ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Georgia QB Daniels to transfer to West Virginia

But but but the big schools only take our players!

Last edited:
Why is he transferring from Georgia again?

My argument is that the new transfer rules allow programs like ours to pickup guys that would otherwise be stashed on the bench at bigger programs. We have now let our QB from last year who was incapable of getting us to where we want, transfer down to WKU, and replaced him with a kid who started 2 games for the national champions last year but couldn’t hold on to the job. The transfer rules have likely upgraded our QB situation and given new life for next year’s team.

Reactions: nathanlawson78
My argument is that the new transfer rules allow programs like ours to pickup guys that would otherwise be stashed on the bench at bigger programs. We have now let our QB from last year who was incapable of getting us to where we want, transfer down to WKU, and replaced him with a kid who started 2 games for the national champions last year but couldn’t hold on to the job. The transfer rules have likely upgraded our QB situation and given new life for next year’s team.

I understand. But if Georgia had just lost its starting QB and JT was already on WVU's roster, you think it's less or more likely he flows the other way?

I understand. But if Georgia had just lost its starting QB and JT was already on WVU's roster, you think it's less or more likely he flows the other way?
Less considering I don’t think there is a single case yet of an established starting QB with pro potential transferring “up”, let alone it being an out of control issue. Generally speaking, if you’re playing, and winning, life is good. When life is good you don’t look around. When you’re not playing and/or losing life isn’t good. When life isn’t good you look for something else. The transfer portal seems to be mostly players transferring down for PT/better situations.

Less considering I don’t think there is a single case yet of an established starting QB with pro potential transferring “up”, let alone it being an out of control issue. Generally speaking, if you’re playing, and winning, life is good. When life is good you don’t look around. When you’re not playing and/or losing life isn’t good. When life isn’t good you look for something else. The transfer portal seems to be mostly players transferring down for PT/better situations.
JT was the starter and had Georgia at 7-0 until an injury. Isn't WVU losing all the the time? Why did he come here? You're such a dumbass clown.

Reactions: Panhandleer
JT was the starter and had Georgia at 7-0 until an injury. Isn't WVU losing all the the time? Why did he come here? You're such a dumbass clown.

Daniels 1,000,000 million dollar NIL deal. A six month contract. He doesn't need the money.​

As per usual WVUALLEN comes in half cocked and unhinged.

JT Daniels had been battling with Stetson Bennett from 2020 through 2021 before ultimately losing the battle given Daniels did not start during the most crucial juncture of the season despite getting reps in the blowout win vs Charleston Southern signaling he was healthy, along with the fact that Daniels went to the portal.

As for his “endorsement deal”, maybe $1m is “set for life” to you, but I’m sure if that money was floating around for him anywhere else he would be there, again refuting your nonsense point that backups are getting rained on at top programs. It’s also doubtful he cashed in on that entire endorsement deal when the value of his autograph went off the rails before the halfway point of that deal.

As per usual WVUALLEN comes in half cocked and unhinged.

JT Daniels had been battling with Stetson Bennett from 2020 through 2021 before ultimately losing the battle given Daniels did not start during the most crucial juncture of the season despite getting reps in the blowout win vs Charleston Southern signaling he was healthy, along with the fact that Daniels went to the portal.

As for his “endorsement deal”, maybe $1m is “set for life” to you, but I’m sure if that money was floating around for him anywhere else he would be there, again refuting your nonsense point that backups are getting rained on at top programs. It’s also doubtful he cashed in on that entire endorsement deal when the value of his autograph went off the rails before the halfway point of that deal.

As Per usual xWVU2010X makes accusations and troll attacks.

Georgia QB JT Daniels enters transfer portal, lost starting job to Stetson Bennett Daniels, who went 7-0 as Bulldogs starting QB but lost his job to Stetson.

Isn't it time for you to take a nap with Bucky?

CBS Sports write up:

JT Daniels to West Virginia: How star transfer quarterback, coaches can rewrite their stories in 2022 season

JT Daniels to West Virginia: How star transfer quarterback, coaches can rewrite their stories in 2022 season. Https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...hes-can-rewrite-their-stories-in-2022-season/

As Per usual xWVU2010X makes accusations and troll attacks.

Georgia QB JT Daniels enters transfer portal, lost starting job to Stetson Bennett Daniels, who went 7-0 as Bulldogs starting QB but lost his job to Stetson.

Isn't it time for you to take a nap with Bucky?

Umm what? You might as well have just said “JT Daniels plays football, I win” it would have made just as much sense.

Good news. He should be the best QB we have had since Grier. Now maybe he will talk a few of his buddies to come here too.

Starting at WVU is preferable to being a back-up at any school in terms of putting yourself out there for NFL consideration which is where the big bucks are. However if a school like Georgia comes up with a need at QB be it due to injury or recruits not panning out, a QB like Grier or Geno would be pursued.

Let's say Nicco pans out and has a great year next year or the year after assuming Daniel's starts the next 1-2 seasons and a few teams like Georgia find themselves in need of a QB. You better believe the pull would be in the opposite direction.

I wish I had your optimism, but I see when WVU does get players capable of being the best at schools like tOSU, Alabama, Clemson, Texas, etc... that it is more likely we lose them than get equivalents back through the portal.

Not to be that guy, but Doege throwing left handed could have got Georgia 7-0 with that defense. They gave up 46 points during the first 7 games…..total. 20 were junk points. So realistically approximately 30 points were real points in 7 games.

We just got Trent Dilfer 2.0.

Not to be that guy, but Doege throwing left handed could have got Georgia 7-0 with that defense. They gave up 46 points during the first 7 games…..total. 20 were junk points. So realistically approximately 30 points were real points in 7 games.

We just got Trent Dilfer 2.0Daniels did well at USC and he did well at Georgia. He'll be the best QB WVU has had in awhile, since at least Geno.

Daniels did well at USC and he did well at Georgia. The fact that he wasn't always the starter at really strong football schools doesn't make him Trent Dilfer and labeling him as such is ridiculous. It makes you look like the Trent Dilfer of posters.

Starting at WVU is preferable to being a back-up at any school in terms of putting yourself out there for NFL consideration which is where the big bucks are. However if a school like Georgia comes up with a need at QB be it due to injury or recruits not panning out, a QB like Grier or Geno would be pursued.

Let's say Nicco pans out and has a great year next year or the year after assuming Daniel's starts the next 1-2 seasons and a few teams like Georgia find themselves in need of a QB. You better believe the pull would be in the opposite direction.

I wish I had your optimism, but I see when WVU does get players capable of being the best at schools like tOSU, Alabama, Clemson, Texas, etc... that it is more likely we lose them than get equivalents back through the portal.

We are almost halfway through the 2nd off-season of these rules and your reality hasn’t come to fruition yet. Wake me up when what you fear starts happening with any regularity.

Yes, some players will transfer up for a variety of reasons. But when I see programs like:

Clemson - benched the QB that brought them to the CFP for Trevor Lawrence

Ohio State - wins a NC with its 3rd string QB who goes on to the NFL without starting a regular season game

Alabama - benches it’s multi year starter at halftime of a national title game and goes on to win because of that move

UGA - plays musical chairs with 2 QBs before finally settling on one with barely noticeable difference in results between the two en route to a national title that was fairly easy

Then I think they have far more talent to shed than the rest of the pool has to worry about giving up.

Daniels did well at USC and he did well at Georgia. The fact that he wasn't always the starter at really strong football schools doesn't make him Trent Dilfer and labeling him as such is ridiculous. It makes you look like the Trent Dilfer of posters.
LOL. Yeah USC was a powerhouse for sure LOL

Nobody knew who the quarterback was at Georgia for the first seven games until he got hurt and they never missed a beat.

Nobody knows that Trent Dilfer won one a Super Bowl except for Trent Dilfer since Ray Ray and his “killer” defense was the MVP of that season

Look…this guy has ran from adversity like our former quarterback who is now the man at WKU. Doege was another quarterback who was faced with adversity and failed miserably and probably was the worst quarterback that we have seen since Chad “I run like I wear flip flops and afraid of losing one” in the old gold and blue.

No thanks.

Coming here, and we don’t compete with the big boys and the NIL money, he’s going to be full of adversity. Especially when his defense doesn’t hold to his opponent to zero points two weeks in a row. Anybody can play loose and fast with probably the best defense in the past 10 years in college football.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I’d rather be reading about JR House crap out of Nitro at this point

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan

Nobody knew who the quarterback was at Georgia for the first seven games until he got hurt and they never missed a beat.

Nobody knows that Trent Dilfer won one a Super Bowl except for Trent Dilfer since Ray Ray and his “killer” defense was the MVP of that season

Look…this guy has ran from adversity like our former quarterback who is now the man at WKU. Doege was another quarterback who was faced with adversity and failed miserably and probably was the worst quarterback that we have seen since Chad “I run like I wear flip flops and afraid of losing one” in the old gold and blue.

No thanks.

Coming here, and we don’t compete with the big boys and the NIL money, he’s going to be full of adversity. Especially when his defense doesn’t hold to his opponent to zero points two weeks in a row. Anybody can play loose and fast with probably the best defense in the past 10 years in college football.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I’d rather be reading about JR House crap out of Nitro at this point

Why don’t you wait and see how he does tough guy. I’d rather QB1b from the national champs than the crew that couldn’t unseat Jarrett Doege.

No thanks.

I agree with every word. We still have the same o-line that could not protect Doege last year. We still have the same o-line coach who should have been shown the door. Both wide receivers that Doege threw to (when he was upright and not running for his life) transferred out. The ONLY reason Neal Brown is still here is based on a comeback win with Austin Kendell during the bowl game vs Army AFTER DOEGE WAS BENCHED!!!! Please tap the breaks on expectations. I will be overjoyed if we win our three OOC games and and 7 conference games. A sub .500 season is unacceptable....PERIOD.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I agree with every word. We still have the same o-line that could not protect Doege last year. We still have the same o-line coach who should have been shown the door. Both wide receivers that Doege threw to (when he was upright and not running for his life) transferred out. The ONLY reason Neal Brown is still here is based on a comeback win with Austin Kendell during the bowl game vs Army AFTER DOEGE WAS BENCHED!!!! Please tap the breaks on expectations. I will be overjoyed if we win our three OOC games and and 7 conference games. A sub .500 season is unacceptable....PERIOD.
The O-line didn't do bad at pass blocking last year. Two of Doege's issues was his lack of pocket awareness and lack of mobility. He wasn't running for his life, he wasn't running at all, he stood back there until he either passed the ball or got sacked, which was the problem.

And re. Kendall subbing for Doege in the bowl game and leading the team to the win, yeah he did, but Kendall wasn't very good either other than that game, so it only underscores the problem that we haven't had good QBs since Grier left. Brown has done something that should remedy that. Good for him. We'll see how it all pans out.

And re. Kendall subbing for Doege in the bowl game and leading the team to the win, yeah he did, but Kendall wasn't very good either other than that game, so it only underscores the problem that we haven't had good QBs since Grier left. Brown has done something that should remedy that. Good for him. We'll see how it all pans out.
Which means that neither Brown or Holgy has been able to develop a QB. The last one was Geno Smith and he left 10 years ago. We have lived on transfer QB's for 10 years. I hope Daniels is like Russell Wilson (NC State to Wisconsin) or Joe Burrows (tO$U to LSU)

Reactions: Rootmaster
Which means that neither Brown or Holgy has been able to develop a QB. The last one was Geno Smith and he left 10 years ago. We have lived on transfer QB's for 10 years. I hope Daniels is like Russell Wilson (NC State to Wisconsin) or Joe Burrows (tO$U to LSU)
Will Grier?

Geno Smith was Bill Stewart QB.

Why don’t you wait and see how he does tough guy. I’d rather QB1b from the national champs than the crew that couldn’t unseat Jarrett Doege.
I would be happy to eat crow with this guy. But why don’t you do your research tough guy and research parental guidance and involvement with JT. Yeah….it’s a thing.

we now have a crowd a quarterback room with a highly recruited Freshman, a very mobile backup who broke a run that we haven’t seen since Pat White and another who is very solid…. Now we add a college registrar MVP.

I absolutely love, love, love internal competition. But there is something to be said about commitment to a player. How do we put blinders on and commit to a quarterback that is not a P5 Division I quarterback last year and turn around this year and go the opposite direction?

wasn’t this the issue with Dana? He could never develop a quarterback and lived in the transfer portal?

I could be seriously wrong. And I would admit it. Our offensive coordinator could be looking in our QB room and be saying these boys are not what need and we need JT. There had to be a serious push Jaxson Dart too.

Who was the last QB that we recruited in HS, brought in as developed? Geno?

I would be happy to eat crow with this guy. But why don’t you do your research tough guy and research parental guidance and involvement with JT. Yeah….it’s a thing.

we now have a crowd a quarterback room with a highly recruited Freshman, a very mobile backup who broke a run that we haven’t seen since Pat White and another who is very solid…. Now we add a college registrar MVP.

I absolutely love, love, love internal competition. But there is something to be said about commitment to a player. How do we put blinders on and commit to a quarterback that is not a P5 Division I quarterback last year and turn around this year and go the opposite direction?

wasn’t this the issue with Dana? He could never develop a quarterback and lived in the transfer portal?

I could be seriously wrong. And I would admit it. Our offensive coordinator could be looking in our QB room and be saying these boys are not what need and we need JT. There had to be a serious push Jaxson Dart too.

Who was the last QB that we recruited in HS, brought in as developed? Geno?

As long as he isn’t committing crimes, if he delivers on the field I could care less about his parental involvement. Bottom line presently the top program in the country had him for 2 years and thought enough to start him. Regardless of how loaded they are elsewhere, I’m sure they don’t want a bum starting at QB.

Our QB room couldn’t unseat a below average P5 starter in Jarrett Doege, and with spring ball in the rear view and our coach on the hot seat, they decided we don’t have a QB on the roster capable of saving their jobs. They can either be complete idiots (possible) or they have upgraded the position, but regardless their job is to be around these kids and constantly evaluate them, so I will trust their judgement here.

I also believe there is something to be said for JT coming here, I am guessing he had other options. If he came here, he must atleast believe there is a reasonable chance he has a big season because he needs it to continue his playing career.

As for developing QBs, I don’t care how they get here, if the QB arrives and produces, then the coach gets credit for making that happen.

This is great news in every way except we probably lose a QB over this and I hope it's not Greene but I get it if he transfers.

Brown hiring Harrell was a smart decision also and shows he knows it's put up or shut up time.

Brown has no excuses anymore. Realistic expectations just went up to competing for the Big12 now. That's what the Staff sold JT on and his Dad per Chris and Mike.

I'll give Brown credit here, he's doing everything in his power to win.

Think about this: Brown has lost multiple Starters, An All American D Lineman and he's brought in mostly "Tread Water" types of players (3 star caliber) guys until yesterday and brings in a 5 Star. Now that's how you try an improve. Huggins has lost the same in the last 2 years and brought in multiple 3 Star caliber guys. Still waiting on that immediate impact guy from basketball staff.

As long as he isn’t committing crimes, if he delivers on the field I could care less about his parental involvement. Bottom line presently the top program in the country had him for 2 years and thought enough to start him. Regardless of how loaded they are elsewhere, I’m sure they don’t want a bum starting at QB.

Our QB room couldn’t unseat a below average P5 starter in Jarrett Doege, and with spring ball in the rear view and our coach on the hot seat, they decided we don’t have a QB on the roster capable of saving their jobs. They can either be complete idiots (possible) or they have upgraded the position, but regardless their job is to be around these kids and constantly evaluate them, so I will trust their judgement here.

I also believe there is something to be said for JT coming here, I am guessing he had other options. If he came here, he must atleast believe there is a reasonable chance he has a big season because he needs it to continue his playing career.

As for developing QBs, I don’t care how they get here, if the QB arrives and produces, then the coach gets credit for making that happen.
Our quarterback room could and did easily unseat the incumbent family friend. It was painfully obvious that he was not going to be at this university about midway through the season. It was also painfully obvious that he was completely out of his league especially when he could not be affective against military cadets who were provisional opponents. 2 qb systems means you don’t have one.

Neal went all in on his buddy and lost. Harrell he is the only reason JT is here and Graham will be a HC somewhere in 2 years.

I hope JT wins the Heisman and becomes the best quarterback to ever play here, but he’s coming here to an O-Line that should be better and can’t possibly get any worse, a defense that is going to be solid but this will be the first time in this guys career that he must put up points.

I am more annoyed by the fact that this further implicates that we did not prepare our offense with the right QB since the Liberty Bowl debacle and should have pulled the plug in the hardest working man in college football history after the VT high throws on the screens for TD’s.

Essentially Green will transfer to Div 2 or non P5, Will Crowder will do the same, Nicco hopefully develops and we pay him big to stay here.

Our quarterback room could and did easily unseat the incumbent family friend. It was painfully obvious that he was not going to be at this university about midway through the season. It was also painfully obvious that he was completely out of his league especially when he could not be affective against military cadets who were provisional opponents. 2 qb systems means you don’t have one.

Neal went all in on his buddy and lost. Harrell he is the only reason JT is here and Graham will be a HC somewhere in 2 years.

I hope JT wins the Heisman and becomes the best quarterback to ever play here, but he’s coming here to an O-Line that should be better and can’t possibly get any worse, a defense that is going to be solid but this will be the first time in this guys career that he must put up points.

I am more annoyed by the fact that this further implicates that we did not prepare our offense with the right QB since the Liberty Bowl debacle and should have pulled the plug in the hardest working man in college football history after the VT high throws on the screens for TD’s.

Essentially Green will transfer to Div 2 or non P5, Will Crowder will do the same, Nicco hopefully develops and we pay him big to stay here.

Agreed that Doege is terrible, and nepotism definitely played a huge role in him finishing last season, but it’s a huge red flag to the rest of the QBs that Brown went QB shopping after Spring following a season where none of them could show they were head and shoulders better than Doege to force Neal to abandon the prodigal son. Just because it would have made sense to bench Doege to give the reps to someone younger, doesn’t mean that the replacement would have been better. Harrell has seen JT up close and personal, and if he is pushing for him then it must mean he thinks he is good.

As for our situation, with JT essentially in a “prove it” year or his football career is over, I have to believe he has some reason to believe that he can succeed here rather than blind hope. I think it’s an endorsement that our offensive line isn’t as bad as we fear given he chose us.

In regards to our defense and it’s effect on JT… don’t read too much into that. Pat Mahomes couldn’t even make a bowl game at Texas Tech because his defense was so bad. Not to compare the two, I am just saying if he can play, the O will elevate to a good unit. If he has a bad year, the D will not even register in the top 10 reasons of what went wrong for him.

Agreed that Doege is terrible, and nepotism definitely played a huge role in him finishing last season, but it’s a huge red flag to the rest of the QBs that Brown went QB shopping after Spring following a season where none of them could show they were head and shoulders better than Doege to force Neal to abandon the prodigal son. Just because it would have made sense to bench Doege to give the reps to someone younger, doesn’t mean that the replacement would have been better. Harrell has seen JT up close and personal, and if he is pushing for him then it must mean he thinks he is good.

As for our situation, with JT essentially in a “prove it” year or his football career is over, I have to believe he has some reason to believe that he can succeed here rather than blind hope. I think it’s an endorsement that our offensive line isn’t as bad as we fear given he chose us.

In regards to our defense and it’s effect on JT… don’t read too much into that. Pat Mahomes couldn’t even make a bowl game at Texas Tech because his defense was so bad. Not to compare the two, I am just saying if he can play, the O will elevate to a good unit. If he has a bad year, the D will not even register in the top 10 reasons of what went wrong for him.
I agree with you 100% and I look forward to a player that has a “prove it” year.

Reactions: xWVU2010x
People may not be aware of this, but from what I read, Daniels has two years of eligibility left, not one. I get the impression people are assuming he's gone after the 2022 season. If he kicks ass or flops then yes, he's gone. But if he does well but not so well he'll be a high 2023 draft pick, he'll probably stick around WVU for 2023, looking to be drafted by the NFL in 2024. He was born in early 2000, which would make him 24.5 during his first NFL season, which is a little old, but OTOH, the NFL QB position pays so well and QBs can play so long that it's worth getting into the NFL one season later if it increases your chances of staying once you get there.

People may not be aware of this, but from what I read, Daniels has two years of eligibility left, not one. I get the impression people are assuming he's gone after the 2022 season. If he kicks ass or flops then yes, he's gone. But if he does well but not so well he'll be a high 2023 draft pick, he'll probably stick around WVU for 2023, looking to be drafted by the NFL in 2024. He was born in early 2000, which would make him 24.5 during his first NFL season, which is a little old, but OTOH, the NFL QB position pays so well and QBs can play so long that it's worth getting into the NFL one season later if it increases your chances of staying once you get there.
This will be his 5th year and yes has 1 more year, Covid season. He jus turned 22 in Feb. If he were to play 2 years he would be 24 trying to get drafted in 2024. He's here 1 year and gone.

This will be his 5th year and yes has 1 more year, Covid season. He jus turned 22 in Feb. If he were to play 2 years he would be 24 trying to get drafted in 2024. He's here 1 year and gone.

Catch-22. If he has the kind of season that would make us want him back, he will be gone and for good reason as he will have likely maximized his prospects.

ADVERTISEMENT