ADVERTISEMENT

🔥🔥BREAKING🔥🔥 WVU and Koenning Agree to Mutually Separate

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – The West Virginia University Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and football defensive coordinator Vic Koenning have mutually agreed to separate.

Koenning came to West Virginia in 2019 after previously working with Coach Neal Brown at Troy. He had two seasons remaining on his contract at a value of $1,074,059. The separation agreement from WVU calls for Koenning to be paid $591,451 over the next 19 months.

WVU Director of Athletics and Associate Vice President Shane Lyons:
"This mutual separation is in the best interest of our football program. Coach Brown and I have set high expectations for our coaches, staff and student-athletes, and it is that culture that will allow us to compete for championships. We are moving forward as a program and our coaches, staff and student-athletes have my complete confidence and support."

WVU Head Football Coach Neal Brown:
"As I've stated previously, I care deeply about Vic and every player, coach, staff member, and administrator who touches our program. This decision was not made lightly and both parties agree that it places us in the best position to positively move forward. Vic has meant a lot to this program over the past 18 months and to me, personally, for our time together both here and at Troy University. I know that Vic will find continued success as a coach. However, Vic and I both reached the conclusion that the current circumstances make continuing in his role as Defensive Coordinator challenging. At the end of the day, we all – Vic included – want what is best for our program."

Coach Vic Koenning:
"I remain apologetic to anyone who perceived something I said or did as hurtful. That was never my intent. I wish to thank all the current and former players, coaches and colleagues – of all different ethnicities and backgrounds – whose support and encouragement have been invaluable to me and my family. I am relieved the process is over but will be forever changed by the experience. Personally, I'd love to get back to coaching our guys, but I know that doing so would create additional scrutiny and lingering distractions for our program. Taking all this into consideration, we have come to this mutual decision to separate. I will always be grateful for the relationships formed with so many players, coaches and WVU supporters. I am not done coaching. I remain passionate about leading young men and look forward to the next coaching chapter in my life. I wish nothing but the best for all Mountaineers."

Koenning and Koenning alone gave our rivals another tool for their recruiting belts... Criminal behavior? No problem, coaches overlook DUIs, theft, robbery and cracking some poor kid's scull open w/ a pool cue for the Ws all the time. Run the law hill and sit out directional cupcake. But politics and religion cross the line, son. And I'm going to force my views down your throat 'till you think like me or or hit the highway. The hypocrisy is mind blowing.

Actually Shayne, you compete for championships by getting the best coaches and players you can get. You just lost a very good coach over a couple weak minded kids and their cancel culture mental illness. This is not the way to win championships at all. What are we trying to do create a culture of weakness and dishonesty? People are not allowed to have their own opinions? Why dont we just change our uniforms to pink flowered mumu's. This does not represent WV at all. This represents the liberal media and the out of control SJW's and the unhinged far left. Not a dime from me anymore, and I wont be watching. They should give the players mini mouse face masks and tell them that the real adult world is easy and caters to their feelings and desires at every turn. Wimps.

Some people need to turn off the political bullshit.

They are screwing with your mind. Feeding you a bunch of bullshit.

For whatever reason you have to politicize absolutely everything.

Athletic department needs a spine more than a replacement DC.

Until athletics at colleges revert back to a non scholarship...merit based...school focused position the thirst for money and living life through how high an 18 semi lierate kid can jump...there will nothing but spineless AD's like in over his head Shane.

Last edited:
Until athletics at colleges revert back to a non scholarship...merit based...school focused position the thirst for money and living life through how high an 18 simi lierate kid can jump...there will nothing but spineless AD's like in over his head Shane.

[laughing][laughing]

This just made my day.

You think everything is about you are your narrow minded agenda. You claim your superiority but show you are actually semi literate yourself.
Stop projecting

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – The West Virginia University Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and football defensive coordinator Vic Koenning have mutually agreed to separate.

Koenning came to West Virginia in 2019 after previously working with Coach Neal Brown at Troy. He had two seasons remaining on his contract at a value of $1,074,059. The separation agreement from WVU calls for Koenning to be paid $591,451 over the next 19 months.

WVU Director of Athletics and Associate Vice President Shane Lyons:
"This mutual separation is in the best interest of our football program. Coach Brown and I have set high expectations for our coaches, staff and student-athletes, and it is that culture that will allow us to compete for championships. We are moving forward as a program and our coaches, staff and student-athletes have my complete confidence and support."

WVU Head Football Coach Neal Brown:
"As I've stated previously, I care deeply about Vic and every player, coach, staff member, and administrator who touches our program. This decision was not made lightly and both parties agree that it places us in the best position to positively move forward. Vic has meant a lot to this program over the past 18 months and to me, personally, for our time together both here and at Troy University. I know that Vic will find continued success as a coach. However, Vic and I both reached the conclusion that the current circumstances make continuing in his role as Defensive Coordinator challenging. At the end of the day, we all – Vic included – want what is best for our program."

Coach Vic Koenning:
"I remain apologetic to anyone who perceived something I said or did as hurtful. That was never my intent. I wish to thank all the current and former players, coaches and colleagues – of all different ethnicities and backgrounds – whose support and encouragement have been invaluable to me and my family. I am relieved the process is over but will be forever changed by the experience. Personally, I'd love to get back to coaching our guys, but I know that doing so would create additional scrutiny and lingering distractions for our program. Taking all this into consideration, we have come to this mutual decision to separate. I will always be grateful for the relationships formed with so many players, coaches and WVU supporters. I am not done coaching. I remain passionate about leading young men and look forward to the next coaching chapter in my life. I wish nothing but the best for all Mountaineers."

Shame Lyons and NB are a match made in a total clown show.

Reactions: wvvidd
Oh my, Heaven forbid someone be called a retard. Oh the humanity.....

Shane Lyons has no spine and neither does the university. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Neal Brown bolt at the earliest opportunity since I’m sure this was a top-down decision. What a joke of an administration.

I'm not standing in his way, if he wants to win football games he can go ahead and do it.

Thats actually his job, btw....

But Lyons may very well be. If NB didn't lobby to keep Vic, then it is on him. However, the buck ultimately stops at Lyons and without more information it has to be presumed that he did not want to give Vic a chance to save face. Now maybe Vic did say something that warrants this separation, but the current information is that vague accusations to social media about possible bigoted words is all it takes to get fired by the WVU athletic department.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
But Lyons may very well be. If NB didn't lobby to keep Vic, then it is on him. However, the buck ultimately stops at Lyons and without more information it has to be presumed that he did not want to give Vic a chance to save face. Now maybe Vic did say something that warrants this separation, but the current information is that vague accusations to social media about possible bigoted words is all it takes to get fired by the WVU athletic department.

That's just it. They gave nobody information about the investigation and if this happened in the past. If there was even an investigation. Could have been a money negotiation from the get go to let Vic go. Information about this investigation could have shed light on the issue.

Sports in general have been hijacked by SJW's. There was an OR high school football coach who was just fired because he's also a police officer. He didnt do anything or say anything, he just has a side job that didnt fit the crazy ppl mob's vision of what they want him to be. This is out of hand. I'm literally turning all of it off, and I hope millions of people do the same until these people grow up and earn our viewership again. Its is not even fun anymore. Sports are now stressful and ridiculous.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
Sports in general have been hijacked by SJW's. There was an OR high school football coach who was just fired because he's also a police officer. He didnt do anything or say anything, he just has a side job that didnt fit the crazy ppl mob's vision of what they want him to be. This is out of hand. I'm literally turning all of it off, and I hope millions of people do the same until these people grow up and earn our viewership again. Its is not even fun anymore. Sports are now stressful and ridiculous.

Breitbart isn't at fault?

Their politicization of sports is what caused a lot of this nonsense.

Actually laughing at people who can get manipulated to a point where they hate their own school...

Kudos to TownesVanDolt on turning this political. He’s still bitter since HiLary lost

He and his multiple profile ego's tend to turn every thread off topic. But apparently that's not an issue here. So I don't know why we have an off topic forum.

I've tried to get back to talking sports on this forum only but the egotistical bastard TVZ will argue the sky is grey not blue just to turn a thread off topic.

Calling someone a retard is unacceptable, so there's that...but anyone who has ever been to a football practice knows unacceptable words come by the truck load.

They are simply using that as a crutch to dismiss him because he committed the gravest of sins - he angered social justice warriors and NB/Shame Lyings folded like cheap suits.

I wouldn’t feel too sorry for Vic Koenning

think about it

Koenning is gonna get a GUARANTEED $591k to stay home for 19 months or better stated not be a paid coach. Btw That’s $31+ k a month. He’s in his mid 50s so I doubt he’s wasted his $$$$ on hookers and cocaine-at least not for himself.
Plus if they ever get back to football (see 2021) some SEC school will likely hire him as an defensive analyst. And before you say no way, Sgt Carter ie Butch Jones got hired by Bama to do it for how many years? And he’s the dumbest SOB ever to do a presser (see after every loss with “Champions for life”. & “They’re my heroes!” & my favorite “We do what the card says”. On and the analyst pay doesn’t subtract from his $591k severance pay.

It’s actually a great deal to be released if you have a multi year deal given what coaches are making.

as for the justification for it, I don’t get wrapped up in it. I never get that invested in it anymore. I enjoy the experience and the fun. The whole sport is just entertainment to me. It’s my favorite entertainment and I don’t even see it being played in 2020.

I think Vic Koenning is getting a guaranteed pay out and I wonder if other coaches on staff will get that after much or all of the season is gone cause there won’t be a full season in 2020.

I wouldn’t feel too sorry for Vic Koenning

think about it

Koenning is gonna get a GUARANTEED $591k to stay home for 19 months or better stated not be a paid coach. Btw That’s $31+ k a month. He’s in his mid 50s so I doubt he’s wasted his $$$$ on hookers and cocaine-at least not for himself.
Plus if they ever get back to football (see 2021) some SEC school will likely hire him as an defensive analyst. And before you say no way, Sgt Carter ie Butch Jones got hired by Bama to do it for how many years? And he’s the dumbest SOB ever to do a presser (see after every loss with “Champions for life”. & “They’re my heroes!” & my favorite “We do what the card says”. On and the analyst pay doesn’t subtract from his $591k severance pay.

It’s actually a great deal to be released if you have a multi year deal given what coaches are making.

as for the justification for it, I don’t get wrapped up in it. I never get that invested in it anymore. I enjoy the experience and the fun. The whole sport is just entertainment to me. It’s my favorite entertainment and I don’t even see it being played in 2020.

I think Vic Koenning is getting a guaranteed pay out and I wonder if other coaches on staff will get that after much or all of the season is gone cause there won’t be a full season in 2020.

He is 60. No I don't feel sorry for him. But I don't think he had the chance for his voice to be heard in the accusation. It was assumed that everything Martin said was true.

He is 60. No I don't feel sorry for him. But I don't think he had the chance for his voice to be heard in the accusation. It was assumed that everything Martin said was true.

I agree with you there but I think the reality is he likely will probably be in about the same boat money wise cause I don’t see a season being play in 2020 and all these contracts for coaches will get cut. For 40 seasons and an average attendance of about 53k with a butt every 16-18” for 6 Saturdays a year at new mountaineer field it has paid for everything in the AD. That ain’t happening in 2020.

According to google the median WV household income in WV is $44921 a year. Vic is getting over $31k a month. I say you can can my ass anytime for that deal and I’ll be unavailable to be reached on the lake, at the beach, or in the tree stand.

I truly believe after this pandemic that sports won’t be what they have been.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVUALLEN
Oh my, Heaven forbid someone be called a retard. Oh the humanity.....

Shane Lyons has no spine and neither does the university. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Neal Brown bolt at the earliest opportunity since I’m sure this was a top-down decision. What a joke of an administration.
I agree. I like him and would love to see him stay. But when the administration shows ZERO backbone and allows the kids to dictate what is happens.. well, I can see him looking elsewhere.

Shameful and disgusting. Where's due process for Coach Vic? It's laughable that Martin's social media posts are riddled with holes and inaccuracies, yet Coach Vic comes clean and offers an apology yet is still shown the door by WVU. Wouldn't this be something that should result in a warning or corrective action at worst by HR standards? Nothing Vic did, in my opinion, warrants his being dismissed essentially from his job because he's a Christian man doing his job as a football coach who may have used some harsh language.

Reactions: Rootmaster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT