ADVERTISEMENT

WVU will have to come east

1duluth1

Sophomore
Apr 5, 2005
N.VA (Originally- Princeton, W.V.)
Once the BIG gets Oregon, Wash (and UVA, UNC, N.D.?) ...and SEC gets Clemson, Fl St, Miami... the remaining PAC, Big12, ACC will be the left overs. Left overs don't get 40 mil per year from TV. That Big12 $$ is what made it viable for WVU to travel. With much smaller TV revenue, they will need to play closer to home - at same time ACC needs to replace 3 schools. WVU will be back to playing Syracuse, Pitt, Va Tech. Cincy & S Fla probably come to ACC, too. Left over PAC+Big12 merge.

Also, I think ACC/PAC/Big12 probably frozen out of SEC+BIG playoff. They keep all TV money for selves.
This may be for the best. We can't compete NIL money from other schools (nor do I even want to).
-Tim

Once the BIG gets Oregon, Wash (and UVA, UNC, N.D.?) ...and SEC gets Clemson, Fl St, Miami... the remaining PAC, Big12, ACC will be the left overs. Left overs don't get 40 mil per year from TV. That Big12 $$ is what made it viable for WVU to travel. With much smaller TV revenue, they will need to play closer to home - at same time ACC needs to replace 3 schools. WVU will be back to playing Syracuse, Pitt, Va Tech. Cincy & S Fla probably come to ACC, too. Left over PAC+Big12 merge.

Also, I think ACC/PAC/Big12 probably frozen out of SEC+BIG playoff. They keep all TV money for selves.
This may be for the best. We can't compete NIL money from other schools (nor do I even want to).
-Tim

I am pretty sure the logistical costs of moving the teams around is a very arbitrary number or else we wouldn’t also see the G5 conferences also expanding over half the country. The leftovers will consolidate, a program or two will rise up and then that program or two will get the call to the SEC/B1G. Rinse and repeat. Like an ultra capitalist/bastardized version of Promotion/Relegation that moves at a snail’s pace without defined boundaries between the haves and have nots.

I am pretty sure the logistical costs of moving the teams around is a very arbitrary number or else we wouldn’t also see the G5 conferences also expanding over half the country. The leftovers will consolidate, a program or two will rise up and then that program or two will get the call to the SEC/B1G. Rinse and repeat. Like an ultra capitalist/bastardized version of Promotion/Relegation that moves at a snail’s pace without defined boundaries between the haves and have nots.
Do you see SEC & BIG locking out the leftovers from their playoffs... or giving PAC/B12/ACC/Mtn West/AAC/BigSouth 1 wildcard spot to their playoffs - to keep us pacified?
Of course, if we make it to their playoffs as wildcard, we'd be playing against million-dollar players on their teams.

Do you see SEC & BIG locking out the leftovers from their playoffs... or giving PAC/B12/ACC/Mtn West/AAC/BigSouth 1 wildcard spot to their playoffs - to keep us pacified?
Of course, if we make it to their playoffs as wildcard, we'd be playing against million-dollar players on their teams.

The end game - probably a closed joint league, where “OOC” games are only played against the other league and they have their own playoff.

The short term (probably the next decade) - a continuation of the status quo but the CFP will really need a perfect storm to include someone outside of the B1G and SEC like Cincy last year.

-Tim
So SEC and Big 10 will have 30 teams each. Makes sense. If you're delusional.

No doubt there will be 2 big boy conferences left but no way will SEC allow 3 Florida schools.

SEC and Big 10 will have to be happy with 16 for now as ACC GOR does not end until 2036.

If Clemson and FSU were to leave the ACC, they forfeit the television earnings. So, when you total what Clemson might make off its ACC television payout, you’re talking hundreds of millions of dollars.

That is, unless, you find a loophole in court.

Lawyers have their ways of resolving conflicts like this and doing so in a way that is mutually beneficial. In addition, the one thing you’ve got to keep in mind here is that ESPN owns the ACC Network and the SEC Network. If the owner of the ACC Network- ie. ESPN came to the conference and pushed to work out a deal to allow Clemson and FSU football to join the SEC, you’ve got to believe a deal would get done.

The only way that happens is if ESPN is the one behind conference expansion and, if that’s the case, the network would be looking to build a brand that transcends anything we’ve seen in College Football before.

Could Clemson and FSU leave the ACC to join the SEC? Yes, it’s possible.

being in minor leagues is one thing, but being there after being in top division for so long, is going to lose a ton of fan interest. i know in pittsburgh minor leagues fail every time , no one when to see maulers, pirahnas, etc and not that a ton go to see pitt but it will be ~5k a game if lucky.
i have not posted in yrs really but yes i went to pitt and don't mind saying reality, im a wvu fan too(always was but now my daughter is starting there, get your f'n disc golf baskets upright at least wtf)

Reactions: 1duluth1
I know this post will sound outrageous, but as a former season ticket holder to WVU games for close to 20 years, and now following B1G sports for the last 25, I feel the best two teams the B1G should have added were Pitt and WVU. Makes absolutely nothing but sense, but the all American dollar is fvcking everything up. Adding Pitt and WVU would bring back many rivalries and create many more.

Only good thing about this merging garbage is WVU and PITT can return to playing every year.

To my o.p., even if Big12 ends up with Utah, AZ, Buffs (a decent conference with Ok St, BYU, TCU, etc.)- won't the tv/media contract be reduced so much that WVU has to join the ACC? We could travel that much at 35 mill per year. Could we afford a steady diet of Texas, AZ, & Utah flights at 15 mil per year?

Aren't we looking at Pitt, Syracuse, Wake Forest, & Louisville games in our future?

I know this post will sound outrageous, but as a former season ticket holder to WVU games for close to 20 years, and now following B1G sports for the last 25, I feel the best two teams the B1G should have added were Pitt and WVU. Makes absolutely nothing but sense, but the all American dollar is fvcking everything up. Adding Pitt and WVU would bring back many rivalries and create many more.

West Virginia doesn't qualify academically to get entrance into the B1G. The B1G schools get grant money that dwarfs what they will get from the athletic endeavors. This is why Texas could have been invited, but Oklahoma was a no. Also why the B1G would only take a few schools from the SEC like Missouri, Texas A&M, Georgia, Florida, or Texas.

Reactions: SantaFeScarlet
Also crazy to think how we were never good enough for ACC. But watch them lose Clemson, Fl St, NC, and UVA - and I'll bet we suddenly become distinguished enough for them.
If ACC holds on to ND, they will likely keep those other schools. If they can't, then schools in NC and VA are likely targets of both the BIG and the SEC as they currently have no presence in those states. Excepting ND, I am watching to see whether the BIG or the SEC have any interest in states where neither have a presence currently, WA, OR, UT, CO, AZ, KS, NC, VA and at the bottom of the list, MA, NY and WV. Currently, the BIG and the SEC have zero overlap in any state and I think it stays that way. This is all about those two leagues capturing the biggest schools, the most eyeballs and telling the NCAA to stick it and have the only relevant College Championship.

Last edited:
If ACC holds on to ND, they will likely keep those other schools. If they can't, then schools in NC and VA are likely targets of both the BIG and the SEC as they currently have no presence in those states. Excepting ND, I am watching to see whether the BIG or the SEC have any interest in states where neither have a presence currently, WA, OR, UT, CO, AZ, KS, NC, VA and at the bottom of the list, MA, NY and WV. Currently, the BIG and the SEC have zero overlap in any state and I think it stays that way. This is all about those two leagues capturing the biggest schools, the most eyeballs and telling the NCAA to stick it and have the only relevant College Championship.
Zero overlap?

The ACC and the B1G overlap in Pennsylvania and New York. Then the Big 12 and the SEC overlap currently in the state of Texas with Texas A&M, though the SEC will soon deepen its ties into traditional Big-12 territory when University of Texas and University of Oklahoma formally join the SEC.

So SEC and Big 10 will have 30 teams each. Makes sense. If you're delusional.

No doubt there will be 2 big boy conferences left but no way will SEC allow 3 Florida schools.

SEC and Big 10 will have to be happy with 16 for now as ACC GOR does not end until 2036.

If Clemson and FSU were to leave the ACC, they forfeit the television earnings. So, when you total what Clemson might make off its ACC television payout, you’re talking hundreds of millions of dollars.

That is, unless, you find a loophole in court.

Lawyers have their ways of resolving conflicts like this and doing so in a way that is mutually beneficial. In addition, the one thing you’ve got to keep in mind here is that ESPN owns the ACC Network and the SEC Network. If the owner of the ACC Network- ie. ESPN came to the conference and pushed to work out a deal to allow Clemson and FSU football to join the SEC, you’ve got to believe a deal would get done.

The only way that happens is if ESPN is the one behind conference expansion and, if that’s the case, the network would be looking to build a brand that transcends anything we’ve seen in College Football before.

Could Clemson and FSU leave the ACC to join the SEC? Yes, it’s possible.
It’s already been discussed. Clemson and FSU could pay the buyout in installments, and go to the SEC, and still make more money than they are making now.

It’s already been discussed. Clemson and FSU could pay the buyout in installments, and go to the SEC, and still make more money than they are making now.
There are 2 separate things going on here. Clemson and FSU would need to pay exit fee then ACC (actually ESPN since they own the ACC) would own all their rights until 2036. ACC is a dead man walking, It's just a matter of waiting. If FSU and Clemson do decide to go SEC and make it public that they would in 14 years. Then ESPN would tell the ACC your not worth the money we are giving you it's time to renegotiate your deal.

Something most don't know is ESPN checks the ACC every 2 years ESPN reassess the ACC priorities/goals/values and situation before making a critical error. So if FSU and Clemson makes leaving public ESPN will redo ACC contract. Get your lawyers ready ACC. Swofford screwed you then left.

There are 2 separate things going on here. Clemson and FSU would need to pay exit fee then ACC (actually ESPN since they own the ACC) would own all their rights until 2036. ACC is a dead man walking, It's just a matter of waiting. If FSU and Clemson do decide to go SEC and make it public that they would in 14 years. Then ESPN would tell the ACC your not worth the money we are giving you it's time to renegotiate your deal.

Something most don't know is ESPN checks the ACC every 2 years ESPN reassess the ACC priorities/goals/values and situation before making a critical error. So if FSU and Clemson makes leaving public ESPN will redo ACC contract. Get your lawyers ready ACC. Swofford screwed you then left.
Nice post. The problem that I have with Virginia Tech and Pittsburgh if this was to go down. Both schools will be poised to be either in the Big Ten or SEC. VT and UVA are joined at the hip and could see UVA in the Big 10 if everything blows up.

If the scenario you provided were to come true, which is very likely, I could see VT and another school jumping in and making it 4 schools leaving. Like it or hate it, Virginia Tech has been ESPNs media darling for over 22 years now regardless of what below average product they put on the field. I feel like we need to go rogue and do everything we can to get on the SEC or Big Ten boat. No doubt it will be a next to impossible task

Nice post. The problem that I have with Virginia Tech and Pittsburgh if this was to go down. Both schools will be poised to be either in the Big Ten or SEC. VT and UVA are joined at the hip and could see UVA in the Big 10 if everything blows up.

If the scenario you provided were to come true, which is very likely, I could see VT and another school jumping in and making it 4 schools leaving. Like it or hate it, Virginia Tech has been ESPNs media darling for over 22 years now regardless of what below average product they put on the field. I feel like we need to go rogue and do everything we can to get on the SEC or Big Ten boat. No doubt it will be a next to impossible task
IMO, our best option is to sit still and remain in the Big 12. Not because I prefer the Big 12 over our old rivalries, it’s because it’s the most stable. The ACC will implode within the next few years. If not sooner. You can bet your ass FSU and Clemson lawyers are combing through that ACC GOR contract looking for ways out early. And if not, they’re still gone in 2035. If the Big 12 adds those 6 Pac12 schools mentioned, they are a very good athletic conference top to bottom.

Reactions: Panhandleer
IMO, our best option is to sit still and remain in the Big 12. Not because I prefer the Big 12 over our old rivalries, it’s because it’s the most stable. The ACC will implode within the next few years. If not sooner. You can bet your ass FSU and Clemson lawyers are combing through that ACC GOR contract looking for ways out early. And if not, they’re still gone in 2035. If the Big 12 adds those 6 Pac12 schools mentioned, they are a very good athletic conference top to bottom.
I keep hearing these talking points in West Virginia, but they don't make any sense. The Big 12 is losing its two most high profile members, including by far its best football program. The ACC is losing nothing at this point, and the stability argument is based upon speculation as to what may happen to the ACC in the future.

Reactions: OlegeezEER
I keep hearing these talking points in West Virginia, but they don't make any sense. The Big 12 is losing its two most high profile members, including by far its best football program. The ACC is losing nothing at this point, and the stability argument is based upon speculation as to what may happen to the ACC in the future.
If I offered you Oklahoma and Texas for Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF….who got the better deal? The Big 12 will be stronger now. IMO, it’s an easy choice. Stay in the Big12 until we see Clemson and FSU go public and say they will remove themselves from consideration for any conference and remain committed to the ACC. We know that will never happen. They are not gonna sit in the ACC making 17 million a year while USC, UCLA, Texas, Oklahoma are looking at 80-100 million a year. Remove Clemson and FSU from the ACC, and they’re done. And nowhere near the Big 12 in power.

Last edited:
Nobody knows the endgame that the BIG and the SEC have in mind other than that the BIG wants Notre Dame. After that it is all assumptions as to who they want and how many teams they want from where and when. I assume they want their own college football playoff, and they want to tell the NCAA to pound sand. Everyone assumes that one of them will want Clemson and/or Florida St. in but that may not be true. The BIG and the SEC may already have what they need to make this happen once Texas, Oklahoma, USC and UCLA are full members. They could probably do it without Notre Dame. If the BIG took Virginia and the SEC took UNC at some point, the effect on the ACC would be the same and give both conferences a presence where they currently have none. Florida and SC are already represented anyway. Follow the money.

Nobody knows the endgame that the BIG and the SEC have in mind other than that the BIG wants Notre Dame. After that it is all assumptions as to who they want and how many teams they want from where and when. I assume they want their own college football playoff, and they want to tell the NCAA to pound sand. Everyone assumes that one of them will want Clemson and/or Florida St. in but that may not be true. The BIG and the SEC may already have what they need to make this happen once Texas, Oklahoma, USC and UCLA are full members. They could probably do it without Notre Dame. If the BIG took Virginia and the SEC took UNC at some point, the effect on the ACC would be the same and give both conferences a presence where they currently have none. Florida and SC are already represented anyway. Follow the money.
One thing you are missing. And it’s huge. They NEED the NCAA. Only to keep from labor wages and taxes. It’s necessary to keep the “amateur” status. That is the only reason the NCAA is still involved. The schools would’ve left years ago.

If you're not in the Big 10 or Sec you will always be in a precarious situation. Whatever ends up transpiring between the between the Big 12, Pac 12, Acc is only temporary. The best case for the Big 12 would be for them to add the six schools from the Pac. I wouldn't bet my money on that. The pac schools are looking at all options. I think they will try their best at coming up with something more suitable. The only reason people see the Big 12 as being stable at this point is due to the fact that none of the teams are high up on the expansion wish list of other conferences. Who knows what will become of the Acc but at the moment nothing has happed. FSU and Clemson are probably unhappy with what's going on but until they get the opportunity to move there isn't much they can do at this point. I think the wvu admin would accept an invitation from the ACC. Like I stated if you're not in the Big 10 or Sec expect the conference your in to fall apart sometime down the road.

Reactions: KingCoal
If you're not in the Big 10 or Sec you will always be in a precarious situation. Whatever ends up transpiring between the between the Big 12, Pac 12, Acc is only temporary. The best case for the Big 12 would be for them to add the six schools from the Pac. I wouldn't bet my money on that. The pac schools are looking at all options. I think they will try their best at coming up with something more suitable. The only reason people see the Big 12 as being stable at this point is due to the fact that none of the teams are high up on the expansion wish list of other conferences. Who knows what will become of the Acc but at the moment nothing has happed. FSU and Clemson are probably unhappy with what's going on but until they get the opportunity to move there isn't much they can do at this point. I think the wvu admin would accept an invitation from the ACC. Like I stated if you're not in the Big 10 or Sec expect the conference your in to fall apart sometime down the road.
Accepting something to ACC will be last nail in coffin. Big 12 is currently a grave.

One thing you are missing. And it’s huge. They NEED the NCAA. Only to keep from labor wages and taxes. It’s necessary to keep the “amateur” status. That is the only reason the NCAA is still involved. The schools would’ve left years ago.

Yep, just like everyone said that the Big12 was dead. But maybe if you aren't in the BIG or the SEC you ARE dead.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
Yep, just like everyone said that the Big12 was dead. But maybe if you aren't in the BIG or the SEC you ARE dead.
If you could go back in time to 1990’s Big East Football and ask anyone who they would wager to be a more valuable football program in the future, I’m betting nobody would’ve gotten it right. Who would’ve thought Rutgers would be in the top 2 mega conferences and the rest would be the next tier. Most would’ve picked Miami and probably every other team besides Temple.

The status is no longer amateur. Athletes are being recruited with bags of money. Something tells me the SEC and Big 10 will not care about a little thing like taxes nor do they care about the NCAA. They will dump it in a heart beat.

Matt Hayes:

The SEC and Big Ten don’t need the ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12. They might need USC, UCLA, Oklahoma, Texas, Clemson, Miami, Notre Dame and Florida State to make their product deeper and stronger.

Now everyone is in self-preservation mode. Guess who wins there? The SEC and Big Ten and anyone they decide to carry along for the ride.

Ways Playoff expansion plays out.

1. A double-secret meeting in the next few months where all sides agree on a 12-team Playoff.

2. The ACC digs in and refuses to budge, the SEC and Big Ten make expansion moves to further weaken the remaining 3 Power 5 conferences.

3. The Pac-12 and Big 12 form a super conference, trying to maximize games that can draw 4 million viewers.

4. The ACC, nearly left for dead during the last round of major expansion before poaching the Big East, can’t fend off the SEC, Big Ten and newly formed Pac-12/Big 12 super conference.

It looks like Notre Dame has two chances to stay afloat as an independent. The expanded Playoff that gives the Irish more access (like the 12-team plan would), or CFB staying status quo (which won’t happen).

If the 12-team Playoff doesn’t unfold. Notre Dame has two options the SEC or the Big Ten. Clearly, the Big Ten is a better geographical fit.

SEC and Big Ten adding teams and restructuring a Playoff that fits their needs is absolutely a reality – and one television will pay top dollar for.

Look at an SEC/Big Ten combo much like you would look at the AFC and NFC in the NFL. Similar ideas.

One anonymous SEC president wrote in the survey that the Power 5 “should be an organization unto itself” and leave the NCAA.

The status is no longer amateur. Athletes are being recruited with bags of money. Something tells me the SEC and Big 10 will not care about a little thing like taxes nor do they care about the NCAA. They will dump it in a heart beat.

Matt Hayes:

The SEC and Big Ten don’t need the ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12. They might need USC, UCLA, Oklahoma, Texas, Clemson, Miami, Notre Dame and Florida State to make their product deeper and stronger.

Now everyone is in self-preservation mode. Guess who wins there? The SEC and Big Ten and anyone they decide to carry along for the ride.

Ways Playoff expansion plays out.

1. A double-secret meeting in the next few months where all sides agree on a 12-team Playoff.

2. The ACC digs in and refuses to budge, the SEC and Big Ten make expansion moves to further weaken the remaining 3 Power 5 conferences.

3. The Pac-12 and Big 12 form a super conference, trying to maximize games that can draw 4 million viewers.

4. The ACC, nearly left for dead during the last round of major expansion before poaching the Big East, can’t fend off the SEC, Big Ten and newly formed Pac-12/Big 12 super conference.

It looks like Notre Dame has two chances to stay afloat as an independent. The expanded Playoff that gives the Irish more access (like the 12-team plan would), or CFB staying status quo (which won’t happen).

If the 12-team Playoff doesn’t unfold. Notre Dame has two options the SEC or the Big Ten. Clearly, the Big Ten is a better geographical fit.

SEC and Big Ten adding teams and restructuring a Playoff that fits their needs is absolutely a reality – and one television will pay top dollar for.

Look at an SEC/Big Ten combo much like you would look at the AFC and NFC in the NFL. Similar ideas.

One anonymous SEC president wrote in the survey that the Power 5 “should be an organization unto itself” and leave the NCAA.
Wouldn't be surprised to see these greedy bastards also ruin college basketball.

Between money, transfers, and woke personalities, college sports are circling the drain and on the verge of joining the other turds at the bottom of the tank.

Wouldn't be surprised to see these greedy bastards also ruin college basketball.

Between money, transfers, and woke personalities, college sports are circling the drain and on the verge of joining the other turds at the bottom of the tank.
Time to pick out one of those Division 2 or 3 teams close by to start supporting. Either that or travel the world instead. Screw em all.

I think there are already secret meetings between the BIG and the SEC. They won't participate in any further championship talks, instead they will announce their own. I suspect the number they get to is 20 teams each, two divisions in each conference allowing for 3 out of conference or out of division games but probably none involving the 2 or 3 conferences left behind. They will have a playoff between the 4 divisions, probably the top 3 from each for 12 teams. This means that they have room for 4 more teams in each conference. ND, Oregon, Clemson, UNC and Virginia account for 5 of them, Conventional wisdom says Fla St and Miami in the remaining 3 slots but I don't think Florida gets three teams into the final mix of the big 2. I think Miami is left behind. Who for the final 2 slots? Washington? BYU? Utah? a second team from NC? or VA? Pitt? Syracuse? Louisville? and for all you hopefuls WVU? Do they dissolve the BIG and the SEC and form one National College Football Conference? Is this a way to disinvite Northwestern, Vanderbilt, a team from Mississippi? Would there be any teams left that brought as much to the table as these three? What do all the leftovers do?

I've got options. Kellogg Community College Cougars, Kalamazoo College Hornets, or the Grand Valley State Lakers?
When are you going to post your next homophobic rant?

"You're a queer gay fat guy. Stop stalking me you queer weirdo. Nobody likes a queer." -- MichiganHerd

I think there are already secret meetings between the BIG and the SEC. They won't participate in any further championship talks, instead they will announce their own. I suspect the number they get to is 20 teams each, two divisions in each conference allowing for 3 out of conference or out of division games but probably none involving the 2 or 3 conferences left behind. They will have a playoff between the 4 divisions, probably the top 3 from each for 12 teams. This means that they have room for 4 more teams in each conference. ND, Oregon, Clemson, UNC and Virginia account for 5 of them, Conventional wisdom says Fla St and Miami in the remaining 3 slots but I don't think Florida gets three teams into the final mix of the big 2. I think Miami is left behind. Who for the final 2 slots? Washington? BYU? Utah? a second team from NC? or VA? Pitt? Syracuse? Louisville? and for all you hopefuls WVU? Do they dissolve the BIG and the SEC and form one National College Football Conference? Is this a way to disinvite Northwestern, Vanderbilt, a team from Mississippi? Would there be any teams left that brought as much to the table as these three? What do all the leftovers do?
So how exactly does BYU make your list? This is a team that begged for years to get into a power 5 conference and needed defections from the big 12 to make that happen.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
So how exactly does BYU make your list? This is a team that begged for years to get into a power 5 conference and needed defections from the big 12 to make that happen.
Let’s be more observant here. BYU was not in a P5 for reasons that aren’t typical. First, they refused to play on Sundays. While that’s ok in college football, it’s not in the other major sports like basketball. Secondly, they were the Mormon version of ND whereas they wanted to be independent and were independent for a bit. Thirdly, their students are required to go on missions that last a few years. Fourthly, they have their own network. And lastly, their geographical location was not ideal outside of the Pac12, and that conference didn’t really like the mormon thing as it didn’t match the West Coast culture. Remember, BYU won a NC in 1984 and they’ve been very good in their history. They really are, only in my opinion, a sleeping giant. At the very least, they should be competitive in the Big12.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT