ADVERTISEMENT

WVU will have to come east

Let’s be more observant here. BYU was not in a P5 for reasons that aren’t typical. First, they refused to play on Sundays. While that’s ok in college football, it’s not in the other major sports like basketball. Secondly, they were the Mormon version of ND whereas they wanted to be independent and were independent for a bit. Thirdly, their students are required to go on missions that last a few years. Fourthly, they have their own network. And lastly, their geographical location was not ideal outside of the Pac12, and that conference didn’t really like the mormon thing as it didn’t match the West Coast culture. Remember, BYU won a NC in 1984 and they’ve been very good in their history. They really are, only in my opinion, a sleeping giant. At the very least, they should be competitive in the Big12.
Well they were gifted the 1984 title. There were more deserving teams than them. They are far below the choices that either Big 10 or SEC make. Theoretically BYU fits the mold of the PAC. BYU would jump at that chance especially if Utah stays. This is one team Big 12 needs to work on, Utah. BYU will either stay Big 12 or jump to weaker PAC. Depends on Utah.

The title given to them in 1984 by beating a 6-5 Michigan in the Holiday Bowl 24-17.

BYU 13-0 (with the teams they played they probably don't make current playoffs)

Pitt 3-7-1
Baylor 5-6
Tulsa 6-5
Hawaii 7-4 (5-2) (2nd place behind BYU in WAC)
Colorado State 3-8
Wyoming 6-6
Air Force 8-4
New Mexico 4-8
UTEP 2-9
San Diego State 4-7-1
Utah 6-5-1
Utah State 1-10

Team that should have won was #4 Washington 11-1 who beat #2 Oklahoma.

Reactions: OlegeezEER
Let’s be more observant here. BYU was not in a P5 for reasons that aren’t typical. First, they refused to play on Sundays. While that’s ok in college football, it’s not in the other major sports like basketball. Secondly, they were the Mormon version of ND whereas they wanted to be independent and were independent for a bit. Thirdly, their students are required to go on missions that last a few years. Fourthly, they have their own network. And lastly, their geographical location was not ideal outside of the Pac12, and that conference didn’t really like the mormon thing as it didn’t match the West Coast culture. Remember, BYU won a NC in 1984 and they’ve been very good in their history. They really are, only in my opinion, a sleeping giant. At the very least, they should be competitive in the Big12.
Byu is nothing more than a mid level power 5 program. They started the we are the Notre Dame of the west movement after the Pac 12 snubbed them in favor of Utah. Byu trying to claim there some sort of Notre Dame is a crock in itself. There are 70 million Catholics in the USA and 1.3 Billion world wide. There are only 6.5 million Mormons in the USA and 16 million world wide. That's quite a disparity. There are more Catholics in the state of California then there are Mormons in all 50 states. Byu students are not required to go on missions. It is strongly recommended but not a requirement. You don't even have to be a member of the church to attend Byu. Jim McMahon, Steve Young and Ty Detmer never served a mission. The 1984 Byu team didn't beat one team that finished in the top 25. Lastly the state of Utah is a small population state and no one outside of a few states in the intermountain west really care about them.

Byu is nothing more than a mid level power 5 program. They started the we are the Notre Dame of the west movement after the Pac 12 snubbed them in favor of Utah. Byu trying to claim there some sort of Notre Dame is a crock in itself. There are 70 million Catholics in the USA and 1.3 Billion world wide. There are only 6.5 million Mormons in the USA and 16 million world wide. That's quite a disparity. There are more Catholics in the state of California then there are Mormons in all 50 states. Byu students are not required to go on missions. It is strongly recommended but not a requirement. You don't even have to be a member of the church to attend Byu. Jim McMahon, Steve Young and Ty Detmer never served a mission. The 1984 Byu team didn't beat one team that finished in the top 25. Lastly the state of Utah is a small population state and no one outside of a few states in the intermountain west really care about them.
Sounds like WVU without the championship.

BYU has a good football program. They've beaten a large number of so called "power" programs (5-0 against PAC 12 last season alone), have a good sized stadium that gets big crowds despite having to play lots of teams pitt fans wouldn't be happy with. A good national following as well.

They won a national championship.

BYU has a good football program. They've beaten a large number of so called "power" programs (5-0 against PAC 12 last season alone), have a good sized stadium that gets big crowds despite having to play lots of teams pitt fans wouldn't be happy with. A good national following as well.

They won a national championship.
They were given a national championship by beating a 6-5 Michigan team. Quit swallowing the Mormon pipeline. It took the Big 12 running out of teams to add to finally give them a chance.

They were given a national championship by beating a 6-5 Michigan team. Quit swallowing the Mormon pipeline. It took the Big 12 running out of teams to add to finally give them a chance.
I gave you the reasons BYU wasn’t in a P5 until now. They were always a P5 caliber program.

The ACC is not ever going to invite WVU, it will only work with others to undermine WVU.

Not sure what else has to happen for people to comprehend this.

Stop being such an anti Christian bigot. Did a Morman steal your boyfriend?

The BigXII messed up when they added BYU, they will sink the conference. Just like ND did to the Big East and what they’re doing now to the ACC.

The BigXII messed up when they added BYU, they will sink the conference. Just like ND did to the Big East and what they’re doing now to the ACC.
Huh? BYU is one of the most respected college football brands even coming from the independent ranks. How exactly would they sink the conference?

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
They crippled the MWC with their demands and only one foot in the room. They think and act just like ND.

I was alright with the BigXII UNTIL they added them. Never did liked TCU in the conference but they were at least a little bit tolerable. The league always needed to come east not west.

WVU NEEDS TO DO ALL THEY CAN TO GET ONTO THE SEC. It’s where they belong.

True, ( they are not really P5 )but outside of catholics nobody likes ND either.

If I offered you Oklahoma and Texas for Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF….who got the better deal? The Big 12 will be stronger now. IMO, it’s an easy choice. Stay in the Big12 until we see Clemson and FSU go public and say they will remove themselves from consideration for any conference and remain committed to the ACC. We know that will never happen. They are not gonna sit in the ACC making 17 million a year while USC, UCLA, Texas, Oklahoma are looking at 80-100 million a year. Remove Clemson and FSU from the ACC, and they’re done. And nowhere near the Big 12 in power.
Losing OUT and adding those 6 is a HUGE WIN for the B12. In the beginning the pet team payoff may not be as good. BUT ..... Not having to put up with the attitude of OU & TX and the Longhorn Network makes it worthwhile. Now we may get a full B12 Network that pays some real money.
Also have 18 teams that want to be partners in a conference instead of tes that think they are better than everybody else.
Add 2 more in the East and I'll be happy.

Losing OUT and adding those 6 is a HUGE WIN for the B12. In the beginning the pet team payoff may not be as good. BUT ..... Not having to put up with the attitude of OU & TX and the Longhorn Network makes it worthwhile. Now we may get a full B12 Network that pays some real money.
Also have 18 teams that want to be partners in a conference instead of tes that think they are better than everybody else.
Now just need it all to happen and not be a fairy tale story.

Byu is much much worse than Texas and not worthwhile.

They crippled the MWC with their demands and only one foot in the room. They think and act just like ND.

I was alright with the BigXII UNTIL they added them. Never did liked TCU in the conference but they were at least a little bit tolerable. The league always needed to come east not west.

The MWC and the BIG 12 have nothing in common. The BIG 12 is in no danger of becoming subservient to BYU.

WVU can only win and. Try to garner tv ratings to become attractive in realignment, but the reality is the BIG 12 is and continues to be WVUs conference home, so they have to do what is possible to thrive in it and see to the BIG 12s success.

Adding BYU is a part of that future success.

The MWC and the BIG 12 have nothing in common. The BIG 12 is in no danger of becoming subservient to BYU.

WVU can only win and. Try to garner tv ratings to become attractive in realignment, but the reality is the BIG 12 is and continues to be WVUs conference home, so they have to do what is possible to thrive in it and see to the BIG 12s success.

Adding BYU is a part of that future success.
So misguided. Commonality is that they are leagues. Byu sets forth conditions for them. It has been reported they have already tried even before they’re officially in the conference. There’s no success partnering with them. Beating them does nothing to give you a shine.
College football is heading to a Power2 and if you’re not in there then you’re falling down. Sad but true.

So misguided. Commonality is that they are leagues. Byu sets forth conditions for them. It has been reported they have already tried even before they’re officially in the conference. There’s no success partnering with them. Beating them does nothing to give you a shine.
College football is heading to a Power2 and if you’re not in there then you’re falling down. Sad but true.
Even if somehow your doom and gloom becomes reality for WVU and the Big12, I could care less. The current state of major college football is not something to be envious of. It’s embarrassing. In no way do the current actions of these conferences (SEC and Big10) represent anything good for student athletes.

Even if somehow your doom and gloom becomes reality for WVU and the Big12, I could care less. The current state of major college football is not something to be envious of. It’s embarrassing. In no way do the current actions of these conferences (SEC and Big10) represent anything good for student athletes.
No disagreement there.

There is no commonality. The BIG 12 is a power league with long established schools with more cache than BYU. The MWC may have been beholden to BYU, but the BIG 12 has no such issues. They have no power over the other schools, they are lucky to have been added by the remaining 8 and know it.

Some want a “ power two”. But schools like BYU in the BIG 12 help that conference in having a say as to whether that occurs or not.

There is no commonality. The BIG 12 is a power league with long established schools with more cache than BYU. The MWC may have been beholden to BYU, but the BIG 12 has no such issues. They have no power over the other schools, they are lucky to have been added by the remaining 8 and know it.

Some want a “ power two”. But schools like BYU in the BIG 12 help that conference in having a say as to whether that occurs or not.
Keep believing that.

I don't know if its fair to say that BYU crippled the MWC. Utah left for the pac 12 and Tcu left for the big 12. The conference became to watered down and it wasn't worth them sticking around.

Keep believing that.
I believe in facts. You should try it sometime Instead of making up stories about newly invited members wielding Notre Dame or Texas level power over an existing power conference. It’s laughable on it’s face.

I believe in facts. You should try it sometime Instead of making up stories about newly invited members wielding Notre Dame or Texas level power over an existing power conference. It’s laughable on it’s face.
Obviously you don’t

Yeah, the thing he’s forgetting is nobody beat them. Granted, BYU wouldn’t be in the playoff today with that schedule. Neither would 1988 WVU and their schedule.
Beat a 6-5 Michigan in a minor bowl. BYU gifted National Championship.

I think there are already secret meetings between the BIG and the SEC. They won't participate in any further championship talks, instead they will announce their own. I suspect the number they get to is 20 teams each, two divisions in each conference allowing for 3 out of conference or out of division games but probably none involving the 2 or 3 conferences left behind. They will have a playoff between the 4 divisions, probably the top 3 from each for 12 teams. This means that they have room for 4 more teams in each conference. ND, Oregon, Clemson, UNC and Virginia account for 5 of them, Conventional wisdom says Fla St and Miami in the remaining 3 slots but I don't think Florida gets three teams into the final mix of the big 2. I think Miami is left behind. Who for the final 2 slots? Washington? BYU? Utah? a second team from NC? or VA? Pitt? Syracuse? Louisville? and for all you hopefuls WVU? Do they dissolve the BIG and the SEC and form one National College Football Conference? Is this a way to disinvite Northwestern, Vanderbilt, a team from Mississippi? Would there be any teams left that brought as much to the table as these three? What do all the leftovers do?
You guys. I give a list of who I think might have a ghost of a chance of being one of the last 2 teams invited to the BIG/SEC cabal that includes UW, Utah, NC St, VA Tech, Pitt, Syracuse,Louisville and WVU and you only question BYU?
I just hope they close the membership soon so that the rest of those left out can get on with dealing with the new reality. Not my idea, but some one suggested that those left out NEVER play the BIG/SEC in any sport. Don't let them pad their early won/loss record with OOC patsies. Force them to play each other and take their lumps.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
You guys. I give a list of who I think might have a ghost of a chance of being one of the last 2 teams invited to the BIG/SEC cabal that includes UW, Utah, NC St, VA Tech, Pitt, Syracuse,Louisville and WVU and you only question BYU?
I just hope they close the membership soon so that the rest of those left out can get on with dealing with the new reality. Not my idea, but some one suggested that those left out NEVER play the BIG/SEC in any sport. Don't let them pad their early won/loss record with OOC patsies. Force them to play each other and take their lumps.
Ideally, that would be morally the right thing to do. However, it’s a huge amount of money forfeited by a school choosing not to face one of them. Same reason Marshall desperately wanted to play 1 for 1 with WVU. It’s about money for the nobodies.

It’s going to be awhile before anyone gets around to eliminating the majority of college football for the benefit of 4 or 5 schools and their hangers on.

see 2036.

When was the last football championship gifted to WVU? Oh wait...the next one would be the first one.
WVU was unbeaten and so was their opponent when they played Notre Dame. It wasn't a 6-5 thank God we made a Bowl type team.

It’s going to be awhile before anyone gets around to eliminating the majority of college football for the benefit of 4 or 5 schools and their hangers on.

see 2036.
PAC could eliminate Big 12 now.
Big 12 could eliminate PAC now
ACC could eliminate both now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT