ADVERTISEMENT

If WVU loses the bowl game Dana is gone.

VaultHunter

All-Conference
Gold Member
Apr 16, 2014
Anybody actually think he survives if WVU loses to Arizona State? After a disappointing 2014 and dropping 2 games to teams WVU should have beaten (K State and ASU) and not being competitive in 3 of the 4 games against teams that are measuring sticks (Oklahoma, Baylor and TCU) plus blowing 1 game against a top 25 caliber program Oklahoma State (remember WVU was favored in that game) Dana will be gone. Buyout goes down. Plenty of time between now and then for Lyons/Gee to come up with a plan. And most of the coaching openings will be filled. If Dana blows this game how does Lyons not replace Holgorsen (or force him out) and convince Mountaineer fans, donors and boosters everything is just fine?

Why are you obsessed with eliminating Dana Holgorsen? What's in it for you personally?

I remember Ricardo getting butt-whupped out a few times in a particular season, including two blowouts by Maryland, one during the regular season and one in the Tire Bowl. For some strange reason Ed kept the dolt.

There's no way Lyons makes a coaching change AFTER the bowl game. Not enough time for a new staff to assemble and try to hold onto verbals and/or get new commits. It would destroy the recruiting class (not to mention screw over the kids verbally committed to us).

Regardless of whether you or anyone else thinks DH should be let go, it's not happening this year at this point. If he doesn't win the bowl game, he will be under that much more pressure next year to win (hotter seat).

There's no way Lyons makes a coaching change AFTER the bowl game. Not enough time for a new staff to assemble and try to hold onto verbals and/or get new commits. It would destroy the recruiting class (not to mention screw over the kids verbally committed to us).

Regardless of whether you or anyone else thinks DH should be let go, it's not happening this year at this point. If he doesn't win the bowl game, he will be under that much more pressure next year to win (hotter seat).
EXACTLY

Anybody actually think he survives if WVU loses to Arizona State? After a disappointing 2014 and dropping 2 games to teams WVU should have beaten (K State and ASU) and not being competitive in 3 of the 4 games against teams that are measuring sticks (Oklahoma, Baylor and TCU) plus blowing 1 game against a top 25 caliber program Oklahoma State (remember WVU was favored in that game) Dana will be gone. Buyout goes down. Plenty of time between now and then for Lyons/Gee to come up with a plan. And most of the coaching openings will be filled. If Dana blows this game how does Lyons not replace Holgorsen (or force him out) and convince Mountaineer fans, donors and boosters everything is just fine?

Dana is not going anywhere! I just read post like your and I am amazed!

If Dana loses the bowl game he is gone.......................to the bank to make another $60,000 deposit. Yes, he makes $60,000 a week and it mounts up fast. He can't possibly spend $60,000 a week so....................he must go to the bank every week!

This happens regardless of when a coaching change is made after the regular season. Verbals all back away, recruiting is in the dumps and a new staff takes some time to establish. Next year is a dumpster fire any way and I don't expect more than 4 wins next year with this team. A new coach is not going to change that much. It is the year after and the one after that that matters. Pulling the plug sooner gets you a jump start but waiting until after the bowl is not a deal breaker for an AD. It just complicates the life of the new coach and hey, he is paid to deal with those headaches. He will have his own recruits in the works, his own choices for a staff and his own way of doing things.

The coaches being snapped up right now and those that want to step up and I am not sure WVU needs one of those. We have one and it did not work out for us. We need someone that has his head in order and actually understands the job of HC and those guys that we want are coaching in a bowl game. They wont leave their schools until after that game. I see nothing wrong with the timing of waiting until January to hand the pink over.

If a change was going to be made, I think it should have already be made. At this point, I believe we stay with Holgorsen for one more year and see if he can turn things around, but not with a contract extension. He has plenty of opportunities to show the program is improving. We should beat an average or below Missouri team with a new coach and BYU, also with a new coach. We should also win a game or two that we are not expected to win. Again, at this point, getting rid of our head coach is a bad idea. If we did, I would hope the AD already had a quality replacement lined up. At this point, I just want to beat ASU.

If we lose the bowl game, ticket sales next year will plummet. They will be down regardless, but a bowl loss adds salt to the wound.

For talking purposes, to see what's at stake, let's say ticket sales go down 8,000 for season ticket sales. At roughly $600 dollars per season ticket (includes $125 MAC donation and $475 ticket, I'm purposefully picking toward the low end), that equates to a loss of about $4.8 million.

If we lose the bowl game, ticket sales next year will plummet. They will be down regardless, but a bowl loss adds salt to the wound.

For talking purposes, to see what's at stake, let's say ticket sales go down 8,000 for season ticket sales. At roughly $600 dollars per season ticket (includes $125 MAC donation and $475 ticket, I'm purposefully picking toward the low end), that equates to a loss of about $4.8 million.

Here's what people don't get.................. WVU fans show up for the opponent as much as our own team. It's one of the major flaws in our fan base. And that is why this little "ticket sales will be down next year" idea is hilarious.

In 2013, WVU won 4 games.............. the next season, tickets sales increased. Attendance increased. Why?

Towson
Oklahoma
Kansas
Baylor
TCU
KSU

A great home schedule. And what is happening in 2016?

Missouri
YSU
KSU
TCU
Kansas
Oklahoma
Baylor

Arguably the best home football schedule ever issued to fans by the AD....

I respectfully disagree. People aren't going to buy season tickets to see good teams kick our ass.

I respectfully disagree. People aren't going to buy season tickets to see good teams kick our ass.

Fans have been making purchases to see this type result for years. Not just WV fans but fans across the nation. Yes...................print the ticket and they will come. Why? Cause mens ain't got nothing else to do. The wife and kids just ain't enough. They gotta get that W from somewhere. Warez

Here's what people don't get.................. WVU fans show up for the opponent as much as our own team. It's one of the major flaws in our fan base. And that is why this little "ticket sales will be down next year" idea is hilarious.

In 2013, WVU won 4 games.............. the next season, tickets sales increased. Attendance increased. Why?

Towson
Oklahoma
Kansas
Baylor
TCU
KSU

A great home schedule. And what is happening in 2016?

Missouri
YSU
KSU
TCU
Kansas
Oklahoma
Baylor

Arguably the best home football schedule ever issued to fans by the AD....
That's only until the novelty of these teams coming to Morgantown wears off, which it has started to do.

Why are some people here frothing at the mouth at the idea that WVUs ticket sales would go down.

What sort of fan of a program wishes and hopes for this?

Not one.

I don't care if we lose by 30. Dana is not going anywhere so get over it.

Why are some people here frothing at the mouth at the idea that WVUs ticket sales would go down.

Not one.
I didn't hear anyone saying they wanted that to happen. I know I certainly do not. I don't like driving 6 hours to a game and the atmosphere be diminished. It is not wrong to see things for the way they are however. While I understand that not buying tickets is one way for fans to show their disapproval, I have never agreed with this stance. We need atmosphere at the stadium to reflect well on recruits that may be in attendance.

Fans have been making purchases to see this type result for years. Not just WV fans but fans across the nation. Yes...................print the ticket and they will come. Why? Cause mens ain't got nothing else to do. The wife and kids just ain't enough. They gotta get that W from somewhere. Warez

He's right. My old man would buy tickets during the Cignetti years for the Pitt and Penn State games alone. He wanted to see national championship contenders play. The other games he would give the tickets to my little brother and his buddies. Nothing like having a bunch of drunken 16 and 17 year old's raising Hell and crashing on your floor in a cramped apartment in the slums of South Park on a Saturday night.

Not one.

No one is excited about declining ticket sales. If we keep the same coach, you can bet your ass they will be down. Losing most of our defense, with a sub par QB, terrible play calling; you can keep your rose colored glasses on, but fans don't care to see that, regardless of who kicks our ass. Fact. And yes, I love the Mountaineers, I'm a huge fan. It's not wrong to want better for your Alma mater.

No chance WVU wins vs Arizona State. Basically a home game for them and Holgorsen will refuse to give the ball to Smallwood. If I was Holgorsen, Smallwood would touch the ball at least 30x this game especially since he'll be refreshed after time off to heal + no excuse of having to save him for grueling season since it's the last game of season and maybe even the last game of Smallwood in a WVU uniform. He should go NFL, IMO.

So after all these other positions have already been filled, who are you going to get? What quality candidates are available that haven't already been talked to and passed on the job or already took one of the available positions? You can't just magically get a coaching candidate. With as many openings as there were this year and many of them being premiere spots, the talent pool that's left is pretty shallow.

Jim Tressel. People keep saying he has 1 more year of bowl ban but that would easily be waived since he served almost his entire sentence. Plus, it's not like WVU is going bowling next year with Dana anyways, not with that OOC schedule, improved Big 12 schedule because majority of Big 12 opponents are only going to be better outside of TCU because they lose Boykin/Doctson but their defense will be far improved, losing valuable components from defense and Howard still at quarterback

So after all these other positions have already been filled, who are you going to get? What quality candidates are available that haven't already been talked to and passed on the job or already took one of the available positions? You can't just magically get a coaching candidate. With as many openings as there were this year and many of them being premiere spots, the talent pool that's left is pretty shallow.
What makes you think we would hire a former/current Head Coach? Holgorsen wasn't..Stewart wasn't...Rod wasn't...Nehlen? Not certain but definitely not from a major program. Ah yea....Bowling Green... Tressell! Really!! Why an old man with "questionable history"? We have not filled the head coach position with another coach of note since...?? Closest call would be Nehlen. My feeling is the only "head coach" of note that we are going to get is Rod and that brings mixed emotions from the fan base. As for season ticket sales...you can bet your first born son they will be down with Holgorsen still around. As was said, " I love Mountaineer football" however a 6 hour drive to see a butt whooping plus the associated costs.....nahhhh. Not when I can watch on tv and turn it off when Holgorsen forgets what down it is or that his quarterback has bad wheels and the last time he ran a play it was stuffed for a substantial loss. Really guys,,,we are paying a guy close to 3 mil a year and he will not even wear the colors that we proudly wear and grew up with. And we have to buy them while he gets them for free. He was not a good fit five years ago and he is not a good fit now.

What makes you think we would hire a former/current Head Coach? Holgorsen wasn't..Stewart wasn't...Rod wasn't...Nehlen? Not certain but definitely not from a major program. Ah yea....Bowling Green... Tressell! Really!! Why an old man with "questionable history"? We have not filled the head coach position with another coach of note since...?? Closest call would be Nehlen. My feeling is the only "head coach" of note that we are going to get is Rod and that brings mixed emotions from the fan base. As for season ticket sales...you can bet your first born son they will be down with Holgorsen still around. As was said, " I love Mountaineer football" however a 6 hour drive to see a butt whooping plus the associated costs.....nahhhh. Not when I can watch on tv and turn it off when Holgorsen forgets what down it is or that his quarterback has bad wheels and the last time he ran a play it was stuffed for a substantial loss. Really guys,,,we are paying a guy close to 3 mil a year and he will not even wear the colors that we proudly wear and grew up with. And we have to buy them while he gets them for free. He was not a good fit five years ago and he is not a good fit now.
lmao so wearing WVU apparel in black and gray is now unacceptable criteria for the head coach at WVU? How stupid lol

No one is excited about declining ticket sales. If we keep the same coach, you can bet your ass they will be down. Losing most of our defense, with a sub par QB, terrible play calling; you can keep your rose colored glasses on, but fans don't care to see that, regardless of who kicks our ass. Fact. And yes, I love the Mountaineers, I'm a huge fan. It's not wrong to want better for your Alma mater.

And some of you are here frothing at the mouth about the PROSPECT of ticket sales being down.

You don't know that ticket sales would be down, because you look at everything through hate, not reality. Wasn't it just this past year the troll brigade was at it again proclaiming ticket sale debacles--and the actual WVU fans came out and improved ticket sales.

You don't love the Mountaineers, because if you did you wouldn't spend a minute on public boards denouncing the program as you do. The only thing you've done is damage the program and in your ingorance you'll continue to do so.

And some of you are here frothing at the mouth about the PROSPECT of ticket sales being down.

You don't know that ticket sales would be down, because you look at everything through hate, not reality. Wasn't it just this past year the troll brigade was at it again proclaiming ticket sale debacles--and the actual WVU fans came out and improved ticket sales.

You don't love the Mountaineers, because if you did you wouldn't spend a minute on public boards denouncing the program as you do. The only thing you've done is damage the program and in your ingorance you'll continue to do so.
none of these trolls are good for the program. I have a major problem with Mitch vingle and bob hertzel. Vingle offers a mouth breathing opinion piece without sources and the Washington post picks it up as fact boasting that "WVU considering firing Holgorsen". That hurts recruiting tremendously. Those minimum wage, minimum skill sports beat writers are damn lucky I'm not their boss. It would be their last article.

I'm not denouncing the program. Grow up, Junior. You really sound immature. I'm saying it's time to get rid of our inept coach. I expect better for our program and MY Alma mater. I really doubt you actually went to school at WVU. If you don't think ticket sales will be down next year, that's your prerogative. 42,000 at Iowa State wasn't impressive. There's a sign. My main point in mentioning ticket sales was to show that about an 8,000 drop in tickets equates to about $5 million.

And to say that people will buy tickets just because we play good teams, regardless of how bad we are, is asinine.

I'm not denouncing the program. Grow up, Junior. You really sound immature. I'm saying it's time to get rid of our inept coach. I expect better for our program and MY Alma mater. I really doubt you actually went to school at WVU. If you don't think ticket sales will be down next year, that's your prerogative. 42,000 at Iowa State wasn't impressive. There's a sign. My main point in mentioning ticket sales was to show that about an 8,000 drop in tickets equates to about $5 million.

And to say that people will buy tickets just because we play good teams, regardless of how bad we are, is asinine.
lol it was thanksgiving break week for the students. They were gone. And it was first week of hunting season. You stupid mouth breather lol

lol it was thanksgiving break week for the students. They were gone. And it was first week of hunting season. You stupid mouth breather lol

It sure as hell hasn't mattered in years past. I can remember playing Pitt on Thanksgiving day with the temperature about 25 degrees and the stadium was completely full. But go ahead and tell me how stupid I am and the students were gone and it was hunting season and the weather blah blah blah.

Correction, the temperature was 18 degrees with a 9 mph wind.

Last edited:
It sure as hell hasn't mattered in years past. I can remember playing Pitt on Thanksgiving day with the temperature about 25 degrees and the stadium was completely full. But go ahead and tell me how stupid I am and the students were gone and it was hunting season and the weather blah blah blah.
yeah because playing 3-9 Iowa state is the same as the backyard brawl. Idiot. Not to mention, attendance is down across the entire landscape of college football. I bet a lot of fans watched on tv though. Get a clue.

"While rainy weather, the Thanksgiving holiday and a 3-8 opponent were all contributing factors in the home finale, the WVU administration has to be concerned about declining attendance at Mountaineer Field.

When then-athletic director Oliver Luck made the decision to get rid of Bill Stewart following the 2010 season, he cited attendance as a sign that Mountaineer fans were losing interest in the program.

That year, WVU averaged 56,325 fans in seven home games. This year in seven home games, the Mountaineers averaged 54,825 fans and Saturday’s crowd of 42,446 was smaller than any crowd that turned out to see Stewart’s team in 2010.

While better opponents are visiting Mountaineer Field now that WVU is now a Big 12 member, meaning national powers like Texas and Oklahoma are making trips to Morgantown, fans still aren’t turning out on a regular basis five years into Holgorsen’s tenure."

http://www.register-herald.com/spor...cle_692e4bd3-7aba-5fb5-9ca4-10d1c4a5ea2b.html

Reactions: bEER_Nation13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT