ADVERTISEMENT

Dems are floating a 50k student loan debt forgiveness by Executive Order

You can't dump student loan debt through bankruptcy. Large amounts of student debt limits that individual's ability to make future purchases, cars, houses, etc. So you can argue that this issue stifles other markets and props up the education sector. Forgiving that debt is a bad solution. The cost of education is where the solution lies, but how do you force that issue?
I completely agree you cant dump student debt through bankruptcy. My point was borrowing money has consequences. Most loans you either pay back or face credit consequnces. Student loans are essentially no risk for lenders. If they had risk studebt loans would be based off credit and that would create a class structure in education where poirer kids would have fewer reaources for education and schools would lose enrollment because of less funding.

I honestly don't know.....will have to ask her about that.
I looked at one of those sorts of programs my senior year of high school. I didn't go that route, but considered it.

I went on a guided fishing trip in Alaska years ago. The guide had done one of those sorts of programs, local to Alaska. He worked in a Native American area for several years, and he learned traditional ways to smoke and preserve salmon while working in that school. Random story, but thought I'd share.

Reactions: COOL MAN
I looked at one of those sorts of programs my senior year of high school. I didn't go that route, but considered it.

I went on a guided fishing trip in Alaska years ago. The guide had done one of those sorts of programs, local to Alaska. He worked in a Native American area for several years, and he learned traditional ways to smoke and preserve salmon while working in that school. Random story, but thought I'd share.
I honestly think things like this are the way to "fix" the education system and people doing random jobs like that are a great additional education that is lacking in our country. I mean how many people even know how to change their oil or spark plugs nowadays?

Reactions: roadtrasheer
I honestly think things like this are the way to "fix" the education system and people doing random jobs like that are a great additional education that is lacking in our country. I mean how many people even know how to change their oil or spark plugs nowadays?
Solid point. I hear some folks saying that Americans are divided because they lack common experiences. They usually point back to the draft when nearly everyone had to serve in the military, at least for a while. That brought together folks with different backgrounds and made them find a way to unite with each other. That's a little utopia-y for me, like we didn't have issues then, but I think the overall point is valuable. People tend to silo themselves with others like them, given the opportunity. Programs that put people in situations they wouldn't choose on their own can be a good thing. These sorts of loan forgiveness programs do that to some extent.

One of my nephews looked at a school in or near San Fran that was tuition-free, but you did owe them a percentage of your salary once you graduated and started working. I don't remember how long you had to pay them that cut. It wasn't a state school. It was really a computer programming curriculum, and I think the school was started by some former tech folks. He thought about it, but opted not to go in the end. Part of that decision was because the cost of living in San Fran made going there at least as expensive as paying tuition somewhere else.

A guy I hired worked for The Salvation Cult... I mean Army. He went to one of their colleges and had to agree to work for so many years to pay it back. He got out of it as quickly as he could.

A guy I hired worked for The Salvation Cult... I mean Army. He went to one of their colleges and had to agree to work for so many years to pay it back. He got out of it as quickly as he could.
How is it any different than a ROTC scholarship?

Greg Hahn is awesome.

The Supreme Court by approving Trumps Executive action on the wall to divert funds opened a can of worms. Not on loan forgiveness but hey Covid 19 is a National Emergency some say Climate change is. Many Republicans at the time said the ruling would come back to haunt them and it will....

The Supreme Court by approving Trumps Executive action on the wall to divert funds opened a can of worms. Not on loan forgiveness but hey Covid 19 is a National Emergency some say Climate change is. Many Republicans at the time said the ruling would come back to haunt them and it will....
Gonna be hard to divert money from DOD for national defense to climate change. Covid I can see as possible.

Reactions: wvjeff
In my daughter's case, she's been involved in such a Program where a fairly large percentage of her loan debt will be forgiven upon her accumulation of 5 years combined tenure in lower income districts. For her, it includes the additional debt she's incurred in pursuit of her graduate degree.
Teach America?
I honestly don't know.....will have to ask her about that.

Hey Pos, I finally connected with my daughter and learned the referenced Program she's chasing for loan forgiveness, in fact, is not Teach (for) America. According to her, Teach is designed as an incentive for individuals to pursue teaching licences; once one receives their license, one has to teach at a "quallifying" school a period of 2 years to gain loan forgiveness.

FWIW, I don't get the impression my daughter is especially enamored with Teach; possbly because the Program may place some artificial limits on the salary a teacher can earn as part of the Program. The Program in which she's involved is called simply Teacher Loan Forgiveness offered, I believe, through Federal Student Aid. It places no limits on salaries, but does max out the amount of loan forgiveness at $17,500.00, and (I think) limits such forgiveness to Federal loans.

Hey Pos, I finally connected with my daughter and learned the referenced Program she's chasing for loan forgiveness, in fact, is not Teach (for) America. According to her, Teach is designed as an incentive for individuals to pursue teaching licences; once one receives their license, one has to teach at a "quallifying" school a period of 2 years to gain loan forgiveness.

FWIW, I don't get the impression my daughter is especially enamored with Teach; possbly because the Program may place some artificial limits on the salary a teacher can earn as part of the Program. The Program in which she's involved is called simply Teacher Loan Forgiveness offered, I believe, through Federal Student Aid. It places no limits on salaries, but does max out the amount of loan forgiveness at $17,500.00, and (I think) limits such forgiveness to Federal loans.

thanks for the research.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT