ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Neal Brown contract extension

The truth is Brown is 11-11 at WVU and 46-47 overall as a HC and for some reason WVU extended his contract by 2 years--6 years from now. That is odd to say the least. Especially considering they wouldn't extend the previous coach who was doing much better.
Buck, you idiot. Brown is 46-27 as a head coach............ NOT 46-47. Nice job of putting something misleading out there. Fake news!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Have to laugh and come to the realization that some high up are taking actions that seem quite strange and deserve an explanation. Holgorsen didn't do anything to justify an extension. But....um....Neal Brown won 5 games two years in a row including an fcs and Kansas two years running, soooo......ummm........
Holgorsen was offered an extension in 2016 with less of a buyout. He turned it down. The deal was to extend the years on Holgorsen’s contract while substantially lowering the buyout. Look it up dumbass.

Difference:

Coach A: Second winningest coach IN WVU HISTORY

Coach B: consistent 5 win producer in regular season two years running. Has won 0 games against 5 conference opponents in two years and only 1 game in two years vs. 6 conference opponents. Produced the worst rushing attack in major college football and the 8th worst drops in ALL of college football in 2 years. 2nd worst coach to date in WVU history.

See the difference? Open your eyes. I discussed Brown's results after poor results. Didn't say anything about him positive or negative before that as opposed to several of you who attacked the previous coach from the second he was announced.
Coach A: 8 years (produced and OB with somebody else's players. Couldn't win more than 8 games with one of the best offensive team in the country and decent defense.

Coach B: 22 games (rebuilding what Dana left behind)

See the difference.

All you have done is talk shit about Brown while kneeling and slobbering Dana. Go back to the other board and troll the forum called Big 12 Conference and cry about expansion.

Haven’t been here in a few months or so. I don’t guess I missed a lot.

I still stand by what I said on April 23rd after I read that the AD Shane Lyons gave the HC Neal Brown a 2 year contract extension and Salary Raise given his accomplishments—if that’s what they call 11-11 overall counting the two 1-aa tomato cans and 7-10 in the Big XII—through 2 seasons. The only mistake I said in that comment on 4/23 was Neal Brown still had 2 years left on the original deal before the 2 year contract extension. Neal Brown actually had 4 years left before the 2 year contract extension. Neal has got a contract for 5.5 season left now.

It’s sad to say but Shane Lyons has in fact used the Phil Fulmer playbook for head football coach contracts. Hope Neal does better than 3-4 wins in year 3 like Jeremy Pruitt. Sadly I didn’t expect more than 3-5 wins then and don’t expect it now. Thank the good Lord above Shane won a big award from his peers saying he’s such a good AD, otherwise he’d definitely be thought of as completely incompetent and needing to be fired on the tarmac when the plane lands from Waco.. Voicing an honest opinion on the WVU AD ignorance I had been watching time and time again got me criticized by some here so I decided to remove myself from the board.

I knew this season would be bad despite all the preseason BS from an in the RED financially strapped Athletic Dept, and it’s has played out about how I thought it would. I wish I would have been wrong but 5 decades of watching this game and enough years playing gives me some insight to this year especially with watching the last 2 seasons. Same mistakes week after week that should NEVER be happening in year 3. Still undisciplined, soft, and fundamentally lacking and a Head Coach & Staff that can’t make in game changes or have any order, bet hey he’s got a good agent who got him an unbelievable contract.

These performances and results are also a big part of why I didn’t do Pickm. I can’t pick WVU to win every week like I did for years when I know we have ABSOLUTELY no chance because we are at a huge deficit on the sidelines. I’m pretty sure in part it is why my buddy from Toronto isn’t around here. I won’t speak for him though.

In other home front news I did get my driveway paved, working on getting the pool area redone, barn expansion is finished, and my fishing/hunting & preseason scouting is going well. When a change in the regime is made at some mid to major level I may venture back here to again closely follow the Old Gold & Blue. But given the $20+ million it’s gonna take to do that, it probably won’t be soon..

Good luck & Godspeed to all.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
Coaches coach what they have on the roster. Brown is doing his best to resolve the MOUNT EVEREST of LIMITATIONS he inherited. Its just gonna take time before they are matured, developed, etc.

The magnitude of change required determines the amount of time needed to resolve.

Today was ugly, NO DOUBT, but to think the past 2.5 years is because Brown is a bad coach, without ANY liability being on the roster and what he inherited is disingenuous at best.

4 wins
9 Wins
6 Wins

Guess whos record that is for their first 3 years as an unproven D1 HC!

Coaches coach what they have on the roster. Brown is doing his best to resolve the MOUNT EVEREST of LIMITATIONS he inherited. Its just gonna take time before they are matured, developed, etc.

The magnitude of change required determines the amount of time needed to resolve.

Today was ugly, NO DOUBT, but to think the past 2.5 years is because Brown is a bad coach, without ANY liability being on the roster and what he inherited is disingenuous at best.

4 wins
9 Wins
6 Wins

We've regressed from last year and haven't improved all that much across 2.5 seasons. What have you seen on the field that gives you confidence Brown and Company are just a few right pieces away from contending for a conference championsh? Not saying it couldn't happen, but not a lot of evidence for it.

We've regressed from last year and haven't improved all that much across 2.5 seasons. What have you seen on the field that gives you confidence Brown and Company are just a few right pieces away from contending for a conference championsh? Not saying it couldn't happen, but not a lot of evidence for it.
I think some of this years poor performance is due to DC's not biting on any mis-direction. They have realized his limitations, they dont respect his arm, his feet, so they can pin their ears back and focus on Leddie.

I also think our OL while very talented, is also still very young. We also dont have ANY RB depth, not yet anyways, which should be resolved next year with Johnson, Anderson, & Williams, tho they will still be young.

Thats a problem.... When your most talented players are True Fresh, RedShirt Fresh, or Soph.... You must go through these "Growing pain" years...

There are certainly things Brown & Staff can improve, to be less predictable, more creative, but again some of that reverts back to roster+skillset+execution limitations.

I do think Brown will take us where we want to be. Even Dabo took a major step back in his 3rd year before turning it around. So with the talent Brown is getting to Morgantown, he deserves the chance to develop them and coach a team of experienced recruits specific to his schemes, concepts, & culture.

Until then, I really wont form strong opinions either way...

4 wins
9 Wins
6 Wins

WHAT EXCUSE DO YOU HAVE FOR NEAL BROWN'S ROLE IN TODAY'S CALAMITY AGAINST BAYLOR. WIDE OPEN BAYLOR RECEIVERS PLAYERS AFTER PLAY. INEPT OFFENSE BY WVU AGAIN.

Looks like this thread aged well. I never touched it when it was first posted because honestly I wasnt really hot on the extension idea at that point, but still had high hopes for Brown.

Right now this contract extension looks like a moronic thing to do by Shayne Lyons. I wish it would've never happened. It doesnt matter how good his recruiting classes are, the dude is a dud. I mean how long did it take for him to have one of his signature idiot timeouts early in the game in the ass whipping against Baylor? He's just not good enough to run a tight ship and be a P5 coach. This team has no identity or personality. After 2.5 years, it should be showing something. We get worse each year tho. The sooner he leaves the better. He's setting this program back.

Looks like this thread aged well. I never touched it when it was first posted because honestly I wasnt really hot on the extension idea at that point, but still had high hopes for Brown.

Right now this contract extension looks like a moronic thing to do by Shayne Lyons. I wish it would've never happened. It doesnt matter how good his recruiting classes are, the dude is a dud. I mean how long did it take for him to have one of his signature idiot timeouts early in the game in the ass whipping against Baylor? He's just not good enough to run a tight ship and be a P5 coach. This team has no identity or personality. After 2.5 years, it should be showing something. We get worse each year tho. The sooner he leaves the better. He's setting this program back.
I am on the same page with you. I was never high on hiring Lyons, but after suffering through the Pastilong years, anyone would seem to be a step up. I don't count Luck for much, the man is as fickle as the day is long. He spends less time on a job than a fart swirling in the breeze before he moves on. But, when he hired Brown, I thought maybe we have turned on the corner on hiring second rate coaches and paying them first rate salaries.

Then we had the Vic fiasco and all of the mafia style coverup that came after. WVU then plastered BLM stickers on everything and I withdrew every cent I was sending them for services and donations. I do not support racist, terrorist organizations. Then the High Street revelation and burned my bridge with Brown. Oddly, you can't find much video of the event...WVU has scrubbed that from the internet.

Even so, Brown is probably a decent Sunbelt Coach but he cannot do the job at this level no matter how many years of on the job training we give him. This is not the WVU School For Coaching 101.

I am on the same page with you. I was never high on hiring Lyons, but after suffering through the Pastilong years, anyone would seem to be a step up. I don't count Luck for much, the man is as fickle as the day is long. He spends less time on a job than a fart swirling in the breeze before he moves on. But, when he hired Brown, I thought maybe we have turned on the corner on hiring second rate coaches and paying them first rate salaries.

Then we had the Vic fiasco and all of the mafia style coverup that came after. WVU then plastered BLM stickers on everything and I withdrew every cent I was sending them for services and donations. I do not support racist, terrorist organizations. Then the High Street revelation and burned my bridge with Brown. Oddly, you can't find much video of the event...WVU has scrubbed that from the internet.

Even so, Brown is probably a decent Sunbelt Coach but he cannot do the job at this level no matter how many years of on the job training we give him. This is not the WVU School For Coaching 101.
What was the High Street incident? I can’t seem to remember.

Otherwise, excellent post.

Agree--don't see how he gets to five wins.

Remaining:

@TCU
ISU
OK State
@K State
Texas
@Kansas

Honestly--maybe one win there?
I would say the Kansas game is a gimme but it is at Kansas so they could be fired up for it. Other than that, I don’t see any wins left on the schedule.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I would say the Kansas game is a gimme but it is at Kansas so they could be fired up for it. Other than that, I don’t see any wins left on the schedule.
You also haven't seen anything outside of Boone County either inbred...your opinion is worthless.

GFY.

What is it with you racists? What do you not get? Koening made racist remarks to players while on the job in the WVU locker room. And radical right wing political rants.

That is NOT OK. Will get you fired anywhere in the country. Violates school policy and really just common sense and decency.

You'd really have to be a moron to not understand that will not be an acceptable part of your job duties. The school did not do anything wrong by firing that racist idiot, it did what it had to do.

Now, just because you are a racist and don't care that another racist does things that hurt other people--especially THE WVU PLAYERS WITHOUT WHOM NO TEAM EXISTS, that doesn't make what he did some honorable, commendable thing. It was disgusting and horrid and shameful and has no place at WVU, especially when done by someone being paid by the university in his official capacity. Stop pretending that was ok and WVU was wrong to can the asshat immediately.

There was no coverup, just a racist bigot that had to immediately be dealt with. You idiots can't just do whatever you want to everyone else without repurcussion and no one gives a damn if you like it or not--who the F do you think you are? Turn the shoe around and have a person of color saying something about a caucasian and you idiots are screaming bloody murder--like when Pat White called out the racist baseball coach that wouldn't allow black players on the team. Or really in this situation where you attack the players that called out the racist actions of that bigoted coach Koening. Somehow in your twisted world the players are wrong for calling out that bigot? The school is wrong for taking the action he forced them to take? Why exactly would that be?

Clear as day.

Last edited:
#TROLL Brown inherited an absolute shit show, literally one of the youngest teams in all of D1 with very little talent recruited by previous staff, literally the only impact player was 1..... 1 OL... Year 2 saw one of the most improved teams in all of D1. Recruiting & overall talent levels are taking massive improvements, which Lyons sees where we are headed under Brown, as this better talent are still extremely young, and likely feels future outcomes are positive and warrant securing further time to build into a CONSISTENT program. Frankly this is a brilliant move to lock Brown up now on the cheap, compared to waiting after an 8-10 win season within the next two years... This also further helps Brown & staff recruit. Also, Brown has outperformed ALL WVU projections in both years, hes also beat a ranked team while being unranked. They also won a bowl game, which is more then the previous staff could do..

When you look at the True Fresh & Redshirt Freshmen classes, their upside is higher then any other class DH recruited, esp considering they are consecutive classes, Browns first two classes. It takes time to turn such a garbage program around, which is what DH left after 8 years to "build".. I could very well argue DH actually left the program in worse condition from a talent perspective then when he arrived.

We should be counting our blessings to have a coach like Brown building WVU. If you dont support our coach, then we dont want you... Go support the Herd.. I seriously doubt you're an actual WVU fan anyway... So many trolls here who just want to spread negativity because they see Brown's quality... This is the first time in a very long while WVUFamily is united behind our HC. So go bathe in your own BS, cause that $hit is flushed here..
This is an older post, I know. However, trashing a long time poster and old school fan in 3xwvuengineer is not a good look. This is definitely not one of your best posts.

As for a “United WVU family”, doesn’t look that way anymore, especially considering how the AD and Kneel Brown treats former players. But there is plenty of grape Flavor-Aid to go around for the homers.

Reactions: KingCoal
It's always great to see a "fellow WVU fan" resort to the same name calling used by pitt, vpi, and bc fans.

You're a fvcking prick.
Go **** yourself douchebag. You know zero about this situation so keep your ****ing nose out of it.

skyhawk isnt even a WVU fan numb nuts.

• Haha
Reactions: .Bodhi.
You guys can not discuss sports. Wow. I am done. You guys make Mountaineer Gooch and HPeer look like quality posters on the Blue Lot.
I have tried to discuss sports. Anytime you try to discuss anything here, anti WVU trolls Rootmaster, Allen, Greg Jacobs, the Bell Tolls for Thee etc. are there and spewing their venomous crap and destroying the board.

Worst board of any college I've ever visited.

Last edited:
I have tried to discuss sports. Anytime you try to discuss anything here, anti WVU trolls Rootmaster, Allen, Greg Jacobs etc. are there and spewing their venomous crap and destroying the board.

Worst board of any college I've ever visited.

Oh good, then you can **** right off to those "other better boards" and discuss sports as a "WVU fan"

You first idiot

I can't. I don't have a list of "other" boards that are better to retreat to like you claim to. Why do you stay here if all there is here is venom? Also, its just embarrassing when an incoherent, illogical imbecile claims his intellectual betters to be "idiots". Note these intellectual betters are by no means genius level, it's just that it only takes enough brain power to dimly flicker a bulb to best you Bucky. In other words, to be your intellectual better is such a low bar to clear that even someone of far below the average in intelligence can still clear it. Now run along to Google to look up the definitions of some of those multisyllabic ... I mean, "big" words I used.

What is it with you racists? What do you not get? Koening made racist remarks to players while on the job in the WVU locker room. And radical right wing political rants.

That is NOT OK. Will get you fired anywhere in the country. Violates school policy and really just common sense and decency.

You'd really have to be a moron to not understand that will not be an acceptable part of your job duties. The school did not do anything wrong by firing that racist idiot, it did what it had to do.

Now, just because you are a racist and don't care that another racist does things that hurt other people--especially THE WVU PLAYERS WITHOUT WHOM NO TEAM EXISTS, that doesn't make what he did some honorable, commendable thing. It was disgusting and horrid and shameful and has no place at WVU, especially when done by someone being paid by the university in his official capacity. Stop pretending that was ok and WVU was wrong to can the asshat immediately.

There was no coverup, just a racist bigot that had to immediately be dealt with. You idiots can't just do whatever you want to everyone else without repurcussion and no one gives a damn if you like it or not--who the F do you think you are? Turn the shoe around and have a person of color saying something about a caucasian and you idiots are screaming bloody murder--like when Pat White called out the racist baseball coach that wouldn't allow black players on the team. Or really in this situation where you attack the players that called out the racist actions of that bigoted coach Koening. Somehow in your twisted world the players are wrong for calling out that bigot? The school is wrong for taking the action he forced them to take? Why exactly would that be?

Clear as day.

Kneel Brown marched at an anti-police, pro-socialism rally, should have been fired...was much worse than what VK did.

Kneel is a radical who is only using WVU to push his alt-left politics on the fans.

Clear as day.

Shame and Kneel covered up the non-existent "independent investigation" then deferred power to the diversity committee....they let a player run the athletic department, fired a good coach then used WVU football as a tool to fundraise for BLM/Democrats during an election year.....

Reactions: Charleston Mountie
BLM is not racist idiots, its ANTI racists. Its also not Marxist.

BLM exists to end the racism that black (and other) Americans face daily and across the nation in the form of murder and harassment and unequal treatment--often at the hands of law enforcement and then the subsequent lack of justice in the legal system for those who have perpetrated violence and illegal acts against people of color --usually for no reason other than racism.

Rethuglicans and right wing radicals who hate America, but love the Russian oligarchy and fascism are behind the false narrative of what BLM is and stands for. They want everyone to overlook that a disproportianate number of black people especially are the subjects of excessive force and killing at the hands of police--and no we aren't talking about criminals, just everyday people harmed because these radicals hate the color of their skin. And the lack of justice in the court system these citizens recieve.

It needs to stop and so does the radical spewing of right wing anti American Nazi's on this message board. Take your hate to hell with you and where all of you are bound for.

I can't. I don't have a list of "other" boards that are better to retreat to like you claim to. Why do you stay here if all there is here is venom? Also, its just embarrassing when an incoherent, illogical imbecile claims his intellectual betters to be "idiots". Note these intellectual betters are by no means genius level, it's just that it only takes enough brain power to dimly flicker a bulb to best you Bucky. In other words, to be your intellectual better is such a low bar to clear that even someone of far below the average in intelligence can still clear it. Now run along to Google to look up the definitions of some of those multisyllabic ... I mean, "big" words I used.
LOL. Not one of you idiots has ever or will ever "best" me in anything intellectual because not one of you has any intellect, nor do you pay any attention to reality or fact. You are base human fascist fools with nary an intelligent thought amongst the lot of you.

Kneel Brown marched at an anti-police, pro-socialism rally, should have been fired...was much worse than what VK did.

Kneel is a radical who is only using WVU to push his alt-left politics on the fans.
Anti-police--or anti BAD policing (as in those who murder and assault innocent people of color because they are racist?) Context matters. I don't like Neal Brown as a head coach because he isn't winning, but the man isn't "anti-police" he is against MURDER and ASSAULT and HARRASMENT--not because someone actually did something wrong to warrant that sick behavior, but because of the hate filled monsters like you perpetrating unpunished crimes against American citizens.

Socialism? You mean like equal justice, equal housing, social security, healthcare, medicare? Yeah those are soooo horrible. I'm sure everyone would rather have Hitler II running everything in a lawless, Godless country where only wealthy suck ups have any rights. Hint--you won't be one of them.

BLM exists to end the racism that black (and other) Americans face daily and across the nation in the form of murder and harassment and unequal treatment--often at the hands of law enforcement and then the subsequent lack of justice in the legal system for those who have perpetrated violence and illegal acts against people of color --usually for no reason other than racism.

Rethuglicans and right wing radicals who hate America, but love the Russian oligarchy and fascism are behind the false narrative of what BLM is and stands for. They want everyone to overlook that a disproportianate number of black people especially are the subjects of excessive force and killing at the hands of police--and no we aren't talking about criminals, just everyday people harmed because these radicals hate the color of their skin. And the lack of justice in the court system these citizens recieve.

It needs to stop and so does the radical spewing of right wing anti American Nazi's on this message board. Take your hate to hell with you and where all of you are bound for.

The BLM founders openly call themselves Marxists...its a fact.

Kneel Brown leads marches for organizations founded by Marxists....its a fact.

Anti-police--or anti BAD policing (as in those who murder and assault innocent people of color because they are racist?) Context matters. I don't like Neal Brown as a head coach because he isn't winning, but the man isn't "anti-police" he is against MURDER and ASSAULT and HARRASMENT--not because someone actually did something wrong to warrant that sick behavior, but because of the hate filled monsters like you perpetrating unpunished crimes against American citizens.

Socialism? You mean like equal justice, equal housing, social security, healthcare, medicare? Yeah those are soooo horrible. I'm sure everyone would rather have Hitler II running everything in a lawless, Godless country where only wealthy suck ups have any rights. Hint--you won't be one of them.

You are correct that Kneel Brown is a very awful football coach, but he is also a Marxist who hates police officers who led anti-pice marches.

He is a divisive person who openly hates WVU fans...

It needs to stop and so does the radical spewing of right wing anti American Nazi's on this message board. Take your hate to hell with you.

You know nothing of what you speak. BLM leadership has stated openly they are Marxist. BLM included in their manifest extraneous left leaning talking points like anti-Isreal demands. BLM ignores that less unarmed black men were killed than white men in 2019. BLM ignores that a white person is MORE likely to be shot unarmed by a police officer per police encounter than a black person. BLM ignores that in 2020 less than 15 unarmed black men were killed by police. Many of those were fighting at the time and at least one was using a car as a weapon. BLM claims obviously justified uses of force such as the Bryant or Blake cases warrant massive protests that breed riotous behavior.

BLM believes in "anti-rascism" which does not mean the same thing as not being a racist. It means being an activist for what BLM says you must be an activist for lest you be guilty of racism. If you are a white Appalachian male from a long line of generational poverty without a single college educated member you are still to acknowledge your privilege and take a back seat to a college educated, multi generational middle class or better "marginalized" group. As the great thinker Ibram X Kendi writes in his book "How to be an anti-rascist" ... "The only cure for past discrimination is current discrimination." Aka BLM believes people of certain skin colors regardless of whether their family has any direct ties to oppression should be able to negatively discriminate AND have systemic structures in government that enforce that discrimination against people with differing skin colors regardless of latter's personal or family ties to past oppressors. The esteemed Kendi also postulates that where there is disparity, there must be racism. He and BLM of course take exception to this rule if the disparity shows positive over representation of minorities such as sports or entertainment media. BLM ignores that high rates of single motherhood results in poor outcomes for EVERY racial group in the US. Two parent black households have a 7% chance of being below the poverty line while a single white mother has a 22% chance to be below the poverty line. High rates of substance abuse results in poor outcomes for EVERY racial group. Low respect for education and civic duty results in poor outcomes for EVERY racial group. BLM ignores that behaviors of individuals as even affecting outcomes and just points 100% to "racism with the system"

So here we are where a white, "educated" (aka indoctrinated) liberal such as yourself is calling me a racist for not supporting an organization that openly wants government power to give advantages and disadvantages to individuals based upon their race. I'm advocating for a system that protects the ultimate minority which is the individual. Each individual whether they be black, white, Hispanic, Asian, woman, gay, transgender, etc... or any combination there of. A system that allows freedom of individuals to make personal choices and to either suffer the loss or reap the rewards of those choices. A system that despite your claims of racism has allowed Asians and even black Nigerian immigrants to prosper more than whites. A system where the day to day actions you take have more impact on your life than government enforced policies. A system where Asians are dropped into the same bigotry and ghettos as other groups, but personal life decisions allow them to nearly universally rise out of that poverty over the generations despite having the same disadvantages. A system that doesn't reward continued patterns of negative behavior by forcibly distributing the negative consequences of those behaviors amongst everyone thus breeding and subsidizing more of that negative behavior. A system where the terrible decisions to embrace debauchery and substance abuse while eschewing civic duty and critical thinking results in negative outcomes. A system that shows these things result I'm generational negative outcomes as it has in rural Appalachia just as much as the racially different inner cities.

Reactions: Charleston Mountie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT