ADVERTISEMENT

Holgerson: Lucky to Have Him.

There's a difference between taking shots at people you are the boss of as opposed to people that are supposed to be the boss over you. Especially in a televised press conference.

Mountaineers are always free. Dana is a Mountaineer.

Truly funny. Believe Lyons would joyously volunteer to pay the travel expenses for Dana to go for an interview were another team's AD to show real interest (maybe even spring for this with funds from his own pocket).

Well Lyons wouldn't have to pay for any fees since no other AD has shown any interest to date.

There's a difference between taking shots at people you are the boss of as opposed to people that are supposed to be the boss over you. Especially in a televised press conference.

My point is, and you seemed to have missed it, is that he took no shot at Lyons. He was just being his usual forthright self ... pointing out the obvious.

Those other examples were examples of him being forthright, not taking shots. He did the same with Lyons.

But hey .... I get it .... you need the drama so in your eye he took a shot.

If any of those sports writers who were actually in the room truly believed he took a shot at Lyons they would be stirring the pot on the story because it really would be a story.

But they are not because it wasn't a shot at Lyons. They were there and they know it was just Dana being his usual forthright self.

And further ..... to Dana's credit .... he said we would have to wait until after season to see if the KSU win actually gives him a bump. That's just another instance of Dana being forthright.

I truly believe the guy when he says he isn't obsessed with certain things. He's doing his best, won 9 of the last 10, and has a team that enjoys playing together. He'll just take things one game at a time and see where things are at the end of the season.

It was the media who brought up the topic. Not Dana. And no one in the media is saying that Dana took a shot at Lyons. And they were in the room with both of them.

Premature ejaculation .... can you say that on a chat board?
Think about how many posters could be offended by that comment!

This chat board should be a safe place where no one is made to feel uncomfortable over their sexual performance.

The hate speech must stop!

It's a grammatical term. Look it up. And WHERE is your mind anyway!

:sunglasses:

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O rdinary against Youngstown, 38-21

U nnerving miracle goalline tip/interception escapes BYU, 35-32

N o quit against Kansas State, 17-16

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

E rectile dysfunction Oklahoma

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor
[WVU]

Unless, it's Nick! :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:[WVU][WVU][WVU][WVU]

Oh, brother, wherefor art thou?

All the Monongah High alumni will get it.

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

Reactions: AirForceer
CFE seems like a great guy. Loyal Mountaineer, sports knowledge, etc. But he seems to have a preoccupation with certain sexual aspects. He always works "Erectile Dysfunction" into his football season word game year after year.

At his age and as active as he is I would bet there are a bunch of ladies who would seek his company, if you know what I mean.

Flattery will get you ...... $50. Where do I mail it?

By the way, according to the national average, I am 33% beyond average.

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

It's a grammatical term. Look it up. And WHERE is your mind anyway!

:sunglasses:

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor
[WVU]

Where is my mind?

My mind, and my heart, are with the victims of your oppressive hate speech. We need a safe zone on this board to protect the masses from your sexually judgmental speech. There is no room for shame on this train.

Reactions: AirForceer
It may have been a shot. If it was retribution, good for him. If he was seeking retribution, then there's a good chance he was wronged....right?

Maybe you feel everyone should kiss the ring worn on Sir Lyons' finger, but perhaps Mr. Holgorsen is his own man, making decisions freely, without fear of an overlord.

Isn't there a slogan about West Virginian's being free?

Sorry Dana isn't a sheep.

You're preaching to the choir. I'm in for Dana and an extension.

He still shouldn't have said anything like that. It was a petulant snarky move that really doesn't serve any purpose.

I believe 5-6 years is needed for a program to transition to a Power 5 Conference. Dana has fortified an under-sized roster, increased quality depth to allow us to be competitive, even as injuries take their toll in a physically-demanding conference. Four years ago, I predicted total season wins to be 4,7,8, and 9. I was on-target on the first three years--9 wins is what I forecasted for the 2016-2017 season which could be realistic with a 4-0 start. Dana is right where he should be in my opinion as far as his performance is concerned. If we need to re-evaluate someone, it should be our AD, Shane Lyons, who has put our coaching staff in a tenuous position by virtue of lukewarm support for a coach, in Dana Holgerson, who has performed admirably. In the process, we have lost a couple Assistant coaches and a few prospective recruits. Dana is going to have a great year and then he will bid Lyons farewell. He has made WVU's football program stronger and more competitive. We have beaten every team in the B12 with the exception of Oklahoma. And no one puts more WRs, in particular, in the NFL--a plus when it comes to attracting talented recruits. Dana has been loyal to his team and to WVU. We owe him a good measure of support and respect. Those who lack the "big picture" fail to realize how valuable Coach Dana Holgerson has been.
Im not sure how to respond other then to say Dana has not won on a high level yet at WVU, and I can go down a list of mistakes that have taken place under Dana including the highest turnover rate of any staff in the country over this same time period. I will agree with some that TCU transitioned better then we did and that still is a little surprising to me. Bottom line, Dana is getting better, and I do think the pressure Gee and Lyons are putting on Dana to improve is getting results. It almost seems Dana was aware that Ollie would have his back no matter what, so the added pressure to perform almost seems like its helping. Things at WVU are getting better, so lets what and see how Dana finishes the season, and lets see how both sides handle the contract discussions before we decide to give him another five years of guaranteed money.

Premature ejaculation .... can you say that on a chat board?
Think about how many posters could be offended by that comment!

This chat board should be a safe place where no one is made to feel uncomfortable over their sexual performance.

The hate speech must stop!

That just triggered me...........

I'm not sure it was r
Im not sure how to respond other then to say Dana has not won on a high level yet at WVU, and I can go down a list of mistakes that have taken place under Dana including the highest turnover rate of any staff in the country over this same time period. I will agree with some that TCU transitioned better then we did and that still is a little surprising to me. Bottom line, Dana is getting better, and I do think the pressure Gee and Lyons are putting on Dana to improve is getting results. It almost seems Dana was aware that Ollie would have his back no matter what, so the added pressure to perform almost seems like its helping. Things at WVU are getting better, so lets what and see how Dana finishes the season, and lets see how both sides handle the contract discussions before we decide to give him another five years of guaranteed money.

Orange Bowl win is a pretty high level.

He hasnt won at a high level yet? You might want to look over his wins here. He has beaten some good to great teams.

He hasnt won at a high level yet? You might want to look over his wins here. He has beaten some good to great teams.

Really? First the Orange Bowl was won with someone else's players and coaching staff, so although a great win let's concentrate on the B12's record.

2012- beat #25 Baylor and #11 Texas, not bad but the rest of the wins were against st unranked teams, bad OOC teams and the bottom of the B12. Lost bowl game.

2013-beat #11 OK St and lost to both KU and ISU. Not a great year.

2014- beat #4 Baylor. Lost bowl game.

2015- beat no ranked teams, but won the bowl game.

2016- the jury is still out.

I want to see the team and coaches do well, but let's not revise history.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer

It really wouldn't matter if Dana did win at whatever level Alleers thinks is a high level because eventually Dana wouldn't quite maintain that level and the same crowd would trash Dana for slipping.

Really? First the Orange Bowl was won with someone else's players and coaching staff, so although a great win let's concentrate on the B12's record.

2012- beat #25 Baylor and #11 Texas, not bad but the rest of the wins were against st unranked teams, bad OOC teams and the bottom of the B12. Lost bowl game.

2013-beat #11 OK St and lost to both KU and ISU. Not a great year.

2014- beat #4 Baylor. Lost bowl game.

2015- beat no ranked teams, but won the bowl game.

2016- the jury is still out.

I want to see the team and coaches do well, but let's not revise history.
Now show us all the ranked teams Nehlen, Rodriguez, and Stewart beat their first 5 years at WVU.

Now show us all the ranked teams Nehlen, Rodriguez, and Stewart beat their first 5 years at WVU.

The issue is that DH has beaten "some good to great teams", not what any other coach has done, so don't try to avoid the issue by trying to divert to others' past performance as it has nothing to do with your assertion.

Outside of the Orange Bowl and the one Big East season, Big 12 performance has not shown the consistent ability to beat "some good to great teams". In fact the record shows that the WVU FB team under DH has been able to beat one and sometimes two "good to great teams" per season, mixing in a victory or two with the unranked Big 12 opponents and consistently beating the bottom dwellers (with the exception of the 2013 team). All the other wins are the OOC teams that have been selected to take a early season beating. The one exception of opening against Alabama in Atlanta (which was actually a great performance against a great team).

So I would agree with you if the record showed that the WVU FB team under DH could consistently beat good to great teams every season, not just once in a while, which is where we are now.

Beat TTU, UT, OU and oSu this season and we'll talk again.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
Great post and analysis. We are ranked in both polls and 9-1 in the last 10 games. Coach Holgs is developing NFL quality players in numbers not seen before he arrived, the team is playing hard for Holgs and his decision to promote Gibson, while shocking to many, has provided outstanding results. He is a top tier offensive coordinator and has tremendous offensive talent at all positions returning next year. The program is trending upward. Shane Lyons has allowed chaos to reign over the program.

Which is why we must extend him an offer before someone else does.

Great post and analysis. We are ranked in both polls and 9-1 in the last 10 games. Coach Holgs is developing NFL quality players in numbers not seen before he arrived, the team is playing hard for Holgs and his decision to promote Gibson, while shocking to many, has provided outstanding results. He is a top tier offensive coordinator and has tremendous offensive talent at all positions returning next year. The program is trending upward. Shane Lyons has allowed chaos to reign over the program.

In the last ten games how many of those teams actually had winning records? What was Wvu's record in year 1 of big 12 play? what was it last year? Since wvu has been members of the big 12 they have placed more players in the NFL than another team outside of Oklahoma but have failed to finish anywhere close to the top. That signifies. underachievement. Holgorson caused this chaos by underachieving if luck was still here he would not have given Holgorson an extension.

And in other news .................... Enjoy the season and let the chips fall where they will. After the season reliable sources have said Mr. Lyons will seek the board's most knowledgeable, seek their input, and their expectations prior to making any decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: OlegeezEER
And in other news .................... Enjoy the season and let the chips fall where they will. After the season reliable sources have said Mr. Lyons will seek the board's most knowledgeable, seek their input, and their expectations prior to making any decisions.

Oh, I'm with you. WVU is no LSU and won't pull the trigger, if at all, before the end of the season.

How reliable are your sources?

Back to the premise of the OP, if it took me 5-6 years to transition and learn my job I would have been fired after year two.

But that's not an equitable comparison and "learning your job" is subjective in this example.

And besides, how could it POSSIBLY take you 2 years to learn how to stock shelves at Krogers?

Last edited:
Reactions: WVinUSAF
Back to the premise of the OP, if it took me 5-6 years to transition and learn my job I would have been fired after year two.
Dana has won 9 out of his last 10 games, including a bowl game. He's 4-0 now. And you talk about firing him for not learning his job? Lmao!

Ha, the irony that you are here to disparage those that are here.

I guarantee if Holgs wins 8+ games this year and Texas hires Herman, Houston will come a calling for Dana. Its almost a certainty.

I wouldn't say that the Houston job is a step up unless they land in the Big 12. Houston isn't going to pay Holgorson what he currently is making now. Houston more than likely will stick with the model they have used in the past hiring the next hot shot assistant. Its what they have always done.

I wouldn't say that the Houston job is a step up unless they land in the Big 12. Houston isn't going to pay Holgorson what he currently is making now. Houston more than likely will stick with the model they have used in the past hiring the next hot shot assistant. Its what they have always done.
I believe Houston is already paying Herman big money, more or equivalent to Holgorsen now.

I believe Houston is already paying Herman big money, more or equivalent to Holgorsen now.

Yes they doubled Herman's salary after season 1 based on his results they are not going to hire someone new at that pay rate. They will more than likely hire a Lincoln Reilly or some other hot shot assistant pay him 1.5 and then up his salary from there if he produces.

Houston is paying Herman what Holgs is making so.................I also never said that Houston was a step up.

Houston is paying Herman what Holgs is making so.................I also never said that Houston was a step up.

Briles was a former Houston coach and is currently unemployed If you're going to hire a guy at 3+ million something that Houston has never done then he would be a better choice he already had success there. More than likely they will hire another up and coming assistant just like they did with Briles,sumlin and herman. Its a much cheaper way to go.

Last edited:
Briles was a former Houston coach and is currently unemployed If you're going to hire a guy at 3+ million something that Houston has never done then he would be a better choice he already had success there. More than likely they will hire another up and coming assistant just like they did with Briles,sumlin and herman. Its a much cheaper way to go.

Holgs was a coach there too and his kid grew up there.

Holgs was a coach there too and his kid grew up there.

He was an assistant under Sumlim. Houston is not going to hire Dana Holgorson at 3 million a year when they have much cheaper options available. The only established coach out there they may consider is Briles. They will most likely hire Lincoln Riley or Gilbert or some other up and comer just like they did when sumlin and Briles where up and comers. If Dana Holgorson ends up being successful he will look to make the move To a top level Sec, Big 10 job. The only way he would go to Houston would be for added job security and less money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT