ADVERTISEMENT

Joe DeForest is who we thought he was.

WVURobinHood

All-Conference
Aug 25, 2013
Fort Smith, Mt.
Good ole DeFo who milked WVU for millions was hired at Kansas as the special teams coordinator. They didn't even hire him at a safeties coach.

Guess who is having all kinds of special teams problems?

What a joke his hiring was and if ever Dana doesn't get a pss for something its hiring his bubby here at WVU. Guy is a terrible coach.

Except from Kansas article.

Last week the Jayhawks made some costly errors on special teams that gave Ohio great field position. Two of those came on dropped punts which has prompted David Beaty to make a change in the punt return game.

Beaty is going back to handling the punt returners in special teams. He has done it before and will assume those duties this week.

“I've got an 87-year-old mother and the first thing she said was, "Y'all got to hang on to that ball when they punt it to you,” Beaty said. “Yeah, absolutely we do. We've got to do a better job of that and that's not okay. 'm taking over the returners and if it's going to happen, it's going to be my fault.”

This isn’t going to take Beaty much away from his current role calling plays and working with the quarterbacks. The Jayhawks do a lot of their punt return drills during the pre-practice stretch routine. And Beaty isn’t handling the entire punt return team, just fielding the punts.

DeForest_crop_4-2-2016_t640.jpg

The DeForest lovers always wanted to blame Lonnie for the punt return problems though.

Some can't see the trees because of de forest.

Last edited:
Good ole DeFo who milked WVU for millions was hired at Kansas as the special teams coordinator. They didn't even hire him at a safeties coach.

What a joke his hiring was and if ever Dana doesn't get a pss for something its hiring his bubby here at WVU. Guy is a terrible coach.

Last week the Jayhawks made some costly errors on special teams that gave Ohio great field position. Two of those came on dropped punts which has prompted David Beaty to make a change in the punt return game.

Beaty is going back to handling the punt returners in special teams. He has done it before and will assume those duties this week.

“I've got an 87-year-old mother and the first thing she said was, "Y'all got to hang on to that ball when they punt it to you,” Beaty said. “Yeah, absolutely we do. We've got to do a better job of that and that's not okay. 'm taking over the returners and if it's going to happen, it's going to be my fault.”

This isn’t going to take Beaty much away from his current role calling plays and working with the quarterbacks. The Jayhawks do a lot of their punt return drills during the pre-practice stretch routine. And Beaty isn’t handling the entire punt return team, just fielding the punts.

This hire was a joke and was the reason Ollie took over the hiring process from Dana. We ran Casteel and Co off for this cat. Dunlop got his butt in trouble when he was asked by Ollie how the defense was looking in camp and Dunlop told the truth. He was booted from the staff asap.

The DeForest lovers always wanted to blame Lonnie for the punt return problems though.

Dana knew what a disastrous mistake it was appointing him DC. At least he had the guts to demote him.I believe DeForest left when his contract expired and wouldn't take a pay cut.

Dana knew what a disastrous mistake it was appointing him DC. At least he had the guts to demote him.I believe DeForest left when his contract expired and wouldn't take a pay cut.
We fired Casteel and Co for that mess. Oh Lord! Paid his buyout at OSU, paid him top $$$, and he had no clue how to run a defense. All the coaches on defense that season was a joke.

We fired Casteel and Co for that mess. Oh Lord! Paid his buyout at OSU, paid him top $$$, and he had no clue how to run a defense. All the coaches on defense that season was a joke.

Most likely Casteel was going to leave regardless. Then that Patterson disaster after him. It's a shame that Ollie let Dana pick his staff as a rookie HC. IMO...we would have had a much better transition to the B12 if Luck would have told Dana to stay at the kids table until he was done making the right choices for him.

It wasn't like Ollie was foreign to the coaching ranks while managing his sons career.

Most likely Casteel was going to leave regardless. Then that Patterson disaster after him. It's a shame that Ollie let Dana pick his staff as a rookie HC. IMO...we would have had a much better transition to the B12 if Luck would have told Dana to stay at the kids table until he was done making the right choices for him.

It wasn't like Ollie was foreign to the coaching ranks while managing his sons career.
Casteel wanted to stay because his wife worked for the WVU President and he did not want to uproot his kids. To add to this crazy mess he put a guy in as cornerbacks coach that never played football. Then Dunlap got demoted because Ollie ask him during camp how the defense looked and Steve told Ollie the truth.

That entire thing of running off the old staff and hiring of Defo was a joke to a program playing at a high level.

Reactions: WVURobinHood

It was Ollie's fault for letting Dana hire that ridiculous defensive staff. Paid DeForest huge money and the guy was passed over time and time again at OSU because they knew he wasn't DC material. Then Ollie let Dana hire Robert's, who never coached anything really, as a freaking cornersback coach in the Big12?. What an absolute mess. Paid for it with cash and wins.

Ollie got us into the Big12 which was fantastic. He did much that was bone headed when it came to contracts and hires but he didn't fire Casteel. Dana wanted Kirlavich gone and Casteel basically left over it.

It was Ollie's fault for letting Dana hire that ridiculous defensive staff. Paid DeForest huge money and the guy was passed over time and time again at OSU because they knew he wasn't DC material. Then Ollie let Dana hire Robert's, who never coached anything really, as a freaking cornersback coach in the Big12?. What an absolute mess. Paid for it with cash and wins.

Ollie got us into the Big12 which was fantastic. He did much that was bone headed when it came to contracts and hires but he didn't fire Casteel. Dana wanted Kirlavich gone and Casteel basically left over it.
So its Ollie fault that Dana hired one of his buddies form OSU?

So its Ollie fault that Dana hired one of his buddies form OSU?

Not really, but considering Ollie was partially responsible for the HCIW issue, I would have done due diligence and did some background on eFor before allowing him to come on. I believe that multiple people could have explained to him what we now know...

Casteel sucked too,matter of fact he was just shit canned by his buddy out in Tucson. Dana made a bad hire in Defo, but at least he got it right with Gibby.

So you think he was good? There's a reason he is unemployed, his defenses were not aggressive, and gave up everything over the middle to TEs. His bend but don't break style would get killed in the Big 12, as it did out in the desert.

We had top 5 defenses in the country under him.

the snap over the punters head was also a killer.

In the interest of challenging revisionist history:

Nearly every AD lets the head coach pick his staff, but then the head coach gets fired if he choose wrong. So don't blame Oliver Luck for DeForest. That was a Red Bull mistake, big time.

Driving Casteel out also was a mistake, and Dunlap, too. WVU's defense was nationally ranked with those two. Dana tried to make amends by bringing in Gibson, who learned under Casteel, back to WVU.

And I'll be the first to say that Gibby is a better DC than Casteel, and both WAY better than the defense coaches between those two. Gibby took Casteel's defense, added unpredictability and aggressiveness to it, changing bend but don't break to take a chance and let's get the suckers.

I think we all agree that DeForest was a calamity. But that's on Dana. Just as it's to Dana's credit that, after seeing what a mess he made by, in effect, replacing Casteel with DeForest (NO ONE would make that switch, right?), brought in Gibby.

Oliver Luck was the most qualified athletic director in WVU history, even better than Fred Schaus and Legs Hawley. Yes, I disagreed with my good, late friend Mickey Furfari about that, to his face, and Mickey had NO problem with us being on opposite sides on that issue. That was the Mickey I knew.

Gibby took a defense that lost 9 starters from the 2015 team that put 6 in the NFL, 4 via the first 3 rounds of the draft, and manhandled Missouri. I wasn't as enchanged with the defense's performance against Youngstown. It became unaggressive, which is contrary to Gibby's philosophy. I'm sure Gibby and Law School Hill sent a message that BYU will hear at 3:30 p.m. Saturday, September 24.

Reactions: countryroads89
Casteel wasn't fired nor was he let go or driven out. Casteel got a job offer from Rod at Arizona. He took it. As a matter of fact he also had a Vanderbilt offer as well.

Casteel was driven out by Dana. MOst of the defensive staff was let go and Casteel was told he could stay if he wanted to but the message was sent.

That's what happens when a new boss comes to town. You can call it "driven out" if you want, but that's just how the business works.

A HC wants his own hires. That's part of their job, assembling a staff. When a coach is fired, that staff knows what's coming.

Driving Casteel out also was a mistake, and Dunlap, too.

With the exception of 96 Dunlap's Defenses were average at best.

Driving Casteel out also was a mistake, and Dunlap, too.

With the exception of 96 Dunlap's Defenses were average at best.

That sounds a lot like saying, Other than the 4 national titles, Alabama was average at best the other 3 seasons.

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O rdinary against Youngstown, 38-21

U nnerve BYU

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

E rectile dysfunction Oklahoma

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

No oversight whatsoever. Damn right it was Ollies fault.
the problem here is Ollie was catching a lot of crap for forcing Casteel and co on Dana so the political pressure was on Ollie to let Dana pick his staff. From what I understand Dana said, "let me pick my people or I cant stay".

In the interest of challenging revisionist history:

Nearly every AD lets the head coach pick his staff, but then the head coach gets fired if he choose wrong. So don't blame Oliver Luck for DeForest. That was a Red Bull mistake, big time.

Driving Casteel out also was a mistake, and Dunlap, too. WVU's defense was nationally ranked with those two. Dana tried to make amends by bringing in Gibson, who learned under Casteel, back to WVU.

And I'll be the first to say that Gibby is a better DC than Casteel, and both WAY better than the defense coaches between those two. Gibby took Casteel's defense, added unpredictability and aggressiveness to it, changing bend but don't break to take a chance and let's get the suckers.

I think we all agree that DeForest was a calamity. But that's on Dana. Just as it's to Dana's credit that, after seeing what a mess he made by, in effect, replacing Casteel with DeForest (NO ONE would make that switch, right?), brought in Gibby.

Oliver Luck was the most qualified athletic director in WVU history, even better than Fred Schaus and Legs Hawley. Yes, I disagreed with my good, late friend Mickey Furfari about that, to his face, and Mickey had NO problem with us being on opposite sides on that issue. That was the Mickey I knew.

Gibby took a defense that lost 9 starters from the 2015 team that put 6 in the NFL, 4 via the first 3 rounds of the draft, and manhandled Missouri. I wasn't as enchanged with the defense's performance against Youngstown. It became unaggressive, which is contrary to Gibby's philosophy. I'm sure Gibby and Law School Hill sent a message that BYU will hear at 3:30 p.m. Saturday, September 24.

Best post of the thread!

Love it. Where is that damn RELAX hat. Nothing pissed me off more than that damn had during an interview after a game when he was defensive coordinator.

Do you have doFo's hat confused? I though it was a Redneck hat. Young kids can get by with this sort of thing. But.........................not an adult this mans age.

Do you have doFo's hat confused? I though it was a Redneck hat. Young kids can get by with this sort of thing. But.........................not an adult this mans age.
When we were getting torched on defense in the middle of the 2012 season Defo was wearing a hat in the after game interviews that had RELAX in huge letter on the front of it. To me it was his message to everyone.

When we were getting torched on defense in the middle of the 2012 season Defo was wearing a hat in the after game interviews that had RELAX in huge letter on the front of it. To me it was his message to everyone.

It was a gigantic Douche bag move.

Goes to show you though, if you party with the right people it comes in handy.

Guy should have never been hired or even considered.

It was a gigantic Douche bag move.

Goes to show you though, if you party with the right people it comes in handy.

Guy should have never been hired or even considered.

I didn't know about the Relax hat that defo was sporting in the wrong place at the wrong time. I think the hat really said...................RELAX and take my bankroll to Wells Fargo. Make it quick................ole son!

I keep thinking - Kansas has resources, a helluva basketball program, a big revenue stream from the Big 12 - all they have to do is get better coaching. Then they hire DeForest. They are stinking it up against Memphis, down 19-0.

lol, that was Ollie that made the decision to pull that plug.
All Ollie could do was encourage it. It's still the head coach's call on staff assignments. Good news is Dana hasn't shied away from changing things when it isn't working.

No WVU fan is sad to see DeForest gone. To say otherwise is just to troll.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT