ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Neal Brown contract extension

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – West Virginia University Director of Athletics and Associate Vice President Shane Lyons has announced a two-year contract extension for football head coach Neal Brown that will run through the 2026 season.

"Coach Brown and I are committed to the future success of our football program," Lyons said. "I am pleased with the upward trajectory of the program and its culture. Our student-athletes have excelled on the field and in the classroom, and the overall leadership of Mountaineer football is strong."

With four years remaining on the original agreement, the extension now puts Brown under contract for the next six seasons. In total, the six-year contract is worth $23.85 million with an average yearly salary of $3,975,000 million over the length of the six-year deal. Brown also will be eligible to receive increased annual performance incentives, if met, and the salary commitment to his coaching staff has been increased to $4 million.

"I want to thank President Gee, Shane and Keli Zinn for their unwavering support of our football program. I also want to thank our players, coaches and staff for their commitment and dedication to West Virginia University," Brown said. "As we enter year three, I look forward to getting our fans back in the stadium and building on the momentum we have going in our program."

In his second season at West Virginia, Brown led the Mountaineers to a 6-4 record and a victory over Army in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl. His team went undefeated at home and produced the first consensus All-American at West Virginia since 2006. Statistically in year two under Brown, West Virginia made the most improvement nationally in total offense and total defense combined than any other team in the country.

I figured this would happen since he won the bowl game in year two. Going to bode well with recruiting. Kudos to Shane for getting this done. Trust the Climb.
If fast Eddy was still here Brown would have been Lucky to get this even if we went to a New years six bowl game in year 2.

Yeah the lads have been tripping back to one of the old January 1st extravaganzas every year under Shane's umbrella. Probably due to the Social Justice and Inclusion Committee guidance though.

Yeah the lads have been tripping back to one of the old January 1st extravaganzas every year under Shane's umbrella. Probably due to the Social Justice and Inclusion Committee guidance though.
this is 100% good ole boys club in action here. No social justice or inclusion played a part.

Yeah who can ever forget that pristine performance against national juggernaut Army in the what was it called again bowl game.
It was a win. Something that hasn't happened in a bowl game for some time now.

If fast Eddy was still here Brown would have been Lucky to get this even if we went to a New years six bowl game in year 2.
Remember, it was Fast Eddie who made the 3am hire of Gomer. It was Fast Eddie who hired Jockitch after turning down Beilein. It was Fast Eddie who had a gun held to his head by Uncle Joe in order for the Marshall football series to happen. It was Fast Eddie who sat back on his hands saying nothing while Marshall got half the gate from the basketball game being played in Charleston while only providing 1/3rd of the crowd. Under Fast Eddie, Raese was getting rich off the broadcast rights while WVU was getting pennies on the dollar. Under Fast Eddie, Uncle Joe was defacto AD while Heather's boyfriend Garrison handed her a bogus eMBA degree. Need I go on about your hero Fast Eddie Pasthisprime?

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Remember, it was Fast Eddie who made the 3am hire of Gomer. It was Fast Eddie who hired Jockitch after turning down Beilein. It was Fast Eddie who had a gun held to his head by Uncle Joe in order for the Marshall football series to happen. It was Fast Eddie who sat back on his hands saying nothing while Marshall got half the gate from the basketball game being played in Charleston while only providing 1/3rd of the crowd. Under Fast Eddie, Raese was getting rich off the broadcast rights while WVU was getting pennies on the dollar. Under Fast Eddie, Uncle Joe was defacto AD while Heather's boyfriend Garrison handed her a bogus eMBA degree. Need I go on about your hero Fast Eddie Pasthisprime?
You certainly included most of the couple decade old barstool myths in your post lol. My bet is you've been past your prime for quite a while now. BTW your wife agrees with that assessment.

Seems they are waiting until the next round of realignment and potential expansion has passed. The BIG 12 current contracts will be up for renewal in 2025.

If Brown does not turn around the lousy coaching effort so far then WVU football and athletics could be in huge trouble.

A guy who is 11-11 overall, 9-11 vs FBS, and 7-10 in the Big XII Conference with no MARQUI/Statement wins after 2 seasons gets a 2 year contract extension with 2 years left on the current contract for that level of success? WOW?????? Not playing/losing to Oklahoma in 2020 because the game was canceled due to COV19 was probably a 2 year bonus for Brown. COV19 benefitted him.

I didn’t know Shane Lyons was using the Phil Fulmer guide to being an AD with a football coach’s contract extension. Jeremy Pruitt after 2 seasons was 13-12 overall, 11-12 vs FBS, and 7-8 in conference. After an embarrassing and dismal 3-7 in year 3 and a recruiting scandal (which Tennessee knew nothing about in years 1 & 2 ——Wink Wink Nod Nod), Pruitt was Fired!

The only positive for me I see from this is it all but guarantees the Dick down in LA will be less likely to sneak his way back in for a 2.0 run. Then again after this season which I think won’t be above 0.500, it may mean a house cleaning sooner if it’s a total disaster. I hope Lyons is canned more than Brown and not just for this but this is a stupid financial decision/commitment.

Universities and Government have to be amongst the dumbest places where financial decisions are made. Well there and the guaranteed contracts in pro sports.

Seems they are waiting until the next round of realignment and potential expansion has passed. The BIG 12 current contracts will be up for renewal in 2025.

If Brown does not turn around the lousy coaching effort so far then WVU football and athletics could be in huge trouble.
Lack of knowledge makes you a poor troll.

A guy who is 11-11 overall, 9-11 vs FBS, and 7-10 in the Big XII Conference with no MARQUI/Statement wins after 2 seasons gets a 2 year contract extension with 2 years left on the current contract for that level of success? WOW?????? Not playing/losing to Oklahoma in 2020 because the game was canceled due to COV19 was probably a 2 year bonus for Brown. COV19 benefitted him.

I didn’t know Shane Lyons was using the Phil Fulmer guide to being an AD with a football coach’s contract extension. Jeremy Pruitt after 2 seasons was 13-12 overall, 11-12 vs FBS, and 7-8 in conference. After an embarrassing and dismal 3-7 in year 3 and a recruiting scandal (which Tennessee knew nothing about in years 1 & 2 ——Wink Wink Nod Nod), Pruitt was Fired!

The only positive for me I see from this is it all but guarantees the Dick down in LA will be less likely to sneak his way back in for a 2.0 run. Then again after this season which I think won’t be above 0.500, it may mean a house cleaning sooner if it’s a total disaster. I hope Lyons is canned more than Brown and not just for this but this is a stupid financial decision/commitment.

Universities and Government have to be amongst the dumbest places where financial decisions are made. Well there and the guaranteed contracts in pro sports.
Support the move 100%. Don't give a damn if nobody else does. WVU will win 7 games this season.

Personally I think this was a year early but still support it.

Reactions: lenny4wvu and RAK
A poster that bashed the previous staff for averaging 7 wins (which they surpassed at times) celebrating a 5 win coaches record. Classic.

I'm still curious to see where 7 wins this season are coming from?

Saturday
Sep. 4
Maryland Football Schedule at Maryland Terrapins Maryland Stadium, College Park, MD L
Saturday
Sep. 11
LIU Sharks Football Schedule LIU Sharks Mountaineer Field, Morgantown, WV W
Saturday
Sep. 18
Virginia Tech Football Schedule Virginia Tech Hokies Mountaineer Field, Morgantown, WV L
Saturday
Sep. 25
Oklahoma Football Schedule at Oklahoma Sooners Gaylord Family OK Mem. Stadium, Norman, OK L
Saturday
Oct. 2
Texas Tech Football Schedule Texas Tech Red Raiders Mountaineer Field, Morgantown, WV toss up
Saturday
Oct. 9
Baylor Football Schedule at Baylor Bears McLane Stadium, Waco, TX toss up
Saturday
Oct. 16
OFF
Saturday
Oct. 23
TCU Football Schedule at TCU Horned Frogs Amon G. Carter Stadium, Fort Worth, TX toss up
Saturday
Oct. 30
Iowa State Football Schedule Iowa State Cyclones Mountaineer Field, Morgantown, WV L
Saturday
Nov. 6
Oklahoma State Cowboys Football Schedule Oklahoma State Cowboys Mountaineer Field, Morgantown, WV L
Saturday
Nov. 13
Kansas State Football Schedule at Kansas State Wildcats Bill Snyder Family Stadium, Manhattan, KS toss up
Saturday
Nov. 20
Texas Football Schedule Texas Longhorns Mountaineer Field, Morgantown, WV L
Saturday
Nov. 27
Kansas Football Schedule at Kansas Jayhawks David Booth Kansas Mem. Stadium, Lawrence, KS W

So two likely wins, several likely losses and several toss ups--5 wins will be dependent on beating 3 of Virginia Tech, TCU, Baylor, Kansas State and Texas Tech. All but two of those on the road and WVU didn't win a road game last year.

Last edited:
Support the move 100%. Don't give a damn if nobody else does. WVU will win 7 games this season.

Personally I think this was a year early but still support it.
Wow WVU has fallen to such a low point that some fans see a 7 win...out of 12 or 13 games lol...as the definition of success. Participation trophies for everybody!

11-11 it's been 22 games and a pandemic. Give your bullshit a rest.
Win one...lose one...win one...lose one...etc. Now that's the kind if results that need some candy. Too funny. Mediocre at best. Throw out the annual guve me game and a loser's record.

Win one...lose one...win one...lose one...etc. Now that's the kind if results that need some candy. Too funny. Mediocre at best. Throw out the annual guve me game and a loser's record.
Fire a coach wait a year fire a coach wait a year fire a coach wait a year fire a coach. Now that's the kind of recipe for self destruction. Too funny. Fans like you are ass hats.
You hate WVU this much then freaking leave. It's that simple clown.

Wow WVU has fallen to such a low point that some fans see a 7 win...out of 12 or 13 games lol...as the definition of success. Participation trophies for everybody!
Wow some are so dense they see 13, 13 or 14 wins every year.

Your participation trophy comments make no freaking sense at all. Leave the damn board ass hat.

Reactions: still5-0vstarheels
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – West Virginia University Director of Athletics and Associate Vice President Shane Lyons has announced a two-year contract extension for football head coach Neal Brown that will run through the 2026 season.

"Coach Brown and I are committed to the future success of our football program," Lyons said. "I am pleased with the upward trajectory of the program and its culture. Our student-athletes have excelled on the field and in the classroom, and the overall leadership of Mountaineer football is strong."

With four years remaining on the original agreement, the extension now puts Brown under contract for the next six seasons. In total, the six-year contract is worth $23.85 million with an average yearly salary of $3,975,000 million over the length of the six-year deal. Brown also will be eligible to receive increased annual performance incentives, if met, and the salary commitment to his coaching staff has been increased to $4 million.

"I want to thank President Gee, Shane and Keli Zinn for their unwavering support of our football program. I also want to thank our players, coaches and staff for their commitment and dedication to West Virginia University," Brown said. "As we enter year three, I look forward to getting our fans back in the stadium and building on the momentum we have going in our program."

In his second season at West Virginia, Brown led the Mountaineers to a 6-4 record and a victory over Army in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl. His team went undefeated at home and produced the first consensus All-American at West Virginia since 2006. Statistically in year two under Brown, West Virginia made the most improvement nationally in total offense and total defense combined than any other team in the country.

Not exactly thrilled about this. Curious about the buyout stipulations for both sides. Brown has potential, but I'm not sure his performance in the first 2 years warrant an additional 6 year commitment from the University.

Reactions: JRZEER
It is always wise for a college to have its head coach with at least a 5-year contract in his pocket, for recruiting purposes. Buyout and coaching leaving clauses hide deep in the contract but offset some of that usually. I have no problem with it. Now let's see if The Climb continues. So far, the jury is out ... in my head. Could go either way. Sure hope Neal Brown exceeds his 6-4 season in 2021! Long Island is a gift, just like Kansas. If Brown can win 6 of the other 10, then 8-4 is possible, and an improvement. NOT predicting, just musing. I'll be in Mountaineer Field in my usual seats for my 31st year! Can't wait!

Reactions: lenny4wvu and Euell
Boooooo.....

The three of them all need to get a bus ticket out of Morgantown.

Shame Lyings, Kneel Brown...cya later

Last edited:
Reactions: JRZEER
Not exactly thrilled about this. Curious about the buyout stipulations for both sides. Brown has potential, but I'm not sure his performance in the first 2 years warrant an additional 6 year commitment from the University.

WVU doesn't care about winning anymore.

Kneel Brown plays the SJW card, and that's the only thing WVU cares about. He can win 5 games for the next decade, it doesn't matter.

During his own extension, when Shame leaked crap to the media to discredit DH during negotiations, and DH came in hard with a 10 win season, and forced Shame Lyings hand...

I guess you dont pay attention...Chris
Link? Shane Lyons only gave Dana an extension because he won 10 games. Before Dana's 2016 season there was no other reason to. Luck Hamstrung wvu by over proectecting Dana in the 1st place. Its obvious you don't know anything about contracts loser

WVU doesn't care about winning anymore.

Kneel Brown plays the SJW card, and that's the only thing WVU cares about. He can win 5 games for the next decade, it doesn't matter.
Any other previous coach and AD would have done the same thing that Brown and Lyons did. Every other school would have as well.

Link? Shane Lyons only gave Dana an extension because he won 10 games. Before Dana's 2016 season there was no other reason to. Luck Hamstrung wvu by over proectecting Dana in the 1st place. Its obvious you don't know anything about contracts loser

Before he won 10 games, Shame tried to poison the well during negotiations, find the information for yourself...it was discussed on this board ad nauseam.

If you aren't aware, then you don't really follow WVU.

ADVERTISEMENT