ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD WVU vs. Rhode Island

Are we allowed to play some zone to possibly stop free drives to the basket and protect both centers who have 2 fouls?
Also if you can’t make a 3 perhaps take it inside.

Just got home and have watched about 10 minutes. This is one of the worst games I’ve ever seen us play...going back to the ECAC/eastern 8 days. Either Rhode Island is a lot better than I thought or we’re in for a long season.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Just got home and have watched about 10 minutes. This is one of the worst games I’ve ever seen us play...going back to the ECAC/eastern 8 days. Either Rhode Island is a lot better than I thought or we’re in for a long season.

Long season ahead. This team is a trainwreck. It's a group that does nothing well. Not a good team at all.

The 5 guards were a combined 6-for-29 with 8 turnovers and 3 assists.

Worst collection of guards for a WVU team since when? The Catlett era?

I trust Huggs will do what is best, he is a proven coach. I like to think he will have them running on the treadmill until they vomit .

Wow. We looked terrible.

We didn't "look", we ARE terrible.......bad team, bad play, bad coaching.....all levels this year. As a coach Huggs needs to adjust to his type of players he has.....and we aren't "Press Virginia" this year. Should never have been pressing after the first week of the season. Not creating turnovers, not getting points from turnovers, and fouling too much leading to FT points for the other team. Yet, we still press..........If the upperclassmen aren't getting it done, play the young guys.

Routt = not a D-1 player, but getting minutes that Gordon could use to get better
Harler = D-1 shooter, that's it......too many minutes
West = Needs to leave, if things don't go his way he just becomes a zombie out there
Sags = is he hurt? is he healthy? time for him to go to the NBA and have his career in the G-League.

I trust Huggs will do what is best, he is a proven coach. I like to think he will have them running on the treadmill until they vomit .

Yeah, because that fixes bad play. [eyeroll] You know what fixes bad play? Putting the players in a system they can play. This team isn't "Press Virginia", yet we still are doing it. This team cannot run the same motion offense we did last year, yet we still run it to nauseam. Dribble or do hand offs for 25 seconds to hurry up and fire up a shot with 3 seconds on the shot clock.

Rhode Island lost to powerhaouses like Charleston, Stony Brook and Providence.

The blame for this has to go all the way to the top.

Please don't talk to me about a "Hall of Fame" coach. That crap is played out.

Rhode Island lost to powerhaouses like Charleston, Stony Brook and Providence.

The blame for this has to go all the way to the top.

Please don't talk to me about a "Hall of Fame" coach. That crap is played out.

Huggs is a HOF coach. But he's not looking like it this year. Playing time for some is puzzling. Not adjusting our style of offense/defense is puzzling.

The last time Huggs looked like a Hall of Fame coach he was coaching Beilein's players.

And THEY were pretty much coaching themselves.

The last time Huggs looked like a Hall of Fame coach he was coaching Beilein's players.

And THEY were pretty much coaching themselves.

Truck = Huggs Recruit
Jones = Huggs recruit
Ebanks = Huggs recruit

And you didn't answer those two questions......I'll take that as I'm right. Grier quit.

Yeah, because that fixes bad play. [eyeroll] You know what fixes bad play? Putting the players in a system they can play. This team isn't "Press Virginia", yet we still are doing it. This team cannot run the same motion offense we did last year, yet we still run it to nauseam. Dribble or do hand offs for 25 seconds to hurry up and fire up a shot with 3 seconds on the shot clock.

Hey guys look at the poster that thinks he’s a better coach than Hugs haha.

Reactions: ChattanoogaEER
I hate to say I told you so right after the Pitt game, but West Virginia isnt going to get a way with hack a player all game long against normal refs and teams. West Virginia got big time homerism in the Pitt game with the refs. In all your other losses, 25+ plus fouls is more normal. 30 fouls against Florida, 28 against St. Louis. Had the Pitt game been called fairly, Konate would have had 10+ fouls alone. It doesnt matter, the game is over.

Its going to be even worse in the Big 12 however as your simply not getting away with it. You arent going to get away with that sort of hacking defense swatting and jumping into people to block shots every single defensive possession. Playing someone like Kansas or Oklahoma the whole team might foul out with normal refs. It is what it is. Long year coming...

I hate to say I told you so right after the Pitt game, but West Virginia isnt going to get a way with hack a player all game long against normal refs and teams. West Virginia got big time homerism in the Pitt game with the refs.

You do realize the Pitt game had 3 ACC officials working it, don't you?

You do realize the Pitt game had 3 ACC officials working it, don't you?

I dont care who officiated the game or from what league. If you watch college basketball now around the country from whichever league you choose, you cant play like a Big East team anymore on defense like that. It happened in 1 game where the refs swallowed whistles. Thats an anomaly. Its not the norm anymore and expecting it to be simply isnt going to happen. Your losses this year because of the fouls is the norm. Ill check back in a month to see where you are at. More losses will follow because of normal fouls by todays rules. Either fix the defense and the fouls, or losses a plenty are coming.

You obviously haven't been watching at all because this team is not losing because of fouls. This team has many problems, and they are great, but fouling is way down the list.

And don't bring up the Pitt game again. When you do, the aroma of sour grapes is overpowering.

You obviously haven't been watching at all because this team is not losing because of fouls. This team has many problems, and they are great, but fouling is way down the list.

And don't bring up the Pitt game again. When you do, the aroma of sour grapes is overpowering.

Im not sour. I dont even hate West Virginia sports. Or Penn State for that matter. I call it like it see it. If you think 30 fouls in a loss is normal, I dont know what else to say. You'll see in time how big of a problem it is when if you dont fix the issue. If you are getting 30 fouls a game vs Florida and Rhode Island that is big, big time problems on defense. Kansas, Oklahoma and other Big 12 teams is going to be major trouble. And playing those games on the road with home cooking mixed in, like I said, your whole team may foul out against someone like Kansas or Oklahoma.

I dont care who officiated the game or from what league. If you watch college basketball now around the country from whichever league you choose, you cant play like a Big East team anymore on defense like that. It happened in 1 game where the refs swallowed whistles. Thats an anomaly. Its not the norm anymore and expecting it to be simply isnt going to happen. Your losses this year because of the fouls is the norm. Ill check back in a month to see where you are at. More losses will follow because of normal fouls by todays rules. Either fix the defense and the fouls, or losses a plenty are coming.

^^^^^^^^He’s not wrong ya know^^^^^^^^

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT