ADVERTISEMENT

NOW can we stop pretending Ohio State deserves playoff consideration?

You need to sit down and watch their games against Georgia and USC. You seem foolish on this one.
Notre Dame overrated every year. It’s become embarrassing to even rank them. The program is garbage living in the past.

I think that Notre Dame Historically has benefited from favorable media bias. They have definately been over hyped at times and received rankings well above what they actually deserve. I don't think its as egregious this year. Miami and Wisconsin fans are the 2 that have the most to gripe about. The Miami issue will be solved on Saturday night. I'm not saying that Notre dame is the 3rd best team in the country but they have wins against So cal, mich State, North Carolina state and if they were to beat Miami and Stanford they could end up having 5 wins against ranked teams. None of these teams our world beaters by any means but I'd rather have my lone lose to Georgia than losing to and Iowa state team with very little talent Like Oklahoma did. Regardless if whether some of the 2 loss teams are better then them 1 loss is better than 2. If they win on Saturday night then Wisconsin is probably the only team left with a legitamate gripe.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
OSU did not deserve a playoff slot last year. Herbie said the team was young and would be better this yr. No way they deserved a bid last year. This committee stuff is a joke
Of course they did. They were number 2 and 3 in the main polls on Selection Day.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
Of course they did. They were number 2 and 3 in the main polls on Selection Day.

We were told when the new system was set-up that the committee would work to get the 4 best teams in the playoff not the four highest ranked teams. OSU was not one of the 4 best teams. They lost 31-0 in the first game. And, they didn’t win their conference!

You know the committee was having a hard time supporting the pick when they said the BCS system would have picked the same four teams. Wait! We were told the BCS system was broken and we had to have this new system.

Before the Playoffs, Ohio State had one loss, and a great resume, which included a blowout win over Oklahoma in Norman, but please continue to cry like an infant about what happened last season, AllEersandNoBrain. You remember the 2016 Sooners, don't you? That was the team that went 9-0 in the Big 12, including a 56-28 humiliation of your favorite team in Morgantown. You also threw a tantrum after the 2014 Playoff teams had been announced, and how did that work out for you? I'll wait for your answers.

We were told when the new system was set-up that the committee would work to get the 4 best teams in the playoff not the four highest ranked teams. OSU was not one of the 4 best teams. They lost 31-0 in the first game. And, they didn’t win their conference!

You know the committee was having a hard time supporting the pick when they said the BCS system would have picked the same four teams. Wait! We were told the BCS system was broken and we had to have this new system.

A) yes they were. They were 11-1 on the nation’s TOUGHEST schedule

B) winning a conference is subjective because one loss can knock out of your division

C) your BS hind-sight argument about how they performed once in the Playoffs means nothing towards the argument of who should have been chosen on Selectionday

D) the two teams behind them in the final regular season rankings lost to worse teams in their bowl games too, meaning your argument is even MORE worthless

Congrats on the epic fail!

Before the Playoffs, Ohio State had one loss, and a great resume, which included a blowout win over Oklahoma in Norman, but please continue to cry like an infant about what happened last season, AllEersandNoBrain. You remember the 2016 Sooners, don't you? That was the team that went 9-0 in the Big 12, including a 56-28 humiliation of your favorite team in Morgantown. You also threw a tantrum after the 2014 Playoff teams had been announced, and how did that work out for you? I'll wait for your answers.
I have said nothing about Oklahoma! OSU didnt even win the conference and got trashed by Clemson. We just a difference in opinion. I don't think OSU deserved bid. The issue is once you get the chance you can't lay an egg and OSU did have a poor showing.

Reactions: Phil
A) yes they were. They were 11-1 on the nation’s TOUGHEST schedule

B) winning a conference is subjective because one loss can knock out of your division

If its subjective then why did the committee say a 13th data point was why TCU didn't get in. OSU had no 13th data point!! So was the data point issue just made up by the committee?

C) your BS hind-sight argument about how they performed once in the Playoffs means nothing towards the argument of who should have been chosen on Selectionday

This issue is the semi final games have been by in large not very good games so are we picking the correct teams?

D) the two teams behind them in the final regular season rankings lost to worse teams in their bowl games too, meaning your argument is even MORE worthless

Talk about a BS. Just because they lost there bowl games as well has no meaning to this debate.

Congrats on the epic fail!

Funny how you say they played such a difficult sch but talk about all the teams they beat losing in bowl games.

If its subjective then why did the committee say a 13th data point was why TCU didn't get in. OSU had no 13th data point!! So was the data point an issue just made up by the committee

This issue is the semi final games have been by in large part not very good games so are we picking the correct teams?

Talk about a BS. Just because they lost there bowl games as well has no meaning to this debate.

Congrats on not being able to debate without getting personal.

Last edited:
I think that Notre Dame Historically has benefited from favorable media bias. They have definately been over hyped at times and received rankings well above what they actually deserve. I don't think its as egregious this year. Miami and Wisconsin fans are the 2 that have the most to gripe about. The Miami issue will be solved on Saturday night. I'm not saying that Notre dame is the 3rd best team in the country but they have wins against So cal, mich State, North Carolina state and if they were to beat Miami and Stanford they could end up having 5 wins against ranked teams. None of these teams our world beaters by any means but I'd rather have my lone lose to Georgia than losing to and Iowa state team with very little talent Like Oklahoma did. Regardless if whether some of the 2 loss teams are better then them 1 loss is better than 2. If they win on Saturday night then Wisconsin is probably the only team left with a legitamate gripe.

I’m Catholic and went to Pittsburgh Central Catholic and still can’t stand ND and BC. I borderline hate Kelly and root aginst ND and BC more than Penn State. But so far this year ND has done some good things to get them into position for a playoff spot. Not saying they’re great just giving ND credit even though I can’t stand them.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
Surely, even the College Football Pretzel committee will stop pretending that Ohio State belongs anywhere near the 4-team playoff. 31-point loss to Iowa, which Iowa State took into overtime.

What will it take for the committee to admit that Alabama is #1? Regardless, the top 5 teams will be the same on Tuesday, no matter what order the committee puts them in, since they all won: Georgia, should-be-#1 Alabama, Notre Dame, Clemson and Oklahoma.

Think TCU will climb past Ohio State and Penn State, a pair of Big 10 losers? Ha!

As for Wisconsin: Big whoopee. They romped through Utah State (5-5 Mountain West team), Florida Atlantic (6-3 C-USA team), BYU (2-7), Northwestern (6-3), Nebraska (4-5), Purdue (4-5), Maryland (4-5), Illinois (2-7) and Indiana (3-6). Talk about a creampuff path to the Big 10 title game. WVU should be so lucky as to swap its Big 12 gauntlet for the Badgers' walk in the park.

#1 Georgia 24, South Carolina 10

#2 (ha!) Alabama 24, #19 LSU 10

#3 Notre Dame 48, Wake Forest 37

#4 Clemson 38, North Carolina State 31

#5 Oklahoma 62, #11 Oklahoma State 52

Iowa 55, #6 Ohio State 24

#24 Michigan State 27, #7 Penn State 24

#8 TCU 24, Texas 7

#9 Wisconsin 45, Indiana 17

#10 Miami 28, Virginia Tech 10

#12 Washington 38, Oregon 3 in 4th quarter

#14 Auburn 42, Texas A&M 27

West Virginia 20, #15 Iowa State 16

#16 Mississippi State 34, UMass 23

#17 Southern Cal 21, #22 Arizona (Rich’s team) 6 at halftime

#18 Central Florida 31, SMU 24

#23 Memphis 41, Tulsa 14

#25 Washington State 24, #21 Stanford 21

M istakes by special teams + absence of Simms & Long = loss to Virginia Tech, 31-24
O bliterated East Carolina, 56-20
U nhinged Delaware State, 59-16
N ot sharp but beat Kansas, 56-34
T ops statistically but tough loss to TCU, 31-24
A mbushed Texas Tech, 46-35, with 20:49 minute goose egg
I nvincible to inept, nipped Baylor, 38-36
N oxious offense deadly vs. Oklahoma State, 39-50
E arly lead behind offense, defense; survived Iowa State, 20-16
E erectile dysfunction Kansas State
R eam Texas
S hock Oklahoma

Why are you so obsessed with Ohio State? The only team you should care about is wvu and where not going to the playoff.

OK, I'll rank 'em. But it doesn't mean I'm wrong if the College Football Pretzel committee sees it differently. It just means they aren't as accurate as I am.

1. Alabama. Mississippi State and Auburn are going down big-time.
2. Georgia. Another defeat for Auburn.
3. Clemson. 3 easy victims coming up.
4. Miami. Notre Dame, Virginia and Pitt are in trouble.
5. Oklahoma. TCU and WVU minefields ahead.
6. Notre Dame.
7. TCU.
8. Washington.
9. Wisconsin.

Why are you so obsessed with Ohio State? The only team you should care about is wvu and where not going to the playoff.

I've spent a lifetime being obsessed with injustice in everything -- sports or life or society -- and a team that finished 3rd in its own conference should NOT be in the 4-team national playoff. It's that simple.

And yes, I'm far more interested in how my alma mater does. Which, incidentally, still might make the Big 12 title game if all the chips fall the right way. Woo-hoo!

I have said nothing about Oklahoma! OSU didnt even win the conference and got trashed by Clemson. We just a difference in opinion. I don't think OSU deserved bid. The issue is once you get the chance you can't lay an egg and OSU did have a poor showing.
I brought up Oklahoma because the Buckeyes' romp in Norman was the best OOC regular season road win by any school last season, and played a key role in Ohio State's invitation to the Playoffs. You haven't identified the school that should have been invited to the Playoffs instead of Ohio State, but no school that you would name had only only one loss, as Ohio State did. No two-loss team has ever made the CFP, and there is no rule that a school must win its conference championship to be invited to the Playoffs. If there were, then Notre Dame would be disqualified.

SU didnt even win the conference and got trashed by Clemson. We just a difference in opinion. I don't think OSU deserved bid. The issue is once you get the chance you can't lay an egg and OSU did have a poor showing.

The fact that you think Ohio St doesn't deserve a bid doesn't mean anything. Your opinion isn't the deciding factor. When you say that "once you get the chance you cant lay an egg" that contradicts another point, as I'll show later.

Funny how you say they played such a difficult sch but talk about all the teams they beat losing in bowl games.

Their schedule was more difficult that the teams that got left out. Plus, the selection takes place before the bowl games are played. The selections can only be based on what already happened. There is no way to factor in bowl results into the selections.

If its subjective then why did the committee say a 13th data point was why TCU didn't get in. OSU had no 13th data point!! So was the data point an issue just made up by the committee

The committee didn't say the 13th data point was the reason TCU didn't get in. The committee said that TCU didn't get in because they had a weaker SOS that the other teams, and the other teams all had more wins over opponents who finished ranked. The committee only said that having a 13th data point could have helped TCU to close the gap in these metrics.

The difference with Ohio St is that last year, two P5 champions had 2 losses. In 2014, none of the P5 champs had more than one loss. Ohio St got help by other teams losing, which didn't happen to TCU.

This issue is the semi final games have been by in large part not very good games so are we picking the correct teams?

Yes. You are making the assumption that there are teams out there which could have done better. In college football, it's not uncommon for one or two teams to be head and shoulders above the rest.

Ok, so then you can't say Ohio St losing the Fiesta bowl matters to the debate either. All this happened after the selections took place. It's just 20-20 hindsight. Ohio St got picked in 2014, and won the whole thing. In 2016, the lost. One time, the selection was "right," the other time it was "wrong." If the committee always knew the "right" teams to select every year, then there would be no point of having playoffs. We would just give the trophy to the "right" team at the end of the season, just like in the old days.

OK, I'll rank 'em. But it doesn't mean I'm wrong if the College Football Pretzel committee sees it differently. It just means they aren't as accurate as I am.

1. Alabama. Mississippi State and Auburn are going down big-time.
2. Georgia. Another defeat for Auburn.
3. Clemson. 3 easy victims coming up.
4. Miami. Notre Dame, Virginia and Pitt are in trouble.
5. Oklahoma. TCU and WVU minefields ahead.
6. Notre Dame.
7. TCU.
8. Washington.
9. Wisconsin.

I've spent a lifetime being obsessed with injustice in everything -- sports or life or society -- and a team that finished 3rd in its own conference should NOT be in the 4-team national playoff. It's that simple.

And yes, I'm far more interested in how my alma mater does. Which, incidentally, still might make the Big 12 title game if all the chips fall the right way. Woo-hoo!
Stop lying. You have lived in the State of Ohio for many years, and are insanely jealous of what the Buckeyes have accomplished, PERIOD

Congrats on not being able to debate without getting personal.

Stop comparing different years with one another

Each year is independent with a separate set of teams and separate context towards each team’s ranking...... what happened to TCU in 2014 has no bearing on what happened to OSU in 2016..... if TCU wanted in then, they should have scheduled a respectable OOC that didn’t feature a 1-Win SMU and a 1-AA school.

You can’t use the “see they didn’t deserve it because they lost” line when the teams that “did” deserve it also lost (Penn St, Michigan)

If you look at the semi-final matchups as a whole since the Playoffs started, the outcomes have not been close.

Last year was a clear cut “Two best” above all other programs situation and no one else was close to them.

Congrats on your epic fail 2.0!

I said:

1. Alabama.
    2. Georgia.
    3. Clemson.
    4. Miami.
    5. Oklahoma.
    6. Notre Dame.
    7. TCU.
    8. Washington.
    9. Wisconsin.

CFP committee: #1 Georgia, #2 Alabama, #3 Notre Dame, #4 Clemson, #5 Oklahoma, #6 TCU, #7 Miami, #8 Wisconsin, #9 Washington

We’ll see if the committee or me got the Miami and Notre Dame evaluations right on Saturday.

I also see Washington as better than Wisconsin, but not the committee, and again it’s irrelevant because neither would be in the playoffs today. And, I'll admit, it's a close call. At least Barry Alvarez no longer is getting the wrong Big 10 team into the playoffs, the way he did

Again, the Alabama/Georgia #1 or #2 is irrelevant because both would be in today and would settle it on the field, as it should.

In 3 weeks, who thinks all 9 of these teams still will be ranked where they are today?

The committee doesn’t evaluate

They rank.

What may happen this weekend plays no part in tonight’s ranking.....

they aren’t the college football forecast Committee

The fact you have OK above ND who lost by 1 point to #1 Georgia just shows how subjective and unable to form an unbiased opinion you really are......

OK lost to ISU...... loser of 3 games to unranked teams including WVU

I brought up Oklahoma because the Buckeyes' romp in Norman was the best OOC regular season road win by any school last season, and played a key role in Ohio State's invitation to the Playoffs. You haven't identified the school that should have been invited to the Playoffs instead of Ohio State, but no school that you would name had only only one loss, as Ohio State did. No two-loss team has ever made the CFP, and there is no rule that a school must win its conference championship to be invited to the Playoffs. If there were, then Notre Dame would be disqualified.

Not that I'm agreeing with the OP rantings, but if 2014 OSU gets to brush off home loss to terrible VT and 2017 OSU gets to brush off home loss to OU because a team can "play better down the stretch", how come 2016 gets to tout an early season road OU win to debunk criticisms of the weaknesses they showed down the stretch? Just saying it seems early season games' value are based upon wins or losses.

You can call what Ohio State did last season as "weaknesses," but the fact remains that Ohio State lost ONE regular season game, and Penn State and Oklahoma each lost TWO. For some reason, droves of WVU fans continue to compare losses, without adequately considering how many losses a school has. Comparing the resume of a two-loss team to a one-loss team where the one-loss team has as many or more quality wins as the two-loss team is comparing apples to oranges. No two-loss team has made the Playoffs yet.

No they aren’t

And you have no explanation for why you ranked ND after Ok....... none

Not only does ND have the better loss but they have also beaten 3 ranked teams

OK has only beaten 2

Good and fair post. Impressive even though you hate my guts.

You can call what Ohio State did last season as "weaknesses," but the fact remains that Ohio State lost ONE regular season game, and Penn State and Oklahoma each lost TWO. For some reason, droves of WVU fans continue to compare losses, without adequately considering how many losses a school has. Comparing the resume of a two-loss team to a one-loss team where the one-loss team has as many or more quality wins as the two-loss team is comparing apples to oranges. No two-loss team has made the Playoffs yet.

That's not the point. In general, why is it that one can make the argument that an early season loss is irrelevant because the team can be different at playoff selection time, but a big early season win should be considered a resume builder. If a bad loss can be brushed aside easily because it was early in the season, then it's only fair an early big win can be brpushed aside as easily. Specifically, how does one justify when an early game should really affect selection committee decisions and when is it irrelevant?

Because everyone twists and rearranges the chips to fit their agenda. Particularly the College Football Pretzel committee that put in a team that finished THIRD in its own conference as one of the top four teams in the nation. And saw the wipeout that any idiot could see coming, so bad that tofu didn't even score a point. Oh, the humanity!

I’m Catholic and went to Pittsburgh Central Catholic and still can’t stand ND and BC. I borderline hate Kelly and root aginst ND and BC more than Penn State. But so far this year ND has done some good things to get them into position for a playoff spot. Not saying they’re great just giving ND credit even though I can’t stand them.
I am catholic to I don't like ND either. There have been years in which they were grossly over Hyped and didn't come close to deserving the notoriety they received. I can't really complain all that much this year. After Miami and Wisconsin who else has a legitmate beef? Im sure some of the 2 loss teams are better then them but if you lose 2 games you're not taking care of business. Like it or not there more deserving than most even if there not as good as advertised.

The fact that you think Ohio St doesn't deserve a bid doesn't mean anything. Your opinion isn't the deciding factor. When you say that "once you get the chance you cant lay an egg" that contradicts another point, as I'll show later.

Their schedule was more difficult that the teams that got left out. Plus, the selection takes place before the bowl games are played. The selections can only be based on what already happened. There is no way to factor in bowl results into the selections.

The committee didn't say the 13th data point was the reason TCU didn't get in. The committee said that TCU didn't get in because they had a weaker SOS that the other teams, and the other teams all had more wins over opponents who finished ranked. The committee only said that having a 13th data point could have helped TCU to close the gap in these metrics.

The difference with Ohio St is that last year, two P5 champions had 2 losses. In 2014, none of the P5 champs had more than one loss. Ohio St got help by other teams losing, which didn't happen to TCU.

Yes. You are making the assumption that there are teams out there which could have done better. In college football, it's not uncommon for one or two teams to be head and shoulders above the rest.

Ok, so then you can't say Ohio St losing the Fiesta bowl matters to the debate either. All this happened after the selections took place. It's just 20-20 hindsight. Ohio St got picked in 2014, and won the whole thing. In 2016, the lost. One time, the selection was "right," the other time it was "wrong." If the committee always knew the "right" teams to select every year, then there would be no point of having playoffs. We would just give the trophy to the "right" team at the end of the season, just like in the old days.

The 13th data was the main reason the committee gave for not letting TCU in, and still to this day I don't understand how the committee can claim its such an issue one year but not the next. Why do you think the Big 12 now has a Championship game? They were told they needed a 13th data point.

The good news is the same basic team OSU had last year is not getting in this year and Herbie can say anything about it now. We don't have to listen to this crap for another year.

Last edited:
Because everyone twists and rearranges the chips to fit their agenda. Particularly the College Football Pretzel committee that put in a team that finished THIRD in its own conference as one of the top four teams in the nation. And saw the wipeout that any idiot could see coming, so bad that tofu didn't even score a point. Oh, the humanity!
Well, said, the committee can shape the conversation so it justifies its decisions, and ESPN the owner of the playoff will never disagree with the outcomes. We as fans just left to take it or leave it. Btw, one could debate Washington didn't belong last year.

You continue to perpetuate this LIE about Ohio State's finish in the 2016 B1G standings, and I will be here to call you out for lying every single time that you do so. Ohio State finished in a FIRST PLACE TIE in the B1G East, and lost the tiebreaker to Penn State. The Buckeyes had a better B1G (and overall) record than every B1G school, other than Penn State, with which it tied at 8-1. Wisconsin was 7-2, and lost at home to Ohio State. Only in your world of delusion and hate of the Buckeyes was Ohio State a third-place team. Move along now.

You continue to perpetuate this LIE about Ohio State's finish in the 2016 B1G standings, and I will be here to call you out for lying every single time that you do so. Ohio State finished in a FIRST PLACE TIE in the B1G East, and lost the tiebreaker to Penn State. The Buckeyes had a better B1G (and overall) record than every B1G school, other than Penn State, with which it tied at 8-1. Wisconsin was 7-2, and lost at home to Ohio State. Only in your world of delusion and hate of the Buckeyes was Ohio State a third-place team. Move along now.
Sorry, tofu boy, but #1 and #2 played for the conference title. That made Ohio State #3, no matter how you want to twist the facts. Hey, maybe you can get on the College Football Pretzel committee since they put the 3rd place Ohio State team in the playoffs to not even score a point.

Next thing you know you will claim that the Iowa game was close. All that tofu must be getting to your brain. Being in 3rd place will do that.

Sorry, but just because you repeat the same lie as often as your nurse changes your diapers doesn't make it true. You have yet to cite one reputable source for your lie, even though you claim to have been some great sports journalist, which is a lie, too. Bring authority for your claim, or stop lying, as I'm not going anywhere.

Sorry, but just because you repeat the same lie as often as your nurse changes your diapers doesn't make it true. You have yet to cite one reputable source for your lie, even though you claim to have been some great sports journalist, which is a lie, too. Bring authority for your claim, or stop lying, as I'm not going anywhere.
I was trained in West Virginia not to get into a pissing match with a skunk. So I think I'll pass. You are hopeless anyway. You think the more you lie and the bigger you lie the more people will believe it. The classic Hitler technique. Great role model for you, tofu!

That's not the point. In general, why is it that one can make the argument that an early season loss is irrelevant because the team can be different at playoff selection time, but a big early season win should be considered a resume builder. If a bad loss can be brushed aside easily because it was early in the season, then it's only fair an early big win can be brpushed aside as easily. Specifically, how does one justify when an early game should really affect selection committee decisions and when is it irrelevant?

Because it's not being early in the season that's the deciding factor. You are adding that part in yourself. The committee simply doesn't abide by the "bad loss" concept like you and some other do. Anybody can go out and lose on an off day. That happens. However, just anybody can't go through a full year and beat several good teams. You might luck up one week (or conversely fall flat). You won't luck up (or fall flat) for an entire season. 2014 Ohio St is a prime example. They lost to a .500 Virginia Tech team, at home. However, Ohio St beat several good teams that season, and only lost the one game. That's the reason, not because the game was early in the season.

The 13th data was the main reason the committee gave for not letting TCU in, and still to this day I don't understand how the committee can claim its such an issue one year but not the next. Why do you think the Big 12 now has a Championship game? They were told they needed a 13th data point.

The good news is the same basic team OSU had last year is not getting in this year and Herbie can say anything about it now. We don't have to listen to this crap for another year.

No, the 13th data point was not the main reason the committee gave. That's just you going off inaccurate memory, rather than the actual facts. The committee said that TCU had a significantly lower strength of schedule than the other 4 teams, and they didn't beat as many ranked teams.

The issue of the 13th data point is that it provided the other teams an extra opportunity to beat a ranked team, and add to their SOS. In the 13th game, Ohio St beat a Wisconsin team that was ranked #13 and had 10-2 record. The 13th game gave Ohio St an opportunity to add Wisconsin to their resume and their SOS. Otherwise, they wouldn't have been able to do that, and their metrics would have been closer to TCU's. You simply don't remember this accurately.

I was trained in West Virginia not to get into a pissing match with a skunk. So I think I'll pass. You are hopeless anyway. You think the more you lie and the bigger you lie the more people will believe it. The classic Hitler technique. Great role model for you, tofu!

And there it is

A Hitler comparison

Old man has officially lost.

Rule #1 of the internet..... first to go Hitler loses

And still

To keep with OP’s logic.... if Ohio St wins the Big 10 conference championship game, they deserve to be in the Playoffs

Boy, for your sake..... I sure hope they don’t, because you won’t hear the end of it

The only real concern is why Clemson is still in the top 4.

There are several teams who deserve that spot more than Clemson - Oklahoma, Wisconsin, TCU to name a few. Those teams are still either undefeated or have one loss to at least a ranked team. Clemson's loss was to Syracuse. That loss alone should eliminate anyone from the discussion.
Victories over teams with a winning record:
Clemson = 6
Oklahoma = 3
TCU = 3
Wisconsin = 2

Clemson is deservedly in the top 4 because they probably have the best array of victories in the nation at this point, which is more than enough to outweigh a weaker loss.

Because it's not being early in the season that's the deciding factor. You are adding that part in yourself. The committee simply doesn't abide by the "bad loss" concept like you and some other do. Anybody can go out and lose on an off day. That happens. However, just anybody can't go through a full year and beat several good teams. You might luck up one week (or conversely fall flat). You won't luck up (or fall flat) for an entire season. 2014 Ohio St is a prime example. They lost to a .500 Virginia Tech team, at home. However, Ohio St beat several good teams that season, and only lost the one game. That's the reason, not because the game was early in the season.

No, the 13th data point was not the main reason the committee gave. That's just you going off inaccurate memory, rather than the actual facts. The committee said that TCU had a significantly lower strength of schedule than the other 4 teams, and they didn't beat as many ranked teams.

The issue of the 13th data point is that it provided the other teams an extra opportunity to beat a ranked team, and add to their SOS. In the 13th game, Ohio St beat a Wisconsin team that was ranked #13 and had 10-2 record. The 13th game gave Ohio St an opportunity to add Wisconsin to their resume and their SOS. Otherwise, they wouldn't have been able to do that, and their metrics would have been closer to TCU's. You simply don't remember this accurately.
lol, I think you just provided my point. The 13th data point was needed. Why do you think the Big 12 is adding a championship game? Not because they wanted to but because they were told they need a 13th data point (or as you say one more chance to beat a quality opponent).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT