ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Brown looks to build successful West Virginia program to match fans

He's going to have to actually win some games to win the trust and respect of the WVU fanbase.

Words are nice but that's about it.

You and your alter egos are the only ones that hate the guy.

I hear your a master troll. Congrats.

I don't "hate" Brown, and I have no "alter egos" (although you are probably about 5 trolls on this board alone if not a BOT). I have no opinion of Brown as a person, I don't believe based on factual results he is getting the job he was hired to do done.

I want WVU football to win, and Brown is NOT accomplishing that.

Stop trolling me and stop trying to deflect reality to save your ego (if you have one and aren't just a BOT)

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Why don't you answer my questions Bucknut bitch.

Did Holgs let you shave him down all over, dolphin-smooth?

Reactions: danville4wvu
I wondered whatever happened to his son and since I knew his name (Blaine) and the Internet exists, I did some searching. Turns out he's an assistant for the Steelers now. He also played and coached at James Madison. Bless him. Losing his Dad at such a young age could not have been easy.

https://www.steelers.com/team/coaches-roster/blaine-stewart

Bill Stewart had a photographic memory
and a hug for everyone.

But don't get on his bad side.

Bucky was one of Dana's partners when he would go on a bender.

Think it was sexual. Dana would dick her down when he was high on cocaine

Brown was successful at the sunbelt G5 level.

He and his staff seem to be learning on the job how to coach and perform at the highest levels of cfb-- where WVU exists and plays.

Its not looking good for him to turn this around. The final few games will tell WVU fans where this is going.

Simply cant imagine a coach throwing away an entire season while he sits players on his roster who could have won more games-- but Brown seems to have done just that and it makes 0 sense.

He is trying to win the Big 12.

He feels like that could happen with an older experienced roster.
Start a foundation and build from there. Just matters when these players turn the corner and start winning.
You weren't going to win this year so why not make the most of it by getting players on the field.

You dont throw away seasons to potentially win years down the road because you may never get years down the road if you do that. Your job is to win as many games as you can, right now, not gradually win years from now.

Simply shows lack of what it takes to compete at this level- especially considering last year WVU was 4 points away from playing for a BIG 12 CCG.

The previous staff wouldve won at least 7 games as they did every year outside of one, and its possible Brown could have also.

Neal brown will be successful!!
I'd say that he's already successful, wouldn't you? He won 10+ games for three consecutive seasons--albeit at a lower level--and parlayed that success into obtaining the best job in America...one that pays him over $3 million/year with absolutely no expectations or accountability as far as 100% of the local media and 90% of the fan base are concerned. I raise my glass to Coach Brown...

[cheers]

Right.

You win 3 games, 5 games, 6 games, or 7 games, you're still a team with weaknesses.

You could do what Dana did - sacrifice tomorrow to win today - because your job depends on it. He couldn't win and that's why he's at Houston now and not Morgantown.

Or, you can do what Brown is doing - sacrificing today to win tomorrow. His job doesn't depend on winning now. It certainly will in the future and if this experiment doesn't work out he won't either. It's a chance you take.

Reactions: Euell
I'd say that he's already successful, wouldn't you? He won 10+ games for three consecutive seasons--albeit at a lower level--and parlayed that success into obtaining the best job in America...one that pays him over $3 million/year with absolutely no expectations or accountability as far as 100% of the local media and 90% of the fan base are concerned. I raise my glass to Coach Brown...

[cheers]

Some good pts there, although one could see at the last game and by Browns quick call to try and quiet the fanbase with words, that all is not good on the fanbase side of things. Three more straight losses and things are not going be fine over the offseason. No matter if 4 or 5 trolls on a message board try to excuse things away or not.

You dont throw away seasons to potentially win years down the road because you may never get years down the road if you do that. Your job is to win as many games as you can, right now, not gradually win years from now.

Simply shows lack of what it takes to compete at this level- especially considering last year WVU was 4 points away from playing for a BIG 12 CCG.

The previous staff wouldve won at least 7 games as they did every year outside of one, and its possible Brown could have also.

But they didn't win the Big 12 .
Reason why Dana knew his time was up.

The expectation is to win the conference and for Neal Brown that can happen if he had an experience roster with upperclassmen.

This year is to get those players on the field. No one is trying to lose but for him to play what Dana left him with the seniors wouldn't have been enough.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Right.

You win 3 games, 5 games, 6 games, or 7 games, you're still a team with weaknesses.

You could do what Dana did - sacrifice tomorrow to win today - because your job depends on it. He couldn't win and that's why he's at Houston now and not Morgantown.

Or, you can do what Brown is doing - sacrificing today to win tomorrow. His job doesn't depend on winning now. It certainly will in the future and if this experiment doesn't work out he won't either. It's a chance you take.

Dana Holgorsen rebuilt WVU from a failed staff before him that underrecruited and built WVU into a team that could compete in the BIG 12. He didnt sacrifice anything, just tried to do his job and win games for an unthinking and ungrateful fanbase.

Brown seems to be a poor evaluator of talent-- he didnt know what he had or how to utilize it. Thought a career backup at OU was going to lead WVU to a championship? Took the top RB corps in the BIG 12 and turned it into trash nationally. Certainly no improvement defensively or in special teams.

Who knows if Doege will end up better than Kendall but Brown decided it was better to throw away a season than find that out earlier.

Completely wrong.

Using your first paragraph would be what we could call the Dana approach. Always trying to fix problems with band-aids (i.e. juco's and the transfer market). The problem occurs when you don't win now - like Dana didn't, going consistently .500 or barely better.

Perhaps if Dana would have taken the Brown approach (building depth through experience, focus on high school recruiting) of developing the program he would have won more than a 7 game average and kept his job. Might have been rough for a year or two but the results might have paid off bigger dividends.

This is what it takes to compete at this level if you are WVU - developing the talent you have through experience because you aren't going to compete against the talent of Texass or Oklahoma year in year out.

The previous staff would have won 7 games but is that the standard WVU should hold itself to? A measly 7 wins year after year after year but competing for nothing of significance?

I and most others say certainly not! But only YOU feel it should be this way. Perhaps you should rethink your priorities and standards of where you want WVU to be...

But they didn't win the Big 12 .
Reason why Dana knew his time was up.

The expectation is to win the conference and for Neal Brown that can happen if he had an experience roster with upperclassmen.

This year is to get those players on the field. No one is trying to lose but for him to play what Dana left him with the seniors wouldn't have been enough.

Holgorsen would have eventually gotten WVU there, but a fickle fanbase was fooled enough by outside trolls like BOT a(ho)llen that he was doing a terrible job, when he was actually winning the second most games ever at the school, that the job wasnt worth the stress. Why win for people that dont appreciate you?

Why stay where you arent wanted when someone else appreciates you and offers you more? No reason to stay.

Theres no expectation that Neal Brown is going to win anything-- he isnt even competitive in nearly 50% of games and is eking out wins vs. fcs teams and Kansas. Theres no plan to win down the road, just an attemot each week to try and figure out who to play and what to do, half the time with miserable results.

The fanbase at WVU appeared to sense this Saturday, many walked out early to voice their less than enthusiastic thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:
Completely wrong.

Using your first paragraph would be what we could call the Dana approach. Always trying to fix problems with band-aids (i.e. juco's and the transfer market). The problem occurs when you don't win now - like Dana didn't, going consistently .500 or barely better.

Perhaps if Dana would have taken the Brown approach (building depth through experience, focus on high school recruiting) of developing the program he would have won more than a 7 game average and kept his job. Might have been rough for a year or two but the results might have paid off bigger dividends.

This is what it takes to compete at this level if you are WVU - developing the talent you have through experience because you aren't going to compete against the talent of Texass or Oklahoma year in year out.

The previous staff would have won 7 games but is that the standard WVU should hold itself to? A measly 7 wins year after year after year but competing for nothing of significance?

I and most others say certainly not! But only YOU feel it should be this way. Perhaps you should rethink your priorities and standards of where you want WVU to be...

Band aids- you mean like the band aids KSUs coach just used to beat Oklahoma? Holgorsen won at the same clip as the best ever at WVU and kept up the winning tradition despite playing the most difficult schedules-- even won 10 games twice.

All Brown has done is set new lows for WVU football in multiple categories in comparison.

Quite odd that someone would champion that-- WVu cannot afford to lose for four years with some obscure hope that in the fourth or fifth year theyll suddenly be successful. Fools folly.

WVU has to win to recruit well, not sit quality players and lose with the hope that will magically turn around.

The evidence points to winning now and winning often to have a successful program.

Dana Holgorsen rebuilt WVU from a failed staff before him that underrecruited and built WVU into a team that could compete in the BIG 12. He didnt sacrifice anything, just tried to do his job and win games for an unthinking and ungrateful fanbase.

Brown seems to be a poor evaluator of talent-- he didnt know what he had or how to utilize it. Thought a career backup at OU was going to lead WVU to a championship? Took the top RB corps in the BIG 12 and turned it into trash nationally. Certainly no improvement defensively or in special teams.

Who knows if Doege will end up better than Kendall but Brown decided it was better to throw away a season than find that out earlier.

This entire post you wrote borders on the inane.

First, trying to portray Dana as the poor victim in this is completely silly. Did Stew leave him with a shortage of players- yes. A shortage of experience and talent - no. Dana's downfall began when he turned to his drinking buddy and said "You want to be defensive coordinator?" and turned a defense that won the Orange Bowl into the worst defense ever put onto the field in a Mountaineer uniform (yes, way worse than this year). Things only barely got better when a defensive coordinator had to be forced on him to overcome his inability to find a decent one himself.

Is this defense better? Yes, but not by much. Still too many holes to overcome (Dante Bonamico, a Dana recruit, having to play a major role among MANY others).

Special teams - worlds better. We can field punts, block kicks and punts, and return kicks for TD's - something we rarely if ever did under Dana.

As for Brown being a poor eye for talent - he can only work with what was left to him, correct? A team of some talent here and there but little game experience anywhere. A team with major holes in talent in too many spots. By the way, NOBODY thought this team could win a championship, not even Brown. Quit the hyperbole.

Coaches know what they have and don't have. They will throw out the cliche's to the fanbase but inside the coaches offices they know. They knew pretty quickly in the spring (so would you if you watched the spring game) what this year would bring. They are simply playing the hand that was dealt them.

Reactions: Euell and WVUALLEN
Brown was successful at the sunbelt G5 level.

He and his staff seem to be learning on the job how to coach and perform at the highest levels of cfb-- where WVU exists and plays.

Its not looking good for him to turn this around. The final few games will tell WVU fans where this is going.

Simply cant imagine a coach throwing away an entire season while he sits players on his roster who could have won more games-- but Brown seems to have done just that and it makes 0 sense.

What about Dana? Is he successful at the G5 level? Isn't Dana sitting players and booting them to throw away an entire season?

Yes I believe he is.

Holgorsen would have eventually gotten WVU there, but a fickle fanbase was fooled enough by outside trolls like BOT a(ho)llen that he was doing a terrible job, when he was actually winning the second most games ever at the school, that the job wasnt worth the stress. Why win for people that dont appreciate you?

Why stay where you arent wanted when someone else appreciates you and offers you more? No reason to stay.

Theres no expectation that Neal Brown is going to win anything-- he isnt even competitive in nearly 50% of games and is eking out wins vs. fcs teams and Kansas. Theres no plan to win down the road, just an attemot each week to try and figure out who to play and what to do, half the time with miserable results.

The fanbase at WVU appeared to sense this Saturday, many walked out early to voice their less than enthusiastic thoughts on the matter.

Eventually? 8 years isn't enough? You didn't even give Brown 8 quarters. Dana couldn't get it done - that is why he's gone. It isn't for the silly, inane, asinine reason of Allen firing him. Are you really that dumb to believe that? This Dana as a victim, falling on his sword on the 50, is completely without merit. He isn't a martyr, he's a barely above mediocre football coach as his record indicates.

You're right, there is no expectation to win THIS YEAR. He isn't competitive because he doesn't have the depth or experience to be. What he has to face is like trying to play chess with a knight, a bishop, and a few pawns. He, like you claim Dana faced when he took over for Stew, inherited a roster that was shorthanded. Add in all the injuries and what looked like a lucky 5 or 6 win season is turning into 3 win season.

Fan bases are fickle. They come and go depending upon the results. Has ALWAYS been this way at WVU- no matter who the coach is or was - and always will be.

Band aids- you mean like the band aids KSUs coach just used to beat Oklahoma? Holgorsen won at the same clip as the best ever at WVU and kept up the winning tradition despite playing the most difficult schedules-- even won 10 games twice.

All Brown has done is set new lows for WVU football in multiple categories in comparison.

Quite odd that someone would champion that-- WVu cannot afford to lose for four years with some obscure hope that in the fourth or fifth year theyll suddenly be successful. Fools folly.

WVU has to win to recruit well, not sit quality players and lose with the hope that will magically turn around.

The evidence points to winning now and winning often to have a successful program.

Perhaps if WVU would have had KSU's coach last year WE could have beaten Oklahoma?
Perhaps if WVU would have KSU's coach anytime in the last eight we could have beaten Oklahoma?
Our poor excuse of a coach never did.

To be truthful, he only won 10 games once. The first one doesn't count because, in your own words, he didn't play the most difficult schedule since it was just a Big East one, right?
What did that one Skyler Howard 10 win season get us? A major bowl? Nope! Another 10 win season? Nope!
Just a number in a record book and back to mediocrity.

Now, you've gone and projected the next four years as losing seasons for WVU based on one? Too funny! Fools folly right there.

This "WVU has to win to recruit well" may not be far off, though. That is perhaps the reason Dana isn't here anymore and Brown isn't winning now. If Dana would have won something of significance besides going barely .500 every year we'd have more wins, better recruits, and Dana would still have his job.

But a barely over .500 record isn't "winning now and winning often" now is it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Euell
Band aids- you mean like the band aids KSUs coach just used to beat Oklahoma?

You mean these band aide guys at KSU...

Veteran K-State Lineup Key To First-Year Success.

On offense they start five red shirt seniors on the offensive line, and start eight seniors overall on offense. On defense they start six seniors and three juniors. They have played a lot of football, and they play really well as a team in all three phases.

Please Ban Buckaineer.

I don't "hate" Brown, and I have no "alter egos" (although you are probably about 5 trolls on this board alone if not a BOT). I have no opinion of Brown as a person, I don't believe based on factual results he is getting the job he was hired to do done.

I want WVU football to win, and Brown is NOT accomplishing that.

Stop trolling me and stop trying to deflect reality to save your ego (if you have one and aren't just a BOT)

@WVUALLEN got to admit cockaineer is owning you with facts Allen. You guys can’t discuss Browns lack of productivity throughout the program so far without being triggered.

So you want WVU to fire their coach after 9 games.

Who is going to pay the 4 million dollar buyout?
Who is going to pay the new coach 3.5 million to come here?
Who will you decide the next coach should be?
How many post do you have at the Cougar Boards?
Will you bitch and moan about the new guy when he can't win for 3 years?

Reactions: ThePuppet

So you want WVU to fire their coach after 9 games.

Who is going to pay the 4 million dollar buyout?
Who is going to pay the new coach 3.5 million to come here?
Who will you decide the next coach should be?
How many post do you have at the Cougar Boards?
Will you bitch and moan about the new guy when he can't win for 3 years?

I dont want one thing or another.

Brown isnt doing his job and the people paying the bills are not going to tolerate multiple losing seasons while Brown figures out how to compete against a real schedule.

whats happening now is a disgrace to the Mountaineer fanbase and all the time , money and energy expended on behalf of the team and coaching staff.

Never saw a Mountaineer squad as ill prepared or coached as with the tech game and there have been several bad peformances.

Kansas State and ISU figured out how to hire a coach that can be competitive,
WVUs AD should be able to.

I dont want one thing or another.
Except to bitch and moan. Endlessly.
Brown isnt doing his job and the people paying the bills are not going to tolerate multiple losing seasons while Brown figures out how to compete against a real schedule. Well, I'm one of those paying the bills. Won't tolerate multiple losing seasons but will tolerate it for 9 games. We'll see what happens in the future but with your understanding of things, needless to say, you won't be contacted for your thoughts.

whats happening now is a disgrace to the Mountaineer fanbase and all the time , money and energy expended on behalf of the team and coaching staff. Not even close, just to the soft-in-the-middle "fans" with no hearts, faith, or understanding.

Never saw a Mountaineer squad as ill prepared or coached as with the tech game and there have been several bad peformances.
How long you been watching WVU? Where have you been the past 8 years, under a rock?

The past 8 years WVU has been winning the second most games in WVU history.

While I hoped they could finally get over the hump, I, like others, understood the great difficulties the staff faced.

No depth for several years due to the previous coaching staff before DH.

A switch from the old Big East to the new BIG 12. Major upgrade in difficulty of winning for the Mountaineers.

Relentless attack by enemies of the WVU football program trying to bring it down, steal recruits and weaken the Mountaineers that helped chase of several top notch recruits.

What is happening now does not resemble the success of the past 8 years, its unprecedented BAD FOOTBALL.

Just go to college football statistics and look for yourself how badly WVU is playing under this coach. And before you buy into the false "he inherited...b.s., look how other coaches such KSU and ISU did with new coaches and lower ranked recruits from previous coaches. It matters.

Kansas State and ISU figured out how to hire a coach that can be competitive,
WVUs AD should be able to.

KSU most experienced team in Big 12. Lets see how they do next year. ISU coach in his 4th year. 24-23 (16-17) What has he done? Other than embarrass Holgorsen and Brown.

Reactions: ThePuppet
Let it go Allen. Brown has been a disaster. He’ll have time to prove himself. Are you gonna make excuses til he wins? Then when he wins he leaves WVU for SEC. Of course Morgantown isn’t his dream job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT