ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk Mountaineer football

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
Since wvu is the most winningest football prorgram without a national championship banner there must be an overwhelming reason. In your opinion what is it?

I think geography is the culprit. Not south...not north...not east...not west. Hard to create a must go personality.

Well we’d have a banner if we’d have beat SPITT. We would’ve played an Ohio State team that we would’ve run all over!! I just pray we get another shot someday.

Well we’d have a banner if we’d have beat SPITT. We would’ve played an Ohio State team that we would’ve run all over!! I just pray we get another shot someday.
Fake news. You don't even know who would have coached WVU in the title game. If you say, "Rodriguez," then I would ask you whether you saw how well he coached in his last game in Morgantown. Just because a Stewart coached team thumped an unmotivated Bob Stoops team in one of Bowl Flop Bob's five consecutive BCS bowl game losses doesn't mean that WVU would have played as well under Rodriguez vs. a motivated opponent. Ohio State would have loved to have played any team, other than a healthy LSU team full of future NFL players. #Myth

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Fake news. You don't even know who would have coached WVU in the title game. If you say, "Rodriguez," then I would ask you whether you saw how well he coached in his last game in Morgantown. Just because a Stewart coached team thumped an unmotivated Bob Stoops team in one of Bowl Flop Bob's five consecutive BCS bowl game losses doesn't mean that WVU would have played as well under Rodriguez vs. a motivated opponent. Ohio State would have loved to have played any team, other than a healthy LSU team full of future NFL players. #Myth
Ok

WVU doesn’t have the financial backing and history of winning vs the “big time” programs to be in the hunt in all those wins.
You only need to look at the long series vs a big timer know as Pennsylvania State University. The rest of the schedule was filled with your Richmond Spiders, Temple Owls, etc.
Given the national press’ negative coverage back in the early 60’s of the poverty in the coal fields, that does do much for perception either.

Since wvu is the most winningest football prorgram without a national championship banner there must be an overwhelming reason. In your opinion what is it?

I think geography is the culprit. Not south...not north...not east...not west. Hard to create a must go personality.

By not playing a super hard schedule and getting unlucky. Plenty of other schools have cupcakes, but WVU has had conference affiliations that were mostly weak. And unlucky because most programs with just one title happened to find the right coach, right player(s), and right time to give them an opportunity that they then had to take advantage of. WVU had that in 2007 and blew failed to take advantage. And I don't care what the tOSU folks have to say, the Buckeyes backed into that championship game by not playing the last month of the season and wouldn't have kept up with the speed of LSU, WVU, Mizzou, OU, and likely a few other top 10 teams I can't remember. WVU was unlucky in 1988 when Major went down. Now even with him WVU may not have beaten a pretty good ND team, but it would have been competitive. In 1993, WVU was on the opposite side of the 2007 scenario where they played the Ohio State role. WVU had no business trying to compete with Florida that year and likely would have been handily beaten by a few other teams that year as well. Syracuse comes to mind as a similar program that did take advantage at the right time in 1959 which is why they only have the one.

By not playing a super hard schedule and getting unlucky. Plenty of other schools have cupcakes, but WVU has had conference affiliations that were mostly weak. And unlucky because most programs with just one title happened to find the right coach, right player(s), and right time to give them an opportunity that they then had to take advantage of. WVU had that in 2007 and blew failed to take advantage. And I don't care what the tOSU folks have to say, the Buckeyes backed into that championship game by not playing the last month of the season and wouldn't have kept up with the speed of LSU, WVU, Mizzou, OU, and likely a few other top 10 teams I can't remember. WVU was unlucky in 1988 when Major went down. Now even with him WVU may not have beaten a pretty good ND team, but it would have been competitive. In 1993, WVU was on the opposite side of the 2007 scenario where they played the Ohio State role. WVU had no business trying to compete with Florida that year and likely would have been handily beaten by a few other teams that year as well. Syracuse comes to mind as a similar program that did take advantage at the right time in 1959 which is why they only have the one.
Even more FAKE NEWS. Ohio State was the only big conference school with only ONE loss heading into the National Championship Game, and was ranked No. 1, so your "backed into" argument is flat out stupid. Guess how many slow Buckeyes on the 2007 team eventually played in the NFL? 19. How about WVU? 12. What about LSU? 25. LSU lost two games that season because of key injuries, but when the Tigers were at full strength in the NCG, they proved that they were the best team. You have nothing more than a woulda, shoulda, coulda national title. Class dismissed.

Even more FAKE NEWS. Ohio State was the only big conference school with only ONE loss heading into the National Championship Game, and was ranked No. 1, so your "backed into" argument is flat out stupid. Guess how many slow Buckeyes on the 2007 team eventually played in the NFL? 19. How about WVU? 12. What about LSU? 25. LSU lost two games that season because of key injuries, but when the Tigers were at full strength in the NCG, they proved that they were the best team. You have nothing more than a woulda, shoulda, coulda national title. Class dismissed.
Why are you even here ass clown?

You can't read that well can you? I had no idea that number of NFL players is a criteria. Seems Oklahoma had more than WVU and still lost, but I'm sure you have some excuse as to why that is an exception to your illogical rule. Also, you obsfucate matters with LSU because WVU would likely have not beaten LSU that year as they really were the best team that year. They only got in because BOTH Mizzou and WVU lost their last game of the season. I said I don't care what you have to say on this subject because you have said all that same bull**** before. And that is exactly what it is. A vast majority of people outside of the Buckeye faithful feel the same way as me and the facts are that OSU got gashed by spread teams with speed that year. WVU could have played its B game and still beat OSU that year because OSU was just not that good that year. Facts are facts and your excuses are about as effective as flat earth arguments.

I see that the usual subjects are hijacking my thread into the neverending what might have been arguments. For craps sake people...focus...on the question I asked.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
You can't read that well can you? I had no idea that number of NFL players is a criteria. Seems Oklahoma had more than WVU and still lost, but I'm sure you have some excuse as to why that is an exception to your illogical rule. Also, you obsfucate matters with LSU because WVU would likely have not beaten LSU that year as they really were the best team that year. They only got in because BOTH Mizzou and WVU lost their last game of the season. I said I don't care what you have to say on this subject because you have said all that same bull**** before. And that is exactly what it is. A vast majority of people outside of the Buckeye faithful feel the same way as me and the facts are that OSU got gashed by spread teams with speed that year. WVU could have played its B game and still beat OSU that year because OSU was just not that good that year. Facts are facts and your excuses are about as effective as flat earth arguments.
More and more FAKE NEWS. Sorry to pee on your FAKE woulda, coulda, shoulda, National Championship parade. Both of Ohio State's losses in 2007 were against teams that THREW FOUR TD passes against the Buckeyes, but Pat White's SEASON HIGH was TWO TD PASSES, so your FALSE narrative continues to fail miserably. Beanie Wells was better than LeSean McCoy that year, and I don't need to remind you what McCoy did in Morgantown. Oklahoma had 18 FUTURE future NFL players on its 2007 roster, but THREE future NFL defensive backs and as many as FOUR other future NFL players didn't play in the Fiesta Bowl. Moreover, Oklahoma's regular DT Demarcus Granger was suspended for the Fiesta Bowl, due to a shoplifting charge. These FACTS seem to be getting in the way of your delusional theory.

I suppose no one wants to answer my question. Just perfer turning this into another us vs them thread. Boring.

Root: To answer your question, it's at least 75% about recruiting, IMO. Because of the state's small population, the state produces only a handful, at most, of FBS-caliber athletes. This means that WVU has to venture into other states to get the vast majority of its players, and usually is at a disadvantage to the home state's biggest school in landing the blue-chip recruits needed to excel at the highest level.

Root: To answer your question, it's at least 75% about recruiting, IMO. Because of the state's small population, the state produces only a handful, at most, of FBS-caliber athletes. This means that WVU has to venture into other states to get the vast majority of its players, and usually is at a disadvantage to the home state's biggest school in landing the blue-chip recruits needed to excel at the highest level.

Thanks for an actual topic specific answer. The small state argument is the normal response but applies to all schools. P5 schools have to recruit nationally. Hey oklahoma isnt a big population state. No i thinknit is other things...including a team program personality that is attractive to recruits...media etc. Wvu has become the just like everyone else in the big 12-2=10 conference. We had it like it or not under rich rod with a unique style and swagger. Kids have to dream about playing for the Mountaineers . As a me too a nc will never happen.

Thanks for an actual topic specific answer. The small state argument is the normal response but applies to all schools. P5 schools have to recruit nationally. Hey oklahoma isnt a big population state. No i thinknit is other things...including a team program personality that is attractive to recruits...media etc. Wvu has become the just like everyone else in the big 12-2=10 conference. We had it like it or not under rich rod with a unique style and swagger. Kids have to dream about playing for the Mountaineers . As a me too a nc will never happen.
Your words in bold hit the nail on the head. WVU is able to overcome the recruiting disadvantage that it faces by doing this. Rodriguez was one of the pioneers of the zone read spread offense, which emphasized QB run/pass option plays, and the 3-3-5 odd stack was an unusual defense, as well. "Press Virginia" is a good example as to how to overcome the recruiting disadvantage in basketball.

472 of the 757 wins were against William & Mary (16-0-1), Westminister (13-1), West Virginia Weslyan (29-4-1), Waynesburg (16-1), Washington & Lee (27-6-4), Washington & Jefferson (12-20-2), VMI (11-0), Virginia Tech (28-23-1), Virginia (10-12-1), Temple (24-12), Syracuse (27-34), Rutgers (33-4-2), Richmond (21-3-1), Pitt (40-61-3), Ohio (13-4), Maryland (28-22-2), Marshall (12-0), Marietta (16-6-1), Louisville (10-3), George Washington (17-7), East Carolina (19-3), Cincinnati (16-3-1), Boston College (21-11-1) and Bethany (13-0-1).

That is over half the win total.

There have not been enough big time wins against Big time teams in big key moments. Recruiting is only one piece to the puzzle. You need opportunity, some luck and talent especially at QB. But just because the players are there does not mean automatic. Coaching still has to match the talent.Don Nehlen won a lot of games with less talent than some of the opponents.

Champions were voted in during 1869-1935 by CFRA, HAF, NCF.
From 1936-1949 The AP voted for the champion
From 1050-1953 it was UPI and AP
From 1954-1981 it was AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI
From 1982-1997 it was AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
From 1998-2013 it was BCS
From 2013-2019 CFP

Last time Notre Dame was voted NCAA champs was 1988. WVU has had 3 opportunities to win it all. Although 1993 probably would have taken some sort of miracle. 1988 was the best chance and Rod rubber flubber gave birth to hell in a legit shot to make it.

No win is a guarantee so nobody knows if WVU beats Ohio State or not. WVU and Rod had their shot and choked it up in final game of season.

Now as far as winning a title during CFP years. I think it WVU will have to first be unbeaten and have 2 to 3 top 25 wins. Second there can not be unbeaten teams in any of the 4 P5 conferences. Thirdly ND has to have a loss.

I don't think I will see one in my life time.

Last edited:
472 of the 757 wins were against William & Mary (16-0-1), Westminister (13-1), West Virginia Weslyan (29-4-1), Waynesburg (16-1), Washington & Lee (27-6-4), Washington & Jefferson (12-20-2), VMI (11-0), Virginia Tech (28-23-1), Virginia (10-12-1), Temple (24-12), Syracuse (27-34), Rutgers (33-4-2), Richmond (21-3-1), Pitt (40-61-3), Ohio (13-4), Maryland (28-22-2), Marshall (12-0), Marietta (16-6-1), Louisville (10-3), George Washington (17-7), East Carolina (19-3), Cincinnati (16-3-1), Boston College (21-11-1) and Bethany (13-0-1).

That is over half the win total.

There have not been enough big time wins against Big time teams in big key moments. Recruiting is only one piece to the puzzle. You need opportunity, some luck and talent especially at QB. But just because the players are there does not mean automatic. Coaching still has to match the talent.Don Nehlen won a lot of games with less talent than some of the opponents.

Champions were voted in during 1869-1935 by CFRA, HAF, NCF.
From 1936-1949 The AP voted for the champion
From 1050-1953 it was UPI and AP
From 1954-1981 it was AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI
From 1982-1997 it was AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
From 1998-2013 it was BCS
From 2013-2019 CFP

Last time Notre Dame was voted NCAA champs was 1988. WVU has had 3 opportunities to win it all. Although 1993 probably would have taken some sort of miracle. 1988 was the best chance and Rod rubber flubber gave birth to hell in a legit shot to make it.

No win is a guarantee so nobody knows if WVU beats Ohio State or not. WVU and Rod had their shot and choked it up in final game of season.

Now as far as winning a title during CFP years. I think it WU will have to first be unbeaten and have 2 to 3 top 25 wins. Second there can not be unbeaten teams in any of the 4 P5 conferences. Thirdly ND has to have a loss.

I don't think I will see one in my life time.

^^^ what he said ^^^

Sometimes think wvu squandered a chance for elite level stabilization by 1. Abandoning the run spread philosophy and 2. By not taking an institutional leadership position and forging a true big east when realignment was hot. Becoming a me too in a far off conference has short term financgain but being mediocre will mitigate that in nb the long term.

Some believe the ACC isn't going to sustain because they failed to bring in Penn State in the late 1980's.
ESPN stuck a finger in the hole so they can control the break up of the ACC. Truthfully wanting to push a North Carolina school into the SEC.
They can keep the B1G/FOX from growing and ESPN controls two conferences where all the talent is at plus where all the population is moving to.

With all that what happens in the future is still up in there.
Maintain an image, improve facilities and improve Recruiting.

That is all you can do.
If ESPN attempts to maneuver a Big 12/ACC merger WVU is an important piece

Truthfully WVU football and basketball make for good TV.
Good crowd with excitement and Pageantry.

The idea that wvu somehow has a corner on excitement and atmosphere is both a joke and a myth...more like a self lie to make a long suffering fan base feel important. Truth is that students dont flock to most games...games against non big name opponents are treated like scrimmages by the fan base...and mediocrity is excepted as an achievement. And facilities upgrades are a joke...dont do jack shit on the court or field. All that does is spend tax dollars to feed rhe fantasies of the money toting big alumni.

There will be no freaking merger of Big 12 - ACC. WVU is not a welcomed member in ACC. The ACC has never wanted WVU and never will or they would be there. If anything happens it will be Big 12 being demolished or PAC 12 on verge of collapse has 2 teams move to Big 12.

There will be no freaking merger of Big 12 - ACC. WVU is not a welcomed member in ACC. The ACC has never wanted WVU and never will or they would be there. If anything happens it will be Big 12 being demolished or PAC 12 on verge of collapse has 2 teams move to Big 12.
TVZ must have googled this, and some band nerd geek pretending to know sports likely wrote a blog about it. TVZ is a googling nerd that wore a mullet 12 years after they went out of style.

ACC doesn't have the choice.
ESPN does.
Some of you don't understand how sports works.

ACC was picked up by ESPN so ESPN can control the future of the conference.
Same reason why you have ESPN+. ESPN controls what happens with WVU.

The pipe dream of being a Northeast Conference is quickly fading in ACC circles.
They see Pitt, BC and Syracuse as welfare schools.

Everything is determined by the networks.
If they feel WVU has a name and the ability to draw people to the television they will bring them in.

In regards to the ACC.
The time bomb that is that conference could be going off pretty soon.
Especially if a certain Northeast school doesn't want to play football this year while the other schools do.

The ESPN and currently structured conference affiliations married are going to collapse soon...under rising costs, declining interest and new social habits. All this talk is yesterday's discussion. The future is fewer scholarships, manageable coach compensation, smaller facilities, true student-athletes, streaming attendance and regional rivalries. In short, this pandemic effect will bring sanity back to the insane world of college sports.

Last edited:
For some schools but not all.

WVU either can act like a have or act like a have not.

They are acting like a have.
This upsets you. They are going to throw money into their facilities and spend money as if they are one of the haves.

Any school administrator that throws more money at idiot facility upgrades now and over the next decade is a fool. Any forum stalker like tvz who thinks that the old model will continue is a bigger fool.

Why?

Because Rootmaster says so.

Try again. This is too funny. Don't expose yourself so easily.

The model isn't changing. People aren't going to stop caring about college sports especially football.
Just as long as you have people who want to watch football you have money. What is going to go away?

College Football is in the middle of a long chess game. Started when FOX gave B1G their own network. SEC went to ESPN.
Now every school who isn't in either conference has three choices.
1) Join the SEC
2) Join the B1G
3) Create a third way.

ESPN is in control of what happens with those other schools in the Big 12 and ACC
They wish they had control over the PAC 12. Might be able to get USC if they allow schools to control their own third tier rights.

Since WVU is in the Big 12 they have the benefit because they didn't expand and are bringing in more money than schools in the PAC 12 and ACC.

Ultimately when this falls to pieces like you said.

We will most likely see the formation of another conference
ESPN wants it to be a conference that can go heads up with the SEC.
With this they push the B1G out of the picture in CFB and let the schools go after each other for Televisions and recruits

No matter what happens there is a very strong chance that NC State at sometime ends up in the SEC.
On UNC to find someway to counter this move.
Reason why you saw ESPN attempt to block the B1G

Truthfully NC State is probably the key in all of this.

Rootcanal fails as a troll once again.

Tell me once again how College sports is going to collapse.
Especially when schools are making more and more money every year.
When the attention hasn't decreased.

NC State going to the SEC has a huge impact.
UNC becomes the target of Tennessee and an even bigger target of South Carolina.

The question becomes does WVU fit this conference.

Ultimately like I said there is a good chance we see two conferences and in these two conferences we see teams who all recruit against each other and all don't like each other.
ACC and Big 12 aren't fully there yet so ESPN going to discard the schools who don't fit and merge the ones who do fit together.

Exposed you as a fraud and a pussy.

WVU is bringing in more money than they ever have and are building facilities like they never had before.

ACC doesn't have the choice.
ESPN does.
Some of you don't understand how sports works.

In regards to the ACC.
The time bomb that is that conference could be going off pretty soon.
Especially if a certain Northeast school doesn't want to play football this year while the other schools do.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT