ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD Backyard Brawl - WVU vs Pitt

How do you think Gee and co would feel if Morgantown PD setup DUI stops at every exit of MPS parking lots for gamedays? You know, since we’re a good clean family fun kind of AD and all with no room for a coach who drinks…
Wouldn't bother me a bit.

I never said it was harmless ol. Just pointing out facts is all. How often do you text and drive? 6 times more dangerous than drinking and driving, but I think its more because the problem with measuring the drinking and driving stats is the elephant in the room, which is the sheer number of people who actually drink and drive every single day and will never admit it except to their closest peeps. Too many people doing it that will never really be accounted for. But its easy to see how many when you pay attention. 60,000 people on a full game day. How many of those people are driving after having drinks? Over 50% of them at least, all driving at the same time. The bar down the road from me, packed 7 nights per week. They all drive drunk every day and dont get caught unless an incident happens which is very rare. Im not advocating drinking and driving, but I think there are a lot of people who are not aware of a lot of things in reality sense, and all they know is patch the pony type stuff.

So, forreal, how often do you text and drive? Twice per day? Every time you drive? Be honest....

Did you guys know that Bob Huggins has done more for cancer research in WV than probably any single person in the state, ever? Ever lost anyone to that nasty stuff? Bob Huggins is a hero....
I have never texted while driving. Have never taken a call or made a call while driving.

We are talking driving impaired. It's ridiculous you can't see this.

What does raising money for cancer research have to do with DUI?

You are wrong on texting being #1 cause of death when driving.

Last edited:
Another dumbass answer.
Your whole stance along with the rest of the phony Justice League here is just that.

DUI = throw out a person’s entire life, send them to jail with the rapists and murderers, blow up an entire program and make countless people (AD employees, coaches, players, anyone who relies on WVU sports for income) deal with the negative fallout. Nevermind that we hired him off of a DUI, and experienced the best run in program history.

Good God, judgemental bunch here that has obviously never made a mistake or had anyone they know ever make a mistake. You all must be a blast IRL.

If you want to support DUI then by all means. Personally I think you a fool to do so.
lol “support DUI”? Is that what you think this is? There are laws in place, I support the punishment for doing so, I don’t support tarring and feathering a person for screwing up when they have otherwise been a decent person.

Your whole stance along with the rest of the phony Justice League here is just that.

DUI = throw out a person’s entire life, send them to jail with the rapists and murderers, blow up an entire program and make countless people (AD employees, coaches, players, anyone who relies on WVU sports for income) deal with the negative fallout. Nevermind that we hired him off of a DUI, and experienced the best run in program history.

Good God, judgemental bunch here that has obviously never made a mistake or had anyone they know ever make a mistake. You all must be a blast IRL.
2nd DUI. Also his 2nd embarrassing outlook in less than 2 months. He's lucky he wasn't fired after the first incident.

He's representing the University and the state as a whole.

Best thing to ever happen to him health wise is being booted. He's a good 50 to 80 pounds lighter. Should have retired 5 years ago.

Give up your lame ass response on driving under the influence.

lol “support DUI”? Is that what you think this is? There are laws in place, I support the punishment for doing so, I don’t support tarring and feathering a person for screwing up when they have otherwise been a decent person.
You have an ID-10-T problem.

2nd DUI. Also his 2nd embarrassing outlook in less than 2 months. He's lucky he wasn't fired after the first incident.

He's representing the University and the state as a whole.

Best thing to ever happen to him health wise is being booted. He's a good 50 to 80 pounds lighter. Should have retired 5 years ago.

Give up your lame ass response on driving under the influence.
What the hell is the difference of a 2nd one 20 years later when we hired him off the first? We obviously knew he might do it again. Our University was one of the first ones to offer booze in an on campus stadium, were viewed as a party school, like this isn’t West Point FFS, people will think whatever they want regardless if we retained or fired him.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
I have never texted while dring. Have never taken a call or made a call while driving.

We are talking drivig impaired. It's ridiculous you can't see this.

What does raising money for cancer research have to do with DUI?

You are wrong on texting being #1 cause of death when driving.
I never said it was the number 1 cause of death. Are you drinking? I just said it is considered 6 times more dangerous than drinking and driving, and people do it all the time at ridiculous rates.

What the hell is the difference of a 2nd one 20 years later when we hired him off the first? We obviously knew he might do it again. Our University was one of the first ones to offer booze in an on campus stadium, were viewed as a party school, like this isn’t West Point FFS, people will think whatever they want regardless if we retained or fired him.
When I grew up WVU was the #1 party school in the country. It was insane. Just being in Morgantown during those years I have seen so, so many people drive drunk i'm pretty much immune to it. Ive seen off-duty cops drive home after drinking numerous times. On any given Friday night in town, you could bet that 80% of all traffic were driving under the influence of something. Were there incidents? Yeah but not as many as people would expect. One of my best friends older brother crashed drunk and killed his two best friends but he lived through it. It was well known that he was a super fast, reckless driver even without drinking. It was probably going to happen sober, drunk or not with him at some point because he had leadfoot. Its sad, it just is.

Reactions: xWVU2010x
Neal Brown hired Gerad Parker as our OC after he had a DUI. WVU constitutional law professor Bob Bastress got a DUI and didn’t lose his job.
Seems like an inconsistent application of our administrators principles.

Neal Brown hired Gerad Parker as our OC after he had a DUI. WVU constitutional law professor Bob Bastress got a DUI and didn’t lose his job.

Definitely no consistency at all. Huggins was an easy target because he isnt woke.

Let's put this thread to a rest. Huggins wasn't "fired" because of a DUI. The DUI was just the final straw.

As has been mentioned, there was the radio incident that embarrassed both the university and Huggins. While the remarks themselves weren't that bad, they were certainly boorish but worst of all ill-timed as Huggins' contract was coming due and the university was looking to go another direction anyway.

Then came the DUI. In and of itself is pretty bad but the details are horrendous:
1) So drunk didn't realize had a flat tire.
2) Too drunk to change flat tire.
3) Got stuck in middle of intersection blocking traffic flow which was already heavy due to Taylor Swift concert.
4) When asked to leave vehicle by police, couldn't walk without stagger.
5) When asked where he was, did not know. Stated Columbus?
6) Blew nearly 3 times legal limit on breathalyzer.
7) Trash bags full of beer cans found in car.
8) Taken to jail.

All of these signs point to Huggins' alcoholism. Not a very well kept secret but certainly kept hushed. This DUI threatened to expose everybody involved - Bob being clearly an alcoholic who refused to accept responsibility and the university for knowing but not dealing with it and almost having a huge scandal on its hands.

Why was the university looking another direction? Because Huggins wasn't "living up" to the salary he was getting and demanding.

Huggins was clearly a Hall of Fame coach. His record demonstrates that. His record puts him in some very elite company. Men like Coach K, Calipari, Roy Williams. But the record also shows a coach on the downhill slide and a coach who could not nor would not adapt.

Each of the coaches listed above recruit top level players, i.e. 5 stars, McDonald All Americans, etc. Each of the coaches listed above put numerous players into the NBA. We all agree recruiting and development are the key to consistency. Again, all were consistent winners and big winners since 2007 when Huggins arrived at WVU...

Except Huggins.

McDonald All-Americans, 5 star players? Duke, Kentucky, UNC - many. WVU - 2 maybe.
NBA players - Duke, UK, UNC - many and a lot of starters. WVU - 3 or so? One part-time starter.

Regular season championships - Duke - 2, UK-6, UNC-7. Huggins - 0

Conference championships? Duke - 5, UK - 6, UNC - 2. Huggins - 1

NCAA appearances - Duke - 13, UK - 11, UNC - 12. Huggins - 11.
Final Fours - Duke - 3, UK - 3, UNC - 4. Huggins - 1
National Champs - Duke - 2, UK - 1, UNC - 2. Huggins - 0.

Winning percentage at their school - K - .785, Cal- .774, Roy-.748. Huggins -.630.

What do all these stats show? That compared to elite company Huggins couldn't recruit with his peers, win regular season or conference championships like his peers, and while able to get into the tournament at the same rate as his peers he wasn't able to produce results like his peers. For the price he was being paid, and the leeway his was given while others looked the other way, Huggins had every opportunity but didn't capitalize. Then, refused to accept responsibility while casting blame on others. He put the school in precarious positions time and again and finally the bell tolled. What the future holds for WVU basketball is uncertain but a solid foundation was built by Belien and Huggins. Hopefully, the next coach, no matter who it is, can get us to the mountaintop.

So, you don't know what happened, can't refute the facts, base your arguments off emotions like Maddow does, and resort to ad hominem attacks to make yourself feel better?

Reactions: WVUALLEN
I never said it was the number 1 cause of death. Are you drinking? I just said it is considered 6 times more dangerous than drinking and driving, and people do it all the time at ridiculous rates.
What does any of that have to do with a man representing the University of WV very poorly in his final 2 to 3 months.

When I grew up WVU was the #1 party school in the country. It was insane. Just being in Morgantown during those years I have seen so, so many people drive drunk i'm pretty much immune to it. Ive seen off-duty cops drive home after drinking numerous times. On any given Friday night in town, you could bet that 80% of all traffic were driving under the influence of something. Were there incidents? Yeah but not as many as people would expect. One of my best friends older brother crashed drunk and killed his two best friends but he lived through it. It was well known that he was a super fast, reckless driver even without drinking. It was probably going to happen sober, drunk or not with him at some point because he had leadfoot. Its sad, it just is.
So this all makes it ok for a WVU coach who was coaching on suspension to begin with to go out and drink and drive get caught and then be worshiped as in no harm no foul. What's sad is 2 humans pretending it's all a big misunderstanding and Huggins should be back in business. Drinking and driving is cool they say. Everybody does it.

Seems like we have another that supports DUI.

Were those other individuals already on a suspension for being an ass on the radio?

Let's put this thread to a rest. Huggins wasn't "fired" because of a DUI. The DUI was just the final straw.

As has been mentioned, there was the radio incident that embarrassed both the university and Huggins. While the remarks themselves weren't that bad, they were certainly boorish but worst of all ill-timed as Huggins' contract was coming due and the university was looking to go another direction anyway.

Then came the DUI. In and of itself is pretty bad but the details are horrendous:
3) Got stuck in middle of intersection blocking traffic flow which was already heavy due to Taylor Swift concert.
8) Taken to jail.

All of these signs point to Huggins' alcoholism. Not a very well kept secret but certainly kept hushed. This DUI threatened to expose everybody involved - Bob being clearly an alcoholic who refused to accept responsibility and the university for knowing but not dealing with it and almost having a huge scandal on its hands.

Why was the university looking another direction? Because Huggins wasn't "living up" to the salary he was getting and demanding.

Huggins was clearly a Hall of Fame coach. His record demonstrates that. His record puts him in some very elite company. Men like Coach K, Calipari, Roy Williams. But the record also shows a coach on the downhill slide and a coach who could not nor would not adapt.

Each of the coaches listed above recruit top level players, i.e. 5 stars, McDonald All Americans, etc. Each of the coaches listed above put numerous players into the NBA. We all agree recruiting and development are the key to consistency. Again, all were consistent winners and big winners since 2007 when Huggins arrived at WVU...

Except Huggins.

McDonald All-Americans, 5 star players? Duke, Kentucky, UNC - many. WVU - 2 maybe.
NBA players - Duke, UK, UNC - many and a lot of starters. WVU - 3 or so? One part-time starter.

Winning percentage at their school - K - .785, Cal- .774, Roy-.748. Huggins -.630.

What do all these stats show? That compared to elite company Huggins couldn't recruit with his peers, win regular season or conference championships like his peers, and while able to get into the tournament at the same rate as his peers he wasn't able to produce results like his peers. For the price he was being paid, and the leeway his was given while others looked the other way, Huggins had every opportunity but didn't capitalize. Then, refused to accept responsibility while casting blame on others. He put the school in precarious positions time and again and finally the bell tolled. What the future holds for WVU basketball is uncertain but a solid foundation was built by Belien and Huggins. Hopefully, the next coach, no matter who it is, can get us to the mountaintop.
Agree with everything said. Exception being it's hard to compare anyone's career to the three you mentioned.

Huggins won at other schools. He coached more than one place.
Wiki:

Awards
Championships
2 NCAA Regional – Final Four (1992, 2010)
OVC regular season (1986)
OVC tournament (1986)
2 Great Midwest regular season (1992, 1993)
4 Great Midwest tournament (1992–1995)
8 C-USA regular season (1996–2002, 2004)
4 C-USA Tournament (1996, 1998, 2002, 2004)
Big East tournament (2010)
C-USA Coach of the Decade (2005)
3× C-USA Coach of the Year (1998–2000)
OVC Coach of the Year (1986)
Big 12 Coach of the Year (2015)
Jim Phelan Award (2015)

So, you don't know what happened, can't refute the facts, base your arguments off emotions like Maddow does, and resort to ad hominem attacks to make yourself feel better?
The stuff you posted are not all facts and I would say almost none of of it. Its just a twisted, skewed version that you made lot of assumptions to get to. Speculation rumor mill shit.

Last edited:
So this all makes it ok for a WVU coach who was coaching on suspension to begin with to go out and drink and drive get caught and then be worshiped as in no harm no foul. What's sad is 2 humans pretending it's all a big misunderstanding and Huggins should be back in business. Drinking and driving is cool they say. Everybody does it.
Just 2 huh? That is funny. There are a whole bunch of fans who would point out the basic stuff I'm pointing out. Probably the majority of fans tbh. I have seen more people who support Huggs and even want him back, than not. There are a lot of people in this world who can look at things with logic over emotion. You dont seem to be one of them.

8) Taken to jail.

Except Huggins.

If the guy is a legitimate alcoholic and has been for many years like many are suggesting then he wouldn’t even be able to make it through the job commitments at his age and without the burden of being a D1 head coach to force him to stop drinking for hours at a time basically daily, then he should be off the rails completely… but he didn’t miss games or practice, and he is by all accounts in a much better headspace as he tries to rehab his public image. He’s a flawed person that likes to tie one on and made a mistake millions of Americans make, it’s bad but not unforgivable, hence why our legal system doesn’t throw people in jail like rapists and murderers like some of these wannabe Boy Scouts want to do.

As for Huggins the coach, I agree the end was near but we bare minimum needed to let him coach one more season as we missed the hiring window and had a full boat of transfers committed to play for him, not the substitute teacher we have out there now. By doing what we did we have potentially doomed this program for 5+ years (about how long it took Cincinnati to pull itself out of the gutter). Not only did we send Huggins out without a real coach to take his place, we also simultaneously took a shit on the legacy of his teams, basically throwing out the brand we are known for as a hard nosed rebounding team that has lived in the tournament for the better part of 20 years and left with no identity and trying to find a coach who will need to fill an empty cupboard without a brand to sell on the recruiting trail.

Comparing him to those who coached at the blue bloods is pointless. He is not a blue blood coach. Cincinnati and WVU are middling programs traditionally and he is the best coach in WVU history and the best in the modern era for UC. You stuck him on Duke, I don’t know what happens, probably not a culture fit with McD AAs and their fans, Joe Alexander, Jevon Carter, Da’sean Butler, John Flowers and KJ don’t usually end up at those places.

Just 2 huh? That is funny. There are a whole bunch of fans who would point out the basic stuff I'm pointing out. Probably the majority of fans tbh. I have seen more people who support Huggs and even want him back, than not. There are a lot of people in this world who can look at things with logic over emotion. You dont seem to be one of them.
He lost my support when he got behind the wheel sloshed out his mind with no idea where he was nor didn't even know he had a flat.

Good luck to him. I hope he seeks help for his alcoholism.

If the guy is a legitimate alcoholic and has been for many years like many are suggesting then he wouldn’t even be able to make it through the job commitments at his age and without the burden of being a D1 head coach to force him to stop drinking for hours at a time basically daily, then he should be off the rails completely… but he didn’t miss games or practice, and he is by all accounts in a much better headspace as he tries to rehab his public image. He’s a flawed person that likes to tie one on and made a mistake millions of Americans make, it’s bad but not unforgivable, hence why our legal system doesn’t throw people in jail like rapists and murderers like some of these wannabe Boy Scouts want to do.

As for Huggins the coach, I agree the end was near but we bare minimum needed to let him coach one more season as we missed the hiring window and had a full boat of transfers committed to play for him, not the substitute teacher we have out there now. By doing what we did we have potentially doomed this program for 5+ years (about how long it took Cincinnati to pull itself out of the gutter). Not only did we send Huggins out without a real coach to take his place, we also simultaneously took a shit on the legacy of his teams, basically throwing out the brand we are known for as a hard nosed rebounding team that has lived in the tournament for the better part of 20 years and left with no identity and trying to find a coach who will need to fill an empty cupboard without a brand to sell on the recruiting trail.

Comparing him to those who coached at the blue bloods is pointless. He is not a blue blood coach. Cincinnati and WVU are middling programs traditionally and he is the best coach in WVU history and the best in the modern era for UC. You stuck him on Duke, I don’t know what happens, probably not a culture fit with McD AAs and their fans, Joe Alexander, Jevon Carter, Da’sean Butler, John Flowers and KJ don’t usually end up at those places.
It's obvious you are clueless as to what an alcoholic is.

Reactions: WVUFanForever
It's obvious you are clueless as to what an alcoholic is.
Didn’t realize you had full access to Huggins to monitor his daily drinking habits. You can get in a car drunk a few times and it doesn’t mean you’re slipping shooters at halftime to ensure you can continue to function. Being a guy who drives drunk does not automatically equal drunk all day every day.

Didn’t realize you had full access to Huggins to monitor his daily drinking habits. You can get in a car drunk a few times and it doesn’t mean you’re slipping shooters at halftime to ensure you can continue to function. Being a guy who drives drunk does not automatically equal drunk all day every day.
Are you really that tone deaf to all the times he was drunk, did something stupid and it was reported?

You probably were the years he made the tournament since that made you happy.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Thanks for proving my point. Have a good time posting meaningless bullshit in a thread long dead.

Are you really that tone deaf to all the times he was drunk, did something stupid and it was reported?

You probably were the years he made the tournament since that made you happy.
A 24 hour news cycle will do that to a guy
Thanks for proving my point. Have a good time posting meaningless bullshit in a thread long dead.
No ones forcing you to respond with your nothingburger posts chief

He lost my support when he got behind the wheel sloshed out his mind with no idea where he was nor didn't even know he had a flat.

Good luck to him. I hope he seeks help for his alcoholism.
His statement refuted that and the judge apparently believed him since he only got a slap on the wrist. Everyone got their panties in a bunch over a scribbled up police report that had no real details in it. The Columbus thing was a joke. He knew where he was. He collects cans it's been proven since then. Even non wvu fans love Huggs and believe him and the judge. The only people anti Huggins are about 10% of pissed off, bitter WVU fans. Its just how it is. He is loved by the basketball world and should be. He's good for the game and I hope he moves on to much bigger things than WVU could provide him. He made a mistake but he's a human and he deserves a chance to redeem himself and forgiveness

Last edited:
How many chances do you think he has already had? You turn a blind eye to a lot of things.
Dude there are real actual criminals running the streets right now hurting people, stealing, destroying, etc. We have 5000+ illegals per day coming through the southern border. Drug addition is the worst its ever been in history and WV is one of the worst states for it. Parts of Morgantown itself is being overrun by junkies, creating more crime than ever. But Bob Huggins deserves no forgiveness, no chance to redeem himself for a tiny petty crime in your eyes lol? Are some kind of weird authoritarian kind of person? Because if you are, fk off forreal....

Dude there are real actual criminals running the streets right now hurting people, stealing, destroying, etc. We have 5000+ illegals per day coming through the southern border. Drug addition is the worst its ever been in history and WV is one of the worst states for it. Parts of Morgantown itself is being overrun by junkies, creating more crime than ever. But Bob Huggins deserves no forgiveness, no chance to redeem himself for a tiny petty crime in your eyes lol? Are some kind of weird authoritarian kind of person? Because if you are, fk off forreal....
Your defense of Huggs is always (real criminals are out there; others drive drunk).....why don't you just hold him accountable of being really stupid and stop with others are doing. That has no baring on Huggs making the dumbest of dumb decisions. But because person A does something worse than Huggs, that makes what Huggs did okay.

You have weird logic son.

And Huggs has every chance to redeem himself and ask for forgiveness, just not as head coach at WVU....see how that works?

Reactions: WVUALLEN and WVUBRU
Your defense of Huggs is always (real criminals are out there; others drive drunk).....why don't you just hold him accountable of being really stupid and stop with others are doing. That has no baring on Huggs making the dumbest of dumb decisions. But because person A does something worse than Huggs, that makes what Huggs did okay.

You have weird logic son.

And Huggs has every chance to redeem himself and ask for forgiveness, just not as head coach at WVU....see how that works?
The legal system held him accountable. Gee held him accountable. WTF are you even talking about, little boy? I'm taking up for the man because he is a human being who has done a lot for the state and school that I love, unlike your other common criminals. Unlike you. Wtf do you do, really? Do you know how much he does to help people? You are the one treating him as if he's some kind of a murderer. You even bring in the word rape when describing his DUI lol. You treat him as if he hurt someone when he didnt. Oh but he could have. Oh but so could have you, even sober, you fkn idiot. Accidents happen all the time. It didnt happen to him though. He got a flat tire, and got a DUI. They fired him.... but didnt have to. Gee and Baker messed up when they fired him in the manner that they did, and WVU bball and fans pay the price watching half the team walk. That is all I ever said. I just have a notion to take up for Huggins when you and your pussy committee are on here whining about how bad of a person he is.

Last edited:
Reactions: xWVU2010x
The legal system held him accountable. Gee held him accountable. WTF are you even talking about, little boy? I'm taking up for the man because he is a human being who has done a lot for the state and school that I love, unlike your other common criminals. Unlike you. Wtf do you do, really? Do you know how much he does to help people? You are the one treating him as if he's some kind of a murderer. You even bring in the word rape when describing his DUI lol. You treat him as if he hurt someone when he didnt. Oh but he could have. Oh but so could have you, even sober, you fkn idiot. Accidents happen all the time. It didnt happen to him though. He got a flat tire, and got a DUI. They fired him.... but didnt have to. Gee and Baker messed up when they fired him in the manner that they did, and WVU bball and fans pay the price watching half the team walk. That is all I ever said. I just have a notion to take up for Huggins when you and your pussy committee are on here whining about how bad of a person he is.
Huggins was out getting toys for poor kids last weekend, and this tool was on here shitting on him inferring he is on par with a rapist. I think Huggins actions since all of this went down shows he is 100% authentic in his love for the school and state, while his bosses are actively destroying both, but you will never convince these Nancy’s that drunk man isn’t bad.

Huggins was out getting toys for poor kids last weekend, and this tool was on here shitting on him inferring he is on par with a rapist. I think Huggins actions since all of this went down shows he is 100% authentic in his love for the school and state, while his bosses are actively destroying both, but you will never convince these Nancy’s that drunk man isn’t bad.
Again...comprehension isn't your strong point...re-read my post. You truly are a shit for brains...please link where i said Huggins is on par with a rapist...I will wait.

From now on, if you don't understand someone's post, maybe you shouldn't respond to it.

Go ahead and link it up son....I will wait.

SO.....what is your moral compass for a coach that is a leader of young men that is more important that 20 year olds not winning enough basketball games to make you happy? Would you be okay if Hugges assaulted someone. Raped someone?

Since a DUI isnt it. I mean what the hell...one is fine.....right?
Bringing rape into the conversation while Huggins is literally out there making sure kids have a Christmas that they otherwise wouldn’t have had…

Besides watching our basketball team battle in close games with teams who have High School level followings, and judge people for their worst moments, what do you do on your weekends?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT