HCDH

12375CAT

All-Conference
Feb 15, 2012
Wish he had stayed
or
glad he is gone

We%20are%20big%2012_zps0wx6drqi.png

Liked Holgs overall. Hated some of what he did with the OL / DL especially recruiting.
A glad goodbye and welcome the new thinking, new era of NB.

Reactions: jerzac
Neal Brown gets the chance to prove himself. No matter what anyone says about Dana or says about Neal Brown it doesn't mean anything.
What does is what Neal Brown is doing to get ready for the season. We are going to be able to see the proof in 10 days.
Too close to actual football to worry about any of this because it will be all proven.

Doesn't bother me that he's gone. Would not have mattered to me if he stayed. He was OK coach but was still learning the job. He should have started out on Div. II or III level and moved up.

Reactions: Wahama78
I enjoyed the Dana years. I enjoyed the Rich years. I enjoyed the Don years. I will enjoy the Neal years. It's just the way I'm wired. If they are Mountaineers then I'm supporting them. Bring on the Dukes. Hopefully, they're not a Hazzard.

I guess you didn't like Bill Stewart. You left his name off. Or your dementia is kicking in.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Could care less. I think we got the right guy now though. Just crazy excited for next Saturday!!! WVU!!!

I am assuming you meant you couldn't care less. But that doesn't seem possible if you think the current coach is the guy. That means you didn't think Dana was the guy. If you did, you'd have to feel bad to a degree that he left. If not, you have to be glad to a degree he was replaced by a coach that has the chance to be "the guy"

I find it hard to believe people who act nonchalant saying they don't care at all. I understand the stand point of "who cares what our opinions are on water under the bridge." But people who say they do not personally care one way or the other are confusing. If you care about the Mountaineer football team in the slightest, you have to have an opinion on DH. Either you thought he was, or was growing toward being, the best coach for the job or you didn't. Hence you have to care a little one way or the other that he is no longer the coach. Personally I am of the glad crowd as I thought DH had reached his peak here and it was never going to be quite good enough to compete for the conference. Felt like he lacked the discipline and consistency to get above a decent showing with an upset occasionally season in and season out.

I am assuming you meant you couldn't care less. But that doesn't seem possible if you think the current coach is the guy. That means you didn't think Dana was the guy. If you did, you'd have to feel bad to a degree that he left. If not, you have to be glad to a degree he was replaced by a coach that has the chance to be "the guy"
Basically mean I’m just excited for this season. Sorry I didn’t say “couldn’t “ !!

Basically should’ve said I’ve moved on from Dana and ready for this season with our new “guy”!!

DH was putting pieces in place to have a more successful program in the toughest league in the country to win.

Now, the Mountaineers are going to start over almost from scratch.

Not excited for a long year with less success than what Holgorsen had been bringing and people acting as though that is ok or good.

Dana putting pieces together? Hell, he didn't even have a game board. The best team he had
(Orange Bowl) included Bill Stewart recruits - that's why it was good. i suggest that under
Dana we saw no improvement of the program, the team was not focused, undisciplined, and
during the season did not improvement and ran out of steam at the end of nearly all the games.
Other than all that he was fine.

Dana putting pieces together? Hell, he didn't even have a game board. The best team he had
(Orange Bowl) included Bill Stewart recruits - that's why it was good. i suggest that under
Dana we saw no improvement of the program, the team was not focused, undisciplined, and
during the season did not improvement and ran out of steam at the end of nearly all the games.
Other than all that he was fine.

Don't know what you mean--no improvement? WVU had begun competing in the toughest conference in the country and was a contender for the conference. Ranked much of the time at that.

WVU competed for the conference last year, and won 10 games just two years before that.

His win average was up there with the best coaches ever at WVU, but in the toughest league in the country and against the toughest schedules WVU ever faced in history of the program. WVU had multiple NFL caliber players under Holgorsen--some of the best talent ever at the school. WVU went from 8th in the conference the first 2 years WVU entered the BIG 12 to 4th place by the last 2 seasons, and finished as high as 3rd in 2016.

You seem to be mistaking winning the conference--a tough task for anyone especially with teams like title contending Oklahoma at the top--with improvement.

Now? WVU seems poised to dropping down to nowhere with a complete overhaul and rebuild and multiple departures.

Don't know what you mean--no improvement? WVU had begun competing in the toughest conference in the country and was a contender for the conference. Ranked much of the time at that.

WVU competed for the conference last year, and won 10 games just two years before that.

His win average was up there with the best coaches ever at WVU, but in the toughest league in the country and against the toughest schedules WVU ever faced in history of the program. WVU had multiple NFL caliber players under Holgorsen--some of the best talent ever at the school. WVU went from 8th in the conference the first 2 years WVU entered the BIG 12 to 4th place by the last 2 seasons, and finished as high as 3rd in 2016.

You seem to be mistaking winning the conference--a tough task for anyone especially with teams like title contending Oklahoma at the top--with improvement.

Now? WVU seems poised to dropping down to nowhere with a complete overhaul and rebuild and multiple departures.

So Neal Brown has already failed in your eyes?

Reactions: ChattanoogaEER
So Neal Brown has already failed in your eyes?

I think even Neal Brown is trying to lower fan expectations for this season.

People are trying to downrate Holgorsen so that Brown's likely results won't seem bad?

Makes no sense. WVU was in the top four in the conference and moving into consideration for the league championship under Holgorsen. Now it looks like ground zero.

There is no success at all yet under Brown. Hope one day he is good, but I don't want WVU starting over. That's where WVU is--all national expectations are WVU will not be good. Not ranked. Not in contention for anything--maybe not even a bowl game.

Not sure how people can celebrate that.

Dana is right where he belonged all along.

WVU has moved on to the type of Coach we have wanted all along.

It’s a win-win.

The type of coach wanted all along?

WVU fans want a winning coach. Holgorsen was that.

Brown hasn't won a single game. Don't prematurely annoint him.

I liked Dana's potential when he arrived and I'll admit the B12 is a huge challenge, but as we've learned he didn't put in a 100% effort (like making rare appearances at summer camps on campus). I guess we've never know why, with his reputation, he never brought in a great h.s. QB. Today, I love Neal Brown's efforts this summer. If he doesn't work out, maybe we need to consider WVU being a very difficult place to build a winner--especially against the likes of our B12 opponents.

Dana built a winner. I don't see how you can say he didn't.
Wasn't enough for some fans but Dana Holgersen won a lot of games at West Virginia.

It can get a lot worse than Dana for West Virginia. I don't think some people are understanding this point.
Every school in the Big XII even Oklahoma and Texas have had some bad seasons.

Dana was closer to the ceiling for WV than he was the floor.
Where Neal Brown fits is yet to be determined.

The success of any Dana coached team hinges on the offense. That offense is completely dependent on QB play. In 8 years, he always had to have a transfer that was already able to compete at the collegiate level. He never had the most important piece and we were always just keeping afloat in the JUCO pool. If not for Grier the last 2 seasons would've looked much more like the 4-8 team. The guy just didn't seem to develop players or value consistency. I think we was just slapping bandaids on the dam to keep from collapsing.

Was that because of Dana or the expectations.
Maybe the perceived expectations.
Dana thought that he had to win so he used transfers to find talent. If Dana would tell the story it would be a lot different than what some of you are saying

Dana is the definition of an average head coach. Easily replaceable. It was time for him to move on. Wvu will be better off in the long run

That belief could be setting Neal Brown up for failure.
Difference in wanting more and expecting more. I want more for WVU but I don't expect it because winning at a high level in this conference will take WVU to a level they may not have ever been at.

I think even Neal Brown is trying to lower fan expectations for this season.

People are trying to downrate Holgorsen so that Brown's likely results won't seem bad?

Makes no sense. WVU was in the top four in the conference and moving into consideration for the league championship under Holgorsen. Now it looks like ground zero.

There is no success at all yet under Brown. Hope one day he is good, but I don't want WVU starting over. That's where WVU is--all national expectations are WVU will not be good. Not ranked. Not in contention for anything--maybe not even a bowl game.

Not sure how people can celebrate that.

Do you believe that expectations would have been higher this year if Dana would have stayed?

I don't think anyone would have given us very good odds with what we had lost and the youth and inexperience returning. All of this certainly made it easier for Dana to leave for Houston while his name still had some value. After this year, and the lowered expectations by everyone - coaching staff, fans, the writers - his star would have been on the wane and the value he could receive at his next stop would have been less.

So, it would have been "ground zero" this year with or without Dana at the helm.

I agree that Brown hasn't won a game here yet. Still, people like his approach to the game, the fans, etc. better than they liked Dana's, generally speaking. Will that formula equal out to more success? Time will tell. I feel that's what has gotten fans "expectations" up more so than what the win total will be this year which likely wasn't going to be great regardless.

Dana built a winner. I don't see how you can say he didn't.
Wasn't enough for some fans but Dana Holgersen won a lot of games at West Virginia.

It can get a lot worse than Dana for West Virginia. I don't think some people are understanding this point.
Every school in the Big XII even Oklahoma and Texas have had some bad seasons.

Dana was closer to the ceiling for WV than he was the floor.
Where Neal Brown fits is yet to be determined.

Dude... just get out of here with that poor-mouthing of WVU. Nobody here is saying WVU is a blue blood, elite, but winning 8 games with the offensive talent WVU had last year is not the ceiling for WVU.

Texas’ 10-win season didn’t bring a win over WVU, and we played you in Texas with every B.S. call you refs could muster.

Dana will do wonderful at Houston, but he was not the ceiling for WVU.

Reactions: pressvirginia
Was that because of Dana or the expectations.
Maybe the perceived expectations.
Dana thought that he had to win so he used transfers to find talent. If Dana would tell the story it would be a lot different than what some of you are saying

That is the dumbest thing you have ever said. Oh my gosh... Dana thought he had to win... that has never happened to a head football coach before.

Do you even think about what you are saying?

I have explained it to you before, and clearly you can’t grasp it, so I am not wasting my time doing it again with someone that doesn’t want to grasp reality.

Do you believe that expectations would have been higher this year if Dana would have stayed?

I don't think anyone would have given us very good odds with what we had lost and the youth and inexperience returning. All of this certainly made it easier for Dana to leave for Houston while his name still had some value. After this year, and the lowered expectations by everyone - coaching staff, fans, the writers - his star would have been on the wane and the value he could receive at his next stop would have been less.

So, it would have been "ground zero" this year with or without Dana at the helm.

I agree that Brown hasn't won a game here yet. Still, people like his approach to the game, the fans, etc. better than they liked Dana's, generally speaking. Will that formula equal out to more success? Time will tell. I feel that's what has gotten fans "expectations" up more so than what the win total will be this year which likely wasn't going to be great regardless.

Part of the reason Dana left was because he knew things would be tough this season. Even if he stayed, we are looking at probably the same 5-7 wins we should end up with under Brown, at best.

Dana didn’t want the pressure of having expectations, so he left. I don’t see how anyone can fault him for going somewhere he thought was a better situation for him.

That is the dumbest thing you have ever said. Oh my gosh... Dana thought he had to win... that has never happened to a head football coach before.

Do you even think about what you are saying?

I have explained it to you before, and clearly you can’t grasp it, so I am not wasting my time doing it again with someone that doesn’t want to grasp reality.

Whose reality?
Yours.

Dana Holgersen relied on transfers because he couldn't recruit the needed talent out of high school.
It is his story why he relied on transfers. Not yours.
All coaches feel like they have to win. But not all coaches are in similar circumstances.
Oklahoma gets mainly top tier talent. For WV to compete with that they must bring in similar talent. Dana thought the best way was to get transfers.
Neal Brown is doing a similar thing. He has said he rather not. We will see what happens.

Dude... just get out of here with that poor-mouthing of WVU. Nobody here is saying WVU is a blue blood, elite, but winning 8 games with the offensive talent WVU had last year is not the ceiling for WVU.

Texas’ 10-win season didn’t bring a win over WVU, and we played you in Texas with every B.S. call you refs could muster.

Dana will do wonderful at Houston, but he was not the ceiling for WVU.

How is the poor mouthing WV saying that Dana was closer to the ceiling than the floor.

WV had a solid team last year. But it had huge holes that caused them to lose a few games.
I do think West Virginia could create a better team but to say that Dana underachieved somehow isn't all the way true. He came pretty close to getting the most out of that team. I don't think he handled certain games correctly but that style helped him win a few others so it evened out.

Part of the reason Dana left was because he knew things would be tough this season. Even if he stayed, we are looking at probably the same 5-7 wins we should end up with under Brown, at best.

Dana didn’t want the pressure of having expectations, so he left. I don’t see how anyone can fault him for going somewhere he thought was a better situation for him.

Exactly. His stock was really at its highest point at the end of last season. He knew that if he had the season that everyone expects - say 6 wins give or take one - his value is going to be a lot less. He saw the writing on the wall when he wasn't renewed so he did what he thought was his best option - going to Houston.

This year we'd be lucky to win 7 games with Saban coaching us. I don't think, as Buck wrote, its lowered expectations. I just feel its more the fans realize this year was going to be a rebuilding year no matter who the coach is or was.

For me personally, as long as we make progress from Game 1 to Game 2 all the way to Game 12 it will be a successful season no matter what the win-loss record is.

Reactions: Wahama78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT