ADVERTISEMENT

Local Morgantown restaurants

Mog

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Morgantown, WV
Here's a list of local (i.e. non-chain) restaurants in Morgantown and my quick thoughts on them. Everyone has different preferences, so I'm sure some people will hate places I love and vice-versa. Note that some restaurants are grouped in multiple categories.

American (Sitdown restaurants serving typical American fare)
Apple Annie's - A long time staple in Point Marion, they recently moved down to Pierpont Landing. Pretty cheap for a sitdown place, they have a lot of classic comfort food.
Bacon Bourbon and Beer - Located at the Suncrest Towne Centre at the old Martin's BBQ location. This is their second restaurant with the original up in Washington. The name pretty much says it all. They have a bacon flight appetizer, a nice selection of 20 beers on tap, and about a hundred different bourbon to choose from. They have a great sandwich and burger menu as well. I'd recommend checking this place out.
Bartini Prime - Classic steakhouse menu (all prime steaks), that also has a sushi menu. For a nice touch, all the steaks are named after WVU coaches and admin. Outdoor seating is nice when the weather is good.
Boston Beanery - The Beanery is a Morgantown staple, though it's gone through changes in ownership recently. The old High St. location is gone, leaving the location on Patteson Drive. It's a solid soup and sandwich type of place. I like eating here before basketball games at times. The French Dip has always been my go-to choice here.
Bourbon Prime - Steakhouse at the Marriott at the Waterfront. Despite the name, not all of their steaks are actually prime cut. They have a pepperoni roll appetizer served in a cast iron skillet that is pretty awesome.
Dockside Grille - Out at Cheat Lake, the owners rebranded this from the Crab Shack. Pretty standard American fare- the food is good, but not spectacular in my opinion. The atmosphere is great, though. You're out on the lake, and they often have live music on the weekends.
Grandma's Country Kitchen - Small diner in Westover. It's apparently been around for a long time, but I've never tried it.
Grazers Chop House - Located at Mid-Atlantic Plaza near Planet Fitness. A little on the fancier side, I like this place a lot so far. The first thing I tried was the pork chop entree, and oddly enough it was the dauphinoise potatoes that I remember the most- they're stupid good. Also had a solid french dip here for lunch on a Friday. Still haven't tried a steak here, though.
Iron Horse Tavern - A gastropub type of place on High Street that features a great rotating selection of beers on tap from breweries around the state. Their menu is mostly sandwiches/salads/soups, but they also do pierogis and a few dinner entrees.
The Lakehouse - They have a pretty big crowd-pleasing menu. Nothing really exceptionally good or bad. The best part about this place is eating outside on the deck next to the lake.
Marilyn's - One of my favorite new restaurants in Morgantown, at the old Yesterday's location near the airport. This is their second restaurant, with the original up in Uniontown. They have a pretty huge menu that leans Italian. Gnocchi is one of their house specialties (I like the braised beef gnocchi in particular). Be sure to try the Dippin' Plate for an appetizer. Nice beer and cocktail list here as well.
Madeleine Marie's Catering & Carryout - Located in South Park, run by the same people that used to have Madeline's on High St. There are a few tables in the restaurant itself, but it's mostly a carryout place. The food is great, but this place is kind of a pain to get to, and the parking is on-street.
Morgantown Brewing Company - Brewpub with a variety of burgers and sandwiches on the menu.
Morgantown Flour and Feed - Down on the Wharf District with outdoor seating on the back deck. I've tried it a time or two and thought it was good but not mind blowing. My wife really loved the pasta dish she had there, though.
Ruby & Ketchy's - Diner in the Cheat Lake area. It's been around for ages, though to be honest I'm not the biggest fan of their food.
Table 9 - This is a neat little gastropub hidden back on the Mon River on the Waterfront, and it's been growing on me lately. They have a nice atmosphere, and it's great when you can sit outside. They switch up the menu regularly, and the food is consistently good. They do a burger and beer night special on Tuesdays that is good.
The Tea Shoppe at Seneca Center - My wife loves this place. You'd go here for afternoon tea and a sandwich, though not a big meal. They have some nice little desserts.
Tropics - Located in Cheat Lake, they have a Hawaiian themed menu. I've just been here once on a Wednesday and was a little weirded out since it seemed like I was there for dinner and everyone else was just there to drink at the time. It's a good alternative to the Lakehouse if you're in the area.
Whitetail Crossing - On Grafton Rd at the old Big Kahuna's location. Never tried it.
The Winchester - New steakhouse at the Holiday Inn on Pineview Dr. They have a really good bourbon selection here. I tried some fish tacos during happy hour here once, and they were great, but I've yet to actually try the steak.
The Wine Bar at Vintner Valley - Located in Suncrest on Burroughs St. They have a smallish menu with sandwiches, salads, charcuterie, and pizza to go with a few larger entrees.

American - Casual (Mostly order at the counter restaurants with some diners mixed in)
Almost Heaven Desserts & Coffee Shop - They've had a store in Bridgeport for several years and recently opened up a new place in Cheat Lake. They have some simple sandwiches and salads to go with their coffee/sweets menu.
AntiquiTea House - On University Ave near the law school. Haven't tried it.
Black Bear Burritos - Morgantown staple. They recently closed their downtown location, so now they're just located in Suncrest. It has a bit of a hippy vibe and often has live music. Don't be fooled by the name- you' won't be getting Mexican food here. They serve wraps, and they're awesome. Sgt Peppers with steak and the Rail Trail quesadilla are my favorites. Great beer selection as well. Good option for vegetarians.
Big Red's Shanty - Hamburger and hotdog place at the new Pierpont plaza by Planet Fitness. The burgers are a similar style to Five Guys. I like the place, but not having fresh-cut fries is a downer for me.
Burgers & Bites - New place on Walnut St. Haven't tried it.
Cheese Louise - Grilled cheese sandwiches and soup. Located on Willey Street, though they also have a food truck.
Classics - On Greenbag Rd in Sabraton. Never tried it.
Dirty Bird - They do fried chicken and chicken sandwiches, and they do it well. The Vera Cruz is the best chicken sandwich I've ever had, and the Blue Ribbon is great as well. Their hours are limited, though, usually only open until 430 Mon-Sat. If Guy Fieri visited Morgantown for Diners Drive-ins and Dives, this would probably be the place he'd stop.
The Grind - Small cafe attached to the Book Exchange downtown.
High Street Canteen - Old Greasy Nick's. Cheap lunch place for students.
Hillside Cafe and Taproom - In a plaza on Coombs Farm Drive. Haven't tried it.
Jersey's Subs - Standard sub shop on the Mileground, known for their cheesesteaks.
Mid-Atlantic Market - Not really a restaurant, but they have a nice deli counter with takeout sandwiches. I haven't tried it.
Terra Cafe - They're big on the whole farm to table thing. They have some really good sandwiches with the Roast Beef Chimichurri and Thai Peanut Wrap being my favorites. If you can walk by their dessert case and not end up buying something, you are an incredibly strong-willed person. They're amazing.
Tudor's Biscuit World - This is a chain, but it's local to WV, so I included it anyhow. I've never tried their lunch/dinner menu.
Village Butcher and Market - Another new place on University Ave. near Crockett's. Looks to be a nice butcher and sandwich shop. I've got some sausages from the butcher, but I haven't tried the sandwiches yet.
Walzzy's Hotdogs - Hotdog joint in Cheat Lake. In addition to the standard stuff, they have about a dozen specialty hotdogs, as well as some sandwiches and salads.

Asian
Asian Bistro - Located on Northpoint Plaza at the end of the Mileground. They serve a variety of cuisines. I'm always impressed by the effort they put into presentation. The bulgogi is amazing, and I love their orange chicken as well.
Chaang Thai - Asian place located on High St, it used to be a traditional sit-down restaurant, but apparently they recently changed it to an order at the counter type of place. Good food if you're downtown, but I like Ta Khrai better.
China City - In Sabraton. Never tried it.
Green Tea Asian Fusion - New place at the old Nonna's Bakery location, across the road from the Wine Bar at Vintner Valley. Never tried it.
Lavender Cafe - Down on Beechurst. Never tried it. A friend of mine that works downtown loves to order from here for lunch.
Dragon Cafe - Chinese takeout in Cheat Lake.
Oryza Asian Grill - Casual spot in the little plaza across from the Suncrest Towne Centre. They also opened a new location at the University Town Center near WalMart. This is basically an Asian-style Chipotle. I'm a fan- good lunch spot.
Peking House - Chinese place on Van Voorhis that's been around for ages. Nothing really special about it. Probably a good lunch spot if you're in the area and in the mood for Chinese.
Pho Hung - A pho place (obviously) in Westover. I haven't tried it, though I've heard from one person who preferred it to Saigon Pho.
Saigon Pho Kitchen - The pho is great, though I was less impressed by the banh mi. This is owned by the same people as Chaang Thai. You order at a kiosk, and they bring the food to your table. This is on University Ave. near the old Hibachi.
Ta-Khrai Thai Cafe - Probably my favorite Asian place in Morgantown these days. It's located on University Ave. above Zenclay. The food and presentation are great. You may or may not have a bit of a language barrier with the servers. One downside to this place is the speed of service- it can be slow at times.

Bakeries
Apple Annie's - Located in Pierpont Plaza. Their bakery counter is off to the side of the dining room. They have loads of pies, cookies, cakes, and other pastries as well as bread.
Rising Creek Bakery - Up the road in Mt Morris. Salt rising bread is their specialty. They also have the usual assortment of pastries, cookies, donuts, pies, etc.
Phoenix Bakery - Located on Kingwood St. in South Park. Their biscotti is amazing. Several styles of fresh bread, cookies, scones, etc. as well.
Sugar Bar Sweets + Coffee - New place at the Suncrest Towne Centre. They have a lot of gorgeous looking cakes, though I've yet to try one.
Terra Cafe - They make the best cakes in town in my opinion. Huge variety of flavors, and they're always beautifully decorated.
Venerable Bean Bakery - Vegan bakery inside Mountain People's Coop on Pleasant St.

Barbeque
The Backyard BBQ - Casual place on Cheat Rd. that does mostly takeout with some outdoor seating. They do BBQ sandwiches, burgers, dogs, etc. My wife and I got takeout here for lunch once- a pulled chicken sandwich, and a pulled pork sandwich, and they had so much sauce that we honestly weren't sure which was which. But they did taste pretty good.
Big Cock Jerk Pit - Takeout-only place on Stewartstown Rd. Haven't tried it.
J&D Bar-B-Q - On Dents Run Rd in Granville. Never tried it.
Sweet Southern Smoke - They recently took over the old Woodburn Shanks location in Sabraton. Pretty much a takeout place with a few picnic tables. Haven't tried it yet.
Woodburn Shanks - Previoiusly in Sabraton and at the old mall, they're about to reopen at the old Schmitt's Saloon / Smokin' Jacks location just off the Pierpont exit of I68.

Bars
Anvil + Ax - Located at Hotel Morgan on High St. Haven't tried it.
Apothecary Ale House & Cafe - On Chestnut St., they have a huge draft and bottled beer selection. I believe the food menu is fairly small, though. Never tried it.
Baby Squirrels Saloon - On High St., haven't tried it.
The Bank - Restaurant located in the former Wesbanco location on High St. It's been a few years since I've tried the place, and it looks like they've revamped it to a typical bar menu.
Crockett's - Gotta love a place that has goal posts from the 84 Penn State game above the bar. They have great wings.
Draft - A new sports bar at Pierpont Landing. I've really liked the food here so far, and it's more upscale than typical sports bar fare. The buffalo chicken sandwich is really good in particular. Service has been on the slow side, though.
Fat Daddy's - On Chestnut St. Never tried it.
Frosted Mug - On Greenbag Rd. Never tried it.
Gene's Beer Garden - Hole in the wall type of place in South Park. Known for their chili dogs, but I've only been in here for a beer.
Gibbie's Pub - Gibbie's is the longest-lasting bar on High St I can think of. They serve pretty standard bar fare.
Kegler's - The best pure sports bar in Morgantown. They're known for the wings, regularly winning the people's choice award in the local annual wing cookoff. The hot honey bbq sauce is my favorite. The New York strip hot melt is one of my favorite sandwiches in town.
Legends Sports Bar & Grille - The clubhouse restaurant at Lakeview.
Mario's Fishbowl - The Fishbowl on Richwood Ave is the place your parents went to in college and want to stop by and revisit whenever they come back in town. Total dive bar with a great atmosphere. Pretty typical bar food. They have two other locations in Suncrest and Westover.
McClafferty's - Irish Bar downtown. Never eaten here.
Mason Jar - Out in Granville. Never tried it.
Mountain Mama's - In Chelsea Square back behind Pug's. Never tried it.
Mountaineer Tap House - New place near the alumni center with a ton of brews on tap. Never tried it.
Mundy's Place - Small neighborhood bar in First Ward. Never tried it.
Novichenk's - On Cheat Rd. Never tried it.
Sabraton Station - At the old Archie's location. Never tried it.
Sports Page - Sports bar on High St that's been around for ages. I've never tried their food.
Town Hill Tavern - Known for their chili dogs. Never tried it.
Varsity Club - Right across the street from the stadium, they have a really good menu.
Whippoorwill Bar and Grill - At Edgewater Marina on Cheat Lake, only open during boating season.
Wooden Nickel (Suncrest Pub) - At the intersection of Collins Ferry and Burroughs St, known for their burgers.

Breakfast
Apple Annie's - At Pierpont Landing. Pretty typical diner style breakfast.
Bourbon Prime - Located at the Marriott at the Waterfront. They have a pretty nice variety.
El Pollon - A Peruvian charcoal rotisserie chicken restaurant on Van Voorhis. I believe they serve breakfast all day, though I've never tried it.
Get Fit Morgantown - Smoothie/juice place in Mid-Atlantic Plaza near Plant Fitness and at the Suncrest Towne Centre. They also have breakfast grain and oatmeal bowls.
Grandma's Country Kitchen - Small diner in Westover. It's apparently been around for a long time, but I've never tried it.
Rising Creek Bakery - Small joint up the road in Mt Morris. They have the typical bakery options, coffee bar, and breakfast menu. Had a great omelet here the one time I tried it.
Ruby & Ketchy's - Diner in the Cheat Lake area. Not the biggest fan.
Terra Cafe - They have a bit of a unique breakfast menu. I really like the Santa Fe Egg Wrap.
Tudor's Biscuit World - Local chain to WV. If you're looking for a heart attack on a biscuit, this is your place.
The Winchester - New steakhouse at the Holiday Inn on Pineview Dr. I haven't tried their breakfast.
Zeke's Breakfast & Bakes - Coffee and breakfast spot downtown on High St. Haven't tried it.

Coffee, Tea, Juice (Places you would go to just for a drink)
Almost Heaven Desserts & Coffee Shop - They've had a store in Bridgeport for several years and recently opened up a new place in Cheat Lake. I stop here for coffee or a latte once or twice per week. They have plenty of bagels, muffins, and other breakfast pastries to choose from.
Annie's Coffee and Creamery - Located at Mid-Atlantic Plaza. I really wanted to like this place, but I think I've given up. They charged to add cream to coffee several times, I got a large latte that I assume only had one shot of espresso in it, and they gave me the wrong drink in the drive-thru another time. This all happened in the first month or two of opening, so hopefully they've gotten things straightened out since then.
Blue Moose Cafe - Hippy hangout that's been around on Spruce St for ages.
Bubble Fish - Bubble Tea and Asian bowl restaurant on High St. Haven't tried it.
Get Fit Morgantown - Smoothie/juice place in Mid-Atlantic Plaza near Plant Fitness and at the Suncrest Towne Centre.
Mountaineer Roasting Co - Coffee shop on Maple Drive. As the name implies, they roast their own coffee.
Quantum Bean Coffee - New coffee shop in South Park. Never tried it.
River Burch Cafe - Located at the Waterfront across from Table 9. I think this is mostly for people that work in the area.
Slight Indulgence - Neat little market on Collins Ferry that has a wide selection of wine, coffee, chocolates, cigars, and other specialty food items.
Sugar Bar Sweets + Coffee - New place at the Suncrest Towne Centre. Standard coffee and espresso menu to go with all the sweets.
Terra Cafe - I'm not much of a coffee aficionado, but they made the best cappuccino I've ever had.
The Tea Shoppe at Seneca Center - If you want a pot of afternoon tea, this is your place. They literally have hundreds of varieties to choose from.
Zeke's Breakfast & Bakes - Coffee and breakfast spot downtown on High St. Haven't tried it.

Indian
Bombay Indian Grill - On University Ave near campus. Never tried it.
Fresh Mint - On High St next to the post office. Haven't tried it.
Masala House Indian Bistro - on the Mileground near the airport. Haven't tried it.

Italian
Colasante's - Burned down back a while back, but they finally reopened. Colasante's has been around Westover for ages. More of a casual place, I put it well behind Oliverio's and Pug's in terms of food. Get a pizza or sandwich if you try it. My one experience with pasta since they reopened was pretty bad.
Nonno Carlo Italian Deli & Market - New casual Italian joint at the Suncrest Towne Centre that serves deli sandwiches and Neapolitan pizza. They make their mozzarella and ricotta in-house as well. I'm a big fan of this place so far- the porchetta sandwich in particular is worth a shot.
Oliverio's - My #2 Italian place in town, but great as well. I know it's a lot of people's fav. Really nice atmosphere down on the Waterfront with outdoor seating. They have more of a classical American-Italian menu. Try the angel hair crab ball appetizer. Good dessert selection as well.
Pugs Homemade Italian - Pug's has always been one of my favorites in Morgantown. They switched ownership a few years back, and it started going down hill, then eventually closed. Fortunately another group of owners opened it back up in 2020, and they made Pug.s great again. The first thing that you have to mention when it comes to Pug's is the bread. They give you your own loaf with dinner, drizzled with butter and oil. It's amazing- the best restaurant bread anywhere. My favorite entrees are the fettuccine carbonara (not a classic carbonara, mind you) and the chicken puttanesca (you'd better like garlic if you order that). They also serve pizza and calzones, though I haven't tried them much. It's a small restaurant and they don't take reservations, so be prepared to wait a bit if you show up during dinner rush on Friday or Saturday.

Japanese / Sushi
Bubble Fish - Bubble Tea and Asian bowl restaurant on High St. Haven't tried it.
Fusion Japanese Steakhouse - Classic Japanese steakhouse at the University Town Center. I give this place the nod over Fujiyama .
Fujiyama - Another Japanese steakhouse, this one located at the Glenmark Center- pretty standard fare for how these go.
Ogawa - If you're in Morgantown and want sushi, this is the place to go. Not sure what else to say about the place.
Super Red Bowl - A sushi/Asian bowl place that opened up at the old Don Patron location at Pierpont Landing. Haven't tried it yet.
Volcano - Another sushi place that opened several years ago. I haven't tried it.
Yama - A little hole in the wall restaurant Fayette St. It's been around for ages, but somehow I've never been here. I know it has a devoted following.

Mediterranean
Ali Baba - Ali Baba has been around Morgantown in multiple locations for ages. They're in the Morgantown airport now. I really enjoyed the kebab the one time I went there in the current place. I just never think to go back, probably because of the awkward location.
Istanbul - Turkish restaurant near the intersection of Patteson Dr and University Ave. Never tried it.
Salam - Located on High St. Never tried it.

Mexican
La Tapatia Market and Tacos - On Greenbag Rd. Never tried it.
Los Mariachi's - I don't think there are any great Mexican restaurants in Morgantown, but this is the best of the bunch. Their flagship location on Van Voorhis is a Morgantown staple. This place seems packed just about any time you're there since it's popular both with students and people working at the hospitals, Mylan, etc. Pretty standard Mexican fare at good prices. They recently opened two new locations at the University Town Centre near the baseball stadium and the Glenmark Center. Same stuff as the original.
Mariachi Loco - If you're shopping at WalMart and are in the mood for generic Mexican, this is your place.
Rio Jalisco - Same story at the University Town Center.
Rio Verde - Used to be Rio Grande, now it's Rio Verde. I know a lot of people prefer it over Los Mariachi's. I've only been here a time or two, but it doesn't seem like there's much difference between the two to me.
Wings Ole - Located in Suburban Plaza near Kegler's and by the Westover Bridge downtown. It's been around for ever. I really don't like the place. It's just bad Tex-Mex to me. My wife loves it. They certainly have their following.

Microbreweries
Chestnut Brew Works - Not really a place you'd go for a full meal. Just a place where you can get some snacks while hanging out and having a few local beers. I'm a fan of their South Park Porter.
Morgantown Brewing Company - They brew their beer on site and have a standard menu with burgers and sandwiches. The Zach Morgan IPA is my fav from their selections.
Mountain State Brewing Company - They brew their beer down in Thomas, but they have all of the selections on tap here. One of my favorite pizza places in town. Try the Miner's Daughter Oatmeal Stout.

Peruvian
El Pollon - A Peruvian charcoal rotisserie chicken restaurant on Van Voorhis. This is their second restaurant, with the original in the eastern panhandle in Ranson, WV. This is a casual order at the counter place that I assume does quite a bit of takeout. The chicken itself is great, and they've got a lot of options for sides. Given the location, it'd be a great place to stock up with a few chickens and sides at a tailgate.

Pizza
Casa D' Amici - A High St staple, and they recently opened a new location at the Mid Atlantic Market. They do a lot of business with the late night college crowd. It's been ages since I've tried it.
Cottrell's Country Store - Old country store that also has a bar and serves pizza and sandwiches. On Point Marion Rd.
Fat Angelo's - Pizza place with locations in Cheat Lake and Westover.
Home Grown Pizza - Solid pizza joint on Earl Core Rd out toward Dellslow.
Lefty's Place - Detroit style pizza located on Burroughs St. in Suncrest. They used to be downtown, but some building issues (i.e. tenant upstairs flooded the restaurant) forced them to relocate. I'd never heard of Detroit style pizza before coming here, but it's basically a rectangular pan-style pizza with the sauce served on top. This is my favorite pizza in Morgantown. Their calzones are also great- the buffalo chicken is one of the best things on any menu in town. They also have a Tavern-style pizza which is better for feeding a crowd, but their Detroit style is my favorite.
Lotsa Stone Fired Pizza - A design your own pizza place on High St, similar to the Blaze Pizza chain. Quick, cheap, and good.
Milano's Pizza - Located on Greenbag Rd. Similar in style to Pizza Al's.
Mountain State Brewing Company - Really nice atmosphere with outdoor seating on the Waterfront. Their pizza has a thin-ish crust. Can't go wrong with the Fire on the Mountain pizza. They usually have a couple other local beers in addition to their own on tap.
Nonno Carlo Italian Deli & Market - New casual Italian joint at the Suncrest Towne Centre that serves deli sandwiches and Neapolitan pizza. It's not my preferred style of pizza, but they execute it very well.
Papa Allen's Pizza - At the University Place apartments near campus. Never tried it.
PeppeBroni's - In a plaza on 705 near Sheetz. Never tried it.
Phoenix Bakery - Probably not the first pizza place that comes to mind, but worth a try if you want takeout. I had a fig/prosciutto pizza from here once that was great.
Pies & Pints - I give them the nod on food over Mountain State because their non-pizza menu is much better. The pulled pork nachos are amazing. The Chicken Gouda is my favorite pizza. They have a nice selection of beer as well.
Pizza Al's - Locations on University Avenue, Sabraton, and at the University Town Center. Classic NY style thin crust pizza. Lots of people people swear by Al's as the best in town.
The Pizza Place - An old Parkersburg staple that recently opened up a new location in Morgantown at the Northpointe Plaza. They have traditional Neapolitan as well as Sicilian pizza. The latter is absolutely huge, expensive, and delicious.

Seafood
Crab Shack Carriba - Formerly Called Coach's Crab Shack, it's located at the Suncrest Towne Centre now. If you go here, you'll want to get a steamer. That's what they do best, and they are awesome. I think their entrees aside from steamers are mostly average, though.

Sunday Brunch
Crab Shack Carriba - Shouldn't be too surprising that they have a crab cake eggs benedict on the menu.
Dockside Grille - Out at Cheat Lake, not a big brunch place. I had a pulled pork hash here that was excellent. Cheap mimosas and bloody marys.
Draft - A new sports bar at Pierpont Landing. I've yet to try their brunch, but the menu looks nice.
Iron Horse Tavern - Fried donut holes coated in cinnamon and sugar with a vanilla Kahlua dipping sauce? Yes please. Make a reservation if you're planning on eating brunch here.
Morgantown Flour and Feed - It's been a while since I've tried this place for brunch. I liked the crab cake eggs benedict back in the day, but it looks like it's not on their menu any more.
Sargasso - They have a fancier brunch menu, though it's not super expensive like their dinner. They switch things up a good bit. Their eggs benedict is very rich and has creamed spinach on it- I'm a fan. The hangar steak and eggs is top notch as well. It may be a silly thing to mention, but their coffee is great compared to most other brunch places.
Table 9 - They serve brunch on Saturday and Sunday. I think I've tried about everything on the brunch menu at some point, though I just about always order the devils on horseback as an appetizer. My wife likes their sous vide eggs benedict. They have chicken and waffles as well. Reservation recommended for Sunday brunch.
Terra Cafe - They do table service for brunch instead of their typical ordering at the counter. Eggs benedict, crepes, quiche, pancakes- their menu is more on the breakfast side of things than the lunch side.
Tropics - Only tried their brunch once- pretty typical brunch menu with a few Hawaiian twists. Outdoor seating is nice when the weather is good.
Whippoorwill Bar and Grill - At Edgewater Marina on Cheat Lake, only open during boating season.
The Wine Bar at Vintner Valley - Located in Suncrest on Burroughs St. They started serving brunch earlier this summer. I had the eggs benedict and enjoyed it.

Sweets (Places you might go to just for a quick dessert)
Almost Heaven Desserts & Coffee Shop - They've had a store in Bridgeport for several years and recently opened up a new place in Cheat Lake. Cheesecakes are their specialty- they've got a wide variety, and they all look amazing. They also have a selection of pies, cookies, cannoli, and other sweets.
Annie's Coffee and Creamery - Located at Mid-Atlantic Plaza. They have hand dipped ice cream cones, sundaes, banana splits, and the like. Also pastries from Apple Annie's. I haven't tried their ice cream, though.
The Cupcakerie - Downtown and in the the mood for a fancy cupcake? This is your place.
Peace, Love, and Little Donuts - At the Suncrest Towne Centre, a smallish chain originating out of Pittsburgh. They have tasty little donuts topped with about every type of sweet thing imaginable.
Sugar Bar Sweets + Coffee - New place at the Suncrest Towne Centre. They have a ton of different cakes, cupcakes, pies, macarons, canoli, etc. Cheesecake waffle cones are also one of their specialties. If you stop in here, you'll see something you want.
Terra Cafe - Their dessert case is just ridiculous. Tons of cupcakes, and mini-pies, tarts, etc.

Upscale (Not necessarily fine dining, but at least these are the types of places you'd go to for a fancy meal or to impress someone)
Sargasso - One of the fanciest places in town, located on Don Knotts Blvd. They change up their menu monthly (usually some unique options) and put out consistently good food. The desserts are usually really good as well.
Stefano's - Located below Suburban Lanes, they probably have the most "froufrou" menu out there. The food is great but expensive. The atmosphere is a little on the stuffy side for my taste.
Tin 202 - Fairly new place on High St., this place has been growing on me lately. They have a fancy cocktail menu and a lot of tapas, though the actual entree menu is pretty small. If you go here, you have to get the charcuterie platter. Be sure to try the tiramisu for dessert as well- it's stupid good.

Last edited:
I was back in Morgantown for the first time in a long while last weekend. Ate at the Iron Horse Tavern. Didn't see it listed. Good food and a decent select of local craft beers.

Thanks Mog. Went to yesterdays and had one of the best pork sandwiches I've had...and the sweet potatoe wedges were great!

Reactions: Mog
rip in peace:
@soda 9 November 2016
@Mog 11 May 2017

I'm bored and you should update this.

Great job organizing that restaurant list. Thanks Mog!

BTW, I've been to Chico's in Morgantown and the food is very good. I live in southern California, so I'm kind of an expert on Mexican food and I give them a [thumb2].

Last edited:
Great job organizing that restaurant list. Thanks Mog!

BTW, I've been to Chico's in Morgantown and the food is very good. I live in southern California, so I'm kind of an expert on Mexican food and I give them a [thumb2].
Ah thanks. I really need to update the list sometime. It's pretty amazing how many different places can close/open in only a year or two.

Ah thanks. I really need to update the list sometime. It's pretty amazing how many different places can close/open in only a year or two.
wheres the gotdamn update

yesterdays been closed for like 2 years now get over it

Reactions: Vernon
Black Bear Burritos - Morgantown staple with locations downtown and in Suncrest. It has a bit of a hippy vibe, and both locations have live music. Don't be fooled by the name- you' won't be getting Mexican food here. They serve wraps, and they're awesome. Sgt Peppers with steak and the Rail Trail quesadilla are my favorites. Great beer selection as well. Good option for vegetarians.
Black Bear is listed as the "taco joint" everyone is talking about in WV - https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/taco-joint-everyone-talking-state-201401595.html

I'm just going to assume there were slim pickings to choose from. I don't think they even have any tacos on the regular menu, though I did have some there as a special a couple weeks ago.
Honestly every time I see those lists on Yahoo they're awful. You know it's bad when even the locals don't agree with their choices and generally you would expect them to be the most supportive.

Here's a list of local (i.e. non-chain) restaurants in Morgantown and my quick thoughts on them. Everyone has different preferences, so I'm sure some people will hate places I love and vice-versa. Note that some restaurants are grouped in multiple categories.

American (Sitdown restaurants serving typical American fare)
Apple Annie's - A long time staple in Point Marion, they recently moved down to Pierpont Landing. Pretty cheap for a sitdown place, they have a lot of classic comfort food.
Bacon Bourbon and Beer - Located at the Suncrest Towne Centre at the old Martin's BBQ location. This is their second restaurant with the original up in Washington. The name pretty much says it all. They have a bacon flight appetizer, a nice selection of 20 beers on tap, and about a hundred different bourbon to choose from. They have a great sandwich and burger menu as well. I'd recommend checking this place out.
Bartini Prime - Classic steakhouse menu (all prime steaks), that also has a sushi menu. For a nice touch, all the steaks are named after WVU coaches and admin. Outdoor seating is nice when the weather is good.
Boston Beanery - The Beanery is a Morgantown staple, though it's gone through changes in ownership recently. The old High St. location is gone, leaving the location on Patteson Drive. It's a solid soup and sandwich type of place. I like eating here before basketball games at times. The French Dip has always been my go-to choice here.
Bourbon Prime - Steakhouse at the Marriott at the Waterfront. Despite the name, not all of their steaks are actually prime cut. They have a pepperoni roll appetizer served in a cast iron skillet that is pretty awesome.
Dockside Grille - Out at Cheat Lake, the owners rebranded this from the Crab Shack. Pretty standard American fare- the food is good, but not spectacular in my opinion. The atmosphere is great, though. You're out on the lake, and they often have live music on the weekends.
Grazers Chop House - Located at Mid-Atlantic Plaza near Planet Fitness. A little on the fancier side, I like this place a lot so far. The first thing I tried was the pork chop entree, and oddly enough it was the dauphinoise potatoes that I remember the most- they're stupid good. Also had a solid french dip here for lunch on a Friday. Still haven't tried a steak here, though.
Iron Horse Tavern - A gastropub type of place on High Street that features a great rotating selection of beers on tap from breweries around the state. Their menu is mostly sandwiches/salads/soups, but they also do pierogis and a few dinner entrees.
The Lakehouse - They have a pretty big crowd-pleasing menu. Nothing really exceptionally good or bad. The best part about this place is eating outside on the deck next to the lake.
Marilyn's - One of my favorite new restaurants in Morgantown, at the old Yesterday's location near the airport. This is their second restaurant, with the original up in Uniontown. They have a pretty huge menu that leans Italian. Gnocchi is one of their house specialties (I like the braised beef gnocchi in particular). Be sure to try the Dippin' Plate for an appetizer. Nice beer and cocktail list here as well.
Madeleine Marie's Catering & Carryout - Located in South Park, run by the same people that used to have Madeline's on High St. There are a few tables in the restaurant itself, but it's mostly a carryout place. The food is great, but this place is kind of a pain to get to, and the parking is on-street.
Morgantown Brewing Company - Brewpub with a variety of burgers and sandwiches on the menu.
Morgantown Flour and Feed - Down on the Wharf District with outdoor seating on the back deck. I've tried it a time or two and thought it was good but not mind blowing. My wife really loved the pasta dish she had there, though.
Ruby & Ketchy's - Diner in the Cheat Lake area. It's been around for ages, though to be honest I'm not the biggest fan of their food.
Table 9 - This is a neat little gastropub hidden back on the Mon River on the Waterfront, and it's been growing on me lately. They have a nice atmosphere, and it's great when you can sit outside. They switch up the menu regularly, and the food is consistently good. They do a burger and beer night special on Tuesdays that is good.
The Tea Shoppe at Seneca Center - My wife loves this place. You'd go here for afternoon tea and a sandwich, though not a big meal. They have some nice little desserts.
Tropics - Located in Cheat Lake, they have a Hawaiian themed menu. I've just been here once on a Wednesday and was a little weirded out since it seemed like I was there for dinner and everyone else was just there to drink at the time. It's a good alternative to the Lakehouse if you're in the area.
Whitetail Crossing - On Grafton Rd at the old Big Kahuna's location. Never tried it.
The Winchester - New steakhouse at the Holiday Inn on Pineview Dr. They have a really good bourbon selection here. I tried some fish tacos during happy hour here once, and they were great, but I've yet to actually try the steak.
The Wine Bar at Vintner Valley - Located in Suncrest on Burroughs St. They have a smallish menu with sandwiches, salads, charcuterie, and pizza to go with a few larger entrees.

American - Casual (Mostly order at the counter restaurants with some diners mixed in)
Almost Heaven Desserts & Coffee Shop - They've had a store in Bridgeport for several years and recently opened up a new place in Cheat Lake. They have some simple sandwiches and salads to go with their coffee/sweets menu.
Black Bear Burritos - Morgantown staple. They recently closed their downtown location, so now they're just located in Suncrest. It has a bit of a hippy vibe and often has live music. Don't be fooled by the name- you' won't be getting Mexican food here. They serve wraps, and they're awesome. Sgt Peppers with steak and the Rail Trail quesadilla are my favorites. Great beer selection as well. Good option for vegetarians.
Big Red's Shanty - Hamburger and hotdog place at the new Pierpont plaza by Planet Fitness. The burgers are a similar style to Five Guys. I like the place, but not having fresh-cut fries is a downer for me.
Burgers & Bites - New place on Walnut St. Haven't tried it.
Cheese Louise - Grilled cheese sandwiches and soup. Located on Willey Street, though they also have a food truck.
Classics - On Greenbag Rd in Sabraton. Never tried it.
Dirty Bird - They do fried chicken and chicken sandwiches, and they do it well. The Vera Cruz is the best chicken sandwich I've ever had, and the Blue Ribbon is great as well. Their hours are limited, though, usually only open until 430 Mon-Sat. If Guy Fieri visited Morgantown for Diners Drive-ins and Dives, this would probably be the place he'd stop.
High Street Canteen - Old Greasy Nick's. Cheap lunch place for students.
Jersey's Subs - Standard sub shop on the Mileground, known for their cheesesteaks.
Mid-Atlantic Market - Not really a restaurant, but they have a nice deli counter with takeout sandwiches. I haven't tried it.
Terra Cafe - They're big on the whole farm to table thing. They have some really good sandwiches with the Roast Beef Chimichurri and Thai Peanut Wrap being my favorites. If you can walk by their dessert case and not end up buying something, you are an incredibly strong-willed person. They're amazing.
Tudor's Biscuit World - This is a chain, but it's local to WV, so I included it anyhow. I've never tried their lunch/dinner menu.
Village Butcher and Market - Another new place on University Ave. near Crockett's. Looks to be a nice butcher and sandwich shop. I've got some sausages from the butcher, but I haven't tried the sandwiches yet.
Walzzy's Hotdogs - Hotdog joint in Cheat Lake. In addition to the standard stuff, they have about a dozen specialty hotdogs, as well as some sandwiches and salads.

Asian
Asian Bistro - Located on Northpoint Plaza at the end of the Mileground. They serve a variety of cuisines. I'm always impressed by the effort they put into presentation. The bulgogi is amazing, and I love their orange chicken as well.
Chaang Thai - Asian place located on High St, it used to be a traditional sit-down restaurant, but apparently they recently changed it to an order at the counter type of place. Good food if you're downtown, but I like Ta Khrai better.
China City - In Sabraton. Never tried it.
Green Tea Asian Fusion - New place at the old Nonna's Bakery location, across the road from the Wine Bar at Vintner Valley. Never tried it.
Lavender Cafe - Down on Beechurst. Never tried it. A friend of mine that works downtown loves to order from here for lunch.
Dragon Cafe - Chinese takeout in Cheat Lake.
Oryza Asian Grill - Casual spot in the little plaza across from the Suncrest Towne Centre. They also opened a new location at the University Town Center near WalMart. This is basically an Asian-style Chipotle. I'm a fan- good lunch spot.
Peking House - Chinese place on Van Voorhis that's been around for ages. Nothing really special about it. Probably a good lunch spot if you're in the area and in the mood for Chinese.
Pho Hung - A pho place (obviously) in Westover. I haven't tried it, though I've heard from one person who preferred it to Saigon Pho.
Saigon Pho Kitchen - The pho is great, though I was less impressed by the banh mi. This is owned by the same people as Chaang Thai. You order at a kiosk, and they bring the food to your table. This is on University Ave. near the old Hibachi.
Ta-Khrai Thai Cafe - Probably my favorite Asian place in Morgantown these days. It's located on University Ave. above Zenclay. The food and presentation are great. You may or may not have a bit of a language barrier with the servers. One downside to this place is the speed of service- it can be slow at times.

Bakeries
Apple Annie's - Located in Pierpont Plaza. Their bakery counter is off to the side of the dining room. They have loads of pies, cookies, cakes, and other pastries as well as bread.
Rising Creek Bakery - Up the road in Mt Morris. Salt rising bread is their specialty. They also have the usual assortment of pastries, cookies, donuts, pies, etc.
Phoenix Bakery - Located on Kingwood St. in South Park. Their biscotti is amazing. Several styles of fresh bread, cookies, scones, etc. as well.
Sugar Bar Sweets + Coffee - New place at the Suncrest Towne Centre. They have a lot of gorgeous looking cakes, though I've yet to try one.
Terra Cafe - They make the best cakes in town in my opinion. Huge variety of flavors, and they're always beautifully decorated.
Venerable Bean Bakery - Vegan bakery inside Mountain People's Coop on Pleasant St.

Barbeque
The Backyard BBQ - Casual place on Cheat Rd. that does mostly takeout with some outdoor seating. They do BBQ sandwiches, burgers, dogs, etc. My wife and I got takeout here for lunch once- a pulled chicken sandwich, and a pulled pork sandwich, and they had so much sauce that we honestly weren't sure which was which. But they did taste pretty good.
Big Cock Jerk Pit - Takeout-only place on Stewartstown Rd. Haven't tried it.
J&D Bar-B-Q - On Dents Run Rd in Granville. Never tried it.
Sweet Southern Smoke - They recently took over the old Woodburn Shanks location in Sabraton. Pretty much a takeout place with a few picnic tables. Haven't tried it yet.
Woodburn Shanks - Previoiusly in Sabraton and at the old mall, they're about to reopen at the old Schmitt's Saloon / Smokin' Jacks location just off the Pierpont exit of I68.

Bars
Anvil + Ax - Located at Hotel Morgan on High St. Haven't tried it.
Apothecary Ale House & Cafe - On Chestnut St., they have a huge draft and bottled beer selection. I believe the food menu is fairly small, though. Never tried it.
Baby Squirrels Saloon - On High St., haven't tried it.
The Bank - Restaurant located in the former Wesbanco location on High St. It's been a few years since I've tried the place, and it looks like they've revamped it to a typical bar menu.
Crockett's - Gotta love a place that has goal posts from the 84 Penn State game above the bar. They have great wings.
Draft - A new sports bar at Pierpont Landing. I've really liked the food here so far, and it's more upscale than typical sports bar fare. The buffalo chicken sandwich is really good in particular. Service has been on the slow side, though.
Fat Daddy's - On Chestnut St. Never tried it.
Frosted Mug - On Greenbag Rd. Never tried it.
Gene's Beer Garden - Hole in the wall type of place in South Park. Known for their chili dogs, but I've only been in here for a beer.
Gibbie's Pub - Gibbie's is the longest-lasting bar on High St I can think of. They serve pretty standard bar fare.
Kegler's - The best pure sports bar in Morgantown. They're known for the wings, regularly winning the people's choice award in the local annual wing cookoff. The hot honey bbq sauce is my favorite. The New York strip hot melt is one of my favorite sandwiches in town.
Legends Sports Bar & Grille - The clubhouse restaurant at Lakeview.
Mario's Fishbowl - The Fishbowl on Richwood Ave is the place your parents went to in college and want to stop by and revisit whenever they come back in town. Total dive bar with a great atmosphere. Pretty typical bar food. They have two other locations in Suncrest and Westover.
McClafferty's - Irish Bar downtown. Never eaten here.
Mason Jar - Out in Granville. Never tried it.
Mountain Mama's - In Chelsea Square back behind Pug's. Never tried it.
Mountaineer Tap House - New place near the alumni center with a ton of brews on tap. Never tried it.
Mundy's Place - Small neighborhood bar in First Ward. Never tried it.
Novichenk's - On Cheat Rd. Never tried it.
Sabraton Station - At the old Archie's location. Never tried it.
Sports Page - Sports bar on High St that's been around for ages. I've never tried their food.
Town Hill Tavern - Known for their chili dogs. Never tried it.
Varsity Club - Right across the street from the stadium, they have a really good menu.
Wooden Nickel (Suncrest Pub) - At the intersection of Collins Ferry and Burroughs St, known for their burgers.

Breakfast
Apple Annie's - At Pierpont Landing. Pretty typical diner style breakfast.
Bourbon Prime - Located at the Marriott at the Waterfront. They have a pretty nice variety.
El Pollon - A Peruvian charcoal rotisserie chicken restaurant on Van Voorhis. I believe they serve breakfast all day, though I've never tried it.
Get Fit Morgantown - Smoothie/juice place in Mid-Atlantic Plaza near Plant Fitness and at the Suncrest Towne Centre. They also have breakfast grain and oatmeal bowls.
Rising Creek Bakery - Small joint up the road in Mt Morris. They have the typical bakery options, coffee bar, and breakfast menu. Had a great omelet here the one time I tried it.
Ruby & Ketchy's - Diner in the Cheat Lake area. Not the biggest fan.
Terra Cafe - They have a bit of a unique breakfast menu. I really like the Santa Fe Egg Wrap.
Tudor's Biscuit World - Local chain to WV. If you're looking for a heart attack on a biscuit, this is your place.
The Winchester - New steakhouse at the Holiday Inn on Pineview Dr. I haven't tried their breakfast.

Coffee, Tea, Juice (Places you would go to just for a drink)
Almost Heaven Desserts & Coffee Shop - They've had a store in Bridgeport for several years and recently opened up a new place in Cheat Lake. I stop here for coffee or a latte once or twice per week. They have plenty of bagels, muffins, and other breakfast pastries to choose from.
Annie's Coffee and Creamery - Located at Mid-Atlantic Plaza. I really wanted to like this place, but I think I've given up. They charged to add cream to coffee several times, I got a large latte that I assume only had one shot of espresso in it, and they gave me the wrong drink in the drive-thru another time. This all happened in the first month or two of opening, so hopefully they've gotten things straightened out since then.
Blue Moose Cafe - Hippy hangout that's been around on Spruce St for ages.
Get Fit Morgantown - Smoothie/juice place in Mid-Atlantic Plaza near Plant Fitness and at the Suncrest Towne Centre.
Mountaineer Roasting Co - Coffee shop on Maple Drive. As the name implies, they roast their own coffee.
Quantum Bean Coffee - New coffee shop in South Park. Never tried it.
River Burch Cafe - Located at the Waterfront across from Table 9. I think this is mostly for people that work in the area.
Slight Indulgence - Neat little market on Collins Ferry that has a wide selection of wine, coffee, chocolates, cigars, and other specialty food items.
Sugar Bar Sweets + Coffee - New place at the Suncrest Towne Centre. Standard coffee and espresso menu to go with all the sweets.
Terra Cafe - I'm not much of a coffee aficionado, but they made the best cappuccino I've ever had.
The Tea Shoppe at Seneca Center - If you want a pot of afternoon tea, this is your place. They literally have hundreds of varieties to choose from.

Indian
Bombay Indian Grill - On University Ave near campus. Never tried it.
Fresh Mint - On High St next to the post office. Haven't tried it.
Masala House Indian Bistro - on the Mileground near the airport. Haven't tried it.

Italian
Colasante's - Burned down back a while back, but they finally reopened. Colasante's has been around Westover for ages. More of a casual place, I put it well behind Oliverio's and Pug's in terms of food. Get a pizza or sandwich if you try it. My one experience with pasta since they reopened was pretty bad.
Nonno Carlo Italian Deli & Market - New casual Italian joint at the Suncrest Towne Centre that serves deli sandwiches and Neapolitan pizza. They make their mozzarella and ricotta in-house as well. I'm a big fan of this place so far- the porchetta sandwich in particular is worth a shot.
Oliverio's - My #2 Italian place in town, but great as well. I know it's a lot of people's fav. Really nice atmosphere down on the Waterfront with outdoor seating. They have more of a classical American-Italian menu. Try the angel hair crab ball appetizer. Good dessert selection as well.
Pugs Homemade Italian - Pug's has always been one of my favorites in Morgantown. They switched ownership a few years back, and it started going down hill, then eventually closed. Fortunately another group of owners opened it back up in 2020, and they made Pug.s great again. The first thing that you have to mention when it comes to Pug's is the bread. They give you your own loaf with dinner, drizzled with butter and oil. It's amazing- the best restaurant bread anywhere. My favorite entrees are the fettuccine carbonara (not a classic carbonara, mind you) and the chicken puttanesca (you'd better like garlic if you order that). They also serve pizza and calzones, though I haven't tried them much. It's a small restaurant and they don't take reservations, so be prepared to wait a bit if you show up during dinner rush on Friday or Saturday.

Japanese / Sushi
Fusion Japanese Steakhouse - Classic Japanese steakhouse at the University Town Center. I give this place the nod over Fujiyama .
Fujiyama - Another Japanese steakhouse, this one located at the Glenmark Center- pretty standard fare for how these go.
Ogawa - If you're in Morgantown and want sushi, this is the place to go. Not sure what else to say about the place.
Super Red Bowl - A sushi/Asian bowl place that opened up at the old Don Patron location at Pierpont Landing. Haven't tried it yet.
Volcano - Another sushi place that opened several years ago. I haven't tried it.
Yama - A little hole in the wall restaurant Fayette St. It's been around for ages, but somehow I've never been here. I know it has a devoted following.

Mediterranean
Ali Baba - Ali Baba has been around Morgantown in multiple locations for ages. They're in the Morgantown airport now. I really enjoyed the kebab the one time I went there in the current place. I just never think to go back, probably because of the awkward location.
Istanbul - Turkish restaurant near the intersection of Patteson Dr and University Ave. Never tried it.
Salam - Located on High St. Never tried it.

Mexican
La Tapatia Market and Tacos - On Greenbag Rd. Never tried it.
Los Mariachi's - I don't think there are any great Mexican restaurants in Morgantown, but this is the best of the bunch. Their flagship location on Van Voorhis is a Morgantown staple. This place seems packed just about any time you're there since it's popular both with students and people working at the hospitals, Mylan, etc. Pretty standard Mexican fare at good prices. They recently opened two new locations at the University Town Centre near the baseball stadium and the Glenmark Center. Same stuff as the original.
Mariachi Loco - If you're shopping at WalMart and are in the mood for generic Mexican, this is your place.
Rio Jalisco - Same story at the University Town Center.
Rio Verde - Used to be Rio Grande, now it's Rio Verde. I know a lot of people prefer it over Los Mariachi's. I've only been here a time or two, but it doesn't seem like there's much difference between the two to me.
Wings Ole - Located in Suburban Plaza near Kegler's and by the Westover Bridge downtown. It's been around for ever. I really don't like the place. It's just bad Tex-Mex to me. My wife loves it. They certainly have their following.

Microbreweries
Chestnut Brew Works - Not really a place you'd go for a full meal. Just a place where you can get some snacks while hanging out and having a few local beers. I'm a fan of their South Park Porter.
Morgantown Brewing Company - They brew their beer on site and have a standard menu with burgers and sandwiches. The Zach Morgan IPA is my fav from their selections.
Mountain State Brewing Company - They brew their beer down in Thomas, but they have all of the selections on tap here. One of my favorite pizza places in town. Try the Miner's Daughter Oatmeal Stout.

Peruvian
El Pollon - A Peruvian charcoal rotisserie chicken restaurant on Van Voorhis. This is their second restaurant, with the original in the eastern panhandle in Ranson, WV. This is a casual order at the counter place that I assume does quite a bit of takeout. The chicken itself is great, and they've got a lot of options for sides. Given the location, it'd be a great place to stock up with a few chickens and sides at a tailgate.

Pizza
Casa D' Amici - A High St staple, and they recently opened a new location at the Mid Atlantic Market. They do a lot of business with the late night college crowd. It's been ages since I've tried it.
Cottrell's Country Store - Old country store that also has a bar and serves pizza and sandwiches. On Point Marion Rd.
Fat Angelo's - Pizza place with locations in Cheat Lake and Westover.
Home Grown Pizza - Solid pizza joint on Earl Core Rd out toward Dellslow.
Lefty's Place - Detroit style pizza located on Burroughs St. in Suncrest. They used to be downtown, but some building issues (i.e. tenant upstairs flooded the restaurant) forced them to relocate. I'd never heard of Detroit style pizza before coming here, but it's basically a rectangular pan-style pizza with the sauce served on top. This is my favorite pizza in Morgantown. Their calzones are also great- the buffalo chicken is one of the best things on any menu in town. They also have a Tavern-style pizza which is better for feeding a crowd, but their Detroit style is my favorite.
Lotsa Stone Fired Pizza - A design your own pizza place on High St, similar to the Blaze Pizza chain. Quick, cheap, and good.
Milano's Pizza - Located on Greenbag Rd. Similar in style to Pizza Al's.
Mountain State Brewing Company - Really nice atmosphere with outdoor seating on the Waterfront. Their pizza has a thin-ish crust. Can't go wrong with the Fire on the Mountain pizza. They usually have a couple other local beers in addition to their own on tap.
Nonno Carlo Italian Deli & Market - New casual Italian joint at the Suncrest Towne Centre that serves deli sandwiches and Neapolitan pizza. It's not my preferred style of pizza, but they execute it very well.
Papa Allen's Pizza - At the University Place apartments near campus. Never tried it.
PeppeBroni's - In a plaza on 705 near Sheetz. Never tried it.
Phoenix Bakery - Probably not the first pizza place that comes to mind, but worth a try if you want takeout. I had a fig/prosciutto pizza from here once that was great.
Pies & Pints - I give them the nod on food over Mountain State because their non-pizza menu is much better. The pulled pork nachos are amazing. The Chicken Gouda is my favorite pizza. They have a nice selection of beer as well.
Pizza Al's - Locations on University Avenue, Sabraton, and at the University Town Center. Classic NY style thin crust pizza. Lots of people people swear by Al's as the best in town.
The Pizza Place - An old Parkersburg staple that recently opened up a new location in Morgantown at the Northpointe Plaza. They have traditional Neapolitan as well as Sicilian pizza. The latter is absolutely huge, expensive, and delicious.

Seafood
Crab Shack Carriba - Formerly Called Coach's Crab Shack, it's located at the Suncrest Towne Centre now. If you go here, you'll want to get a steamer. That's what they do best, and they are awesome. I think their entrees aside from steamers are mostly average, though.

Sunday Brunch
Crab Shack Carriba - Shouldn't be too surprising that they have a crab cake eggs benedict on the menu.
Dockside Grille - Out at Cheat Lake, not a big brunch place. I had a pulled pork hash here that was excellent. Cheap mimosas and bloody marys.
Draft - A new sports bar at Pierpont Landing. I've yet to try their brunch, but the menu looks nice.
Iron Horse Tavern - Fried donut holes coated in cinnamon and sugar with a vanilla Kahlua dipping sauce? Yes please. Make a reservation if you're planning on eating brunch here.
Morgantown Flour and Feed - It's been a while since I've tried this place for brunch. I liked the crab cake eggs benedict back in the day, but it looks like it's not on their menu any more.
Sargasso - They have a fancier brunch menu, though it's not super expensive like their dinner. They switch things up a good bit. Their eggs benedict is very rich and has creamed spinach on it- I'm a fan. The hangar steak and eggs is top notch as well. It may be a silly thing to mention, but their coffee is great compared to most other brunch places.
Table 9 - They serve brunch on Saturday and Sunday. I think I've tried about everything on the brunch menu at some point, though I just about always order the devils on horseback as an appetizer. My wife likes their sous vide eggs benedict. They have chicken and waffles as well. Reservation recommended for Sunday brunch.
Terra Cafe - They do table service for brunch instead of their typical ordering at the counter. Eggs benedict, crepes, quiche, pancakes- their menu is more on the breakfast side of things than the lunch side.
Tropics - Only tried their brunch once- pretty typical brunch menu with a few Hawaiian twists. Outdoor seating is nice when the weather is good.
The Wine Bar at Vintner Valley - Located in Suncrest on Burroughs St. They started serving brunch earlier this summer. I had the eggs benedict and enjoyed it.

Sweets (Places you might go to just for a quick dessert)
Almost Heaven Desserts & Coffee Shop - They've had a store in Bridgeport for several years and recently opened up a new place in Cheat Lake. Cheesecakes are their specialty- they've got a wide variety, and they all look amazing. They also have a selection of pies, cookies, cannoli, and other sweets.
Annie's Coffee and Creamery - Located at Mid-Atlantic Plaza. They have hand dipped ice cream cones, sundaes, banana splits, and the like. Also pastries from Apple Annie's. I haven't tried their ice cream, though.
The Cupcakerie - Downtown and in the the mood for a fancy cupcake? This is your place.
Peace, Love, and Little Donuts - At the Suncrest Towne Centre, a smallish chain originating out of Pittsburgh. They have tasty little donuts topped with about every type of sweet thing imaginable.
Sugar Bar Sweets + Coffee - New place at the Suncrest Towne Centre. They have a ton of different cakes, cupcakes, pies, macarons, canoli, etc. Cheesecake waffle cones are also one of their specialties. If you stop in here, you'll see something you want.
Terra Cafe - Their dessert case is just ridiculous. Tons of cupcakes, and mini-pies, tarts, etc.

Upscale (Not necessarily fine dining, but at least these are the types of places you'd go to for a fancy meal or to impress someone)
Sargasso - One of the fanciest places in town, located on Don Knotts Blvd. They change up their menu monthly (usually some unique options) and put out consistently good food. The desserts are usually really good as well.
Stefano's - Located below Suburban Lanes, they probably have the most "froufrou" menu out there. The food is great but expensive. The atmosphere is a little on the stuffy side for my taste.
Tin 202 - Fairly new place on High St., this place has been growing on me lately. They have a fancy cocktail menu and a lot of tapas, though the actual entree menu is pretty small. If you go here, you have to get the charcuterie platter. Be sure to try the tiramisu for dessert as well- it's stupid good.
Mog, thanks for this list.

Based on your recommendation, after our Campus Tour of WVU on Friday, my kids and i stopped at Black Bear Burritos. The Fish Taco was excellent!

Reactions: Mog and Vernon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT