ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches pool is a crime #13

A 3 loss Ole Miss being ranked says everything that could be said about the rankings. Simply being in the SEC still holds more weight than actually being a good team.

Each season, sh*t like this makes me lose more and more interest in college football.

What you are seeing with the polls since the playoff system is that the coaches/AP people are doing everything in their power to keep SEC/Big 10/ACC schools in the rankings within striking distance of a playoff birth (2-loss teams). Whereas, in the BCS period, you would have teams like Western Michigan up there at perhaps a #10 spot at this point in the year.

I think the hardest and head scratching ranking is Houston. They should be down around #20.....or #25 even.

West Virginia ranks 12th (writers) and 13th (coaches) in national college football polls after demolishing Texas Tech, 48-17.

Baylor, also unbeaten, is 9th (writers) and 8th (coaches). Baylor comes to Mountaineer Field December 3. If both remain unbeaten, that contest will decide the Big 12 and catapult the winner into the Football Final Four playoffs. But both have a long way to go since the season is only hallway over.

For the first time this season, 2-loss Oklahoma (16th in both polls) is ranked below WVU. Oklahoma comes to Mountaineer Field November 19.

Oklahoma State is 28th and 29th. WVU goes TO Oklahoma State October 29. I’ll be watching that one on TV since I’m flying to Florida for 10 days.

TCU, WVU’s next opponent, 3:30 p.m. Saturday in Mountaineer Field, is 39th and 38th .

Dana Holgorsen's 2011 WVU team (10-3) finished 17th and 18th and demolished Clemson 70-33 in the Orange Bowl.

Bill Stewart’s 2008 team finished 23rd . His 2009 team was 22nd and 25th .

WVU finished in the top 25 four times under Rich Rodriguez. 20th and 25th in 2002, 5th and 6th in 2005, 10th in both polls in 2006 and 6th in 2007, when a 13-9 loss to a 4-7 team cost the Mountaineers a place in the national title game. WVU ranked #2 when it was upset by Pitt.

Don Nehlen had WVU in the top 25 seven times in his 21 seasons, with 5th in 1988 the highest finish after losing in the Fiesta Bowl to Notre Dame. His one-loss 1993 team (to Florida in the bowl game) was 6th and 7th .

There were no polls back then, but I think the 1922 Clarence “Doc” Spears team could be considered national champs. It was undefeated, and tied only by Washington & Lee, a power in those days. Pitt, Rutgers, Cincinnati and Virginia were among the 1922 victims. All except Pitt were among WVU’s seven shutout victims in 1922. The bowl game was the East-West Bowl, which the Mountaineers won by beating Gonzaga, also a power back then. The East-West later changed its name to the Rose Bowl.

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O rdinary against Youngstown, 38-21

U nnerving miracle goalline tip/interception escapes BYU, 35-32

N o quit against Kansas State, 17-16

T urbulence tore up Texas Tech, 48-17

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

E rectile dysfunction Oklahoma

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

...look, polls are meaningless unless you take care of business....whuppin' ass is our business, & business is good!...Season #5 is over...time to move on to Season #6...take care of business, play Mountaineer football, & the polls will take care of themselves....

Actually I think 13 is a good ranking for us. If we beat TCU on Saturday, we will be right around #10.

Beat OSU and KU and we will be right around #5. Our schedule sets up nicely this year.

Reactions: torontoeers
Actually I think 13 is a good ranking for us. If we beat TCU on Saturday, we will be right around #10.

Beat OSU and KU and we will be right around #5. Our schedule sets up nicely this year.

IF WVU is 8-0 heading into the Texas, Oklahoma and Baylor games (I know, Iowa State is in there, too), then sweeps those 3 biggies as far as the national pollsters are concerned, then only Alabama and Ohio State will be ranked higher than the Mountaineers by the committee.

Just win, baby. One game at a time. Everything else will take care of itself.

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

...look, polls are meaningless unless you take care of business....whuppin' ass is our business, & business is good!...Season #5 is over...time to move on to Season #6...take care of business, play Mountaineer football, & the polls will take care of themselves....
Well said sir....enough with the hand wringing already...

jeez, stopping with the wailing & gnashing of teeth. We jumped 8 slots in one & 5 in the other. 13 is a decent spot to be in right now. Keep winning & a few above us lose and it will take care of itself.

Reactions: torontoeers
jeez, stopping with the wailing & gnashing of teeth. We jumped 8 slots in one & 5 in the other. 13 is a decent spot to be in right now. Keep winning & a few above us lose and it will take care of itself.

I think there is more joy than gnashing of teeth in Mudville. At least I know that I'm giddy over the Texas Tech thrashing.

I can't wait for TCU to get some of the same medicine (I hope).

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

I agree...although that was a tough go vs OSU, they should definitely drop a bit...
Why should they drop at all? They lost to a higher rated team. They were supposed to lose. Everyone treats this as a "King of the Hill" game. You stay on top till you lose and you fall. The real gauge should be who are the best 25 teams in the country. Just because you have a loss to a top rated team does not mean you could not beat all the other teams ranked below that team.

The only thing that is important at this stage is to beat TCU and get to 6-0. You can't get to 12-0 without being 6-0.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT