ADVERTISEMENT

NOW can we stop pretending Ohio State deserves playoff consideration?

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
Surely, even the College Football Pretzel committee will stop pretending that Ohio State belongs anywhere near the 4-team playoff. 31-point loss to Iowa, which Iowa State took into overtime.

What will it take for the committee to admit that Alabama is #1? Regardless, the top 5 teams will be the same on Tuesday, no matter what order the committee puts them in, since they all won: Georgia, should-be-#1 Alabama, Notre Dame, Clemson and Oklahoma.

Think TCU will climb past Ohio State and Penn State, a pair of Big 10 losers? Ha!

As for Wisconsin: Big whoopee. They romped through Utah State (5-5 Mountain West team), Florida Atlantic (6-3 C-USA team), BYU (2-7), Northwestern (6-3), Nebraska (4-5), Purdue (4-5), Maryland (4-5), Illinois (2-7) and Indiana (3-6). Talk about a creampuff path to the Big 10 title game. WVU should be so lucky as to swap its Big 12 gauntlet for the Badgers' walk in the park.

#1 Georgia 24, South Carolina 10

#2 (ha!) Alabama 24, #19 LSU 10

#3 Notre Dame 48, Wake Forest 37

#4 Clemson 38, North Carolina State 31

#5 Oklahoma 62, #11 Oklahoma State 52

Iowa 55, #6 Ohio State 24

#24 Michigan State 27, #7 Penn State 24

#8 TCU 24, Texas 7

#9 Wisconsin 45, Indiana 17

#10 Miami 28, Virginia Tech 10

#12 Washington 38, Oregon 3 in 4th quarter

#14 Auburn 42, Texas A&M 27

West Virginia 20, #15 Iowa State 16

#16 Mississippi State 34, UMass 23

#17 Southern Cal 21, #22 Arizona (Rich’s team) 6 at halftime

#18 Central Florida 31, SMU 24

#23 Memphis 41, Tulsa 14

#25 Washington State 24, #21 Stanford 21

M istakes by special teams + absence of Simms & Long = loss to Virginia Tech, 31-24
O bliterated East Carolina, 56-20
U nhinged Delaware State, 59-16
N ot sharp but beat Kansas, 56-34
T ops statistically but tough loss to TCU, 31-24
A mbushed Texas Tech, 46-35, with 20:49 minute goose egg
I nvincible to inept, nipped Baylor, 38-36
N oxious offense deadly vs. Oklahoma State, 39-50
E arly lead behind offense, defense; survived Iowa State, 20-16
E erectile dysfunction Kansas State
R eam Texas
S hock Oklahoma

Surely, even the College Football Pretzel committee will stop pretending that Ohio State belongs anywhere near the 4-team playoff. 31-point loss to Iowa, which Iowa State took into overtime.

What will it take for the committee to admit that Alabama is #1? Regardless, the top 5 teams will be the same on Tuesday, no matter what order the committee puts them in, since they all won: Georgia, should-be-#1 Alabama, Notre Dame, Clemson and Oklahoma.

Think TCU will climb past Ohio State and Penn State, a pair of Big 10 losers? Ha!

As for Wisconsin: Big whoopee. They romped through Utah State (5-5 Mountain West team), Florida Atlantic (6-3 C-USA team), BYU (2-7), Northwestern (6-3), Nebraska (4-5), Purdue (4-5), Maryland (4-5), Illinois (2-7) and Indiana (3-6). Talk about a creampuff path to the Big 10 title game. WVU should be so lucky as to swap its Big 12 gauntlet for the Badgers' walk in the park.

#8 TCU 24, Texas 7

#23 Memphis 41, Tulsa 14

M istakes by special teams + absence of Simms & Long = loss to Virginia Tech, 31-24
R eam Texas
S hock Oklahoma

The ultimate pretender is Notre Dame. #3? Lol. What a joke.

Notre Dame overrated every year. It’s become embarrassing to even rank them. The program is garbage living in the past.

I agree 100%. They are still milking past glories.Then you have certain talking heads that really like pushing the ND agenda as well.

Only teams that I care to watch in the Big 10 are Nebraska and Wisconsin. To hell with Ohio State and PSU. It was a great day WVU won and Iowa stomped a mud hole in Ohio States ass and walked it dry.

I still think they need to expand the playoff field and at least give conference champs an auto bid. With odd schedules in the larger conferences, you see teams in stronger divisions beating one another. You also see this taking place almost every year in the big 12. Teams beat up on each other within their own conference and knock each other out of a playoff spot. Only fair way to handle this is by expanding the playoff field, providing auto bids to champs, and selecting wildcard teams.

Not to mention, it would compete with the NCAA basketball championship as one of the most popular sporting events each and every year.

Sure, as soon as CFE stops pretending that he is not an insanely jealous old fool who can only dream about national championships.

Then the 90 year old man needs to stop instigating arguments, especially when many of his arguments are factually incorrect.

Speaking of factually incorrect, I'm 85 today, not 90. So YOU are the guy who is so nasty as to try to keep a WVU fan from enjoying reading and posting on a WVU sports forum? Or at least an enabler. You must think Nazis and KKK are "nice guys," too. And I've had season tickets to Mountaineer Field for 20 years and donated thousands of dollars to my alma mater over and above tickets, parking, etc. What have YOU done for WVU? Or do you NOT put your money where your mouth is?

Sure, as soon as CFE stops pretending that he is not an insanely jealous old fool who can only dream about national championships.
Well, tofu, I'll give you credit for not being so ashamed to show up after Ohio State gets its clock cleaned ... again. This time by a team that Iowa State took into overtime. The same Iowa State team that WVU beat in Mountaineer Field on Saturday. Go back to crying in your tofu. Ohio University really got your alma mater's goat by registering "Ohio" for the Athens crowd, didn't it? Back to your grandma's basement, sonny boy. Let real football team's fans take over this board again.

Reactions: firkinEER
Speaking of factually incorrect, I'm 85 today, not 90. So YOU are the guy who is so nasty as to try to keep a WVU fan from enjoying reading and posting on a WVU sports forum? Or at least an enabler. You must think Nazis and KKK are "nice guys," too. And I've had season tickets to Mountaineer Field for 20 years and donated thousands of dollars to my alma mater over and above tickets, parking, etc. What have YOU done for WVU? Or do you NOT put your money where your mouth is?

The other poster was the one who said you were 90. I was simply responding to his comment.

I'm not trying to keep West Virginia fans from enjoying anything. If you can't enjoy reading and posting without falsehoods and misinformation, that's your problem. The fact is, you come on here and antagonize other posters, insult them when they challenge you, and use fabrications and inaccurate information to try to validate your arguments.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
Sorry CFE, didn't mean to age you prematurely! :wink::flyingwv:

The other poster was the one who said you were 90. I was simply responding to his comment.

I'm not trying to keep West Virginia fans from enjoying anything. If you can't enjoy reading and posting without falsehoods and misinformation, that's your problem. The fact is, you come on here and antagonize other posters, insult them when they challenge you, and use fabrications and inaccurate information to try to validate your arguments.
Thank goodness this thread isn't about cord cutting and cable network fees then.

#8 TCU 24, Texas 7

#23 Memphis 41, Tulsa 14

R eam Texas
S hock Oklahoma

Herbie doesn’t agree with you.

I have no love for Notre Dame and they do always get the benefit of the doubt, but they arent over-ranked this season.

They have a 20-point road win at Michigan State
A 35-point over ranked USC
A 21-point win over ranked NC State

And their loss is a one-point loss to the top team in the nation.

43 years of being a newspaper editor and 15 years as a sportswriter taught me to do my research before I post. Do I make mistakes. Sure. Everyone except you does. But I provide quality information and I seek reliable information from other posters who provide information that I didn't know. That's why most of us are on here, to learn about our beloved Mountaineers, not to cast stones at each other.

#8 TCU 24, Texas 7

#18 Central Florida 31, SMU

#8 TCU 24, Texas 7

#23 Memphis 41, Tulsa 14

R eam Texas
S hock Oklahoma

Apparently you haven't read rule 268 (new for this year) which states that the "highest rated team in Columbus, Ohio earns automatic qualification for the Championship Playoff Series."

Reactions: GoWVU
43 years of being a newspaper editor and 15 years as a sportswriter taught me to do my research before I post. Do I make mistakes. Sure. Everyone except you does. But I provide quality information and I seek reliable information from other posters who provide information that I didn't know. That's why most of us are on here, to learn about our beloved Mountaineers, not to cast stones at each other.

You don't provide quality information. You fabricate and cherrypick information to try to reinforce your opinions, which you try to portray as fact.

By the way, if you are here to learn about your "beloved Mountaineers," then you sure do spend a lot of time obfuscating that topic when go on an on about unrelated issues, like Ohio St getting into the playoffs, for example.

Apparently you haven't read rule 268 (new for this year) which states that the "highest rated team in Columbus, Ohio earns automatic qualification for the Championship Playoff Series."

Good one! And not that far off the mark. If Wisconsin gets in then we know the fix is in to have a Big 10 team in the playoffs.

M istakes by special teams + absence of Simms & Long = loss to Virginia Tech, 24-31

T ops statistically but tough loss to TCU, 24-31

E rectile dysfunction Kansas State

R eam Texas

S hock Oklahoma

You don't provide quality information. You fabricate and cherrypick information to try to reinforce your opinions, which you try to portray as fact.

By the way, if you are here to learn about your "beloved Mountaineers," then you sure do spend a lot of time obfuscating that topic when go on an on about unrelated issues, like Ohio St getting into the playoffs, for example.
So why are you here?

Miami should be ahead of everybody in the Big 10 and ahead of ND.

We'll have an indisputable evidence Saturday night.

M istakes by special teams + absence of Simms & Long = loss to Virginia Tech, 24-31

T ops statistically but tough loss to TCU, 24-31

E rectile dysfunction Kansas State

R eam Texas

S hock Oklahoma

I just want to point out that, keeping with the OP’s logic over the last 10 months towards Penn st deserving to get in last year over Ohio St.....

If Ohio St still makes it to the B10 championship and wins it with 2 losses....... they deserve to be in the Playoffs (per OP’s logic)

Naturally, he’s a flip flopped though now

The only real concern is why Clemson is still in the top 4.

There are several teams who deserve that spot more than Clemson - Oklahoma, Wisconsin, TCU to name a few. Those teams are still either undefeated or have one loss to at least a ranked team. Clemson's loss was to Syracuse. That loss alone should eliminate anyone from the discussion.

#8 TCU 24, Texas 7

#23 Memphis 41, Tulsa 14

R eam Texas
S hock Oklahoma

You really are to emotionally attached to the Big12 to be taken seriously

Where is that weirdo Ohio State fan who was telling me Ohio State was much better now then when they played OU.

Both Penn St and Ohio St lost today.

I knew both were frauds.

You realize Texas is pathetic and is a beta bitch to Oklahoma right? Agree with that and I’ll respect you. If you can’t admit that then you are a geek fan from Texas. Repeat after me. Texas sucks and Oklahoma owns the Big12.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
The only real concern is why Clemson is still in the top 4.

There are several teams who deserve that spot more than Clemson - Oklahoma, Wisconsin, TCU to name a few. Those teams are still either undefeated or have one loss to at least a ranked team. Clemson's loss was to Syracuse. That loss alone should eliminate anyone from the discussion.
Clemson would beat all the teams you mentioned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT