ADVERTISEMENT

52 recipes in 52 weeks part 2: #27 Steak Quesadillas

Mog

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Morgantown, WV
Original thread

I winged this recipe. I marinated hoagie meat with some seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a little cayenne) and come worcestershire sauce. Cooked it all on a flat-top cast iron with peppers, onions, and tortillas, then melted cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Very easy.

xKaV0pP.jpg

This post was edited on 5/26 11:29 PM by Mog

#28: Chicken tortilla soup

I thought this was great, though it's not for people who hate cilantro. It tasted better fresh since the taste of lime kind of got lost after reheating.

Recipe

LKlSmmz.jpg

#31: Pulled pork

First time attempting this at home. Another Pioneer Woman recipe... I dressed my sandwich Hank's Deli style. With swiss cheese, mustard, and some homemade pickle slices.

Recipe

JBlR2cH.jpg

aK1eSec.jpg

That's really cool mog. Keep up the good work. What Wustofs do you have? I have a Inox 10" chefs knife and absolutely love it...

I have this these steak knives. My current goal is to convince my girlfriend that if she just takes a little bit of time to practice using the chef's knife, her life will be much easier than if she continues using the steak knives for cutting most everything.

Lmao. I know EXACTLY what you mean. My wife graduated to Global and Lamsonsharp utility knives. She's done.

Too funny. My wife almost solely use a pairing knife to cut everything. I just shake my head.

Re: #31: Pulled pork

Looks good Mog, but I think I'll stick with the smoker for my butts.

I've used some of her recipes too, but the more I watch Ree Drummond the harder it becomes to keep from switching the channel.

Re: #28: Chicken tortilla soup

Tortilla soup (or Posole) is one of my all-time favorites. I would suggest augmenting that recipe by adding a teaspoon of cumin and around 4 chipotle chilis in adobo, minced, to the broth, along with some canned white hominy (rinsed), canned black beans and corn (all rinsed).

In mexico they will typically serve it with a whole bunch of garnishes, including avocado, cilantro, minced jalapenos, sliced radishes, limes (for juice), sour cream, cheese, etc., etc.

#33: Mozzarella and Sausage Stuffed Chicken

What's not to like here?

Recipe taken from Cooking Italian with the Cake Boss, which I'm too lazy to type out. Here's a video where he makes it, though the book recipe adds a tomato vinaigrette:

BEutNWV.jpg

#34: Split pea soup

My mistake making this was with the ham hocks. They weren't as meaty as the ones I've had in the past, and I didn't cook it long enough to really get everything broken down. So there were some uh... chewy bites to be had. But that aside, I like the stuff.

I basically used thebowl's recipe below, though I used chicken broth instead of water and only used about a pound of split peas.

cwW9LsO.jpg

#35: Parmesan-Roasted Broccoli

I liked this a lot, though I went overboard with the lemon juice. Goofed that up trying to cut the recipe down to size. I can't imagine making 4-5 pounds of the stuff. I almost didn't bother with the pine nuts, but I'm glad I did- the crunch was really nice.

Recipe

FZI4JjR.jpg

#36: Mushroom Risotto with Peas

I love pretty much any type of risotto. I couldn't find any dried porcinis for this recipe. I made a half batch.

Recipe

94pVytN.jpg

#38: Honey Glazed Carrots

Still in search of the perfect glazed carrot recipe. I liked this one a lot better than Alton Brown's recipe I tried a few months ago, but still not quite what I want. Brown sugar might be the key.

Recipe

1nSXPbJ.jpg

#39: Chicken Piccata

I thought this was great, but it's the type of recipe that won't be for everyone. It's certainly different. Better like a lot of lemon if you eat this.

Recipe

XIB8tIT.jpg

This post was edited on 5/26 11:49 PM by Mog

#40: Cream of Asparagus Soup

I've been cutting asparagus from my garden faster than I can eat it, so I've made two batches of this in the past few weeks. Simple and delicious. I liked leaving a few chunks of asparagus rather than blending all of it.

Recipe

HGuFRom.jpg

#41: Sweet and Sour Pork

Best thing I've made in this entire new recipe adventure. Had to find a use for my new wok, and this was perfect. The flour came off the pork in the wok, but it was still amazing. I actually used the recipe from the cookbook- the only real difference was it called for cooking the pork in a tablespoon of oil, not an inch.

Recipe

ff3XOee.jpg

4J85fDB.jpg

#42: Lemon Ricotta Cookies

These are kind of like a homemade version of the old Archway lemon frosted cookies. These are lighter and fluffier, though. They're addictive.

Recipe

WVbg2Sq.jpg

Re: #42: Lemon Ricotta Cookies

we made these for a baby shower we hosted. fantastic!

#43: Toasted Ravioli

This one is basically a nice way to jazz up store-bought ravioli. The result might not be too healthy, but it's definitely tasty.

Recipe

pSbdSa0.jpg

#44: Blueberry waffle

Had to try out my new waffle maker and used an Alton Brown recipe. The waffle maker I got makes them a little thinner and crispier than most belgian waffle makers, which is how I really like them.

Recipe

3pdjm3j.jpg

#45: Honey Garlic Chicken

Another excuse to use my wok! I added asparagus, red pepper, jalapeno, and onion to the recipe. It's tricky trying to get the balance of heat and sweet right. I made this three times, but I don't think I ever did get both perfect at the same time.

Recipe

TPV97AY.jpg

This post was edited on 6/10 11:45 PM by Mog

#46: Skillet Chili Mac

I figured I'd break in a new pan with a recipe from a new cookbook. This is like the classic comfort food, and it doesn't take too much time/effort to make. I added a little red chili flake to give it some heat.

Recipe

QvvQO63.jpg

#47: Pineapple Chicken Bake

Nice and easy way to use up some chicken. I liked the crunch the almonds gave. The heat was about right for me, but my girlfriend thought there was a little too much curry. I had to bake it for way longer than the recipe called for.

Recipe

CezXtdR.jpg

This post was edited on 6/22 12:45 AM by Mog

#48: Braised Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Shallots

This is undoubtedly the best way I've ever had brussels sprouts. Of course, add bacon to any vegetable and it's bound to be good. The vinegar gives it a nice tang. I also added some leftover sliced almonds the second time I made this for some crunch.

Recipe

jAiTjcq.jpg

#49: Slow Cooker Moroccan Spiced Chicken with Apricots

This took a good bit more work than the typical crockpot recipe. The chicken is incredibly moist/tender, and the spices are good but really unusual. I thought it could stand to have a little bit of heat added on.

Recipe

6IzNbDc.jpg

#50: Strawberry Pie

I had to find some way to use up all of the strawberries from my garden. This is a pretty simple pie. And very good!

Recipe

MPKf9Ms.jpg

#51: Ranch Dressing

This is my first attempt at making my own salad dressing. It was good (a touch thin), but not so much better than the bottled stuff to make it worth the extra effort in my opinion.

Recipe

4aF8sI8.jpg

#52: Pasta Carbonara

Fettuccine Carbonara is my favorite dish at Puglioni's, so I decided to take a shot at it myself. I never quite caught on to the distinctive taste of carbonara until I made my own version. I love the stuff- next time I'll add some peas and grate a little more cheese on the top.

Recipe

FVR3Qnf.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT