ADVERTISEMENT

In Holgorsen's 8 seasons at WVU, a QB that he recruited out of high school started and won a single FBS game.

Still waiting on why if they were out of High School mattered.

Bottom line is Trickett, Howard and Grier were all 3 really good Qbs that Holgorsen recruited.

Out of High School is an irrelevant issue. It's like saying an NBA player from Europe and not a American born and bred kid is somehow a negative.

Dumb

I think it speaks to development. I highly doubt ALL those QBs he recruited from high school were complete flops. Given most players out of high school are not ready to play D1 football as true freshmen, its expected that even a talented recruit is going to need to be developed. Yet DH couldn't take any of the 3 or 4 star recruits and mold them into a Brad Lewis like back-up. All the starting QBs that you mentioned he recruited came into the program already able to play at the collegiate level and didn't require much more than learning the offense. Hence its a bit of a problem when your entire scheme is centered around the QB position and over 8 years you have not been able to develop raw talent at that position to even a serviceable back-up player.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Should research the interest WVU had in Joe Burrow.

Not many programs saw him as a great QB. He actually had to work for his scholarship at Ohio State.

He was from an area of the country WVU looks at a lot of players but let's not act like Dana's program had zero eye for QB talent.

You judge a coach by what players they recruited
Then you judge him by the percentage of those recruitments he can win.

As of right now...
The DE who flipped to Michigan would be a win.

In the future for Neal Brown he has start winning those recruitments

If you go through the years you could see where Dana and his program were at
Wasn't good enough for where the fanbase wants to be.

Still waiting on why if they were out of High School mattered.

Bottom line is Trickett, Howard and Grier were all 3 really good Qbs that Holgorsen recruited.

Out of High School is an irrelevant issue. It's like saying an NBA player from Europe and not a American born and bred kid is somehow a negative.

Dumb

Let me know when you can build depth at QB with transfers. Eventually you don't get a good one and you're screwed.

Not many programs saw him as a great QB. He actually had to work for his scholarship at Ohio State.

He was from an area of the country WVU looks at a lot of players but let's not act like Dana's program had zero eye for QB talent.

His eye was for transfers. One day you don't get a transfer and you suck because you could not groom a QB from HS.

You are partially correct because you can't make excuses.

He relied on transfers because he couldn't get his QBs out of high school.

I have to have a deep knowledge of WVU recruiting under Dana but I really don't.
You have to look at the players he went after as well.

I know Joe Burrow though.

But the transfers happened because he wasn't landing his QBs.
But he wasn't improving his ability to recruit. He was waiting around for the schools to let one go.
He got lucky with Will Grier.

If he could have gotten Grier out of HS he would have though

You can say that.
At least his program. He really wasn't improving his ability to recruit

I will use this for example.
When Herman was at Houston he went all in for CeeDee Lamb. Lamb wasn't highly regarded by any of these services but was someone who stood out at camps.
He ended up committing to OU
When Herman and his staff arrived at Texas one of the first players they really tried to flip was CeeDee Lamb.

Jamie Newman definitely wasn't a highly regarded recruit

You have to say what happened there between him and WVU

People don't give a flip about Texas on this board.

MinorWhichArgentinehornedfrog-max-1mb.gif

On WVU.

Are their fans the type that came of families that had to play with dominoes because playing cards were from the Devil.

Maybe they can mess with Texas and their type of schools. Matters where their fanbase is at.
Some schools in the Big 12 obviously can't.
West Virginia wins some Big 12 championships in football then they can talk shit

On WVU.

Are their fans the type that came of families that had to play with dominoes because playing cards were from the Devil.

Maybe they can mess with Texas and their type of schools. Matters where their fanbase is at.
West Virginia wins some Big 12 championships in football then they can talk shit

You arent from Texas, Chris.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
Ford Childress beat Georgia State in 2013.

All other FBS wins under Dana came with transfer QB's and QB's recruited by Stewart starting. (Geno Smith)

The list of QBs that Dana recruited and had to develop"
Paul Millard - 2011
Ford Childress - 2012
Chavas Rawlins - 2013 (enrolled in Jan. left after spring practices)
William Crest - 2014
David Sills V - 2015 (transferred at end of 2015 and returned 2017 to play WR)
Chris Chugunov - 2015
Cody Saunders - 2016 (career ending injury)
Trey Lowe III - 2018

had some promising dual threat QB JC players that never stayed or never played because of higher profile transfer QB's.

Not once throughout his entire stint with WVU did Holgorsen have a quarterback that he recruited at the high school ranks start more than three games in a season.
We never got to see his kid start though......just saying

On WVU.

Texas can't even dominate WVU like OU or even OSU can. Texas is far down the list to WVU fans. I'll talk shit when ever I want. Especially to a freaking troll.

Texas can't even dominate WVU like OU or even OSU can. Texas is far down the list to WVU fans. I'll talk shit when ever I want. Especially to a freaking troll.

We were talking about recruiting and I brought up an example.
You flipped out because of the team I brought up. If is funny

Joe Burrow played high school football in a small town less than 75 miles from the 'shoe. He wasn't some chump, as he put up eye-popping numbers in high school, and received a four-star rating. Like most Ohio high schoolers, his dream was to wear the Scarlet & Gray. Dana Holgorsen had no chance to land Burrow. Stay in your lane, bruh.

Dana was able to land one of his Top QBs this year
He brought back Shannon Dawson when he went to Houston.

Dawson is a decent evaluator.

You will see him depend less on transfers as we move forward

The expectations of competiting in the Big 12 mixed with not bringing in his recruits.

I am not familiar with the stories behind all the recruits and how heavily involved WVU was.

I see a lot of low 4 star guys/3 star guys WVU offered
Including Joe Burrow and Lamar Jackson.

Look at that year and look at the number of players who thought highly of both.

Joe Burrow played high school football in a small town less than 75 miles from the 'shoe. He wasn't some chump, as he put up eye-popping numbers in high school, and received a four-star rating. Like most Ohio high schoolers, his dream was to wear the Scarlet & Gray. Dana Holgorsen had no chance to land Burrow. Stay in your lane, bruh.

Well...

Burrow earned that scholarship.
His dream school was actually Nebraska.

A lot of his anger was because of Nebraska. But he earned that scholarship. He developed into that QB in HS.

Burrow tells the story himself. You don't have to tell it for him.

He was in Athens because his Dad was coaching there.
But his Dad is a former UNL player.

Well...

Burrow earned that scholarship.
His dream school was actually Nebraska.

A lot of his anger was because of Nebraska. But he earned that scholarship. He developed into that QB in HS.

Burrow tells the story himself. You don't have to tell it for him.

He was in Athens because his Dad was coaching there.
But his Dad is a former UNL player.
Burrow actually lived in The Plains, Ohio, which is a tiny town North of Athens, where Athens High School is located. You know nothing about him, other than what Google has told you. If you did, then you'd know that there was no chance that he was going to WVU, and you wouldn't have backed yourself into a corner. Now, you're pivoting and pounding your chest for Nebraska, a school that hates your new favorite school, Texas.

Burrow actually lived in The Plains, Ohio, which is a tiny town North of Athens, where Athens High School is located. You know nothing about him, other than what Google has told you. If you did, then you'd know that there was no chance that he was going to WVU, and you wouldn't have backed yourself into a corner. Now, you're pivoting and pounding your chest for Nebraska, a school that hates your new favorite school, Texas.

He was there because of Frank Solich...

If Frank Solich never took the job Jim Burrow would have never ended up there. So Joe Burrow would have never ended up in Ohio. I believe his Dad coached on Solich's staff for 13-14 years.

In regards to Ohio State. Convincing the staff that he was good enough was hard. But Burrow made it hard for Tom Herman to say no. Herman had enough pull to get him an offer.

He was there because of Frank Solich...

If Frank Solich never took the job Jim Burrow would have never ended up there. So Joe Burrow would have never ended up in Ohio. I believe his Dad coached on Solich's staff for 13-14 years.

In regards to Ohio State. Convincing the staff that he was good enough was hard. But Burrow made it hard for Tom Herman to say no. Herman had enough pull to get him an offer.
No sh1t, Sherlock. I may have grown up very close to where he did, moron. Frank Solich has kicked some Marshall a$$, which you know because you're a Marshall alumnus. I see that you're back to giving Tom Herman credit for everything. He sucks as a head coach. All the money in the World guarantees at least FOUR losses under Herman. He would have been fired at Ohio State by now with his mediocre record and lack of CFP appearances. He should thank God that Texas sucked so bad under Charlie Strong that he doesn't have to be compared to a good head coach.

No sh1t, Sherlock. I may have grown up very close to where he did, moron. Frank Solich has kicked some Marshall a$$, which you know because you're a Marshall alumnus. I see that you're back to giving Tom Herman credit for everything. He sucks as a head coach. All the money in the World guarantees at least FOUR losses under Herman. He would have been fired at Ohio State by now with his mediocre record and lack of CFP appearances. He should thank God that Texas sucked so bad under Charlie Strong that he doesn't have to be compared to a good head coach.

So you know the story of Nebraska and the Burrow family.
Solich is also from Nebraska. Coached there for a long time.

That was what drove him. Plus the fact that he grew.

Not many schools were high on him. When he showed up to throw for Herman he didn't have many offers.

Yes Dana and his staff saw the same things

Joe Burrow was loyal because Tom Herman was the first college coach to really believe in him. These are his own words
This is why he didn't look elsewhere

Solich got canned at Nebraska because Tom Osborne spoiled the 'huskers. Ex-Buckeye Bo Pellini was a better coach than the idiots that followed him, but got canned, too. Solich has done a helluva job at O.U., a terrible program before Jim Grobe arrived before Solich. Burrow grew up in Athens County from the age of nine. He's one of ours, no matter where he was born.

Back to my point...

Dana's program at WVU put out some quality QB offers.

I don't really have the deep knowledge of WVU recruiting to make a decision on any of them.

Always good to look at all the players that your program heavily recruited. Especially the non Top 100 recruits.

Like I said a good program starts winning those recruitments

We are back to recruiting and why it is so important.

You can be the best evaluator in the business but if those recruits aren't listening to your program it doesn't make a difference ...

I don't think I should comment
on this food-fight,
but you all can agree that
Ohio State "fuked up" -
letting Joe Burrow escape to LSU.

It's silly to argue -- that WVU even recruited Joe Burrow with the remote chance Joe Burrow almost attended WVU.

Don Nehlen actually Recruited more QualityFreshman QBs that actually attended WVU, then Pretty Boy
( over an 8 year stretch, as an example of WVU potential recruiting)

He just slapped around Ole Miss for a QB.

Kiffin looking like a clown still looking for a QB.
When Dana took the Houston job he was one of the first guys he brought in. Dawson is a Baton Rogue guy. Wasn't working for WVU

He just slapped around Ole Miss for a QB.

Kiffin looking like a clown still looking for a QB.
When Dana took the Houston job he was one of the first guys he brought in. Dawson is a Baton Rogue guy. Wasn't working for WVU

Yes, not as a recruiter but Shannon Dawson can coach.

We've already established that Holgerson didn't have a long-term plan about anything.

Ps...think both Darius Reynauld and Chris Henry was from New Orleans but it took Calvin McGee at that time to secure those players....Chris Henry was a prop48....that was then this is now

Last edited:
I don't think I should comment
on this food-fight,
but you all can agree that
Ohio State "fuked up" -
letting Joe Burrow escape to LSU.

It's silly to argue -- that WVU even recruited Joe Burrow with the remote chance Joe Burrow almost attended WVU.

Don Nehlen actually Recruited more QualityFreshman QBs that actually attended WVU, then Pretty Boy
( over an 8 year stretch, as an example of WVU potential recruiting)
I hear ya, but it isn't that simple. Dwayne Haskins, the No. 15 pick in the 2019 Draft, beat out Joe, fair and square, and had a much better 2018 campaign than Burrow had at LSU. Urban was ridiculed when he repeatedly told the Media that Haskins and Burrow were neck and neck when they competed for the starting job because the clear consensus was that Haskins was better, and he was so in 2018. Nobody expected Joe to blow up as he did in 2019, and given that Dwayne was so good, I don't fault Ohio State for choosing Haskins, and certainly don't blame Burrow for transferring, as it gave Joe a season to get his feet wet, then blossom into a superstar in 2019.

Reactions: mofo
Tom Herman respected Burrow for two reasons
1) His desire to improve
2) His confidence. Poise

Burrow had a great year in 2018. Just flew under the radar. Kept telling people last year I was worried about LSU opening up their offense because of Burrow.

Haskins isn't the QB that Burrow is.
The injury to Burrow caused a lot. But Ryan Day liked Haskins arm strength. Not every QB is for every coach.

Ohio State made a mistake but the injury to Burrow made it much easier to make that mistake

See offensive line. See Kendall getting rid of the ball early before being pummeled to the ground. If you're not mobile when you have a the worst offensive line in college football then you're a sitting duck.
There’s truth to that, but you saw the same weaknesses against EKU.

Yes, not as a recruiter but Shannon Dawson can coach.

We've already established that Holgerson didn't have a long-term plan about anything.

Ps...think both Darius Reynauld and Chris Henry was from New Orleans but it took Calvin McGee at that time to secure those players....Chris Henry was a prop48....that was then this is now
Henry from Belle Chase was the best athlete in the area his senior year. Very underdeveloped however. That and being a prop keep a lot of schools away. Reynaud from Boutte was the best running back in the area. He was dominant in the playoffs. Those were two great pulls for WVU out of LA.

Henry from Belle Chase was the best athlete in the area his senior year. Very underdeveloped however. That and being a prop keep a lot of schools away. Reynaud from Boutte was the best running back in the area. He was dominant in the playoffs. Those were two great pulls for WVU out of LA.

Appreciated, nice flashback.
Great talent.

PricRod should have stayed at WVU.
No patience, to much arrogance.

PricRod simply did NOT love West Virginia and used WVU as a vehicle to pad his pockets.

Last edited:
There’s truth to that, but you saw the same weaknesses against EKU.

Yes true. Also saw he moved like his feet were in concrete blocks. You can see how slow he really is after watching Doege and Greene move around.

Ford Childress beat Georgia State in 2013.

All other FBS wins under Dana came with transfer QB's and QB's recruited by Stewart starting. (Geno Smith)

The list of QBs that Dana recruited and had to develop"
Paul Millard - 2011
Ford Childress - 2012
Chavas Rawlins - 2013 (enrolled in Jan. left after spring practices)
William Crest - 2014
David Sills V - 2015 (transferred at end of 2015 and returned 2017 to play WR)
Chris Chugunov - 2015
Cody Saunders - 2016 (career ending injury)
Trey Lowe III - 2018

had some promising dual threat QB JC players that never stayed or never played because of higher profile transfer QB's.

Not once throughout his entire stint with WVU did Holgorsen have a quarterback that he recruited at the high school ranks start more than three games in a season.

DH is gone. Permanently. Please move on.

Tom Herman respected Burrow for two reasons
1) His desire to improve
2) His confidence. Poise

Burrow had a great year in 2018. Just flew under the radar. Kept telling people last year I was worried about LSU opening up their offense because of Burrow.

Haskins isn't the QB that Burrow is.
The injury to Burrow caused a lot. But Ryan Day liked Haskins arm strength. Not every QB is for every coach.

Ohio State made a mistake but the injury to Burrow made it much easier to make that mistake
No, Ohio State didn't make a mistake in 2018. Haskins was the better quarterback in 2018. The numbers support me and crush you.

Dwayne Haskins' 2018 stats:

Passing

G Att Comp Pct. Yards Yards/Att TD Int Rating Att/G Yards/G
14 533 373 70.0 4831 9.1 50 8 174.08 38.1 345.1

Joe Burrow's 2018 stats:

Passing

13 379 219 57.8 2894 7.6 16 5 133.21 29.2 222.6

Stop pretending to be an expert on anything, other than creating more than 25 message board profiles to spread your Marxist propaganda.

No, Ohio State didn't make a mistake in 2018. Haskins was the better quarterback in 2018. The numbers support me and crush you.

Dwayne Haskins' 2018 stats:

Passing

14 533 373 70.0 4831 9.1 50 8 174.08 38.1 345.1

Joe Burrow's 2018 stats:

Passing

13 379 219 57.8 2894 7.6 16 5 133.21 29.2 222.6

Stop pretending to be an expert on anything, other than creating more than 25 message board profiles to spread your Marxist propaganda.

Barrow won the Heisman,
Haskins is still in development.

I'm not sure about Ohio State decision making process but Burrow is better, now.
Both are good but which one (Burrow or Haskins) will be Great is the debate.

Predicting the future is tricky,
but automatically stating Haskins was so much better than Burrow
(at that time)
might have got Urban retired, again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT