ADVERTISEMENT

Does WVU have any real "rivalries" left?

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
Conference games are conference games....important yes...but true rival games not so much...yet.

No Pitt. No Penn State. No Syracuse. No Virginia Tech. No Maryland. None of these guys on a regular, "look forward to next year" basis. No bus trips. No day drives. Instead we have our made for TV schedule...with games against teams in places most of us have never visited..

I like looking at the schedule and seeing Oklahoma, Texas etc on the schedule. Big games for sure but still miss the neighborhood fights with other regional schools that WVU played since the turn of the 20th (not the 21st) century.They had a different level of emotion.

Perhaps a schedule that calls for two old rivalry games a year...one away and one home along with another power conference game would be the ticket. It could be done at a target date in the future. Certainly beats a paid for victory at home against the likes of William and Mary, Liberty, Georgia Southern etc. Would also add to fan involvement and RPI as well.

I think we have all of them except Cuse on future schedules. Unfortunately we may not play any of them annually like the old days unless there is future realignment that gets us back where we belong.

Until, then I do think we are trying to schedule traditional rivals when possible.

I assume you mean 2017 when we play VT.

....next year is BYU...yet another team WVU has little, if any, history against and not an ounce of a rivalry.

No I meant 2016. DC is a day trip game...rivalry or not. A great matchup

Oh, in that case it was totally off-topic. Plus, we get our share of 'great matchups' (not against a traditional rival) without even leaving Morgantown.

You could have simply admitted you made a small error.....but no. It's your MO.

Reactions: CT Mountaineer
Oh, in that case it was totally off-topic. Plus, we get our share of 'great matchups' (not against a traditional rival) without even leaving Morgantown.

You could have simply admitted you made a small error.....but no. It's your MO.
I know it is Christmas time and a time for joy but if I was as miserable as you I think I would kill myself.....consider it.

Constantly smarmy, condesending, and sarcastic is no way to go thru life. Small doses....small doses. Please reflect.

Pitt- Could care less about pitt-been there done that. Pro Stadium with no tailgatin and you have to take a ferry to get there. Plus the security staff there are Nazis when it comes to fan excitement. Sad to hear that Lyons agreed to play them. Maryland and VA have better recruiting, atmospheres, and fanbases. Work on those areas.
Penn State-ugh that was not a rivalry. If it was then Temple must have been a rivalry too. Similar winning percentage and dominance. Btw last time WVU played PSU was 92. Everyone has moved on.
Cuse-this is really a reach. That Schwartswalter trophy wasn't really that big and other than Graves hitting Tommy Orr in the back of the helmet in 92, not really a rivalry. That Graves deal was the biggest cheap shot I've seen in a WVU football game. F$&@ing John Sofi (he was the ref that day-and later went on to be head of officiating in the big LEAST) didn't throw him out for that.
VPI-back on the schedule in a few years
Maryland-back on the schedule in 2 years

I think rivalries change. Nebraska & Oklahoma moved on. It's like a divorce. Only a loser wants to get back together. Winners find someone new & move on.

Reactions: eerstheway
Hey now.....Bill and Mary used to be a rival too.

Like Citadel and the Furman Purple Paladins.

Last edited:
Conference games are conference games....important yes...but true rival games not so much...yet.

No Pitt. No Penn State. No Syracuse. No Virginia Tech. No Maryland. None of these guys on a regular, "look forward to next year" basis. No bus trips. No day drives. Instead we have our made for TV schedule...with games against teams in places most of us have never visited..

I like looking at the schedule and seeing Oklahoma, Texas etc on the schedule. Big games for sure but still miss the neighborhood fights with other regional schools that WVU played since the turn of the 20th (not the 21st) century.They had a different level of emotion.

Perhaps a schedule that calls for two old rivalry games a year...one away and one home along with another power conference game would be the ticket. It could be done at a target date in the future. Certainly beats a paid for victory at home against the likes of William and Mary, Liberty, Georgia Southern etc. Would also add to fan involvement and RPI as well.

If you can get fired-up for Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor, and TCU, you're officially dead, but don't know it yet. This year's version of Pitt, PSU, Maryland, and VT pale in comparison.

I dunno, Baylor and TCU are shaping up rather nicely.

I know it is Christmas time and a time for joy but if I was as miserable as you I think I would kill myself.....consider it.

Constantly smarmy, condesending, and sarcastic is no way to go thru life. Small doses....small doses. Please reflect.

Smarmy ? Yea, maybe at times.

Condesending ? Doubtful. Condescending ? Yea, maybe at times.

Sarcastic ? Yea, maybe at times.

Did I ever suggest another person should consider killing herself ? No, never... ...Internet or otherwise. Maybe you were being sarcastic (or even smarmy) but judging by your advertised distaste for people expressing themselves in such manners that doesn't seem reasonable.

Is suggesting that another person should consider suicide really more socially acceptable than the few minor gripes you have about my posting style ?

Smarmy ? Yea, maybe at times.

Condesending ? Doubtful. Condescending ? Yea, maybe at times.

Sarcastic ? Yea, maybe at times.

Did I ever suggest another person should consider killing herself ? No, never... ...Internet or otherwise. Maybe you were being sarcastic (or even smarmy) but judging by your advertised distaste for people expressing themselves in such manners that doesn't seem reasonable.

Is suggesting that another person should consider suicide really more socially acceptable than the few minor gripes you have about my posting style ?
to be frank, this is the first time in my life I've ever seen the word "smarmy" used in a sentence..

The Big 12 was a no brainer considering the situation & $$$$$. Having said that, WV is not now nor in the foreseeable future a rival with any team in the Big12. Many would like to consider several Big 12 opponents as rivals. However, my guess is every team in the conference would consider at least 6 or 7 other teams bigger rivals than WV. As far as playing Texas & Oklahoma every year, it is certainly a nice marquee game for WVU in conference play, but in no way shape or form are they even close to being considered rivalry games for either Texas, Oklahoma, or any other team in the conference for that matter. No big deal, just part of the collateral damage of playing in a conference with little or nothing in common with the rest of the field. However, when the music stopped, WV was fortunate to find an empty chair.

Rivalry - The act of rivaling, or the state of being a rival; a competition.

Rival - One who is in pursuit of the same object as another; one striving to reach or obtain something which another is attempting to obtain, and which one only can posses; a competitor; as, rivals in love; rivals for a crown.

We play a lot of teams that fits this definition. I think that the Marshall troll OP meant "historical" rivals and the answer to that question would be no because we are in a new conference (a much better conference). I honestly can't think of a single school that I would want to play every year more than Oklahoma & Texas in football

Virginia Tech - no; Maryland - no; Marshall - no; Pitt - no; Miami - no; Syracuse & Rutgers - jokes. These so called historical rivalries are long past their prime and Maryland is the only one on this list that would be worth keeping, but I certainly wouldn't put that series above Texas or Oklahoma.

Oklahoma could be the defending national champions when they come to Morgantown next year.

Reactions: 3xWVUenginEER
I assume you mean 2017 when we play VT.

....next year is BYU...yet another team WVU has little, if any, history against and not an ounce of a rivalry.
Do you offer anything to this board other than your condescending opinions?

On topic. The only teams I want WVU to play annually are Pitt and VT. The rest who cares. I'm sure one day we will see those teams again. Change isn't always a bad thing. Honestly I have never heard a fanbase bitch about travel more than ours. Notre Dame laughs at you when complaining about travel for road games. Heck of a drive from Indiana to California eh? Our fans want WVU to be a nationally recognized program but don't want to travel to far makes sense

None of our old rivals give a crap. At least not enough to schedule an Annual home and home. That's fine, rotate a few in here and there on future schedules, and sprinkle in a few tasty games with Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio State, NC State, Virginia, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, etc. over the years. Beat our conference foes, win a conference championship once and be relevant again on the national scene and the excitement of big games will take care of itself. We don't owe those old Big East teams a dime.

Reactions: BCSE1951
Funny! Rivalries aren't hundreds to thousands of miles away. And not to bitch slap you but I guarantee you Texas view WVU as a bitch. Just sayin.

So Texas thinks WVU is their "bitch"...even though they have an overall losing record to us (.500 in recent history) ?

A Pitt fan would use such logic.....

zzzz...

...Ideally, I don't want any rivals. I want to play in a conference just so we can play the same cast of characters annually. I want every team in our current or future conference to despise us to the point they are so geeked out that they can't play a level headed game of football...

....Alarm clock goes off; PriddyBoy wakes.

Funny! Rivalries aren't hundreds to thousands of miles away. And not to bitch slap you but I guarantee you Texas and Oklahoma view WVU as a bitch. Just sayin.

I think you should ask ND and USC about that. Or even ND and BC, if you prefer an east coast flavor. I think all parties would say these are rivalry games that are hundreds / thousand miles apart.

Rivalries are built, not "scheduled " and we still need time to build them in the B12. But for my view Texas and KSU are becoming those type of games.

I don't really care if we ever play pitt again, but I'm looking forward to VT.

Funny! Rivalries aren't hundreds to thousands of miles away. And not to bitch slap you but I guarantee you Texas and Oklahoma view WVU as a bitch. Just sayin.

Another silly statement as others have pointed out. Maybe in the horse & buggy days rivals were restricted by distance, but today the power conferences stretch from Nebraska to New Jersey, Missouri to Florida, Miami to Boston, and yes Texas to West Virginia. It is amazing how WVU can fly to Austin TX quicker than Pitt can bus people to Blacksburg Virginia.

Call the games whatever you like, but playing Texas and Oklahoma in football trumps any other game WVU can schedule. Just sayin.

iu

and

iu

Didn't we beat Texas, at Texas, in our B12 debut in front of the largest crowd to ever attend a game there...? I also think we beat Texas this year.....

Also, ask Oklahoma about the Fiesta Bowl.....LOL. See we have beaten several storied programs in the last 10 years, all in sold out stadiums (I know you have a hard time understanding that concept). . Georgia and Clemson also come to mind. All conference champions. pitt....not so much. LOL.

Now greg you can retort as to the great programs and games you have won in the last 10 years......I'll wait,

It's hard to consider any of our conference mates as rivals simply due to fact that it's all new. When/if we ever start beating these teams at the top consistently and knocking them out of contention then these rivalries are formed. We have no great disdain for any of these other Big XII schools because we haven't had anything on the line when we have lost to them.

Another silly statement as others have pointed out. Maybe in the horse & buggy days rivals were restricted by distance, but today the power conferences stretch from Nebraska to New Jersey, Missouri to Florida, Miami to Boston, and yes Texas to West Virginia. It is amazing how WVU can fly to Austin TX quicker than Pitt can bus people to Blacksburg Virginia.

Call the games whatever you like, but playing Texas and Oklahoma in football trumps any other game WVU can schedule. Just sayin.
If we took a poll of fans of each of the schools in the B12 and ask them who are your school's three biggest rivals do you think WVU would show up on any one's top 3?

No because no one sees us as a consistent threat except Kansas and Iowa State. And they don't consider us a rival because we are the only school they've beaten in conference play.

Didn't we beat Texas, at Texas, in our B12 debut in front of the largest crowd to ever attend a game there...? I also think we beat Texas this year.....

Also, ask Oklahoma about the Fiesta Bowl.....LOL. See we have beaten several storied programs in the last 10 years, all in sold out stadiums (I know you have a hard time understanding that concept). . Georgia and Clemson also come to mind. All conference champions. pitt....not so much. LOL.

Now greg you can retort as to the great programs and games you have won in the last 10 years......I'll wait,

Sure, how about Notre Dame three times (2008, 2009, 2013-all sold out), which is arguably the most storied and historic program in the US. This year, a loss, was the largest crowd ever to see a game at Heinz Field. Beat Virginia Tech (2012, 2014, 2015), a better program in the last 15 years than Clemson until recently...and Hoopie U in 2007 13-9. Oh whoops, you said "storied" program my bad.

And why just 10 years...is that when college football records began to matter?

Sure, how about Notre Dame three times (2008, 2009, 2013-all sold out), which is arguably the most storied and historic program in the US. This year, a loss, was the largest crowd ever to see a game at Heinz Field. Beat Virginia Tech (2012, 2014, 2015), a better program in the last 15 years than Clemson until recently...and Hoopie U in 2007 13-9. Oh whoops, you said "storied" program my bad.

And why just 10 years...is that when college football records began to matter?
You ignorant bastard...those fans were all ND fans......damn you are dumb. Just like when we came to Heinz and sold it out for you. Your fans are pathetic....deal with it.

Reactions: eerstheway
You ignorant bastard...those fans were all ND fans......damn you are dumb. Just like when we came to Heinz and sold it out for you. Your fans are pathetic....deal with it.

So wait, your only comeback is to ignore that even in our pretty mediocre to crap years of self-destruction of our own doing, we still beat ND three times. Your only retort is "those were all ND fans" which is a lie but whatever. Boy are you stupid but glad you were there to watch. Pitt had WAY more fans than ND, I know I was there.

Speaking of pathetic fans, loved how "awesome" your turnout was for the Iowa State game this year. If Hoopie High Stadium was a third filled I'd be surprised. Pot calling the kettle black. wvu's fanbase is about as big of front runners as Pitt's, it's that simple.

What's not to like about West Virginia's football schedule? It has never been better if the measurement is the strength and prestige of the opposition.

Reactions: GoWVU and wbgvwbgv
So wait, your only comeback is to ignore that even in our pretty mediocre to crap years of self-destruction of our own doing, we still beat ND three times. Your only retort is "those were all ND fans" which is a lie but whatever. Boy are you stupid but glad you were there to watch. Pitt had WAY more fans than ND, I know I was there.

Speaking of pathetic fans, loved how "awesome" your turnout was for the Iowa State game this year. If Hoopie High Stadium was a third filled I'd be surprised. Pot calling the kettle black. wvu's fanbase is about as big of front runners as Pitt's, it's that simple.
You do realise that ND sucks and has for years....right?

None of our old rivals give a crap. At least not enough to schedule an Annual home and home. That's fine, rotate a few in here and there on future schedules, and sprinkle in a few tasty games with Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio State, NC State, Virginia, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, etc. over the years. Beat our conference foes, win a conference championship once and be relevant again on the national scene and the excitement of big games will take care of itself. We don't owe those old Big East teams a dime

None of our old rivals give a crap. At least not enough to schedule an Annual home and home. That's fine, rotate a few in here and there on future schedules, and sprinkle in a few tasty games with Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio State, NC State, Virginia, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, etc. over the years. Beat our conference foes, win a conference championship once and be relevant again on the national scene and the excitement of big games will take care of itself. We don't owe those old Big East teams a dime.

agree with you, i don't like begging for someone to be (my rival) none of the old big east teams wanted us as Big 12 did. we really should not play any of the old teams again. no one came to our assistance when we needed to get into ACC.

On topic. The only teams I want WVU to play annually are Pitt and VT. The rest who cares. I'm sure one day we will see those teams again. Change isn't always a bad thing. Honestly I have never heard a fanbase bitch about travel more than ours. Notre Dame laughs at you when complaining about travel for road games. Heck of a drive from Indiana to California eh? Our fans want WVU to be a nationally recognized program but don't want to travel to far makes sense
Notre Dame has a true National Fan Base. They have a crowd no matter where they play. I think you will begin to see our fans on the road dwindle with each succeeding trip into the midwest.

You do realise that ND sucks and has for years....right?

You realize Notre Dame played for the National Championship in 2012, and after wacking your mighty Texas team that finished 5-7 with a shutout loss to Iowa State, they were almost in the College football playoff this year, right? Thought so.

But hey, congrats on your big wins over a bunch of crappy Longhorn teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT