ADVERTISEMENT

You might have to think for a minute....

GhostofGraves

All-Conference
Mar 6, 2010
My apologies to the troglodytes on this board, but you might have to think for just one minute about the timing of the Huggins info.
Huggins "resigns." WVU announces national coaching search. One week later, they call off the national search and state that they didn't know it would be so difficult to find a new coach in June. So, no one at the university realized prior to announcing national search that it would hard to do so late? I hope you don't honestly believe that. No, the university realized that Huggins' "resignation" was invalid and named Eilert "interim" coach so as not to contract with anyone new, as they were well aware the whole thing was getting ready to blow up in their face.

My apologies to the troglodytes on this board, but you might have to think for just one minute about the timing of the Huggins info.
Huggins "resigns." WVU announces national coaching search. One week later, they call off the national search and state that they didn't know it would be so difficult to find a new coach in June. So, no one at the university realized prior to announcing national search that it would hard to do so late? I hope you don't honestly believe that. No, the university realized that Huggins' "resignation" was invalid and named Eilert "interim" coach so as not to contract with anyone new, as they were well aware the whole thing was getting ready to blow up in their face.
While you may be right, it’s still a dickhead move what Huggins is doing. Obviously he has learned nothing from his mistake and thinks he’s above the law and rules. Whatever. Give his buyout and be done with him.

all of this concocted in a cave.

I believe this post makes the OP a troglodyte.

While you may be right, it’s still a dickhead move what Huggins is doing. Obviously he has learned nothing from his mistake and thinks he’s above the law and rules. Whatever. Give his buyout and be done with him.
The op just wants to complain because he doesn't like the outcome. Even though the decision was based on a self-inflicted wound on the part of Huggins. I'm sure the university knew it would be difficult finding what they perceived to be an ideal replacement for Huggins. They did the diligence to explore all the possibilities but came back to what most originally thought and hired and interim. When it comes to Huggins and his current actions, I think most have been caught off guard by his behavior. In reality we don't know what he's really like. There are many on the outside of WV who said the guy was a scum. I remember some who called him Thuggins back in the 90's. I have never met him personally so I can't say either or on this front. I remember after Catlett left some were upset when He didn't come. We really needed him more back then and for whatever reason he didn't end up here. If he truly had wanted it, he would have found a way to make it work. I don't blame him for not coming back in 2001 after Catlett. Why leave what was a comfortable situation at cincy at the time for Catlett's dumpster fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: herdfan1999
The op just wants to complain because he doesn't like the outcome. Even though the decision was based on a self-inflicted wound on the part of Huggins. I'm sure the university knew it would be difficult finding what they perceived to be an ideal replacement for Huggins. They did the diligence to explore all the possibilities but came back to what most originally thought and hired and interim. When it comes to Huggins and his current actions, I think most have been caught off guard by his behavior. In reality we don't know what he's really like. There are many on the outside of WV who said the guy was a scum. I remember some who called him Thuggins back in the 90's. I have never met him personally so I can't say either or on this front. I remember after Catlett left some were upset when He didn't come. We really needed him more back then and for whatever reason he didn't end up here. If he truly had wanted it, he would have found a way to make it work. I don't blame him for not coming back in 2001 after Catlett. Why leave what was a comfortable situation at cincy at the time for Catlett's dumpster fire.
You are exactly right. I remember when Catlett left it was reported on ESPN Sports Center that WVU was in talks with Huggins and he declined. Whether that was an actual interview or not, I’m not sure. I do know he easily chose to remain at Cincinnati as quickly as the rumor started.

Reactions: Jason Voorhees
You are exactly right. I remember when Catlett left it was reported on ESPN Sports Center that WVU was in talks with Huggins and he declined. Whether that was an actual interview or not, I’m not sure. I do know he easily chose to remain at Cincinnati as quickly as the rumor started.
Terry Bowden another example in 2000 when times were tough, he declines but in 2007 when times are good, he all of a sudden has a change of heart.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
There is no Santa Claus. You believed, despite all the evidence. You believed WVU was "different" and "special." I know it's tough for you mouth-breathers to grasp, but to quote the great DickRod, "West Virginia ain't f&cking special."

I personally thought WVU handled it about as poorly as they could when it happened and didn't think anything good would come of such a rushed decision. Never would I have guess this would be the next thing to happen, but the whole thing stunk from the beginning and the WVU admin is pretty much amature hour, so it wont surprise me if they end up having to pay up. This is lame though

Reactions: GhostofGraves
I personally thought WVU handled it about as poorly as they could when it happened and didn't think anything good would come of such a rushed decision. Never would I have guess this would be the next thing to happen, but the whole thing stunk from the beginning and the WVU admin is pretty much amature hour, so it wont surprise me if they end up having to pay up. This is lame though
How did WVU handle this poorly? They accepted his resignation. He did it in person.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
There is no Santa Claus. You believed, despite all the evidence. You believed WVU was "different" and "special." I know it's tough for you mouth-breathers to grasp, but to quote the great DickRod, "West Virginia ain't f&cking special."
there is a Santa Claus because I had to endure the lines to have my kids get a picture with him (yes Santa Claus is a male and not a female) because my wife said so. I listen to my wife. And WV is special because my mother was born there, she loved Pat White, and her grand kids remember watching him together with her during the games he helped make them feel good about WVU.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
How did WVU handle this poorly? They accepted his resignation. He did it in person.
My opinion on this is pretty well known. I think WVU and Gee are idiots who handle most things poorly lol. You couldnt even ask for a more pathetic group of people. Rob Alsop? He is a doosh. He is a political hack who worked on Joe Manchin's staff. Gordon Gee? Need I say more. I would take Huggins over either one of these idiots DUI or not. In fact I think the DUI is a stupid reason to get fired and I personally dont believe 95% of the people who pretend to be offended by it. Fkn liars. They dont really care, they just virtue signal.

Last edited:
Reactions: I.M.Right
there is a Santa Claus because I had to endure the lines to have my kids get a picture with him (yes Santa Claus is a male and not a female) because my wife said so. I listen to my wife. And WV is special because my mother was born there, she loved Pat White, and her grand kids remember watching him together with her during the games he helped make them feel good about WVU.
Really? If you haven’t done so already, one day you’ll stop taking your kids to Santa and tell them the truth. One day you’ll have to accept the truth about WVU. I know it’s hard to admit you’ve been wrong your whole life, but living a lie is bad for your soul.

Really? If you haven’t done so already, one day you’ll stop taking your kids to Santa and tell them the truth. One day you’ll have to accept the truth about WVU. I know it’s hard to admit you’ve been wrong your whole life, but living a lie is bad for your soul.
they'll take their own kids to Santa and I'll love the pictures.

the truth about WVU.......the only truth is I graduated from WVU and then Vanderbilt. the rest is immaterial, even my rise from a private to a colonel. Serving those sick with the skill WVU honed matters. winning a basketball game matters nothing to me.

My life's journey is not anything I have to admit I've been wrong about. Because you are judgmental, I'm guessing if you knew what I've done and what I am doing, your pride would prevent you from saying you are a dumbass. So if you are running a hospital, treating the sick, commanding units, leading troops, wearing the uniform, and leading others to success, and defending the country, then maybe you'll accept the truth. But in the words of Jack, "I don't give a damn what you thing the truth is". So kiss my ass, Bob's ass, and do something with your time left than to comment about Santa. And my soul..........you have nothing to say about my soul. So do something with your life while you still have time.

So shut up bitch and say Ho Ho Ho next Christmas!

You responsible for the debacles in Iraq and Afghanistan? I wouldn’t be bragging about that. Our military is a joke.

And you quote a fictional colonel who facilitated the murder of one of his own Marines? I guess you find that admirable?
That’s quite interesting from a psychological perspective, as is your petty anger and dismissal of opposing opinions. You need help.

Last edited:

Maybe, just maybe, this is a case of legalese bullshit. Huggins resigned so the University didn't have to fire him for cause. It was the best resolution for everyone involved and the admin didn't bother to make sure the resignation checked every minute detail. Now if Huggins wants to shit all over what ever legacy he has left by dragging WVU into a legal battle over a weak case, he is welcome to it.

Reactions: skygusty and Euell
Maybe, just maybe, this is a case of legalese bullshit. Huggins resigned so the University didn't have to fire him for cause. It was the best resolution for everyone involved and the admin didn't bother to make sure the resignation checked every minute detail. Now if Huggins wants to shit all over what ever legacy he has left by dragging WVU into a legal battle over a weak case, he is welcome to it.
Yeah, I mean WVU lawyers don't have time to check "every minute detail"...is that really that important when assessing legal documents? Is that part of WVU Law School? Don't check the details of a CONTRACT? Another black eye for W.Va....a law school that teaches you not to read the fine print.

Yeah, I mean WVU lawyers don't have time to check "every minute detail"...is that really that important when assessing legal documents? Is that part of WVU Law School? Don't check the details of a CONTRACT? Another black eye for W.Va....a law school that teaches you not to read the fine print.
If you took the time to read WVU legal team response, you would realize their stance is that a certified letter etc wasn’t required to give notice of resignation. You would also realize that is from the VP of legal counsel at WVU. You would realize this is a complete fiasco and makes Huggins appear childish.

The law school had no part in this. That detail is solely on Gee and Baker. It still may not help Huggins who has to account for his actions and inaction, what he said and who he said it to. Let's see what the judge says.

Interesting theory, but I'm not sure an AD from a directional Texas school has the mental acuity to figure all that out. The alternative, though, is that Jenny Wren and Gee Man were very sloppy about this whole process and just wanted to get Huggins out of the building as soon as possible. Maybe they did see this coming. Don't be surprised by the reception your theory got on the board, however, because emotions are running high right now among the Huggins haters.

Reactions: GhostofGraves
they'll take their own kids to Santa and I'll love the pictures.

the truth about WVU.......the only truth is I graduated from WVU and then Vanderbilt. the rest is immaterial, even my rise from a private to a colonel. Serving those sick with the skill WVU honed matters. winning a basketball game matters nothing to me.

My life's journey is not anything I have to admit I've been wrong about. Because you are judgmental, I'm guessing if you knew what I've done and what I am doing, your pride would prevent you from saying you are a dumbass. So if you are running a hospital, treating the sick, commanding units, leading troops, wearing the uniform, and leading others to success, and defending the country, then maybe you'll accept the truth. But in the words of Jack, "I don't give a damn what you thing the truth is". So kiss my ass, Bob's ass, and do something with your time left than to comment about Santa. And my soul..........you have nothing to say about my soul. So do something with your life while you still have time.

So shut up bitch and say Ho Ho Ho next Christmas!
I assume you graduated from Vanderbilt with an advanced degree...but then you began your military service as an enlisted Private? You didn't go fast-track through the rankings with OCS?

Yeah if I voluntarily submit to a resignation, the onus is not on my employer to ensure the resignation is fully in compliance with the contract. The fact that I am knowingly submitting a resignation is admission on my own part that I am forgoing any other stipulations in the contract.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
I assume you graduated from Vanderbilt with an advanced degree...but then you began your military service as an enlisted Private? You didn't go fast-track through the rankings with OCS?
I enlisted a little more than a decade prior to Vandy and but significantly less, prior to WVU. I direct commissioned (AMEDD).

Yeah if I voluntarily submit to a resignation, the onus is not on my employer to ensure the resignation is fully in compliance with the contract. The fact that I am knowingly submitting a resignation is admission on my own part that I am forgoing any other stipulations in the contract.
Good luck with that.

Good luck with that.
What exactly is your legal expertise? Most legal analysts I have seen comment on this don't seem to think Huggins has much of a case. If you want to talk about Luck Huggins will need quite a bit of it trying to explain why he told the team, he was resigning and later cleaning out his office.

Last edited:
What exactly is your legal expertise? Most legal analysts I have seen comment on this don't seem to think Huggins has much of a case. If you want to talk about Luck Huggins will need quite a bit of it trying to explain why he told the team, he was resigning and later cleaning out his office.
I'm an attorney. Huggs will get $. As detailed in the original post, you may have to think for a minute. WVU realized they had made a serious mistake, which is why they called off the national search. They didn't want to bring someone in, only to have this nightmare, which was pointed out to them in that week interim, flare up, as they knew it would. We went from a national search to elevating the next guy up internally- after publicly announcing the national search- because WVU realized they are on the hook for $, which are in short supply at WVU at the current time. This is a cluster**** of a clown show.

Good luck with that.

So someone resigns and the employer contacts the resigner that they acknowledge the resignation. Then there are multiple media articles detailing the resigner's resignation and weeks pass without the resigner contacting the employer nor media to dispute the reported resignation. Good luck convincing anyone with a brain that an email you cannot prove didn't come from you is not an adequate "written letter of resignation" when it took you weeks to refute the resignation you definitely knew about.

I'm an attorney. Huggs will get $. As detailed in the original post, you may have to think for a minute. WVU realized they had made a serious mistake, which is why they called off the national search. They didn't want to bring someone in, only to have this nightmare, which was pointed out to them in that week interim, flare up, as they knew it would. We went from a national search to elevating the next guy up internally- after publicly announcing the national search- because WVU realized they are on the hook for $, which are in short supply at WVU at the current time. This is a cluster**** of a clown show.
That is nothing but speculation on your part. They did a national search didn't find what they wanted so they went the interim route. They decided to take it on the chin this year instead of making a bad hire which could affect the program for years. If you were really an attorney, you would see this case for what it is. A frivolous lawsuit. Huggins may get some money out of this because it may be cheaper to settle than to fight it in court. If this reach's the court room Huggins will get his clock cleaned and every real attorney knows that.

Reactions: Euell
Ok, then you’re a very incompetent attorney. Anyone without a legal brain can acknowledge WVU only accepted the resignation. What else should they do? Tell Huggins no? Stop being an idiot. Yes, I’ve said from day 1 this is a money grab. And yes, Huggins will get it. Not because WVU acted inappropriately, but because Huggins will get what you call nuisance pay. They will pay him to go away. In the end, Huggins has destroyed his legacy at WVU. And refuses to accept responsibility that he screwed up. And he will get paid for being a jackass on his way out.

What makes you think he wants money? Last I heard he is suing to get his job back. This will never happen. Bob is an alcoholic and needs to admit such. First step in recovery.

I don't think he has a leg to stand on. If he can stand from drinking constantly. You are no attorney.

MESSAGE FROM BOB HUGGINS TO THE WVU COMMUNITY

Mountaineer Nation:

Today, I have submitted a letter to President Gordon Gee and Vice President and Director of Athletics Wren Baker informing them of my resignation and intention to retire as head men’s basketball coach at West Virginia University effective immediately.

My recent actions do not represent the values of the University or the leadership expected in this role. While I have always tried to represent our University with honor, I have let all of you – and myself – down. I am solely responsible for my conduct and sincerely apologize to the University community – particularly to the student-athletes, coaches and staff in our program. I must do better, and I plan to spend the next few months focused on my health and my family so that I can be the person they deserve.

It has been the honor of my professional career to lead the men’s basketball program at my alma mater and I take great pride in our accomplishments. But I am most proud of the tremendous young men who chose to spend their formative years with us, and who have gone on to do great things with their lives.

I was born in Morgantown, graduated from West Virginia University and had the pleasure of coaching here for seventeen seasons as an assistant or head coach. It will always be my home, and I will always be a Mountaineer.

Thank you to everyone who has supported our program over the years. It has meant more to me and my family than you could ever know.

Sincerely,

Bob Huggins

Copyright 2023 WSAZ. All rights reserved.

What makes you think he wants money? Last I heard he is suing to get his job back. This will never happen. Bob is an alcoholic and needs to admit such. First step in recovery.

I don't think he has a leg to stand on. If he can stand from drinking constantly. You are no attorney.

MESSAGE FROM BOB HUGGINS TO THE WVU COMMUNITY

Mountaineer Nation:

Today, I have submitted a letter to President Gordon Gee and Vice President and Director of Athletics Wren Baker informing them of my resignation and intention to retire as head men’s basketball coach at West Virginia University effective immediately.

My recent actions do not represent the values of the University or the leadership expected in this role. While I have always tried to represent our University with honor, I have let all of you – and myself – down. I am solely responsible for my conduct and sincerely apologize to the University community – particularly to the student-athletes, coaches and staff in our program. I must do better, and I plan to spend the next few months focused on my health and my family so that I can be the person they deserve.

It has been the honor of my professional career to lead the men’s basketball program at my alma mater and I take great pride in our accomplishments. But I am most proud of the tremendous young men who chose to spend their formative years with us, and who have gone on to do great things with their lives.

I was born in Morgantown, graduated from West Virginia University and had the pleasure of coaching here for seventeen seasons as an assistant or head coach. It will always be my home, and I will always be a Mountaineer.

Thank you to everyone who has supported our program over the years. It has meant more to me and my family than you could ever know.

Sincerely,

Bob Huggins

Copyright 2023 WSAZ. All rights reserved.

I think it is an extremely cynical ploy by Huggins to use a loop hole to negate the resignation. The resignation is a clean break. If he is able to cast aspersions on the resignation and force WVU to fire him for cause, there is more of a possibility he could leverage that into more litigation. Litigation he would likely lose, but possibly make it enough of a headache and PR circus to have WVU bean counters pay STFU money instead of taking the issue to the mat. There is no way he keeps his job as I would guess WVU would go to the mat against that. But I could see the angle of trying to make it such a legal hassle for WVU that financial concessions be made. Either way, this further tarnishes Bob's legacy at WVU and makes him look more and more like RR.

I think it is an extremely cynical ploy by Huggins to use a loop hole to negate the resignation. The resignation is a clean break. If he is able to cast aspersions on the resignation and force WVU to fire him for cause, there is more of a possibility he could leverage that into more litigation. Litigation he would likely lose, but possibly make it enough of a headache and PR circus to have WVU bean counters pay STFU money instead of taking the issue to the mat. There is no way he keeps his job as I would guess WVU would go to the mat against that. But I could see the angle of trying to make it such a legal hassle for WVU that financial concessions be made. Either way, this further tarnishes Bob's legacy at WVU and makes him look more and more like RR.
He broke his contract when he was caught with DUI.

He broke his contract when he was caught with DUI

An employee breaks a term of a CONTRACT, the other party now has standing to act on the termination clauses of the CONTRACT. The terms of the CONTRACT must be adhered to by all parties. Resignation must occur by the clauses detailed in the CONTRACT. If any of these contractual obligations aren't met, the actions are void.

CONTRACT: a BINDING agreement between two or more persons or parties.

The reason you have a CONTRACT is so the conduct of all parties is clearly listed at the inception of any relationship so that any problems/difficulties/disagreements and their pathways to arbitration, resolution, or termination are not created at the time of separation.

WVU did not obtain the resignation in the CONTRACTUALLY required method. Period.

An employee breaks a term of a CONTRACT, the other party now has standing to act on the termination clauses of the CONTRACT. The terms of the CONTRACT must be adhered to by all parties. Resignation must occur by the clauses detailed in the CONTRACT. If any of these contractual obligations aren't met, the actions are void.

CONTRACT: a BINDING agreement between two or more persons or parties.

The reason you have a CONTRACT is so the conduct of all parties is clearly listed at the inception of any relationship so that any problems/difficulties/disagreements and their pathways to arbitration, resolution, or termination are not created at the time of separation.

WVU did not obtain the resignation in the CONTRACTUALLY required method. Period.
Don't give a rats ass if his life falls of the rails and he lives in the sewers. He was driving a university vehicle while drunk. He could be arrested just for that. There was no binding contract when his ass broke that contract by breaking the law.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT