ADVERTISEMENT

WVU football (last) #65 in net profit for all power 5 teams

Apr 11, 2007
Indiana
Rutgers at #64 broke even.
The article which cited that we had near sell of our home games questioned why we were in last place again. Unfortunately our basketball team ran a deficit this year. That’s probably due to not getting tournament money and the cost of traveling for so many distant big XII away games.
Put together Mens basketball and Football cleared around $100K in profit.Texas football brought in $165 million in profit (thanks largely to their Longhorn network deal).
https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...ue-figures-for-all-65-power-five-schools.html

Last edited:
This is another reason the Athletic Department needs to keep an eye and ear open for another conference affiliation. Nothing against the B12 athletically. It's just the time and expense of the constant long distance travel, and the B12's refusal to accommodate our needs.

Although there are many things wrong with the P12, one thing it does is limits all basketball games to Thursday/Friday and Saturday/Sunday only. And, teams travel in pairs to play regional opponents in pairs. For example, both Washington schools visit both Arizona schools the same weekend, or vice versa. However, it seems like we play one road game and one or two home games each week while in the B12 schedule. This is very trying on both our athletes and our athletic budget. And, I do not see this changing any time soon in the short term. The only real long term solution is finding a more travel friendly conference.

I think this year WVU played two double road games.
First: Kansas then Oklahoma State

Later: TCU then Texas

That is an improvement.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Is this the real number or a number posted. Budgets can be fidgeted to show one thing when it's actually something else.

These numbers are direct income into your football program.

Seems like WVU doesn't claim football income for some things and leaves it as overall income.

If you look at overall revenue WVU is on the top half.

But regarding their income for football.
1) Stadium- More luxury boxes
2) Advertising- WVU has solid attendance and great TV ratings

This is another reason the Athletic Department needs to keep an eye and ear open for another conference affiliation. Nothing against the B12 athletically. It's just the time and expense of the constant long distance travel, and the B12's refusal to accommodate our needs.

Although there are many things wrong with the P12, one thing it does is limits all basketball games to Thursday/Friday and Saturday/Sunday only. And, teams travel in pairs to play regional opponents in pairs. For example, both Washington schools visit both Arizona schools the same weekend, or vice versa. However, it seems like we play one road game and one or two home games each week while in the B12 schedule. This is very trying on both our athletes and our athletic budget. And, I do not see this changing any time soon in the short term. The only real long term solution is finding a more travel friendly conference.

If the PAC 12 mergers with the Big 12.
Have to hope and pray that the ACC is interested if there isn't a seat at the table.

This should be a wake up call to the people around WVU.
They have been competitive even with a financial disadvantage.

If everyone who loves WVU is willing to financially support their program they may live up to the expectations.

With the new social distancing policies, could WVU just remote play all the teams in the Big 12 from home?

Reactions: 1duluth1
The article which cited that we had near sell of our home games questioned why we were in last place again. Unfortunately our basketball team ran a deficit this year. That’s probably due to not getting tournament money and the cost of traveling for so many distant big XII away games.
Put together Mens basketball and Football cleared around $100K in profit.Texas football brought in $165 million in profit (thanks largely to their Longhorn network deal).
https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...ue-figures-for-all-65-power-five-schools.html
Two words...Bull Sh_t! I really cannot believe that our football program generates only $24.7m compared to Spitt at $39m and Iowa State at $51m. I am not an accountant but those fb programs are not generating that much more than WVU. I also question the source. Our program is in much better shape than many of the programs listed above us. This reminds me of creative accounting at its best.

Iowa State has Big AG behind them. A lot of those companies have diversified into energy recently.

Iowa State's fanbase is highly motivated and has done what they can to help their football program.

You are right in a way. This is why overall revenue is more important
Some schools are including certain things in their football revenue while others are not.

It's not as bad as it looks. I wouldn't call it creative accounting but revenue has a very specific meaning to an accountant that it may not have to a reporter. For starters, how on Earth did they get data from the private schools of the P5? They are not required by law and as a rule of practice never provide athletic department financial information.

Wait! This can’t be so! According to the nimrod homers on this site the WVU Athletic Department is the monetary envy of the world. You guys are idiots. 5, 4, 3,2,1........move the goal posts so your retard narratives aren’t blown to smithereens.

Last edited:
Reactions: tOSUGrad90
These numbers are direct income into your football program.

Seems like WVU doesn't claim football income for some things and leaves it as overall income.

If you look at overall revenue WVU is on the top half.

But regarding their income for football.
1) Stadium- More luxury boxes
2) Advertising- WVU has solid attendance and great TV ratings

LOL. And here we go haha. You’re such a loser Pride

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
Two words...Bull Sh_t! I really cannot believe that our football program generates only $24.7m compared to Spitt at $39m and Iowa State at $51m. I am not an accountant but those fb programs are not generating that much more than WVU. I also question the source. Our program is in much better shape than many of the programs listed above us. This reminds me of creative accounting at its best.

ACCept it little brother

If the PAC 12 mergers with the Big 12.
Have to hope and pray that the ACC is interested if there isn't a seat at the table.

This should be a wake up call to the people around WVU.
They have been competitive even with a financial disadvantage.

If everyone who loves WVU is willing to financially support their program they may live up to the expectations.

Hey loser ACC is here to stay. College football and networks will never leave the eastern seaboard and atlantic coast behind. How’s the Big12 network workin out? Net win?

Greggy you are too insecure.

Big East football conference says hello.

Without Penn State it is very difficult to hold down the Northeast.
Replace Pitt with Penn State. Bring back Maryland and bring in ND as a full member I agree.

B1G has the Northeast on lockdown.

No one said anything about the ACC.
Point is if the Big 12 goes West and merges with the PAC 12 WVU needs a seat at the table.

If not they better hope and pray the ACC picks them up
Even then that could be short-term because where ND is at.
ND is thinking and wanting a super conference with the best of the Big 12, PAC 12 and ACC

That source is HIGHLY suspect. A partisan rag in a state protecting the interests of its instate university against all would-be recruiting rivals.

I don’t buy any of it.

Greggy you are too insecure.

Big East football conference says hello.

Without Penn State it is very difficult to hold down the Northeast.
Replace Pitt with Penn State. Bring back Maryland and bring in ND as a full member I agree.

B1G has the Northeast on lockdown.

No one said anything about the ACC.
Point is if the Big 12 goes West and merges with the PAC 12 WVU needs a seat at the table.

If not they better hope and pray the ACC picks them up
Even then that could be short-term because where ND is at.
ND is thinking and wanting a super conference with the best of the Big 12, PAC 12 and ACC

You’re such a loser Pride. What’s sad is you don’t realize that fact.

You’re such a loser Pride. What’s sad is you don’t realize that fact.

Poor Greggy.
You have such a damaged ego around me it is sad.

Remember this regarding the ACC.
ND hasn't won a NC since 1988.

They want to find a way to return to what they had

This thread was posted by a self praising troll who likely has many faux i.d.'s on this board to get his precious "like" numbers up, just like the Moo U fans. I'd say he's a Pitt fan as this goes back at least 13 years. Put him on ignore and get on about your business.

High as always,Greggy Hoo? Stay out of the spray paint and paper towel section of Dollar General. You can whip the aroma of Sweet Lady
Toulene. We're all pulling for you.

Pitt has 1200 paying football fans at their home games, and most of those are opposing fans and doesnt have any fans, let alone any who would, or even can donate to their program. It probably all comes from the Rooneys

Poor Greggy.
You have such a damaged ego around me it is sad.

Remember this regarding the ACC.
ND hasn't won a NC since 1988.

They want to find a way to return to what they had

Remember this.........you’re a racist homophobic scumbag

Poor Greggy...

Should really grow up.

Overall athletic revenue is much more important than this

Take away the Rooneys direct saving of their asses, and them using the Steelers and Heinz field names, and sPitt doesnt even have a football program anymore, they are good never, nobody wants to be there, and I know their inner city only fans base cant support that athletic program, it's all the Steelers.

I know what we're not ranked 65th in, owning their asses. They haven't been able to handle us in football since the cocaine driven years of the 70s and early 80s with alot of the losses being just wow, and basketball, well I think they beat us like a decade ago.

And their pathetic football is happening even while playing in the worst, biggest joke of an excuse for a football conference, and their basketball team, well, complete embarrassment

Pitt screwed themselves when they thought they had an advantage on Penn State.
Should have just let them in the Big East.

Now they are screwed no matter what.

WVU still has a chance because they are a flagship university.
Small state like WV should maximize any chance to capitalize off their brand in state.

All other reports indicate that WVU is near the top when it comes to matching expenses to income. Segregating football is a suspicious tactic. Other reports had WVU spending less than its income. I agree with those who call this bullshit. As for the Big 12 travel being a cause of WVU's problems, that also is bullshit. WVU gets $60 million as a Big 12 member compared to $11 million as a Big East member. That more than pays for the increased travel costs. Stop cherrypicking in a desperate attempt to make the WVU athletic department look bad!

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Quit being a whinny bitch sir. WVU is ranked 65th. Deal with it.

Unfortunately your recent health scare didnt knock any decency it into yourself. For a moment, I almost felt bad for you...but you were quick to remind us of what a lonely, pathetic piece of shit you really are...

You were smart not to come here and beg from prayers, you knew you wouldnt receive many.

Stay hydrated and don't wander into any traffic asshole....

Unfortunately your recent health scare didnt knock any decency it into yourself. For a moment, I almost felt bad for you...but you were quick to remind us of what a lonely, pathetic piece of shit you really are...

You were smart not to come here and beg from prayers, you knew you wouldnt receive many.

Stay hydrated and don't wander into any traffic asshole....

Dude why use a human tragedy on some stupid Rivals thread. What’s wrong with some of you. You’re just a nasty POS.

Is this the real number or a number posted. Budgets can be fidgeted to show one thing when it's actually something else.

This is hilarious. Big 12-2=10 will eventually suck the WVU athletic program dry. Costs versus return. Not good for the future. We will be perpetually stuck in the cannon fodder category. Or...double ticket prices and go to $100 per event pay for view...cut the bloated AD overhead and move forward. WVU is stuck in a conference, thanks to the moron Ollie Luck, that has no ties or emotional attachments to WVU. Who should be shocked?

Pitt screwed themselves when they thought they had an advantage on Penn State.
Should have just let them in the Big East.

Now they are screwed no matter what.

WVU still has a chance because they are a flagship university.
Small state like WV should maximize any chance to capitalize off their brand in state.

You’re literally posting about stuff you have no idea about. What would you like to know about that or any of the network stuff you think your Google clicks have educated on. Scum “Joe Knew” Paterno wanted to break the Big East up and poach the ACC for an Eastern Seaboard all sports conference or have a ND relationship with a new football playing Big East. The boys in Providence said GFY Joe. Pitt Admin has always been horrible for Pitt Athletics. But in fairness they took Pitt academically from a low level WVU status to a respected Top 75 status so history forgives there athletic admin fvckups. Unlike you and your Google education I have family, long life relationships that are trusties at Pitt, friends and clients wired in so anytime dipshits like you post crap I’m here for the guys that want a more responsible perspective.

Hey did you happen to catch my Lot Acct handle when I posted it in my humorous way? I know I humiliate you with facts but I need you to keep starring in your role as my one man puppet show. The other 3 puppets graduated. They don’t come around much but I still have you puppet boy.

Dude why use a human tragedy on some stupid Rivals thread. What’s wrong with some of you. You’re just a nasty POS.

What tragedy? You have the flu.

But you sure acted like a bitch....your tough guy act sure didnt exist at the zoo.

What tragedy? You have the flu.

But you sure acted like a bitch....

I want talking about me moron. You know.....there’s a virus thing going on that you so easily throw up in a goofball thread. What makes you think I have the flu? Where’d that come from geek?

I want talking about me moron. You know.....there’s a virus thing going on that you so easily throw up in a goofball thread. What makes you think I have the flu? Where’d that come from geek?

You posted it.

"Just found out an hour ago 10 of 318 tested at Zoo Monday we’re positive. I’m not one of those 10!!!

negative test result! Seasonal flu I’m fighting. Totally relieved. Thanks for posts and prayers."

LOL at @Darth_VadEER hangin out on Pitt website. The ultimate little brother. Unless of course you have family that went to Pitt, you are a fan of Pitt or you respect Pitt. If that’s the case hope alls well with you and your family. In you don’t like Pitt then LOL at another little brother.

You posted it.

"Just found out an hour ago 10 of 318 tested at Zoo Monday we’re positive. I’m not one of those 10!!!

negative test result! Seasonal flu I’m fighting. Totally relieved. Thanks for posts and prayers."

I know moron haha. Just want you to post it so we can have some fun and I can interview you as a future puppet in my show. So you’re on the Pitt site because you have ties to Pitt and like Pitt?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT