ADVERTISEMENT

I'm so glad Howard is gone...

Ole Warez appreciated The Sky. He was a fine player and WV was lucky to land the young feller. To bad he doesn't have another year to wear the gold and blue. He would break all the WVU records!

I'm thinking the answer is no

OK, Mr. Jacobs. What happens if the NCAA rules in July that Grier must sit out the first six games? We could have had a backup with real game experience if only the full fourth quarter of Texas Tech 48-17, Kansas 48-21, Iowa State 49-19 and even Oklahoma's 56-28 loss .

Another QB could have been given the freedom to run the entire offense and gain valuable real time experience. Instead they only helped signal in plays or carried a clipboard until the end. That is a damn good way to create another Scotty McBrien instead.

OK, Mr. Jacobs. What happens if the NCAA rules in July that Grier must sit out the first six games? We could have had a backup with real game experience if only the full fourth quarter of Texas Tech 48-17, Kansas 48-21, Iowa State 49-19 and even Oklahoma's 56-28 loss .

Another QB could have been given the freedom to run the entire offense and gain valuable real time experience. Instead they only helped signal in plays or carried a clipboard until the end. That is a damn good way to create another Scotty McBrien instead.
I will never for the life of me understand not giving your backup qb reps!!

Ole Warez appreciated The Sky. He was a fine player and WV was lucky to land the young feller. To bad he doesn't have another year to wear the gold and blue. He would break all the WVU records!
giphy.gif

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
Ole Warez sure would like to spit some Beechnut in some eyes around here. Not in anger but just to wake them up to themselves.

Reactions: Airport
Deal with it, If we had been playing Howard from the start, instead of backing up concussion in waiting Trick, he probably would have the record.
We play in a league where the offenses put up record numbers. There is a reason Baker Mayfield leads most QB stats and isnt coming out for the draft! Howard could throw a long jump ball and was good at touch passes, screens, and scrambling ( in a spread offense ). Howard will not be mentioned as one of the WVU greats because his accuracy was shit along with his decisions making. He will be remembered for being a below avg qb who benefited from this offensive system.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
We play in a league where the offenses put up record numbers. There is a reason Baker Mayfield leads most QB stats and isnt coming out for the draft! Howard could throw a long jump ball and was good at touch passes, screens, and scrambling ( in a spread offense ). Howard will not be mentioned as one of the WVU greats because his accuracy was shit along with his decisions making. He will be remembered for being a below avg qb who benefited from this offensive system.
What would you like to be remembered for?

Reactions: Airport

Your hate is full throated. Of all of our "great" QBs, only Hoss and Bulger had careers after of college. At least Howard won a bowl game, Major was 0-3. I don't think he was elite, never have. But some of the hate on this board is over the top. If Baker played for WVU and he said in his press conference that his goal was to win a national title and that was why he was coming back, you would be standing on your soapbox cheering him on. In case you didn't hear it, that's what Baker said, word for word.

Your hate is full throated. Of all of our "great" QBs, only Hoss and Bulger had careers after of college. At least Howard won a bowl game, Major was 0-3. I don't think he was elite, never have. But some of the hate on this board is over the top. If Baker played for WVU and he said in his press conference that his goal was to win a national title and that was why he was coming back, you would be standing on your soapbox cheering him on. In case you didn't hear it, that's what Baker said, word for word.
Of course, why would he say my size and arm strengths are big concerns, therefore i will stay in college to work on my skill set. Im not going to sit here and pretend he was one of the best we have ever had. Dana and company shined him up the best they could. He was no diamond in the ruff that every college coach missed by not offering him a scholarship. I beleive we have one of the most explosive offenses in the country and our qb play has crippled it. Mid range passes are non existent, simple fade routes are non existent, throwing the ball away is non existent (without getting a penalty ). Im glad Howard is gone and wish him luck in his future endeavors.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer

Baker Mayfield has absolutely nothing to do with Skyler Howard.

And you forgot to mention that Pat White was the first college qb to win four bowl games.

What would you like to be remembered for?
Idk. Just an honest appraisal. The thought of being remembered as something I wasnt, even if its positive, would not be appealing. I would hope a young man like skyler would, in the end, be remebered for being a great father, etc.

Baker Mayfield has absolutely nothing to do with Skyler Howard.

And you forgot to mention that Pat White was the first college qb to win four bowl games.

My response about Baker was Hogoshits comment about Baker not coming out cause he isn't good enough. Did pat make it in the NFL? No. Does that make him a worse college QB, no. That was my point. Howard had a decent career, better than a lot of our QBs.

My response about Baker was Hogoshits comment about Baker not coming out cause he isn't good enough. Did pat make it in the NFL? No. Does that make him a worse college QB, no. That was my point. Howard had a decent career, better than a lot of our QBs.
Hey airhead, i thought i was pretty clear in Baker not coming out because his draft stock would be better next year. Hes good enough to get drafted, but not as high as he will next year. OL will be much improved.

Pat White did play in the NFL. You are an idiot.

Reactions: HugoStiglitz
Hey airhead, i thought i was pretty clear in Baker not coming out because his draft stock would be better next year. Hes good enough to get drafted, but not as high as he will next year. OL will be much improved.

He has now lost is #1 receiver, and his two running backs. He will not have the weapons that he thought he would have. He might decide to come out now.

He has now lost is #1 receiver, and his two running backs. He will not have the weapons that he thought he would have. He might decide to come out now.
His size will be something he cant overcome, but with a good OL he should be able to work on foot work and arm strength.

He's the same height as grier and probably a few pounds heavier.
I think if he works on his mechanics and arm strength he will be a first rounder. If he was currently 6'4 it would be a different story. I think Grier has a good start on mechanics, at least i hope.

I think if he works on his mechanics and arm strength he will be a first rounder. If he was currently 6'4 it would be a different story. I think Grier has a good start on mechanics, at least i hope.

Mayfield probably holds onto the ball too much for the pro game. We were lucky to find Skyler cause we sure didn't have anybody else waiting to play. That's my only beef with the guys who constantly complain about him, we ahd nobody else and he competed as hard as he could. As I was leaving, a black man said I know the game didn't turn out the way you wanted but your QB played really hard and he liked the way he played. I hope Grier is eligible at the start of the year and is as good as we need him to be. If he is, we need to find two cornerbacks and we will have a good year next year too.

Mayfield probably holds onto the ball too much for the pro game. We were lucky to find Skyler cause we sure didn't have anybody else waiting to play. That's my only beef with the guys who constantly complain about him, we ahd nobody else and he competed as hard as he could. As I was leaving, a black man said I know the game didn't turn out the way you wanted but your QB played really hard and he liked the way he played. I hope Grier is eligible at the start of the year and is as good as we need him to be. If he is, we need to find two cornerbacks and we will have a good year next year too.
Im sure Mayfields "advisor" sat him down and said theres 2 starting qbs in the nfl under 6'2 (Wilson/Brees) and a former starter who was under 6'2 (Manziel); which one do you most resemble on the field? I thinks it was an easy decision to stay and work on Mechanics and evolve his game. Skyler had great moments and was a good scrambler. Some of the decisions he made baffled me though. Its extremely frustrating to see them light it up one week and look abysmal the next. I wish him the best and i think he did his best which I thank him for.

Im sure Mayfields "advisor" sat him down and said theres 2 starting qbs in the nfl under 6'2 (Wilson/Brees) and a former starter who was under 6'2 (Manziel); which one do you most resemble on the field? I thinks it was an easy decision to stay and work on Mechanics and evolve his game. Skyler had great moments and was a good scrambler. Some of the decisions he made baffled me though. Its extremely frustrating to see them light it up one week and look abysmal the next. I wish him the best and i think he did his best which I thank him for.

I appreciate the hard work he put in to be QB and his toughness. That's all you can ask for. If Grier is good to go and we start off hot, our games with both OU and OSU could be yuge.[banana]

Mr Walker there's not another QB on this years roster that can play at the Big 12 level. Here's the kicker. You don't realize that but Holgy does. So if the NCAA goes against Grier WVU is in trouble. Holgy realizes that.

Mr Walker there's not another QB on this years roster that can play at the Big 12 level. Here's the kicker. You don't realize that but Holgy does. So if the NCAA goes against Grier WVU is in trouble. Holgy realizes that.

OK, I assume you have seen several practices. So why did Coaches Holgorsen and Seider lie their asses off repeatedly saying Chugs was ready, knew the offense and probably had the best arm of the bunch? And as Coach Seider put it, could make all of the passes in the offense and do it easily. Also except for a redshirt, I heard Saunders was doing very well.

Just because Coach stuck with the starter no matter how bad of a game he may have had or how big the lead was, that does not mean the others could not have run the offense during a meaningless fourth quarter. I like Holgs, but I know of no other head coach who would have done that. Other teams did it against WVU repeatedly, sometimes with much success.

How does a P5 team end up with no QBs that can win against ranked teams? If the cupboard is truly bare, why are they not going after a JUCO or graduate transfer QB as a hedge? Inquiring minds can't help but wonder.

Crest is hinting on Twitter about a transfer, what is Chugs sticking around for? We treated Scotty McBrien the same way under Coach Nehlen and he kicked our ass at Maryland. Browning Nagle went to Louisville with no chance to play at WVU and became a star. My only real point is, why not give a backup QB a chance to show what he can do just like every other position when the game is decided? At least then he knows he has a shot at seeing the field and showing his talent. Isn't that all every backup hopes for and expects?

Crest is hinting on Twitter about a transfer, what is Chugs sticking around for? We treated Scotty McBrien the same way under Coach Nehlen and he kicked our ass at Maryland. Browning Nagle went to Louisville with no chance to play at WVU and became a star. My only real point is, why not give a backup QB a chance to show what he can do just like every other position when the game is decided? At least then he knows he has a shot at seeing the field and showing his talent. Isn't that all every backup hopes for and expects?

Cody Saunders will be the backup next year. Much more athletic

Funny! This turned into the Mr Walker thread hoping his "Holgy is a dumbass" point gets traction.

Mr. Jacobs, did you run out of reasonable retorts or are you just tired? It's Coach Holgorsen, not "Holgy" and he is not a dumbass. He is an up and coming P5 football head coach who is learning more and more from his mistakes each year. A perfect example would be his hiring choices with assistant coaches.

If I wanted a thread I would start one and I could not care less whether my point of view gets traction. I do appreciate the 'likes' I receive and I make certain to express my agreement likewise with posts I concur with including some of yours.

I see hope and promise in Coach Holgorsen and the WVU athletic programs in general, and I am a fan of the state, the school, the coaches and the team. Reasonable people can question or express curiosity regarding decisions made by those in power over any situation they care about.

I willingly pay to express and exchange thoughts and ideas here because I am a long time fan and this is a very active venue with many knowledgeable participants. I believe all of us here have been watching any given game and at some point wondered what the hell the coaches or players were thinking. Some of us just shake our heads and others yell and curse at the TV. I fall into the latter category.

I believe we are both fans who want WVU to succeed in everything. I may disagree with you but I do respect your opinion as I do most here. We simply disagree regarding WVU backup QBs receiving playing time. I believe it is safe to say the coaches and the QBs are not really concerned with either one of our opinions.

Its pretty clear the majority of Fluffer Holgorsen's disciples haven't got a clue about what a quality D1 QB is. When the Fluffer's henchmen went out recruiting Qb's a few years back they didn't find Howard at Saks Fifth Avenue. They found Howard on the Discount rack at Dollar General. If Fluffer holgorsen actually recruited a d1 Qb a few years ago then maybe Wvu would have won a game against a half decent team. Instead it was Tony Gibson's defense that saved the day and won 10 games.

Its pretty clear the majority of Fluffer Holgorsen's disciples haven't got a clue about what a quality D1 QB is. When the Fluffer's henchmen went out recruiting Qb's a few years back they didn't find Howard at Saks Fifth Avenue. They found Howard on the Discount rack at Dollar General. If Fluffer holgorsen actually recruited a d1 Qb a few years ago then maybe Wvu would have won a game against a half decent team. Instead it was Tony Gibson's defense that saved the day and won 10 games.

Yup Tony did a great job. But I believe it's a team game and WVU offense did it's job as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT