ADVERTISEMENT

Let's check the Buckeyes' resume

That team played like hot garbage most of the season. Are NFL draftees a playoff criteria now?

I got an idea. Lets just put OSU in each year at the beginning and then any team ranked above them in the final AP poll can petition the CFP committee to present their case to the tribunal. I'm sure if the proceedings could be televised and get some beer ads, that we can make this happen.

in the meantime, he's right................ a 1 loss tOSU team was left out of the Playoffs last year............ thus defeating the BS conspiracy theory crap

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
You're getting a little ridiculous with some of this nitpicking, Cuyahoga. Nobody hates the Luckeyes more than me, but their resume is pretty strong:

At home they beat a 10-2 team and two more 9-3 teams. On the road, they beat a 10-2 team, a 9-2 team, and lost to another 10-2 team. Add that up for a second...literally half of their 12 games were against teams that are 9-3 or better.

Our schedule had just two teams that good, one of whom was a common opponent (Oklahoma) that blasted WVU but was obliterated by Ohio St. If the Mountaineers had played 6 games against teams that good instead of just 2, the whole state of West Virginia would be screaming from the rooftops about our powerhouse schedule.

Not to mention, there are only 5 schools left with fewer than 2 losses and Ohio St is one of them. They're my second-most hated program, but you have to give them their due--they have had an excellent season.

I got an idea for you. Move to Ohio!

There is nothing logical about your argument, as the goal of the CFP Committee is to invite the best four teams in the Nation to a single-elimination tournament to determine the National Champion. Basing everything upon a conference championship, especially given the fact that only the Big 12 has a round-robin schedule, is idiotic. Alabama played in the NCG several years ago without having won the SEC, but y'all conveniently forget this FACT.

We're not discussing the Big 12. I'm not looking st this through the prism of a big 12 or wvu fan.

If a team cannot win it's conference, how could it possibly be one of the four best teams? It doesn't make sense.

Ohio State beat 6-6 Northwestern by 4 points.

Ohio State beat Wisconsin in overtime.

Ohio State lost to Penn State by 3 points.

Ohio State beat 3-9 Michigan State by 1 point.

Ohio State beat Michigan in double overtime.

That's 5 games in which the Buckeyes were about the same as their opponents.

How in the hell would this be the resume of the #2 team in the country if its name wasn’t Ohio State?

what-difference-does-it-make-flushotprices.jpg

We're not discussing the Big 12. I'm not looking st this through the prism of a big 12 or wvu fan.

If a team cannot win it's conference, how could it possibly be one of the four best teams? It doesn't make sense.
The idea of the "four best teams" is really fallacious most years. Team A beats team B which beats team C. It's a lot about the matchups.

Good grief, I can't believe how many of you are unable to think through how dumb that statement is.

in the meantime, he's right................ a 1 loss tOSU team was left out of the Playoffs last year............ thus defeating the BS conspiracy theory crap

And they were replaced with another blue blood (OU). So 2 out of three years that OSU will individually benefit from a very irregular pattern of evaluation by the CFP committee....and you don't find that odd? Especially since this years deviation is exactly the opposite of how they explained away TCU dropping 2 spots for winning their last game?

Good grief, I can't believe how many of you are unable to think through how dumb that statement is.
As dumb as the CFP committee using that as an excuse for TCU not being in it in 2014. Using the B12 refusal to name "One True Champion" as their excuse to screw Baylor and TCU

And they were replaced with another blue blood (OU). So 2 out of three years that OSU will individually benefit from a very irregular pattern of evaluation by the CFP committee....and you don't find that odd? Especially since this years deviation is exactly the opposite of how they explained away TCU dropping 2 spots for winning their last game?

No. each year is to be examined independently from any one previous....

Face it: The College Football Pretzel Committee decides which teams will bring the most ratings and money to the TV cash cow that pays billions for the coverage, then twists itself into serious contortions to "justify" its choices. But a team that is, at best, THIRD in its own conference standings is SECOND nationally? That defies even home team logic.

WVU isn't even in the conversation, and that's fair. But if the THIRD team in a conference is the SECOND team in the nation, how can that be? Penn State and Wisconsin might as well not play the Big 10 title game because obviously it doesn't mean squat in the CFP considerations.

Washington might as well not win its Pac-12 title game because that obviously won't influence the CFP committee. Hell, only Alabama can be picked over Ohio State, which was in position to lose nearly half of its games in the final minutes. Michigan State went for 2 or Ohio State might have 2 losses. Yet that still wouldn't keep the CFPretzel committee from making the Buckeyes #2.

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O rdinary against Youngstown, 38-21

U nnerving miracle goalline tip/interception escapes BYU, 35-32

N o quit against Kansas State, 17-16

T ony’s turbulence tore up Texas Tech, 48-17

A nother defense whipping, of TCU, 34-10

I gnominy of turnovers against Oklahoma State, 20-37

N o problem decimating Kansas, 48-21

E xcellent, timely defense AGAIN; beat Texas, 24-20

E rectile dysfunctioned against Oklahoma, 56-28

R ebounded big time on offense and defense at Iowa State, 49-19

S cuttle Baylor

Were you a member of the media, Cuyahoga Falls? If you were, then you should be ashamed of yourself for cherry picking Ohio State's wins, and attempting to advance your transparent agenda. Where oh where on your list is Ohio State's 45-24 blasting of Big 12 leader Oklahoma, or 62-3 dismantling of ranked Nebraska? You can't talk rationally about Ohio State's resume, and omit these wins. Moreover, your conspiracy argument fails when one considers the fact that an 11-1 Ohio State, which finished 12-1 and No. 4 last season, wasn't invited to the playoff party last season.

An at best third team in their conference is somehow in the top four of all of college football? And you're calling my statement dumb? Think it through....

Were you a member of the media, Cuyahoga Falls? If you were, then you should be ashamed of yourself for cherry picking Ohio State's wins, and attempting to advance your transparent agenda. Where oh where on your list is Ohio State's 45-24 blasting of Big 12 leader Oklahoma, or 62-3 dismantling of ranked Nebraska? You can't talk rationally about Ohio State's resume, and omit these wins. Moreover, your conspiracy argument fails when one considers the fact that an 11-1 Ohio State, which finished 12-1 and No. 4 last season, wasn't invited to the playoff party last season.
That's called deflecting. Hell, Houston beat Oklahoma and no one is clamoring for Houston to be in the Final Four. The Buckeyes had nearly half its games up for grabs in the final minute of their games. That's not a #2 team. Hell, Penn State and Wisconsin, playing within the rules, are going after the Big 10 title. The Penn State team that beat Ohio State, by the way. #3 in the Big 10 and #2 in the country. Would you agree with that if Alabama were #3 in the SEC and #2 in the country?

S cuttle Baylor

That statement is merely one of the many problems with your assumption.

Considering PSU and Wisconsin will be 1 and 2 because they made it to the conference championship game invalidates your point. It isn't an assumption, it's fact.

Considering PSU and Wisconsin will be 1 and 2 because they made it to the conference championship game invalidates your point. It isn't an assumption, it's fact.
"How can you be so obtuse? Is it deliberate?"

This just in: Ohio St is 8-1 in the conference, Wisconsin is only 7-2. The Buckeyes also beat the Badgers head-to-head. Those are the facts.

It never fails to amaze me how many of you are gullible enough to believe the lie you've been sold that just because a team reaches one of these phony "conference championship" games it necessarily means they are one of the top two teams in the conference.

Have fun in Fantasyland...

"How can you be so obtuse? Is it deliberate?"

This just in: Ohio St is 8-1 in the conference, Wisconsin is only 7-2. The Buckeyes also beat the Badgers head-to-head. Those are the facts.

It never fails to amaze me how many of you are gullible enough to believe the lie you've been sold that just because a team reaches one of these phony "conference championship" games it necessarily means they are one of the top two teams in the conference.

Have fun in Fantasyland...

Did you leave out your explanation for PSU because your point is again invalidated.

An at best third team in their conference is somehow in the top four of all of college football? And you're calling my statement dumb? Think it through....
So, using your logic, would you be suggesting that Michigan is the 4th best team in the B1G? I mean, Penn State and Wisconsin are your top 2 teams in the B1G, right? You do realize that Michigan has an identical record as Penn State and Wisconsin, right? Furthermore, you do realize that Michigan defeated Wisconsin 14-7, a score that should have been much worse. You must also realize that Michigan defeated Penn State by 39 points. 39 Points. Let that sink in for a few moments. But yet, you feel Penn State and Wisconsin are the top 2 teams in the B1G, right? Take a few minutes, and 'think it through'.

So, using your logic, would you be suggesting that Michigan is the 4th best team in the B1G? I mean, Penn State and Wisconsin are your top 2 teams in the B1G, right? You do realize that Michigan has an identical record as Penn State and Wisconsin, right? Furthermore, you do realize that Michigan defeated Wisconsin 14-7, a score that should have been much worse. You must also realize that Michigan defeated Penn State by 39 points. 39 Points. Let that sink in for a few moments. But yet, you feel Penn State and Wisconsin are the top 2 teams in the B1G, right? Take a few minutes, and 'think it through'.

Who are the top 2 teams playing for the conference title?

Ohio State's resume would be better than Penn State's resume, even if Penn State were to beat Wisconsin. Penn State has one more loss, and got creamed by Michigan, which Ohio State just beat. Further, Penn State played awful Purdue in the B1G West, and all of Ohio State's cross-over games were against teams with winning conference records. Moreover, Penn State beat nobody OOC, and tOSU thumped the Sooners in Norman. There are legitimate reasons for the human polls' ranking of Ohio State six spots higher than Penn State, notwithstanding Nits' win vs. the Buckeyes.
I find it ironic that people want to bash the Big 12 unless they need a win over one of its teams to pad their resume. The point is, the current system is even more subjective than the previous BCS system. College football was great because every week of the regular season mattered. If you lost early you could recover, but if you lost late, even to a good team, it likely meant you would not get a chance at the NC. Like it or not, that is what made college football great. Now, you can not only lose in November but you can lose to unranked opponents and still be above a team that may win your conference. Clemson lost to unranked Pitt at home. Michigan lost to unranked Iowa. Yet, they are both still in contention, while the team that may win what most would call the best conference in college football this year, will likely be on the outside looking up at one or possibly both.

The Big 12 was told that what is keeping their teams out of contention was because they didn't have a conference championship game, that one extra game that all of the other contenders had. Well now, that does not seem to be a factor anymore. I get it, that is one of many tie breakers. But the situation between Ohio State and Penn State should clearly come down to tie breakers as it is not clear cut that one is above the other. And Penn State wins all of the tie breakers. Ohio State did not take care of their business when they played Penn State, plain and simple.

I also know that Michigan lost to an unranked Iowa team in November. This is something that in past years would have eliminated any team from playing for a NC. That is what made college football great. Every single week in the regular season mattered. Now, Clemson can lose to an unranked Pitt, on their own field, and still get in the playoff over a team that could win what is likely the best conference in college football. The Big 12 was told their problem was they didn't have a conference championship game, that one extra game that all of the other contenders were playing. That is not such a problem this year. It is meaningless. This system is more subjective than the old BCS system.

Yep, agenda-driven WVU fans have made up a rule that the Committee doesn't follow, and nope, I never posted that one-loss Ohio State should get in ahead of a two-loss team that was destroyed by a team that Ohio State beat yesterday, and lost to 8-4 Pitt, but now that you mention it....
hey now, pitt is a good loss. 2 of the 4 likely playoff teams lost to pitt.
big 12 best OOC win for entire conference this year =.pitt.
Someone shoudl hire Canada, best offense in the nation this year.

That's called deflecting. Hell, Houston beat Oklahoma and no one is clamoring for Houston to be in the Final Four. The Buckeyes had nearly half its games up for grabs in the final minute of their games. That's not a #2 team. Hell, Penn State and Wisconsin, playing within the rules, are going after the Big 10 title. The Penn State team that beat Ohio State, by the way. #3 in the Big 10 and #2 in the country. Would you agree with that if Alabama were #3 in the SEC and #2 in the country?

S cuttle Baylor
Wow, you're incredibly desperate. Houston has lost to 5-7 SMU, in addition to Navy and Memphis, so your inclusion of the Cougars in this discussion is nonsense. But thank you for bringing up "Brother Nick's" team. Alabama was invited to the 2012 BCS National Championship Game, notwithstanding the fact that it didn't win the SEC or even the SEC West. Game, set, and match, but thanks for playin'!

Wow, you're incredibly desperate. Houston has lost to 5-7 SMU, in addition to Navy and Memphis, so your inclusion of the Cougars in this discussion is nonsense. But thank you for bringing up "Brother Nick's" team. Alabama was invited to the 2012 BCS National Championship Game, notwithstanding the fact that it didn't win the SEC or even the SEC West. Game, set, and match, but thanks for playin'!
So you quote the hated BCS to justify the twisted CFP thinking. Nice pretzeling, dude! Elitism rules in college football and politics.

So you quote the hated BCS to justify the twisted CFP thinking. Nice pretzeling, dude! Elitism rules in college football and politics.

As someone who prides himself on that idiotic catchphrase "the facts are the facts" allow me to lesson you:

Ohio State is 11-1 with 4 top 25 victories on a schedule that ranks as the SINGLE TOUGHEST in America................. facts. That places them well within the top 4 teams in CFB......... regardless of how their conference divisional race played out.

You can cloud the actual facts with the smoke of "how they won" or "what the point difference was"............ but the facts are the facts. 11-1 on the nation's hardest schedule................

Glad I could educate a "sports expert"

That is exactly how this works. They lost to PSU and aren't even playing in their conference championship game. They aren't the best team in their conference.

I agree. Winning on the field, as in the NFL, should trump a perceived (aka human factor) ratings/rankings. ...and I happen to think OSU is a top 4 team? So f'n what?

Sure, in the NFL sometimes better teams get left out of the playoffs than some that make it... ...but nobody argues that the lesser team didn't deserve to be in. Why? ...because they earned it thru absolute standards and not just perception.

I agree. Winning on the field, as in the NFL, should trump a perceived (aka human factor) ratings/rankings. ...and I happen to think OSU is a top 4 team? So f'n what?

Sure, in the NFL sometimes better teams get left out of the playoffs than some that make it... ...but nobody argues that the lesser team didn't deserve to be in. Why? ...because they earned it thru absolute standards and not just perception.

I completely agree. I wouldn't mind seeing the college football playoff model itself after the NFL's system. Settle it on the field, not by perception.

I completely agree. I wouldn't mind seeing the college football playoff model itself after the NFL's system. Settle it on the field, not by perception.
I think that's where most fair-minded people are headed. Settle it on the field. But that can only happen if the football playoffs resemble March Madness more.

Oh, not 68 football teams in the playoffs. But set up EIGHT conferences of 8 teams, which means the 64 best teams in America from year to year.

Have the 8 conference champs in the playoffs. You eliminate the committee, which gives points for beating a top 25 team that THEY MADE A TOP 25 TEAM. That seems rather double standardity.

The only way to determine the best team in the Big 10 would be if all the Big 10 teams played each other, the way the Big 12 teams do. Once again, it depends on who you didn't play, or when.

The committee can make a ham sandwich one of the 4 playoff teams and there's nothing we could do about it except watch Alabama devour the ham sandwich.

Even if Ohio State is demolished in the playoffs (remember, this is a team that was in danger of losing almost half of the games it played in the final minute), then the excuse will be: Oh well, everyone has a bad day.

It is mind-boggling that a team that couldn't even make it to its own conference title game is considered #2 in America. Based on what? Opinions. No, thanks.

How many times does an NFL Wild card team have a better record overall than the team that wins their division? It happens.....

The fact remains that OSU played the toughest schedule in CFB this year and went 11-1.

That is why they are EASILY in the playoffs.

Again....the facts are the facts

How many times does an NFL Wild card team have a better record overall than the team that wins their division?

Again....the facts are the facts

Ummm....never. ...at least at the end of the regular season.

EDIT: I guess you meant 'an other division' vs. 'their division'...or conference or something than other. You're an intelligent poster...so we must be having a misunderstanding...

Ummm....never. ...at least at the end of the regular season.

EDIT: I guess you meant 'an other division' vs. 'their division'...or conference or something than other. You're an intelligent poster...so we must be having a misunderstanding...

Yes sorry. I was thinking of that sub 500 Seahawks team taking down the Saints years ago when the Saints had the better record but we're the wildcard

Yes sorry. I was thinking of that sub 500 Seahawks team taking down the Saints years ago when the Saints had the better record but we're the wildcard

Well...you're still seemingly confused how it works in the NFL...but...

Right... ...but every ounce was earned on the field. Not some random guy (or group) saying he has a 'gut feeling' about the Seahawks.

Well...you're still seemingly confused how it works in the NFL...but...

Right... ...but every ounce was earned on the field. Not some random guy (or group) saying he has a 'gut feeling' about the Seahawks.

Indeed. Ohio State proved on the field that they are a top 4 team by going 11-1 on the nation's toughest schedule, losing only to a top 10 team.

Penn St lost to a top 25 team in Pitt and blown out by a top 10 team in Michigan (who OSU beat)

Wisconsin lost to a top 10 Michigan and a top 4 Ohio State.

Washinton lost to a top 10 USC

Clemson TO A TOP 25 Pitt

Bama is perfect

The field of play has made it exceptionally clear who the top 4 teams are at this moment

its all a racket, and unfortunately the huge land grants are running this show.

the other 4 conferences could all have an undefeated champ and a one loss mich/osu would still get in ahead of one of them.

that being said i dont have a problem with osu being the team to send. i think wisconsin, michigan, and osu are all so close that if wisconsn has the title they should get the nod though but i can see the argument for osu

Ohio State resume is a good. They are in the CFP. But if this was say Minnesota, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois or Rutgers. Would the same thing happen for them. Would they be #2. You know they would be more like #6 or even #7. This is where it becomes a bias system.

I get what it wants to do. Have Ohio State vs Alabama. Myers vs Saban. It's the CFP dream.

Let's not forget Michigan a t#4. If Clemson or Washington were to lose then a Michigan team that lost 2 of it's last 3 get in. Leaving the Big 10 Champion out of the picture While it's 2 blue bloods are in. This is why the system does not work.

13 matters not..

The Big 10 championship game has proven what most of us here already knew....

That the conference title games are a farce and not needed.

What is the point of Wisky and Penn State playing in a title game when someone else from their league already has a play-off spot wrapped up?

Ohio State beat 6-6 Northwestern by 4 points.

Ohio State beat Wisconsin in overtime.

Ohio State lost to Penn State by 3 points.

Ohio State beat 3-9 Michigan State by 1 point.

Ohio State beat Michigan in double overtime.

That's 5 games in which the Buckeyes were about the same as their opponents.

How in the hell would this be the resume of the #2 team in the country if its name wasn’t Ohio State?

You left out the one game that helps their resume buddy. They stormed into by far the best team in the
Big 12 backyard and annihilated Oklahoma.

It's laughable when a WVU fan criticizes Ohio State's resume. Ohio State crushed (and, on the road, no less) the team that blasted WVU in Morgantown. Add to that wins over two other Top 10 teams, and a fourth win over a ranked opponent, and consider that Ohio State only has one loss, which was on the road to a Top 10 team, then tell me how a WVU fan feels comfortable criticizing Ohio State's resume.

No explanation needed. OSU easily top 4 team. Only wish you guys would have blasted Penn St. Good luck in your journey and snag another title.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT