ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten, Pac-12, ACC in discussions about forming alliance: Sources

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001
The Pac-12, Big Ten and ACC are engaging in high-level discussions about an alliance, sources tell The Athletic.

behind a pay wall---hope they will include the 8 core BIG 12 members in this----excerpt:

Talks have centered around not just a scheduling alliance in football but in broader cooperation, according to sources in the three conferences. Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff, Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren and ACC commissioner Jim Phillips have been having conversations for several weeks.

“I’ve been in frequent and regular contact with all of the other A5 commissioners the last few weeks about the complex issues that are facing the industry,” Kliavkoff said, adding that there’s “nothing to report on this specific matter at this time.”

Doesn't sound great for BIG 12 teams inclusion here:

Report: ACC in "high-level" talks with Big 10 and Pac-12 for alliance​

Read more: https://www.tigernet.com/clemson-fo...0-and-pac-12-for-alliance-38479#ixzz73TOPb5ng

Per The Athletic report, the three conferences' potential move is an answer to the SEC's surprise addition last month of Texas and Oklahoma from the Big 12, which is also losing out on this opportunity as well it seems.

And now you have to hope these conferences add the 8 core schools before their alliances begin. Otherwise hope the SEC decides to grow bigger.

But--not good--we know ESPN has designs on adding the schools to the AAC and severely, permanently downgrading each program.

Hope for WVU--as the ACC still needs to boost revenues--this alliance could push ND to finally move.

If so, perhaps the Mountaineers will finally get that invite.

Really the PAC could add four and the ACC and B10 two and ND could remain independent. These schools would undoubtedly like to be part of that voting block and Shane Lyons is going to be on the new NCAA committee looking at some of these things.

Will be interesting to see how the ACC which is wholly owned by ESPN handles all of this.

More not good (unless the BIG 12 is absorbed by these leagues)

According to The Athletic, said alliance will not include the Big 12, and what it would mean is that the three aforementioned conferences would work together to essentially be the NCAA governing body. Of course, there could also be some cooperation in scheduling, with schools from the different conferences playing each other more regularly, instead of perhaps the SEC. Certainly, and this is conjecture, they could also lower the amount of in-conference games to schedule teams within said alliance, as well.

Even if true (and apparently it is), there's nothing surprising about these 3 conferences talking and trying to get on the same page. Mostly, I suspect they want to make sure they do everything possible to screw the SEC when it comes to the upcoming new playoff scenario. If they all vote the same to NOT move the a 12 team playoff (or more likely, vote to make sure no one conference can get more than 2-3 teams in) that would be a major blow to then SEC and their plans. And, if I was TX and OU, I would be concerned. I know this is all about money, but if the SEC can only get two teams in the playoffs, TX & OU will find their path VERY difficult....certainly more so than they enjoy today. My point being these talks don't necessarily have to be detrimental to our hopes of landing in one of the conferences

Even if true (and apparently it is), there's nothing surprising about these 3 conferences talking and trying to get on the same page. Mostly, I suspect they want to make sure they do everything possible to screw the SEC when it comes to the upcoming new playoff scenario. If they all vote the same to NOT move the a 12 team playoff (or more likely, vote to make sure no one conference can get more than 2-3 teams in) that would be a major blow to then SEC and their plans. And, if I was TX and OU, I would be concerned. I know this is all about money, but if the SEC can only get two teams in the playoffs, TX & OU will find their path VERY difficult....certainly more so than they enjoy today. My point being these talks don't necessarily have to be detrimental to our hopes of landing in one of the conferences
I agree. A scheduling agreement between the Big10, ACC and PAC 12 would mean squat to the SEC. You can also bet the mortgage money that there will be no pooling of television revenue between the 3 conferences - the Big10 is not going to share their monster pie with the ACC and PAC 12.

The key is that by having the Big10, ACC and PAC 12 voting as a 41 vote block, they will be able to block the SEC and control all the issues involving big time football going forward.

If the proposed 12-team playoff gives more power to the SEC, then the alliance can vote the proposal down or put in a rule that no more than 3 schools from any one conference can be given spots in the playoff.

I would think the Big10, ACC and PAC 12 voting as a block would be very worrisome to the SEC.

Teams like TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Kansas State may not like the outcome of what's about to occur. For that matter WVU, Oklahoma State, Kansas and ISU might no like it either.

Fans need to at least face the facts that these teams may be the first so called P5 teams left out of the next round of mergers.

More not good (unless the BIG 12 is absorbed by these leagues)

According to The Athletic, said alliance will not include the Big 12, and what it would mean is that the three aforementioned conferences would work together to essentially be the NCAA governing body. Of course, there could also be some cooperation in scheduling, with schools from the different conferences playing each other more regularly, instead of perhaps the SEC. Certainly, and this is conjecture, they could also lower the amount of in-conference games to schedule teams within said alliance, as well.
Big 12 (8) are in these talks and they have been going on for several weeks. It’s been discussed on here before. POD system is what we are hopefully going to with scheduling.

Reactions: 1duluth1
Gotta love people that just come to troll with no knowledge of the subject being discussed.

No the BIG 12 is not in these talks per the reports, in fact they say the BIG 12 will NOT be included in this alliance, has nothing to do with Bowlsby talking with the PAC commish a couple of weeks back.

Lol, better get excited for the Big12 and the AAC alliance because that's our best case scenario.

Either that or we try and go independent which if we could make as much as a AAC payout I would rather see.

I just don't understand how so many people were convinced the ACC was coming for WVU. It obviously would have been the ACC's first move as soon as possible if WVU added value.

They would not have sit around twiddling their thumbs if it was a no brainer based on Facebook Fanbases and Brand recognition. It's about DOLLARS added.

If this is even remotely possible WVU is gonna have to offer a 50% off coupon or something to make the ACC interested in us.

The other bad thing is the Big12 dragging it's feet longer and not expanding is gonna end up costing us down the road also. They need to add BYU, Cincinnati, UCF, Memphis, Houston and someone NOW and hope to build on that foundation moving forward.

The real options for WVU are;

Big12 adds schools.
Big12 doesn't and in 4 years TCU ,OSU, Iowa State and Kansas are gone.

That's it

Reactions: Rootmaster
Lol, better get excited for the Big12 and the AAC alliance because that's our best case scenario.

Either that or we try and go independent which if we could make as much as a AAC payout I would rather see.

I just don't understand how so many people were convinced the ACC was coming for WVU. It obviously would have been the ACC's first move as soon as possible if WVU added value.

They would not have sit around twiddling their thumbs if it was a no brainer based on Facebook Fanbases and Brand recognition. It's about DOLLARS added.

If this is even remotely possible WVU is gonna have to offer a 50% off coupon or something to make the ACC interested in us.

The other bad thing is the Big12 dragging it's feet longer and not expanding is gonna end up costing us down the road also. They need to add BYU, Cincinnati, UCF, Memphis, Houston and someone NOW and hope to build on that foundation moving forward.

Big12 adds schools.

That's it
byu and tcu, lol

Maybe the SEC will take in the rest of the Big12 to counter. Have 24 teams

The remaining Little8 programs don’t offer the revenue potential that would move the SEC needle. Also adding those programs would not address the problem that a BigTen, ACC and PAC12 alliance would present to SEC.

Reactions: KingCoal
Teams like TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Kansas State may not like the outcome of what's about to occur. For that matter WVU, Oklahoma State, Kansas and ISU might no like it either.

Fans need to at least face the facts that these teams may be the first so called P5 teams left out of the next round of mergers.

I’m still thinking WVU, Oklahoma State and TCU will be fine when the dust settles.

Reactions: Panther_in_Kentucky
The remaining Little8 programs don’t offer the revenue potential that would move the SEC needle. Also adding those programs would not address the problem that a BigTen, ACC and PAC12 alliance would present to SEC.
That doesn't look like that is the main reason to add, just having more members to be able to dictate seems to be the driving force now.

Gotta love people that just come to troll with no knowledge of the subject being discussed.

No the BIG 12 is not in these talks per the reports, in fact they say the BIG 12 will NOT be included in this alliance, has nothing to do with Bowlsby talking with the PAC commish a couple of weeks back.
Yep gotta love it. This rumor has been around that other conferences were toying with the idea of working out a scheduling alliance. Do your research.

Yes the Big 12 isn’t mentioned to be in the talks, however there has been many tweets regarding BIG/PAC/ACC looking into regional pod’s and keeping their conferences in tact. It’s the perfect situation if it actually happens. The rest of the Big 12 teams will be fine with maybe a concern for Baylor, TT, or TCU. All three of those teams do and fit well In the AAC and not sure how they would play out.

You also have the SEC that could take the likes of Kansas, WVU, Ok St if they are left. This move, if it does happen, is huge for the lopsided ACC and BIG and struggling PAC. Could bring college football back to traditions which is what it needs as it circles the drain.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
What’s even more interesting is how the PAC is reaching out to Big12 and BIG. The PAC knows the BIG is next conference that will poach and they will go after PAC teams.

Big12 adds schools.

That's it
TCU ,OSU, Iowa State and Kansas gone where? They are no better or more important than WVU.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Well adding the BIG8 would be a start in that direction

Seriously dude you think the SEC made this move just to get pushed into adding a bunch of Hicktow, USA programs that offer absolutely nothing. IMO each one of other 3 should add school to get to 16 each. Then negotiate a new deal that bumps everyone up and have a Championship among the 48 teams with an 8 team playoff that offers 3 conference champs and 5 at large spots. If SEC wants in then they play nice with 3 other partners. If not, let them play with themselves and enjoy their boxed in regional status. No one in the NE gives a shit longterm about Texas playing Florida or Oklahoma playing South Carolina. No one out west gives a crap when UGA plays Ole Miss or LSU is playing Tennessee. No one in Chicago or Detroit gives one rats ass about anything SEC.

Obviously the BIG 12 schools including WVU just aren't going to do anything until the status of the pay owed them is in the bank.

After that perhaps the other conferences will look at additions.

If not then the BIG 12 schools will probably expand and begin looking at their next media deals and where they might come from.
Yep gotta love it. This rumor has been around that other conferences were toying with the idea of working out a scheduling alliance. Do your research.

Yes the Big 12 isn’t mentioned to be in the talks, however there has been many tweets regarding BIG/PAC/ACC looking into regional pod’s and keeping their conferences in tact. It’s the perfect situation if it actually happens. The rest of the Big 12 teams will be fine with maybe a concern for Baylor, TT, or TCU. All three of those teams do and fit well In the AAC and not sure how they would play out.

You also have the SEC that could take the likes of Kansas, WVU, Ok St if they are left. This move, if it does happen, is huge for the lopsided ACC and BIG and struggling PAC. Could bring college football back to traditions which is what it needs as it circles the drain.
dude it just came out late yesterday evening. I do my research-do yours. I don't generally play around in the twitterverse with unsourced rumors. You are talking about Bowlsby talking with the PAC commish perhaps.

The report from the Athletic specifically referenced that the BIG 12 is not being included in the alliance that the Big Ten, PAC and ACC commishes are discussing which could mean of course they intend to eventually absorb those schools, but its being played in the media as though they don't want to expand and so will work out a power alliance amongst themselves.

We'll see what comes of it. Trying to hold onto Gee's words that WVU will have a seat--absolutely should.

Last edited:
Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
It is encouraging that the PAC commissioner discussed that he met with the other A5 commissioners to discuss--all of them. The BIG 12 is still an A5 now.

From the Kansas camp:

Realignment Today: Alliance chatter between ACC, Big Ten & Pac-12 brings potentially scary times for Big 12​

excerpt:

According to the Athletic’s recent article, the Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC are now conducting “high-level discussions” about some kind of alliance that would further strengthen all three entities.

The basis for the alliance, according to the report, is scheduling. Think of it as the best football programs in each conference pairing up on a semi-regular basis to provide an even more appealing product for their television partners.

Such a move would drive up the price tag on broadcasting the games, and driving up the price tag means keeping up with the SEC in this new era of college athletics.

That alone is not the death knell for the Big 12. But, according to the Athletic’s sources, that’s not all there is to the discussions either.

Another factor in these three power conferences exploring the idea of teaming up is the idea that they then would work together — and more importantly vote together — on any major college athletics issues such as College Football Playoff expansion and governing changes at the NCAA level.

According to the article, the Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC do not need anyone in the Big 12 for that.

“While these plans are still in the works, it appears the Big 12 will not be included in the alliance,” the article reads.

Seriously dude you think the SEC made this move just to get pushed into adding a bunch of Hicktow, USA programs that offer absolutely nothing. IMO each one of other 3 should add school to get to 16 each. Then negotiate a new deal that bumps everyone up and have a Championship among the 48 teams with an 8 team playoff that offers 3 conference champs and 5 at large spots. If SEC wants in then they play nice with 3 other partners. If not, let them play with themselves and enjoy their boxed in regional status. No one in the NE gives a shit longterm about Texas playing Florida or Oklahoma playing South Carolina. No one out west gives a crap when UGA plays Ole Miss or LSU is playing Tennessee. No one in Chicago or Detroit gives one rats ass about anything SEC.
Greg realistically what could the other conferences add that would bring value. 16 may be what some consider a magic number but if the number in your bank account isn't going up then no point in proceeding with it.

Greg realistically what could the other conferences add that would bring value. 16 may be what some consider a magic number but if the number in your bank account isn't going up then no point in proceeding with it.
The simple fact of adding inventory would have to be additive to conferences.

With schools having all games controlled by the conference that leaves around 6-7 added football games and numerous basketball games per year from just one school.

In a 9 game conference schedule, You'd have 2 OOC home games and then 4 or 5 home conference games added. They'd come in at least pro rata for that conference.

But there could also be more value when you look at tv ratings.

i.e. WVU finished ahead of every ACC squad 2015-2019 outside of Clemson, Miami, FSU.

In the B10, WVU had more viewers than Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota, Maryland, Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers--half of that conference.

And of course leagues like the B10 have buy in periods too (Maryland and Rutgers still not at full payments).

Adding BIG 12 schools would also add real FANS to any league as well--many who previously would not watch Big Ten, PAC, ACC, SEC games.

Last edited:
Reactions: michaelwalkerbr

Not sure geez. I think it looks like a two prong approach to neutralize SEC. On one side get enough quantity out vote SEC on everything. On the other side is to create a money play that is attractive to networks. What the end game is is anybodies guess. I’m just the next fanboy brainstorming haha. Unlike @TownesVanZandt i don’t act like my content contribution is factual or better than anyone else.

Right now, as president Gee stated, we are looking at a few years before things begin shaking out.

Texas and OU are trying not to pay to get out of the league. But you can bet after this upcoming football season suddenly things will be different and the money will magically appear to try to get out early. Don't know if the 8 core members will be agreeable considering the circumstances.

But, no offers are coming anyones way until UT/OU are officially out.

The Core 8 have some weight though still in terms of voting power. How? Because ESPN already has the SEC and 11 team AAC in tow---=equals 27 teams. They also have other G5 conferences like the MAC, Sunbelt, BYU who are probably going to vote with the SEC. That's Sunbelt-10 votes, MAC-12, BYU-1 or 23 extra votes or 50 votes (not sure if G5 get full votes)

So--if the ACC actually bucks the hand that feeds it, the Big Ten and PAC (FOX) have (14 +14+12=40). Add in the 8 BIG 12 schools =48, plus Notre Dame and you've got 49 schools in a voting block. Leave out the BIG 12 and you lose any hope of advantage possibly.

Makes lots of sense--ND independent, 4 B12 to PAC (T Tech, TCU, KSU, OK State), 2 to B1G (ISU, Kansas) and WVU and Baylor to the ACC (allows the ACC to renegotiate deals upward and keeps their basketball on par with the B10 too.)

Maybe a Navy from the AAC votes with bud Notre Dame and a few independents such as UMass and or UConn also vote against an ESPN block?

We shall see what happens.

The simple fact of adding inventory would have to be additive to conferences.

With schools having all games controlled by the conference that leaves around 6-7 added football games and numerous basketball games per year from just one school.

In a 9 game conference schedule, You'd have 2 OOC home games and then 4 or 5 home conference games added. They'd come in at least pro rata for that conference.

But there could also be more value when you look at tv ratings.

i.e. WVU finished ahead of every ACC squad 2015-2019 outside of Clemson, Miami, FSU.

In the B10, WVU had more viewers than Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota, Maryland, Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers--half of that conference.

And of course leagues like the B10 have buy in periods too (Maryland and Rutgers still not at full payments).

Dude you can’t help but keep making the WVU case. Your dots are literally irrelevant to the discussion in the big boy room. Things will work out fine for WVU, Oklahoma St and TCU but you have no idea why.

Dude you can’t help but keep making the WVU case. Your dots are literally irrelevant to the discussion in the big boy room. Things will work out fine for WVU, Oklahoma St and TCU but you have no idea why.
If my “dots” are irrelevant then why the f are you so worried about me posting facts about WVU?

If my “dots” are irrelevant then why the f are you so worried about me posting facts about WVU?

Umm because we are engaged in a thread sir. You keep throwing up WVU that-a-boys that have nothing to do with the fact If there is an alliance with BigTen, ACC and PAC 12 the Big12 is officially done as a Power Conference and WVU is in harms way. Dude there are quite a few insiders reporting what I just posted. So let me repeat.......your WVU dots are irrelevant and basically Dr. Feelgoods for homers like you.

3 hours ago Dennis Dodd updated his inside take and said in a nutshell bye bye Big12. Also said he’s hearing all of Little8 are on outside looking in.
ACCept it dude.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingCoal
Umm because we are engaged in a thread sir. You keep throwing up WVU that-a-boys that have nothing to do with the fact If there is an alliance with BigTen, ACC and PAC 12 the Big12 is officially done as a Power Conference and WVU is in harms way. Dude there are quite a few insiders reporting what I just posted. So let me repeat.......your WVU dots are irrelevant and basically Dr. Feelgoods for homers like you.

3 hours ago Dennis Dodd updated his inside take and said in a nutshell bye bye Big12. Also said he’s hearing all of Little8 are on outside looking in.
ACCept it dude.
Why are you so upset? Why do you care if I "keep throwing up WVU that-a-boys"?

Obviously, social media has an enormous impact on these issues, which is EXACTLY why you are here in the first place to try to disparage everything WVU night and day and why posers like you spent a decade on Texas and Oklahoma message boards downrating everything BIG 12 24/7 365. They and you aren't doing it for your health.

So----you go ahead with your endless anti BIG 12-anti WVU bashing and I'll continue posting facts about WVU and its athletics that can be passed along on any social media outlet that anyone so desires and will eventually be presented to people that make decisions elsewhere.

Could be a conference considering expansion to get more revenues for its membership.

Could be media decision makers assessing value to a league and/or school or schools down the road.

In the end we shall see who comes out on top. WVU isn't going to be relegated down by you and your incessant intentional negativity.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAK125
Why are you so upset? Why do you care if I "keep throwing up WVU that-a-boys"?

Obviously, social media has an enormous impact on these issues, which is EXACTLY why you are here in the first place to try to disparage everything WVU night and day and why posers like you spent a decade on Texas and Oklahoma message boards downrating everything BIG 12 24/7 365. They and you aren't doing it for your health.

So----you go ahead with your endless anti BIG 12-anti WVU bashing and I'll continue posting facts about WVU and its athletics that can be passed along on any social media outlet that anyone so desires and will eventually be presented to people that make decisions elsewhere.

Could be a conference considering expansion to get more revenues for its membership.

Could be media decision makers assessing value to a league and/or school or schools down the road.

In the end we shall see who comes out on top. WVU isn't going to be relegated down by you and your incessant intentional negativity.

No one is upset haha. Just messin with a homer. There is dialog and you seem to forget some of us want to discuss realities not “yay for WVU viewership” or “why does everyone say we suck”. You say “at the end we’ll see who comes out on top”…….dude you’re a silly fool.

Realities = OU/UT/ESPN will pay WVU and the remaining BIG 12 members before those schools depart. In the meantime the schools will remain together.

There is no actual alliance between the ACC/BigTen/PAC yet and no one knows except those conferences if they intend to absorb others --obviously won't do anything until after OU/UT have actually departed.

In the meantime WVU and all BIG 12 programs should make sure any boards, social media that they have anything at all to do with shut out OOC troll fools like you whose sole intention is to wreck everything they've built.

Of course most other schools boards already don't allow your sort of b.s. at all.

Its also likely court action and some federal involvement are on the way.

We'll see how it shakes out. Meanwhile I'll continue to discuss realities of WVU athletics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT