ADVERTISEMENT

Let's check the Buckeyes' resume

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
Ohio State beat 6-6 Northwestern by 4 points.

Ohio State beat Wisconsin in overtime.

Ohio State lost to Penn State by 3 points.

Ohio State beat 3-9 Michigan State by 1 point.

Ohio State beat Michigan in double overtime.

That's 5 games in which the Buckeyes were about the same as their opponents.

How in the hell would this be the resume of the #2 team in the country if its name wasn’t Ohio State?

You forgot the part where it says Ohio State University. Seems to be all that's required. ESPN has a major crush on JT Barrett and his screechy voice pregame and halftime "speeches".

Reactions: engelhard
You forgot the part where it says Ohio State University. Seems to be all that's required. ESPN has a major crush on JT Barrett and his screechy voice pregame and halftime "speeches".

You mean -- THE Ohio State University... that says it all, my friend. And you are correct, the suits at ESPN would go tihsepa on the committee if they left them out in favor of the actual B1G champs.

Reactions: WVU-Brand
ex-pat is opening some eyes around here. Parity is alive and well..............except that ESPN has yet to figure this out. Speaking just for me and some folks from Tennessee, ole Warez is quite proud of this years Mountaineer team. The folks that ain't proud and look at the two losses and whine......................I say.............get over yourself. Life is like that. Sometimes you up..............sometimes you down.............1/2 inch of water.......think you gonna drown.

Reactions: WVex-pat in GA
How in the hell would this be the resume of the #2 team in the country if its name wasn’t Ohio State?
You're getting a little ridiculous with some of this nitpicking, Cuyahoga. Nobody hates the Luckeyes more than me, but their resume is pretty strong:

At home they beat a 10-2 team and two more 9-3 teams. On the road, they beat a 10-2 team, a 9-2 team, and lost to another 10-2 team. Add that up for a second...literally half of their 12 games were against teams that are 9-3 or better.

Our schedule had just two teams that good, one of whom was a common opponent (Oklahoma) that blasted WVU but was obliterated by Ohio St. If the Mountaineers had played 6 games against teams that good instead of just 2, the whole state of West Virginia would be screaming from the rooftops about our powerhouse schedule.

Not to mention, there are only 5 schools left with fewer than 2 losses and Ohio St is one of them. They're my second-most hated program, but you have to give them their due--they have had an excellent season.

Last edited:
Ohio State beat 6-6 Northwestern by 4 points.

Ohio State beat Wisconsin in overtime.

Ohio State lost to Penn State by 3 points.

Ohio State beat 3-9 Michigan State by 1 point.

Ohio State beat Michigan in double overtime.

That's 5 games in which the Buckeyes were about the same as their opponents.

You forgot to mention that beat down they put on Oklahoma in Norman. Oklahoma is a fraud but they are currently ranked in the top 10

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
You're getting a little ridiculous with some of this nitpicking, Cuyahoga. Nobody hates the the Luckeyes more than me, but their resume is pretty strong:

At home they beat a 10-2 team and two more 9-3 teams. On the road, they beat a 10-2 team, a 9-2 team, and lost to another 10-2 team. Add that up for a second...literally half of their 12 games were against teams that are 9-3 or better.

Our schedule had just two teams that good, one of whom was a common opponent (Oklahoma) that blasted WVU but was obliterated by Ohio St. If the Mountaineers had played 6 games against teams that good instead of just 2, the whole state of West Virginia would be screaming from the rooftops about our powerhouse schedule.

Not to mention, there are only 5 schools left with fewer than 2 losses and Ohio St is one of them. They're my second-most hated program, but you have to give them their due--they have had an excellent season.

Well yeah .... when you put it that way .... nothing like a little perspective.

They'll be a lock once they win the Big10 championship game.

....you know...the one between PSU and Wisconsin ?

If these games are such a huge deal to the playoff committee shouldn't a playoff team at least be required to qualify for their conference championship game (if it exists) ?

All hell really will break loose if the B1G gets two teams in the playoff.

We need .... 11 regular season games and an 8 team playoff OR 4 Super Conferences that feature a championship game and a playoff with the 4 conference champs.

Anything less than that will continue to generate huge issues.

It's laughable when a WVU fan criticizes Ohio State's resume. Ohio State crushed (and, on the road, no less) the team that blasted WVU in Morgantown. Add to that wins over two other Top 10 teams, and a fourth win over a ranked opponent, and consider that Ohio State only has one loss, which was on the road to a Top 10 team, then tell me how a WVU fan feels comfortable criticizing Ohio State's resume.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
If you can't win your conference you shouldn't be in the playoff. It's pretty simple.

...plus, if you can't even earn 1 of 2 spots in your conference championship game I'm not sure trolling the forums of other teams makes much sense.

Your trumped up rule about having to win a conference championship to make the CFP is pure fantasy. Win/loss records and quality wins are factors that the Committee considers, and weigh heavily in Ohio State's favor.

Your trumped up rule about having to win a conference championship to make the CFP is pure fantasy. Win/loss records and quality wins are factors that the Committee considers, and weigh heavily in Ohio State's favor.

Actually the members of the committee have often stated winning a conference (which you'd think would include at least participating in the championship game) is extremely important.

We're in the Big 12... ...and the value of that game has been explained to us endlessly by the likes of OSU fans... ...love the irony though.

Reactions: countryroads89
Conference championship is one factor, but not the only factor, and carries more weight when two teams being compared have similar resumes. If Oklamoma beats Oklahoma State next week, then you will see what I mean, as there isn't a snowball's chance in Hell that the Committee would select or seed the Sooners over the Buckeyes, nor should it, given the resumes of the two schools.

Conference championship is one factor, but not the only factor, and carries more weight when two teams being compared have similar resumes. If Oklamoma beats Oklahoma State next week, then you will see what I mean, as there isn't a snowball's chance in Hell that the Committee would select or seed the Sooners over the Buckeyes, nor should it, given the resumes of the two schools.

We're not talking 'one factor'... ...we're talking about OSU not being qualified to be one of two teams to play in their own conference title game...

...yet should be in a national top four playoff ? Laughable.

They are not even the best team in half of the Big 12. ...proved on the field.

NFL is fantasy. NBA is fantasy. NHL is fantasy. MLB is fantasy. I mean since winning your division equals spot in the playoffs.

Every other college sport is fantasy because every other college sport allows conference winner to participate for the national championship. Win your conference and you get an automatic spot to compete for the national championship. Basketball has a committee that does seeding and at-large bids which is based on subjectivity. But winning your conference automatically gets you in the tournament.

Concrete, real playoffs is fantasy. Let's just have a committee of jackasses sit in a backroom and discuss who they think should be in the playoff! That is legit, transparent, and fair!

NFL is fantasy. NBA is fantasy. NHL is fantasy. MLB is fantasy. I mean since winning your division equals spot in the playoffs.

Every other college sport is fantasy because every other college sport allows conference winner to participate for the national championship. Win your conference and you get an automatic spot to compete for the national championship. Basketball has a committee that does seeding and at-large bids which is based on subjectivity. But winning your conference automatically gets you in the tournament.

Concrete, real playoffs is fantasy. Let's just have a committee of jackasses sit in a backroom and discuss who they think should be in the playoff! That is legit, transparent, and fair!
When it was clear there 1-A football was going to a playoff I said it should be the five P-5 champs, 1 G-5 conference champ, 2 at-large.

Witty.

You couldn't win the discussion so you went there.. ...lol.
Oh, I've won the discussion, and this will be proven when the CFP Committee announces that tOSU is in, and you see that at least two of the P5 Champions are out. The A.P. and coaches also are laughing at your ridiculous argument.

Oh, I've won the discussion, and this will be proven when the CFP Committee announces that tOSU is in, and you see that at least two of the P5 Champions are out. The A.P. and coaches also are laughing at your ridiculous argument.

So you won the discussion because of the actions of others ?

You must be proud... ...not being able to reasonably express yourself while pointing and saying 'See what they said?'.

Impressive.

The obvious point is that your argument is idiotic, and shared by only the select few who share your agenda. School's out.

The obvious point is that your argument is idiotic, and shared by only the select few who share your agenda. School's out.

If you're just pointing to the final result why even enter a discussion? It is what it is...

School's out... ...lol... ..another pathetic attempt to walk away like you didn't just get beat down.

Trumped up rule? OSU isn't playing in the conference championship and if PSU beats Wiscy OSU would have lost to the conference champ. Yet you believe OSU should somehow play in the place of PSU. That is absurd.

Yep, agenda-driven WVU fans have made up a rule that the Committee doesn't follow, and nope, I never posted that one-loss Ohio State should get in ahead of a two-loss team that was destroyed by a team that Ohio State beat yesterday, and lost to 8-4 Pitt, but now that you mention it....

Yep, agenda-driven WVU fans have made up a rule that the Committee doesn't follow, and nope, I never posted that one-loss Ohio State should get in ahead of a two-loss team that was destroyed by a team that Ohio State beat yesterday, and lost to 8-4 Pitt, but now that you mention it....

Agenda driven? I'm being logical, unlike yourself.

Most likely Bama, OhSt. for sure. The only way Ped St or Wisky gets in is if they blow the other out by 3 TD, Clemson and Wash strugggle with their Conf. Championship games. Wash will most likely blow out Colorado, and Clemson will beat the casturated turkeys by 2 TDs. IMO they should bring back the computer rankings as part of selection and the committee needs to take into account of them but not the overall determining factor.

Agenda driven? I'm being logical, unlike yourself.
There is nothing logical about your argument, as the goal of the CFP Committee is to invite the best four teams in the Nation to a single-elimination tournament to determine the National Champion. Basing everything upon a conference championship, especially given the fact that only the Big 12 has a round-robin schedule, is idiotic. Alabama played in the NCG several years ago without having won the SEC, but y'all conveniently forget this FACT.

It's laughable when a WVU fan criticizes Ohio State's resume. Ohio State crushed (and, on the road, no less) the team that blasted WVU in Morgantown. Add to that wins over two other Top 10 teams, and a fourth win over a ranked opponent, and consider that Ohio State only has one loss, which was on the road to a Top 10 team, then tell me how a WVU fan feels comfortable criticizing Ohio State's resume.

I will say this. TCU got hung out to dry with their only loss being to a Top 10 team 2 years ago with the lack of a CCG being the ONLY reason they were left out.

Any idea who benefited from that pile of horseshit? Hint: they lost at home to an unranked team that year.

Anyone can laugh at this blatant hypocrisy that seems to openly favor the teams that are bluebloods. The only reason you aren't laughing is that their open homerism has benefited your team....twice.

Reactions: countryroads89
The real irony is that Ohio St might have a stronger resume this season than they did 2 years ago as the controversial #4 choice, yet they also may be encountering more resistance from the public and media now.

its not just osu, its that entire conference.

there are people out there who really think 3 teams should get in. have you taken a look at psu's wins? they went from ranked like 40th to 14 just by beating ohio state.. its all a racket

The real irony is that Ohio St might have a stronger resume this season than they did 2 years ago as the controversial #4 choice, yet they also may be encountering more resistance from the public and media now.

When you are the potential sole benefactor of rampant bullshit 2 times in 3 years, that will happen.

I will say this. TCU got hung out to dry with their only loss being to a Top 10 team 2 years ago with the lack of a CCG being the ONLY reason they were left out.

Any idea who benefited from that pile of horseshit? Hint: they lost at home to an unranked team that year.

Anyone can laugh at this blatant hypocrisy that seems to openly favor the teams that are bluebloods. The only reason you aren't laughing is that their open homerism has benefited your team....twice.
You're comparing apples to oranges now. Ohio State had one more win than TCU, and humiliated Wisconsin by the score of 59-0 to do so. The Committee knew that Ohio State was one of the Nation's best, and the Buckeyes proved it. Now, you and others with the same agenda are asking that two-loss teams leapfrog a team with a sparkling resume and only one loss, which is ranked No. 2 in virtually every poll. Prepare to be disappointed.

its not just osu, its that entire conference.

there are people out there who really think 3 teams should get in. have you taken a look at psu's wins? they went from ranked like 40th to 14 just by beating ohio state.. its all a racket

The playoff committee plays with the back end of the ranking to help the front end. Welcome to the last 3 years.

On a semi-related note....the ONLY reason we still have preseason rankings is to pump up the SEC and (now) B10 to make early losses look better.

You're comparing apples to oranges now. Ohio State had one more win than TCU, and humiliated Wisconsin by the score of 59-0 to do so. The Committee knew that Ohio State was one of the Nation's best, and the Buckeyes proved it. Now, you and others with the same agenda are asking that two-loss teams leapfrog a team with a sparkling resume and only one loss, which is ranked No. 2 in virtually every poll. Prepare to be disappointed.

They had an extra game against an average Wisconsin team that year. I would easily argue that they beat one very/pretty good team all that season(MSU...who got lapped by Oregon that year) and benefited from an otherwise awful B10 that year.

Who did OSU lose to that year?
Who did TCU lose to that year?

Apples to oranges? No. There's one rotten piece of produce here....and it's a nut.

When comparing OSU's resume to that of WVU I could not agree with you more. The problem I have is that the criteria from the committee seems to change weekly. They say the Big 12's problem is they do not have a championship game, yet now, there could be 2 Big 10 teams in the playoff and neither of them are even playing in their championship game. Yes, I know this is one of many tie breakers, however, you can not say that OSU's resume is so much better than Penn State that they should get in over Penn State or that these tie breakers should apply in a head to head case between the two teams. I am certainly not a Penn State fan but if they win the Big 10, why should tie breakers even come to play? If they did, Penn State wins every one of them. Again, the committee changes what matters to them weekly. It is even more subjective than the old BCS system.

A one-loss Ohio State team, which put 14 guys in the NFL, was left out of the Playoffs last season, so your conspiracy theory fails.

That team played like hot garbage most of the season. Are NFL draftees a playoff criteria now?

I got an idea. Lets just put OSU in each year at the beginning and then any team ranked above them in the final AP poll can petition the CFP committee to present their case to the tribunal. I'm sure if the proceedings could be televised and get some beer ads, that we can make this happen.

Reactions: GoWVU
When comparing OSU's resume to that of WVU I could not agree with you more. The problem I have is that the criteria from the committee seems to change weekly. They say the Big 12's problem is they do not have a championship game, yet now, there could be 2 Big 10 teams in the playoff and neither of them are even playing in their championship game. Yes, I know this is one of many tie breakers, however, you can not say that OSU's resume is so much better than Penn State that they should get in over Penn State or that these tie breakers should apply in a head to head case between the two teams. I am certainly not a Penn State fan but if they win the Big 10, why should tie breakers even come to play? If they did, Penn State wins every one of them. Again, the committee changes what matters to them weekly. It is even more subjective than the old BCS system.
Ohio State's resume would be better than Penn State's resume, even if Penn State were to beat Wisconsin. Penn State has one more loss, and got creamed by Michigan, which Ohio State just beat. Further, Penn State played awful Purdue in the B1G West, and all of Ohio State's cross-over games were against teams with winning conference records. Moreover, Penn State beat nobody OOC, and tOSU thumped the Sooners in Norman. There are legitimate reasons for the human polls' ranking of Ohio State six spots higher than Penn State, notwithstanding Nits' win vs. the Buckeyes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT