs the Ruskies.... rounded into form in the third but too late.
This tourney with so little prelim/ exhibition action is a super hard one to judge....
In saying that, the first thing I and my neighbour goalie friend noticed was 'what in the F is this Russian goalie thinking in his all red outfit (PADS!), every goalie in existence now wears white' , well unless your name is MAF and we won't go there today....because it blends with the ice. This guy thinks he's that good , nah he's not as witnessed by the third period....oh well onwards and upwards.

ESPN did a column a couple weeks ago listing their Top 100 NHL prospects.....those at the top are pretty well known (Lafreniere, Byfield, Stuetzle, Raymond, Kaprisov).......but while I don't/can't follow Juniors that closely, I was really surprised to see Sammy Poulin (#62) actually ranked marginally higher than Ty Dallandrea (#66).

That's obviously a practical tie; but I myself would honesty have expected Dallandrea (who I read had 70 points in 47 games last season) to be ranked quite a bit higher coming off his second WJHC selection. The author of the piece seemed to be surprised as to how much Poulin improved last season while maintaining his "physical edge".

BTW, Calen Addison was ranked #57......

Just took my first psuedo-close look at the new season's schedule this morning; everything is a back-to-back 2 game mini-series, with most (though not all) being played over a 3 day period. Under the assumption it doesn't get short-circuited like last season, I see the last two weeks of the season is (on paper, at least) pretty tough.
  • Broons home on 4/25 & 27
  • Craps away on 4/29 & 5/1
  • Cryers away on 5/3 & 4
Then, they close out the season at home versus the Sabres....who I suspect most generally figure to be improved this season......on 5/6 & 8. Here are the back-to backers:
  • NYR away on 2/1, then NJD home on 2/2
  • NYI away on 2/27 & 28
  • Broons home on 3/15 & 16
  • NYI home on 3/29 & 30
  • NJD home on 4/24, then Broons 4/25
  • Cryers away on 5/3 & 4

And the Habs just signed Perry at 1 year 750 g's....don't ****ing tell me you want to win now GMJR when I see guys available with skill, size, experience and pushback ....and you pass the buck for chumps like Codi Ceci and Sceviour or whatever the hell his name is. Not to mention your stellar group of goalies to boot....

ESPN did a column a couple weeks ago listing their Top 100 NHL prospects.....those at the top are pretty well known (Lafreniere, Byfield, Stuetzle, Raymond, Kaprisov).......but while I don't/can't follow Juniors that closely, I was really surprised to see Sammy Poulin (#62) actually ranked marginally higher than Ty Dallandrea (#66).

That's obviously a practical tie; but I myself would honesty have expected Dallandrea (who I read had 70 points in 47 games last season) to be ranked quite a bit higher coming off his second WJHC selection. The author of the piece seemed to be surprised as to how much Poulin improved last season while maintaining his "physical edge".

BTW, Calen Addison was ranked #57......
Dellandrea not the offensive upside as Poulin although he was a point getter in junior. It's oft funny how they evaluate, but my bet says it's how Dellandrea had benefit of his fellow Port Perry buddy Jake Durham on his wing.... he looks like a solid 3rd line C in the future to my eyes, he can play some D whereas Poulin is either a top 6 or bust scenario. I'm not sure he has the wherewithal to even think of D....just my take

DK reporting that KK is stuck in FInland with immigration issues, and may not make Pittsburgh in time for Day #1 of camp on Sunday (which is said to be reserved for physicals, team meetings, etc).

• Wow
Dellandrea not the offensive upside as Poulin although he was a point getter in junior. It's oft funny how they evaluate, but my bet says it's how Dellandrea had benefit of his fellow Port Perry buddy Jake Durham on his wing.... he looks like a solid 3rd line C in the future to my eyes, he can play some D whereas Poulin is either a top 6 or bust scenario. I'm not sure he has the wherewithal to even think of D....just my take

Is the Durham kid any kind of prospect.....and if so, what organization is he with ??

And the Habs just signed Perry at 1 year 750 g's....don't ****ing tell me you want to win now GMJR when I see guys available with skill, size, experience and pushback ....and you pass the buck for chumps like Codi Ceci and Sceviour or whatever the hell his name is. Not to mention your stellar group of goalies to boot....

Coming off $3.25 million last season in Dallas, it's pretty obvious nobody (including Montreal, Dallas, and Anaheim) wanted any part of Perry at whatever number he was demanding when FA's were being signed back in early October.

So, he's left flapping in the wind with nothing else to do with his life, and has to accept (for all intents and purposes) the League minimum from anyone with leftover cap space. Perry may indeed be a better player than Jankowski, Sceviour, or anyone else the Pens signed, but he wasn't that cheap when the Pens (and the rest of the League) were building their roster.

If others knew he was going to be available for the minimum in mid-December, I'll bet a lot of teams (and not just the Pens) would have saved up that same $750K for a swing at Perry. Still, I suspect Perry would have given almost anything to have signed somewhere west of the Rockies.

If you didn't hear this earlier today, Jason Botterill to Seattle as Assistant to Ron Francis.....sounds like a nice landing spot for him to re-establish his reputation in pursuit of another GM opportunity (like, as we all know, in Pittsburgh in a couple years).

Additionally, the Pens are now playing this season in the Mass Mutual NHL East Division, next to the Scotia NHL North, Discover NHL Central, and Honda NHL West. These divisional naming rights are said to be a single year in duration.

Meanwhile, if you didn't see this yesterday, Pens will wear the PPG sponsorship logo on their helmets this season:

Eq5fwaTWMAIkxeL-scaled.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
If you didn't hear this earlier today, Jason Botterill to Seattle as Assistant to Ron Francis.....sounds like a nice landing spot for him to re-establish his reputation in pursuit of another GM opportunity (like, as we all know, in Pittsburgh in a couple years).

Additionally, the Pens are now playing this season in the Mass Mutual NHL East Division, next to the Scotia NHL North, Discover NHL Central, and Honda NHL West. These divisional naming rights are said to be a single year in duration.

Meanwhile, if you didn't see this yesterday, Pens will wear the PPG sponsorship logo on their helmets this season:

Eq5fwaTWMAIkxeL-scaled.jpeg
Ah geez.... not the uniforms! They are gonna look like half these international teams soon. I get it that they need to make money somehow BUT, I'd bet my mortgage these adverts on uniforms are now here to stay damnit. Bunch of billboards skating around out there...

Best of luck this eve gents... but not too much of it ;) ....this is imo the best final we could have hoped for. I look forward to the Canucks facing a much better competition than in ANY of the round robin or playoff rounds....
Time slot at 9.30 Eastern kinda blows....gonna be tired day at work tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT