ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Neal Brown contract extension

Before he won 10 games, Shame tried to poison the well during negotiations, find the information for yourself...it was discussed on this board ad nauseam.

If you aren't aware, then you don't really follow WVU.
Unless you're sitting at the table then you don't know what was actually discussed. Its not like I'd go around quoting message board philosphers who are only speculating what happened. Dana got an extension because he won 10 games. Before that he didn't do anything to deserve one. There are quite a few AD's that would have fired his A$$ after the 2015 season. Everyone tries to postion themselves well before negotiations its part of the business process.

Unless you're sitting at the table then you don't know what was actually discussed. Its not like I'd go around quoting message board philosphers who are only speculating what happened. Dana got an extension because he won 10 games. Before that he didn't do anything to deserve one. There are quite a few AD's that would have fired his A$$ after the 2015 season. Everyone tries to postion themselves well before negotiations its part of the business process.

Sorry, I'm smart and can actually think for myself. Shame got worked and that's a fact.

Shame was scared to pay DH's buyout and fire him, so he tried to sabotage him in the public, then DH came in with a 10 win season...those are the FACTS. Lurch tried to play poker and lost his hand..

Shame looked silly and everyone but his ball-washers know it.

Only thing Neal Brown is woke about is that college coaches have to keep it cool with their players
Don't know anything about Neal Brown's politics. Don't particularly care who he voted for. Could have written in Mickey Mouse. Only thing that matters is winning football games. .

Calling him a SJW.
Not really thinking for yourself.

Have to laugh and come to the realization that some high up are taking actions that seem quite strange and deserve an explanation. Holgorsen didn't do anything to justify an extension. But....um....Neal Brown won 5 games two years in a row including an fcs and Kansas two years running, soooo......ummm........

Troy was 4-8 in Brown's first year....year three they were 11-2.

WVU was 5-7 in Brown's first year.....he decreased the loss total by three this past season....
Year three....if he decreases the loss total again we will be a 10-win team.

Guy knows how to win bowl games too....a perfect 4-0.

People can spin 11-11 overall all they want, he dodged a bullet with Oklahoma or he would have been 11-12 more than likely, his offense is one dimensional, he hasn't shown the ability to develop an offensive line.

He has a bottom tier bowl win against a triple option service academy with restrictions on how heavy their players can be, he needed Kendall to bail him out in that game, his play calling and game planning is on a Stewart level, his team's play undisciplined, his team's don't execute.

Great for the Brown crowd! Celebrate and rejoice. Fact. If he wins less than 7 games this season and struggles to do that his seat is on fire.

Lol at any waterhead calling someone a troll who dare question the decision to extend a .500 coach. L

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – West Virginia University Director of Athletics and Associate Vice President Shane Lyons has announced a two-year contract extension for football head coach Neal Brown that will run through the 2026 season.

"Coach Brown and I are committed to the future success of our football program," Lyons said. "I am pleased with the upward trajectory of the program and its culture. Our student-athletes have excelled on the field and in the classroom, and the overall leadership of Mountaineer football is strong."

With four years remaining on the original agreement, the extension now puts Brown under contract for the next six seasons. In total, the six-year contract is worth $23.85 million with an average yearly salary of $3,975,000 million over the length of the six-year deal. Brown also will be eligible to receive increased annual performance incentives, if met, and the salary commitment to his coaching staff has been increased to $4 million.

"I want to thank President Gee, Shane and Keli Zinn for their unwavering support of our football program. I also want to thank our players, coaches and staff for their commitment and dedication to West Virginia University," Brown said. "As we enter year three, I look forward to getting our fans back in the stadium and building on the momentum we have going in our program."

In his second season at West Virginia, Brown led the Mountaineers to a 6-4 record and a victory over Army in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl. His team went undefeated at home and produced the first consensus All-American at West Virginia since 2006. Statistically in year two under Brown, West Virginia made the most improvement nationally in total offense and total defense combined than any other team in the country.
Way too soon for this....

Reactions: Rootmaster
Troy was 4-8 in Brown's first year....year three they were 11-2.

WVU was 5-7 in Brown's first year.....he decreased the loss total by three this past season....
Year three....if he decreases the loss total again we will be a 10-win team.

Guy knows how to win bowl games too....a perfect 4-0.
Ohio
North Texas
Buffalo
Army

I would hope he knows how to beat programs of that caliber.

Interesting that he never won a conference championship and that no other P5 programs hired a Wizard like that too.

Reactions: KingCoal
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – West Virginia University Director of Athletics and Associate Vice President Shane Lyons has announced a two-year contract extension for football head coach Neal Brown that will run through the 2026 season.

"Coach Brown and I are committed to the future success of our football program," Lyons said. "I am pleased with the upward trajectory of the program and its culture. Our student-athletes have excelled on the field and in the classroom, and the overall leadership of Mountaineer football is strong."

With four years remaining on the original agreement, the extension now puts Brown under contract for the next six seasons. In total, the six-year contract is worth $23.85 million with an average yearly salary of $3,975,000 million over the length of the six-year deal. Brown also will be eligible to receive increased annual performance incentives, if met, and the salary commitment to his coaching staff has been increased to $4 million.

"I want to thank President Gee, Shane and Keli Zinn for their unwavering support of our football program. I also want to thank our players, coaches and staff for their commitment and dedication to West Virginia University," Brown said. "As we enter year three, I look forward to getting our fans back in the stadium and building on the momentum we have going in our program."

In his second season at West Virginia, Brown led the Mountaineers to a 6-4 record and a victory over Army in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl. His team went undefeated at home and produced the first consensus All-American at West Virginia since 2006. Statistically in year two under Brown, West Virginia made the most improvement nationally in total offense and total defense combined than any other team in the country.
How much is the buyout?

So board posts are ironclad truths? Really?
The truth is Brown is 11-11 at WVU and 46-47 overall as a HC and for some reason WVU extended his contract by 2 years--6 years from now. That is odd to say the least. Especially considering they wouldn't extend the previous coach who was doing much better.

Sorry, I'm smart and can actually think for myself. Shame got worked and that's a fact.

Shame was scared to pay DH's buyout and fire him, so he tried to sabotage him in the public, then DH came in with a 10 win season...those are the FACTS. Lurch tried to play poker and lost his hand..

Shame looked silly and everyone but his ball-washers know it.
You're just blowing smoke out your ass. How did shane try to sabotage Dana? The fact is until Dana produced a 10 win season he had no leverage. There are many AD's across the country that would have fired him after 2015.

It was a win against a team that was missing half its starters
Yeah and WVU was missing key defensive players and offensive linemen. Take your excuse bag and shove it where the sun don't shine.

The truth is Brown is 11-11 at WVU and 46-47 overall as a HC and for some reason WVU extended his contract by 2 years--6 years from now. That is odd to say the least. Especially considering they wouldn't extend the previous coach who was doing much better.
If Neal Brown wins more than 4 games in year 3 he will be doing better than Dana did

Reactions: Rootmaster
People can spin 11-11 overall all they want, he dodged a bullet with Oklahoma or he would have been 11-12 more than likely, his offense is one dimensional, he hasn't shown the ability to develop an offensive line.

He has a bottom tier bowl win against a triple option service academy with restrictions on how heavy their players can be, he needed Kendall to bail him out in that game, his play calling and game planning is on a Stewart level, his team's play undisciplined, his team's don't execute.

Great for the Brown crowd! Celebrate and rejoice. Fact. If he wins less than 7 games this season and struggles to do that his seat is on fire.

Lol at any waterhead calling someone a troll who dare question the decision to extend a .500 coach. L
If we would have played Florida State and Maryland he could have been 13-12 and finished with a 7-6 season which was the Dana special.

Not exactly thrilled about this. Curious about the buyout stipulations for both sides. Brown has potential, but I'm not sure his performance in the first 2 years warrant an additional 6 year commitment from the University.
Not sure people saw what he had to work with the first 2 years. Personally saw extension not happening until next year but I guess they wanted to get ahead of the game. Not sure what the buyout is but if he leaves in December I think it's a little over 5 million.

Assistant coaches salary pool has also been raised to 4 million. Needs to be 5 million in my opinion.

They won't fire him until year 5 if it comes to that. This is when the team will be 100% his recruits and majority will be seniors. Unless some blue blood decides they need some of our players.

You dumbass trolls think WVU should be 11-1 every year are full of crap. If Holgorsen had stayed he would have had back to back a 2-10 season and a 4-8 season.

Sure OU would have been a loss. But Mary and FSU could very well have been wins. Now go cry in your cereal bitch.

How far the program has fallen. A message board discussing the definition of success...at 7 wins out of 12...and merits of a long term contract extension for a coach averaging 5.5 wins a season. Welcome to the definition of mediocre.

Reactions: KingCoal
How far the program has fallen. A message board discussing the definition of success...at 7 wins out of 12...and merits of a long term contract extension for a coach averaging 5.5 wins a season. Welcome to the definition of mediocre.
WVU nationally averages 6 wins a year since football began for them. WVU has only won 10 games 3 times in regular season since going to 12 games. Those 11 win teams by Rod Fraud were because of Bowl wins. Same For Holgs first season.

8 wins a year is usually the standard for WVU. Use to be WVU couldn't even make a bowl game unless they won 8 to 9 games.

You want to try and do what Texas does and fire a coach every 2 years and you will see the new Kansas of the Big 12.

He gets 5 years in my book.

Last edited:
If Neal Brown wins more than 4 games in year 3 he will be doing better than Dana did
NOT. DH won 10 games year 1, won the Big East and crushed Clemson in a major bowl. Year two he moved WVU into a new tougher conference and still won 7 games.

Your math is off.

Accepting mediocre results year after year is a fool's pursuit. 17 players leaving this year ... having a coach fired because of a player rebellion... turning over "leadership" to a bunch of unloyal 19 year olds... rewarding a coach who is averaging 5.5 wins a season... and having a social justice and inclusion type oversight committee is going to keep WVU closer to Kansas than Oklahoma. Pretty steep hill to climb.

A guy who is 11-11 overall, 9-11 vs FBS, and 7-10 in the Big XII Conference with no MARQUI/Statement wins after 2 seasons gets a 2 year contract extension with 2 years left on the current contract for that level of success? WOW?????? Not playing/losing to Oklahoma in 2020 because the game was canceled due to COV19 was probably a 2 year bonus for Brown. COV19 benefitted him.

I didn’t know Shane Lyons was using the Phil Fulmer guide to being an AD with a football coach’s contract extension. Jeremy Pruitt after 2 seasons was 13-12 overall, 11-12 vs FBS, and 7-8 in conference. After an embarrassing and dismal 3-7 in year 3 and a recruiting scandal (which Tennessee knew nothing about in years 1 & 2 ——Wink Wink Nod Nod), Pruitt was Fired!

The only positive for me I see from this is it all but guarantees the Dick down in LA will be less likely to sneak his way back in for a 2.0 run. Then again after this season which I think won’t be above 0.500, it may mean a house cleaning sooner if it’s a total disaster. I hope Lyons is canned more than Brown and not just for this but this is a stupid financial decision/commitment.

Universities and Government have to be amongst the dumbest places where financial decisions are made. Well there and the guaranteed contracts in pro sports.

#TROLL Brown inherited an absolute shit show, literally one of the youngest teams in all of D1 with very little talent recruited by previous staff, literally the only impact player was 1..... 1 OL... Year 2 saw one of the most improved teams in all of D1. Recruiting & overall talent levels are taking massive improvements, which Lyons sees where we are headed under Brown, as this better talent are still extremely young, and likely feels future outcomes are positive and warrant securing further time to build into a CONSISTENT program. Frankly this is a brilliant move to lock Brown up now on the cheap, compared to waiting after an 8-10 win season within the next two years... This also further helps Brown & staff recruit. Also, Brown has outperformed ALL WVU projections in both years, hes also beat a ranked team while being unranked. They also won a bowl game, which is more then the previous staff could do..

When you look at the True Fresh & Redshirt Freshmen classes, their upside is higher then any other class DH recruited, esp considering they are consecutive classes, Browns first two classes. It takes time to turn such a garbage program around, which is what DH left after 8 years to "build".. I could very well argue DH actually left the program in worse condition from a talent perspective then when he arrived.

We should be counting our blessings to have a coach like Brown building WVU. If you dont support our coach, then we dont want you... Go support the Herd.. I seriously doubt you're an actual WVU fan anyway... So many trolls here who just want to spread negativity because they see Brown's quality... This is the first time in a very long while WVUFamily is united behind our HC. So go bathe in your own BS, cause that $hit is flushed here..

Reactions: CAK125 and WVUALLEN
Brown hasn't proved jackshit here. Cant keep players. Doesnt have control of the team. Revolving door of coaches. WOKE wannabe. Mediocre results and a lot of fans that think the Yugo was a great car.

Some of you guys need to get off the hard stuff and get a life. If you think any coach (that we could attract and afford) is going to come in and make us a conference contender in two or three years, then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn that you need to consider buying. This is not the old big east of the good old days. Matt Campbell took 5 years at ISU to get them into a playoff. Neal deserves that shot at least. He has done a respectable job to date, and we should get a better idea this year of how far this program has come. I know that no one wants to here this, but DH left the cupboard pretty bare. It appears that Brown has done a good job of restocking but we will see in the next 2 to 3 years. Shane did the right thing. The last thing we need is to start a revolving door of coaches.

NOT. DH won 10 games year 1, won the Big East and crushed Clemson in a major bowl. Year two he moved WVU into a new tougher conference and still won 7 games.

Your math is off.
Won 9 regular season games. Won Bowl game to finish 10-3. Finished in 3 way tie in Big Least at 5-2 thanks to upsets in the final 2 weeks. He backed into the Orange Bowl. Luckily he had Bill Stewart's team from previous year and was able to dominate Clemson.

Shit head moved nothing in year 2. He went 7-6 with the exact same team he struggled to win 10 with. Still couldn't beat Syracuse. What was he 0-3?

So the Big 12 was a tougher conference when you look at Holgorsen failures than Neal Brown. Interesting. Same old troll double standard.

Brown hasn't proved jackshit here. Cant keep players. Doesnt have control of the team. Revolving door of coaches. WOKE wannabe. Mediocre results and a lot of fans that think the Yugo was a great car.
Only one's leaving and running scared are former Holgorsen players who don't want to work hard. don't see anyone praising mediocre. That is your lame excuse.

Your math is off.
Im talking just about year 3 . So I am going to ask you for the 2nd time If Neal Brown wins more than 4 games and beats Kansas would that be a successful season?

BTW Dana won 10 games with the Players Stewart left. Year 3 is more of a reflection of a coachs team than year 1.

DH won with some players left over and some players he brought in. Brown lost with some players left over from a team that was 3 pts from playing for a BIG 12 title and lots of players he brought in since so many other players left and continue to do so.

Nowhere would a coach that has only won 5 regular season games two years running and had to have a game cancelled so he wouldnt have a losing record and be able to get to a bowl yr two, be considered a success if he wins just more than 4 games yr. 3. The fact someone who claimed anyone could step in and do better than a coach that won 7,8,10 games consistently for years for WVU asks this, while pretending the previous coach didnt win 10 games and a major bowl then 7 wins in a new and tougher conference, is just sad.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT